2011 - MIKA @ Festival Mares Vivas, Oporto, Portugal 16 July - REPORTS/PICTURES/VIDEOS

Fmbm

Sorry, just posted in the other thread! Here we go. Also, we have some pics etc but I can post them tomorrow. Need to sleeep!

have just gotten back from Mares Vivas festival, and it's 4:23 am. I'll give a pretty short report before bed, let's see...

So after the awesome meetup yesterday, we had all made some plans for a "gathering" :naughty: around noon for picnic, etc. Indy (77red) and I showed up at the festival gate at noon and mingled with fans. We were initially numbered but Ingie + Mary + crew showed up around 12:30 and sorted things out. Yup, NO NUMBERS! We all put "1" on our hands though :naughty:

So we hung out, basically just groups of people sitting outside festival gates. We sprayed the red in our hair (to make fun of Mika), had to listen to Cranberries fans play all their music....Around 4 they moved people out into the street and we were up against barriers while they set up the entrance lines. When they opened the gate, they were SO SLOW searching bags. Once you got through the initial gate it was basically every fan for him/herself...I just remember SPRINTING towards the second barrier and the people at the beer stands were all cheering everyone on. I should have brought running shoes because mine were NOT made for the race of your life.

Luckily I got onto the front row of the second barrier as well. They opened those up within aboutt 5 minutes and it was another mad dash, complete chaos. My sister and I were next to Jazzy (?) I think... and luke and sharon...hm. but front row! It was around 6:30 now and we got some drinks (thank you for the water!) and pizza.

So then we waited for a long time.... FINALLY Aurea came on about 8 or 8:30. She was quite good live, very energetic, but the real fun was watching her bassist do the stupidest dance in the world. :teehee: Then we waited some more (pretty quick set changes overall, though) and came TINDERSTICKS.

Let me just say. I have seen some bad shows. But TINDERSTICKS was LITERALLY the WORST SHOW EVER! It was about as interesting as watching someone sleep... because WE WERE WATCHING THE LEAD SINGER NAP ONSTAGE. Oh god. Tindersticks was just so bad. Literally all of the applause was meant ironically. I won't go on. But wow :puke:

Then was Cranberries... I forgot to mention, through all the shows it had been drizziling a little bit. We were worried that it was too wet and they may cancel the later shows (ie Mika) but they rolled out some mat before cranberries. And during cranberries show the lights kept going out and stuff... you can imagine what I was like :aah:

Cranberries were decent but SO loud. Or there was just something wrong because I hadn't peed in like 8 hours. :biggrin2: It was that point of the show when the only cure for what you're feeling is for Mika. Cranberries seemed to go on FOREVER but after the THREE SONG ENCORE they were finally done. We shifted around a bit as fans shifted and then.... the last brutal half hour.

It was still raining and pretty hilarious watching the stage managers struggle with putting up the set. They have these canvases that look like paintings, and they were hanging em up but the paintings all kept blowing around and getting caught amongst eachother. :roftl: So they took them all down but one... for some reason... anyways. Um. So. Uh. Where do I even.

The band was coming on and they started Relax. Well you know how it goes. I told Ingie after the show, I forgot he was real.... and then he walked onto the stage, dressed in white like an angel. And seeing that, feeling that he is REAL, he is LIVE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU is the best feeling in the world, I swear. It was 1am, we were cold and wet, I had to pee, but it was PERFECT!

Let's see if I can remember the set ( i think Mary has the setlist) Relax, Stuck in the Middle, Love Today, BIOTG, Dr John, Billy Brown, Grace Kelly, WAG, Elle Me Dit, Lollipop...yeah no I can't remember. But no Karen or Weather (even though we yelled about it, haha). WAG was fantastic and 2nd show, my side won BIOTG. All me, of course.... :naughty:. Loved Elle Me Dit live (lots of jumping around and yelling gibberish because you dont know french). Lots of jumping around in general. Love Today flashmob was kind of a flop, because we all did the dance but Mika kept looking away. Beyotch :mf_rosetinted:

Anyways, after the encore (which was Elle Me Dit and Lollipop) they bid us farewell. Seriously, that 1.5 hours was the best time I've had in a long time.. maybe since october 2009? Har har.

We managed to meet up with other fans after the show and we all paraded out of the festival. We had lollipop boy with us (Frank... dont know if he is on MFC?) and all the drunk people loved him. So we got out of the fest and onto the street, walked ALL THE WAY along the fence into the parking lot exit.

We waited for a while and then a big grey van pulled past the exit and stopped for a while. Yup, it was Mika. Last time I did an M&G it was very organized, so it was my first time in the Mika mob scene. It was, em, interesting and I think I prefer the other way (as does Mika, probably). But someone mentioned something and as Mika was signing, he looked up and said "Where are the Americans?" My sister and I YELLED for him and we got to go up... he signed our stuff and I was talking to him.... like he said he remembered us (even if he was lying, I don't care :wub2:) and we were asking him when he'd come back to the states (next record) and everything. It was wonderful. Mika asked for us.... hmmmm...... :wub2:

He took 1 pic w the portuguese fan club and then departed ( oh how sad). We hung around for a bit and took an MFC pic with those of us who were left. And now i am here!

So basically, festivals are a bit insane but it was all worthwhile of course. :naughty:

Night everybody!

Sorry, just posted in the other thread! Here we go. Also, we have some pics etc but I can post them tomorrow. Need to sleeep!

Oh, thank you for posting something before you went to bed :wub2:

Get your rest, but get back here pronto with those pics, young lady! :wink2:

and then he walked onto the stage, dressed in white like an angel. And seeing that, feeling that he is REAL, he is LIVE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU is the best feeling in the world, I swear. It was 1am, we were cold and wet, I had to pee, but it was PERFECT!

Awwww :fangurl: I remember that feeling! Lovely!

Let's see if I can remember the set ( i think Mary has the setlist) Relax, Stuck in the Middle, Love Today, BIOTG, Dr John, Billy Brown, Grace Kelly, WAG, Elle Me Dit, Lollipop...yeah no I can't remember.

We actually could listen to it live so I have the set list:

Relax

Big Girl

Stuck in the Middle

Dr. John

Blue Eyes

Billy Brown

Rain

Blame it on the Girls

Happy Ending

Kick-ass

Love Today

We Are Golden

Grace Kelly

Elle Me Dit

Lollipop

:thumb_yello:

Anyways, after the encore (which was Elle Me Dit and Lollipop) they bid us farewell. Seriously, that 1.5 hours was the best time I've had in a long time.. maybe since october 2009? Har har.

But someone mentioned something and as Mika was signing, he looked up and said "Where are the Americans?" My sister and I YELLED for him and we got to go up... he signed our stuff and I was talking to him.... like he said he remembered us (even if he was lying, I don't care :wub2:) and we were asking him when he'd come back to the states (next record) and everything. It was wonderful. Mika asked for us.... hmmmm...... :wub2:

How amazing is that? Lucky girls! :biggrin2:

So basically, festivals are a bit insane but it was all worthwhile of course. :naughty:

Night everybody!

Sweet dreams! Can't wait for your photos!

Tweets from iMMa and Cherisse:

@iMMamusic: Happy Ending sung through me tonight.... 'twas but raw emotion... loved it!!! Not sure if I hit all the notes - but GOD! it felt good!

@Cherisse2312: Had a gr8 gig in Porto wot an awesome crowd!Was rainin quite a bit tho-my drums&cymbals wer drenched :0 made the gig weirdly more fun! :P

I just arrived home and despite that I have took a very hot and relaxing bath, I'm still mad.

This day ended up worst than I thought. I'm too tired to write a proper report today, but let me tell that some people are being more stupid and disrespectful each day. We (portuguese fan club) finally manage to ask if we could take a group pic with him, in the end you only see 2 persons from the fan club on the photograph.

I mean, the show was amazing, he likes the portuguese crowd and we like him and I really missed to see him performing live, but I just hated the all day in general.

Probably Mary or Wonka can tell you in a calmer way the all story.

By the way, I loved too meet some new fans and see some 'old faces'. I'm sorry that I didn't say goodbye to all of you, but I was really tired and sad with all this.

Going to sleep now!

****ing amazing gig & M&G...:clap::clap: :clap:

Now i'm wasted, need my sleep, be back tomorrow...:bye:

It's only me that thinks that wasn't a meet and greet? :blink:

Now I'm really going to sleep.:blink:

have just gotten back from Mares Vivas festival, and it's 4:23 am. I'll give a pretty short report before bed, let's see...

So after the awesome meetup yesterday, we had all made some plans for a "gathering" :naughty: around noon for picnic, etc. Indy (77red) and I showed up at the festival gate at noon and mingled with fans. We were initially numbered but Ingie + Mary + crew showed up around 12:30 and sorted things out. Yup, NO NUMBERS! We all put "1" on our hands though :naughty:

So we hung out, basically just groups of people sitting outside festival gates. We sprayed the red in our hair (to make fun of Mika), had to listen to Cranberries fans play all their music....Around 4 they moved people out into the street and we were up against barriers while they set up the entrance lines. When they opened the gate, they were SO SLOW searching bags. Once you got through the initial gate it was basically every fan for him/herself...I just remember SPRINTING towards the second barrier and the people at the beer stands were all cheering everyone on. I should have brought running shoes because mine were NOT made for the race of your life.

Luckily I got onto the front row of the second barrier as well. They opened those up within aboutt 5 minutes and it was another mad dash, complete chaos. My sister and I were next to Jazzy (?) I think... and luke and sharon...hm. but front row! It was around 6:30 now and we got some drinks (thank you for the water!) and pizza.

So then we waited for a long time.... FINALLY Aurea came on about 8 or 8:30. She was quite good live, very energetic, but the real fun was watching her bassist do the stupidest dance in the world. :teehee: Then we waited some more (pretty quick set changes overall, though) and came TINDERSTICKS.

Let me just say. I have seen some bad shows. But TINDERSTICKS was LITERALLY the WORST SHOW EVER! It was about as interesting as watching someone sleep... because WE WERE WATCHING THE LEAD SINGER NAP ONSTAGE. Oh god. Tindersticks was just so bad. Literally all of the applause was meant ironically. I won't go on. But wow :puke:

Then was Cranberries... I forgot to mention, through all the shows it had been drizziling a little bit. We were worried that it was too wet and they may cancel the later shows (ie Mika) but they rolled out some mat before cranberries. And during cranberries show the lights kept going out and stuff... you can imagine what I was like

Cranberries were decent but SO loud. Or there was just something wrong because I hadn't peed in like 8 hours. :biggrin2: It was that point of the show when the only cure for what you're feeling is for Mika. Cranberries seemed to go on FOREVER but after the THREE SONG ENCORE they were finally done. We shifted around a bit as fans shifted and then.... the last brutal half hour.

It was still raining and pretty hilarious watching the stage managers struggle with putting up the set. They have these canvases that look like paintings, and they were hanging em up but the paintings all kept blowing around and getting caught amongst eachother. :roftl: So they took them all down but one... for some reason... anyways. Um. So. Uh. Where do I even.

The band was coming on and they started Relax. Well you know how it goes. I told Ingie after the show, I forgot he was real.... and then he walked onto the stage, dressed in white like an angel. And seeing that, feeling that he is REAL, he is LIVE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU is the best feeling in the world, I swear. It was 1am, we were cold and wet, I had to pee, but it was PERFECT!

Let's see if I can remember the set ( i think Mary has the setlist) Relax, Stuck in the Middle, Love Today, BIOTG, Dr John, Billy Brown, Grace Kelly, WAG, Elle Me Dit, Lollipop...yeah no I can't remember. But no Karen or Weather (even though we yelled about it, haha). WAG was fantastic and 2nd show, my side won BIOTG. All me, of course.... :naughty:. Loved Elle Me Dit live (lots of jumping around and yelling gibberish because you dont know french). Lots of jumping around in general. Love Today flashmob was kind of a flop, because we all did the dance but Mika kept looking away. Beyotch :mf_rosetinted:

We managed to meet up with other fans after the show and we all paraded out of the festival. We had lollipop boy with us (Frank... dont know if he is on MFC?) and all the drunk people loved him. So we got out of the fest and onto the street, walked ALL THE WAY along the fence into the parking lot exit.

We waited for a while and then a big grey van pulled past the exit and stopped for a while. Yup, it was Mika. Last time I did an M&G it was very organized, so it was my first time in the Mika mob scene. It was, em, interesting and I think I prefer the other way (as does Mika, probably). But someone mentioned something and as Mika was signing, he looked up and said "Where are the Americans?" My sister and I YELLED for him and we got to go up... he signed our stuff and I was talking to him.... like he said he remembered us (even if he was lying, I don't care :wub2:) and we were asking him when he'd come back to the states (next record) and everything. It was wonderful. Mika asked for us.... hmmmm...... :wub2:

He took 1 pic w the portuguese fan club and then departed ( oh how sad). We hung around for a bit and took an MFC pic with those of us who were left. And now i am here!

So basically, festivals are a bit insane but it was all worthwhile of course.

Night everybody!

No Karen No Weather....

He may have spotted many critical comments about those two poor songs in MFC or twitter....:blink::mf_rosetinted:

I just arrived home and despite that I have took a very hot and relaxing bath, I'm still mad.

This day ended up worst than I thought. I'm too tired to write a proper report today, but let me tell that some people are being more stupid and disrespectful each day. We (portuguese fan club) finally manage to ask if we could take a group pic with him, in the end you only see 2 persons from the fan club on the photograph.

I mean, the show was amazing, he likes the portuguese crowd and we like him and I really missed to see him performing live, but I just hated the all day in general.

Probably Mary or Wonka can tell you in a calmer way the all story.

By the way, I loved too meet some new fans and see some 'old faces'. I'm sorry that I didn't say goodbye to all of you, but I was really tired and sad with all this.

Going to sleep now!

Aww :sad:

So after the awesome meetup yesterday, we had all made some plans for a "gathering" :naughty: around noon for picnic, etc. Indy (77red) and I showed up at the festival gate at noon and mingled with fans. We were initially numbered but Ingie + Mary + crew showed up around 12:30 and sorted things out. Yup, NO NUMBERS! We all put "1" on our hands though :nau ghty:

Then was Cranberries... I forgot to mention, through all the shows it had been drizziling a little bit. We were worried that it was too wet and they may cancel the later shows (ie Mika) but they rolled out some mat before cranberries. And during cranberries show the lights kept going out and stuff... you can imagine what I was like :aah:

Night everybody!

Lovely report :wub2:

Hiiiii! 7 am here! Just slept like a baby and... oh wait... :aah:

I'll just do the possible report now (please keep in mind that I haven't slept for basically 24 hours and I'm dead tired! LOL)

So, first... thank you everyone who came to the pre-gig meet up! Finally got to meet my penguin Mommy; Her Royal Awesomeness, miss Ingie (your sooo famous! Like! OMG I DID HANG OUT WITH YOU! WOWZA! :mf_rosetinted:), Jazzy, Luke, Treasa, Kath, Sylvie, Sixtine, THE AMERICANS! :bow:,oh god...I will forget someone, so I might aswell stop now. :wub2:

My spanish girls...WAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! Miss you already! :huglove:

And the usual portuguese gang, you are the best.

So...now...the festival.

LOL

It's kinda "funny" (in a twisted way, I mean) when you plan THE DAY BEFORE that there will not be any list, and then you arrive at the festival and there's a list since 8 am.

On the other hand, it's pretty easy to finish it, apparently. So, mission number one was accomplished at around 1 pm. LOL

Anyway, we adopted this very weird new queuing system: order of arrival. Bet you never heard of that one! :lmfao: It all went well in the end, but it took 2 guys from the festival staff to say the numbers thingy wouldn't work, so people would believe us. Yeah, sad I know... Oh well... :dunno:

Inside it was a bigger mess (have I mentioned before that there would be a second barrier inside? Hmmmm) When they opened it it was the most insane thing I've ever seen, people running, people falling, a dust cloud covering all of us... :boxed: As I tweeted before and you could see on the pics, we got 1st and 2nd row, great places, if you ask me.

I was lucky enough to have this amazing bunch of Cranberries fans in front of me, Liliana's boyfriend was front row, and we ended up giving one of those girls his spot to see Cranberries, and they gave us their front row spots after their gig. I love you greek girls who gave Dolores the floweeeeers! :aah: They were extremely firendly, and it was a win-win situation. :biggrin2:

Aurea, the first act, was amazing. Loved her voice live (it was my first time seeing her) and I was impressed. Thumbs up!

Tindersticks gig was torture. Pure medieval torture. With rain? DOUBLE torture.

Cranberries were great! Dolores has an incredible stage presence, and despite all the technical problems with lights and sound, it was a very good gig.

And then Mika. No need to say anything, right? Short gig (maybe the weather didn't help, he had Touches You on the setlist but didn't play it, for example. Dunno, and it doesn't matter. I had the time of my life. End of story. iMMa rooooocked as always. OMG that Happy Ending finale? Sould be one of the 7 wonders of the world! :swoon:

And yay Ben, liked him on stage. He's no Jimmy, obviously, doesn't interact so much with everyone, but seemed really cool!

Overall, it wasn't the worst gig (not even close) but maybe the worst festival experience. Awful weather, awful middle act (lol), stressing queuing and stuff, uncomfortable place, etc.

But I also need to say that meeting everyone made up for all that. :wub2:

(M&G report and a couple funny details coming)

End of story. iMMa rooooocked as always. OMG that Happy Ending finale? Sould be one of the 7 wonders of the world! :swoon:

I'm super glad you had a fun time!! But what's up with the Happy Ending finale??!? I've noticed everyone's talking about it and I'm just behind everything today :aah::aah:

The M&G, for me it didn't seem so "extreme" as Liliana described it, but some things still make me sad. Not mad, but sad really.

It was the first time in 5 gigs here that we had the chance to actually talk to him as a group (in Lisbon they gave us 4 backstage passes only, so yes I had my dream M&G but 90% of my friends didn't). First time for many of them to actually SEE Mika off the stage.

So yes, we got a bit "greedy" when he said (and I quote) "Just one picture, with the portuguese fanclub." And sad when he said that and people didn't leave room for portuguese fans to join (more than 2 appeared on the pic, I've seen it, but not everyone. I think Liliana didn't even got to be in the pic, and poor Mika ended up being squished for everyone to try to appear). You know I have NOTHIIIIIIIIING against the MFC or MFCers (ffs, I live here! LOL) but it seems some people (fortunately not many) just can't understand what it means to have a group pic taken with him, the first in 5 years. :dunno:

Bad things aside, he was extremely generous, kind and patient. Mika at his best, really. He was sooooo sweet asking for Superstar and 77red! :wub2: I finally got my BG pic signed (have been trying since Vigo, last August) and got to ask him about the goddamn group pic with all the LG and BG at sudoeste:

Me: Mika, can I just ask you a question?

Mika: Yeah, sure.

Me: we got a group pic taken with you at Sudoeste, LG and BG, last year, and we never got to see it.

Mika *signing things* Yeah...

*looks at me*

Wait...no-one sent you the pic???

Me: Uh...no...

Mika: I'll figure it out. *keeps signing things*

*signs my pic*

Me: so...about the Sudoeste pic...how will we get it?

Mika: I have noooo idea! :aah: Who took it?

Me: I don't know...

Mika: One of the girls? Tour manager?

Me: No, Maria told me it was probably a friend of yours.

Mika: Uh...no.

Me: Ok then... :aah:

So, basically the pic is (and will be) lost in some twlilight zone! :doh:

After this we took the group pic, and he left. Kachiiiing! :aah:

@superstar @Mary

Thank you for your reports!

I am glad it all turned out so well for you (and @77red, too) and that you managed to talk to him a bit as well.

I can't wait to hear the new version of Happy Ending. :boing:

Anyway, we adopted this very weird new queuing system: order of arrival. Bet you never heard of that one! :lmfao: It all went well in the end, but it took 2 guys from the festival staff to say the numbers thingy wouldn't work, so people would believe us. Yeah, sad I know... Oh well... :dunno:

Inside it was a bigger mess (have I mentioned before that there would be a second barrier inside? Hmmmm) When they opened it it was the most insane thing I've ever seen, people running, people falling, a dust cloud covering all of us... :boxed: As I tweeted before and you could see on the pics, we got 1st and 2nd row, great places, if you ask me.

I was lucky enough to have this amazing bunch of Cranberries fans in front of me, Liliana's boyfriend was front row, and we ended up giving one of those girls his spot to see Cranberries, and they gave us their front row spots after their gig. I love you greek girls who gave Dolores the floweeeeers! :aah: They were extremely firendly, and it was a win-win situation. :biggrin2:

And then Mika. No need to say anything, right? Short gig (maybe the weather didn't help, he had Touches You on the setlist but didn't play it, for example. Dunno, and it doesn't matter. I had the time of my life. End of story. iMMa rooooocked as always. OMG that Happy Ending finale? Sould be one of the 7 wonders of the world! :swoon:

And yay Ben, liked him on stage. He's no Jimmy, obviously, doesn't interact so much with everyone, but seemed really cool!

Overall, it wasn't the worst gig (not even close) but maybe the worst festival experience. Awful weather, awful middle act (lol), stressing queuing and stuff, uncomfortable place, etc.

But I also need to say that meeting everyone made up for all that. :wub2:

(M&G report and a couple funny details coming)

Thank you so much for your report, Mary!! :thumb_yello: Can't wait to see some pics and vids (hopefully someone managed to film HE even it was raining, sounds so special.

About queueing, you said the system was "order of arrivel". The whole idea of numbers is to keep the order of arrival, so actually you basically did the number thing but it was not written? I totally agree with you about festivals, I wouldn't do written lists on festivals if Mika is not the main performer (like he was in Coimbra) because it's really silly and not fair for other than Mika fans. But if you managed to keep the order of arrival it was quite organized?

The M&G, for me it didn't seem so "extreme" as Liliana described it, but some things still make me sad. Not mad, but sad really.

It was the first time in 5 gigs here that we had the chance to actually talk to him as a group (in Lisbon they gave us 4 backstage passes only, so yes I had my dream M&G but 90% of my friends didn't). First time for many of them to actually SEE Mika off the stage.

So yes, we got a bit "greedy" when he said (and I quote) "Just one picture, with the portuguese fanclub." And sad when he said that and people didn't leave room for portuguese fans to join (more than 2 appeared on the pic, I've seen it, but not everyone. I think Liliana didn't even got to be in the pic, and poor Mika ended up being squished for everyone to try to appear). You know I have NOTHIIIIIIIIING against the MFC or MFCers (ffs, I live here! LOL) but it seems some people (fortunately not many) just can't understand what it means to have a group pic taken with him, the first in 5 years. :dunno:

So sorry about your pic! M&G like this are always so chaotic. I wonder if he is planning to do any organized M&Gs during the next tour (I mean people making a line and behaving in a calm way). In Helsinki we were in a line and he did took one picture with very young Finnish fans who gave him a a present he liked and it was naturally only for them and not for anyone else.

@superstar So pleased everything went so well and you met him!! :wub2:

It's only me that thinks that wasn't a meet and greet? :blink:

Now I'm really going to sleep.:blink:

If he comes and meets fans and says hi it's a M&G. I think we are quite spoiled, because so often things are organized, people make a line and everyone has a chance to speak to him. When people group around him and only some people have possibility to actually talk with him it's much more chaotic.

If he comes and meets fans and says hi it's a M&G. I think we are quite spoiled, because so often things are organized, people make a line and everyone has a chance to speak to him. When people group around him and only some people have possibility to actually talk with him it's much more chaotic.

Yes, spoiled is the word. A pretty big amount of fans tends to get over enthusiastic about M&Gs and with all that enthusiasm they pretty much forget about every single bit of respect they should pay to Mika and the other people attending the meet and greet. I've never had the opportunity to attend to a meet and greet yet, but I've been a LG and usually, everything is way more tempered in the backstage and people are way more calm when it comes to meeting Meeks.

I'm going to stop blabbing now, I know it's not the right thread to do so :mf_rosetinted: