MIKA in concert with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra

guylainem123

As we found out yesterday, (and confirmed by Mika himself via twitter)

Mika will be performing with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra on February 10 and 11 2015

Here is the full article from Montreal's La Presse newspaper

(see translation below)

Mika et Les Trois Accords en concert avec l'OSM

817246-immense-vedette-internationale-mika-vendu_zps75e3bde9.jpg

Immense vedette internationale, Mika a vendu plus de neuf millions d'albums dans le monde depuis qu'il a été révélé grâce à Life in Cartoon Motion, en 2007.

L'OSM se prépare à frapper un grand coup avec son volet populaire pour la saison 2014-2015, a appris La Presse. En effet, la star de la pop britannique Mika donnera deux spectacles à la Maison symphonique de Montréal en février 2015 avec l'orchestre, selon des sources proches du chanteur. Le groupe québécois Les Trois Accords sera également de la programmation qui doit être annoncée la semaine prochaine.

Immense vedette internationale, Mika a vendu plus de neuf millions d'albums dans le monde depuis qu'il a été révélé grâce à Life in Cartoon Motion, en 2007. L'artiste, qui est né au Liban et parle très bien français, n'en sera pas à sa première participation à des projets au Québec, puisqu'il était invité à l'émission Star Académie en 2012. La même année, il a aussi donné un spectacle à l'International de montgolfières de Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu.

Le chanteur de 30 ans se sentira certainement à l'aise avec un orchestre symphonique, puisqu'il a reçu lui-même une éducation musicale classique. D'abord élève au sein de la Schola Cantorum de St. Philip's, une école catholique de garçons qui se consacrait au chant choral pour l'Oratoire de Londres, il a aussi étudié au Royal College of Music. De plus, il a suivi des cours de chant avec la soprano russe Alla Ababerdyeva. Il est actuellement juge à l'émission The Voice en France.

Les dates prévues de ses concerts avec l'OSM sont les 10 et 11 février 2015.

Une tradition

Après Michel Rivard, Les Respectables, Bruno Pelletier, Isabelle Boulay, Corey Hart, Simple Plan, Coeur de pirate, Fred Pellerin, Marie-Mai et tant d'autres artistes québécois populaires, ce sera au tour des Trois Accords de collaborer avec l'OSM la saison prochaine. Les deux concerts auront lieu les 30 septembre et 1er octobre 2014.

La plupart des orchestres symphoniques nord-américains proposent à leur public un volet populaire depuis longtemps. Ainsi, cette année, le New York Philharmonic présente un concert en compagnie de la chanteuse country-folk Mary Chapin Carpenter et des invités tels que Joan Baez. Le New Jersey Symphony, dirigé par le Québécois Jacques Lacombe, a programmé des concerts avec thématiques «Motown» et «Broadway».

À l'OSM, cette tradition pop remonte au début des années 70. En 1971, Robert Charlebois, Claude Léveillée et Gilles Vigneault ont participé à une série populaire estivale. Dans la première décennie des années 2000, la série Les Week-ends pop de l'OSM avait vu passer Sylvain Cossette, Luck Mervil et DobaCaracol, entre autres.

Depuis quelques années, l'audace des collaborations démontre une volonté de l'orchestre d'aller au-delà de la pop symphonique conventionnelle pour proposer des formules de plus en plus étonnantes et originales, rehaussées par l'ambiance et l'acoustique de la Maison symphonique.

TRANSLATION:

BhUYulfIgAA4GSkjpg-large_zpse5cf18d0.jpg

Newspaper front page, courtesy of Cathouzouf

Renowned International Star , Mika has sold over nine million albums worldwide since his first album Life in Cartoon Motion in 2007.

The MSO is preparing to strike a blow with its popular program for the 2014-2015 season, La Presse has learned. Indeed, the British pop star Mika will perform two shows at the Maison Symphonique de Montréal in February 2015 with the orchestra, according to sources close to the singer. Québec group Les Trois Accords will also take part in the programming which should be announced next week .

Mega International Star, Mika has sold over nine million albums worldwide since his breakthrough album Life in Cartoon Motion in 2007. The artist, who was born in Lebanon and speaks French very well, will not be his first participation in Québec projects, since he was a guest in 2012 on Star Academy. The same year, he performed at the International Balloon Festival of Saint -Jean- sur- Richelieu.

The 30 years old singer will certainly feel comfortable with a symphony orchestra, as he received a classical music education. First student in the Schola Cantorum of St. Philip's, a Catholic boys' school which was dedicated to choral singing for the London Oratory, Mika also studied at the Royal College of Music. In addition, he took singing lessons with the Russian soprano Alla Ababerdyeva. Mika is currently a judge on The Voice in France.

The planned dates of his concerts with the MSO are 10 and 11 February 2015.

A tradition

After Michel Rivard, Les Respectables, Bruno Pelletier, Isabelle Boulay, Corey Hart, Simple Plan, Coeur de pirate, Fred Pellerin, Marie-Mai and many other popular Québec artists, it was the turn of Trois Accords to collaborate with the MSO in the upcoming season. Their concerts will be held on 30 September and 1 October 2014.

Most North American symphony orchestras offer their audience a popular feature for many years. So this year , the New York Philharmonic presents a concert with the country-folk singer Mary Chapin Carpenter and guests such as Joan Baez . New Jersey Symphony led by Quebecer Jacques Lacombe, has scheduled concerts featuring "Motown" and "Broadway".

At the MSO, this pop tradition dates back to the early 70s. In 1971, Robert Charlebois, Claude Léveillée and Gilles Vigneault participated in a popular summer series . In the first decade of the 2000s, the MSO pop weekends series had singers such as Sylvain Cossette, Luck Mervil and DobaCaracol, among others.

In recent years, daring collaborations demonstrates a willingness of the orchestra to go beyond the conventional symphonic pop and propose more surprising and original performances, enhanced by the ambiance and acoustics of the Maison symphonique.

Edited by guylainem123

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you're wondering what these concerts are all about, here is the one they made with Simple Plan http://youtu.be/7ory04vCihw (so they do film some from time to time, this one was broadcast on TV afterwards)

Wow that's amazing, huge! So Mika's style! At first I was a bit egotistic and thought "ok what's the big deal, so another gig, blah blah" But now I see it's very serious and such an honour... also by his tweet. I'm super happy for him and his career!

At least I hope we'll get some headlines in the world's news? :teehee:

I totally want a DVD!!!:wub2:

Edited by lollipop161

thank you!!

wow, it's a dream concert, a very special project, I do wish I could attend! :swoon:

I went to see one of their concert last fall with Adam Cohen and Coeur de Pirate. All through the concert, all I could think of was: it would be so totally amazing to see Mika perform here... Hence why I suggest him to them:blush-anim-cl:

I really wish all of you could attend...

I went to see one of their concert last fall with Adam Cohen and Coeur de Pirate. All through the concert, all I could think of was: it would be so totally amazing to see Mika perform here... Hence why I suggest him to them:blush-anim-cl:

:thumb_yello: Kudos Cathrine - this's too amazing for words !!! It might be thanks to you that MIKA now will be there - you must feel so, so happy !! :wub2:

And YES, we should all be there for MIKA at this special event - collected from all the different countries we represent, like the UN ...:aah:

Love,love

me

350 days, the countdown is already started for me. I'll be there, it's not even an option. Probably both day if possible. This is going to be so AMAZING. And I'm a violinist so my two favourite musics together will be fantastic to see. :fisch:

For those who are coming, I can't wait to see you there ! :boing:

I'm so excited, was talking about it to my mom, so so happy! Can't wait to see you all :wub2:

350 days, the countdown is already started for me. I'll be there, it's not even an option. Probably both day if possible. This is going to be so AMAZING. And I'm a violinist so my two favourite musics together will be fantastic to see. :fisch:

For those who are coming, I can't wait to see you there ! :boing:

Hey I'm a pianist too, wanna make an orchestra? :naughty::teehee:

It's amazing news, really -- one of Mika's projects that we can all support, I think! :thumb_yello:

I just can't believe we have to wait a whole year! :wait:

I just can't believe we actually have notice!!!!

Well done Cath :thumb_yello: brilliant.

Isn't there the minor problem of being able to get tickets first? :wink2:

We can always rely on Silver to bring reality into any situation :naughty: