• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got my copy here's a quick translation, sorry for any possible mustake :teehee:

COSMETIC SURGERY? I HAVE NO BIAS, BUT I DEFEND WRINKLES

When I was a kid I was fascinated by people's wrinkles. I watched them wondering what they was caused by, I considered them a sort of compendium of person's life. It had become a sort of obsession as much that in family I was scold: "Do not stare at people and even touching them on the face".

I remind of the advertising campaign for a perfume I was a protagonist last year (Hugo Boss campaign).

That photo was the result of 8h shooting where an hairdresser army alternated to tame my hair to give to my head the desired shape.

Even my tie position was calculated at the millimiter by a committee of experts in marketing, After the retouching to the photos I liked that idealized version of myself: cool, cured, but very unreal.

Perfume spots often intentionally deviate from reality, but some really loses the boundaries between photography and illustration. If in the reality I had that face I'll look like an alien!

Imperfections make me who I am, recognizable to myself and to the eyes of my friends.

If a real dog, a puppy,found himself in front of a plush dog barks furiously because he sees another animal but it does not perceive the smell.

This causes anxiety and sometimes aggressiveness.

This comparison helps to understand that strange feeling you experience in front of a woman like Jocelyn Wildenstein, who had a plastic surgery to look like a cat.

It's an extreme case, close to the art, just like David LaChapelle's muse a tranny transformed in an "extreme Marilyn Monroe".

But beside this cases, why people often have no worries to submit to cosmetic surgery?

Everyone stare himself in the mirror and sometimes think we have something to fix, fill here and there, lift a sagging cheek or shrink a nose.

In the past considered an exclusive female interest, nowadays cosmetic surgery is used also by men,indeed, male sector is booming, but that doesn't make the headlines.

Instead when a popular woman submit to cosmetic surgery, even for a lil retouch, the news goes all around the world.

I think it dipends by the fact that women are more competitive.

In the female magazines are on top the list of worst dressed, of much more restored of the worst hairstyles.

A male magazine would never publish something like that. Men do not find satisfaction in criticizing other men physic's, but they care about appearance, neither more nor less of women.

In my opinion cosmetic surgery involves two major risks.

First of all it risks to be used as status symbol, to assert their wealth, many appreciate it, I don't.

Second point, taking inspiration by the perfect faces of the actress in the glossy magazines, there's a danger of chasing an ideal out of reality.

Who says that appearance doesn't count makes a huge mistake.

It's the face that we judge in a person and make us choose how to relate with her. And it's instinctive, crossing a person in the street with whom we will never have anything to do, analyze the appearance based on a complex set of parameters.

Wrinkles on the face, the appearance of a person reveals his character, his lifestyle, the world which he/she belongs to.

If cancelled it could give rise to strange reactions in the observer, even revulsion.

Dogs need to sniff to identify, we look in the face.

I know it seems to be repetitive I just had no time to search more synonyms :doh: anyway hope u'll enjoy it! :)

Francesca X

Thank you Francesa. It sounds like a great translation, don't worry about synonyms!! :flowers2:

I totally agree with him of course. Especially the comparison to the anxiety of dogs who cannot judge by smell and that humans are dependent on facial recognition. I don't think the greatest plastic surgeon in the world can overcome this and we are capable of detecting even down to the millimetre if something is "off" in someone's face.

I saw a piece on 60 Minutes recently about people who are unable to recognize faces. It's a neurological disorder and it demonstrates how integral it is to human development to be able to recognize (and assess) faces. There are also people who are savants at this and can remember any face they've ever seen and put it in its time and place.

Thank you Francesa. It sounds like a great translation, don't worry about synonyms!! :flowers2:

I totally agree with him of course. Especially the comparison to the anxiety of dogs who cannot judge by smell and that humans are dependent on facial recognition. I don't think the greatest plastic surgeon in the world can overcome this and we are capable of detecting even down to the millimetre if something is "off" in someone's face.

I saw a piece on 60 Minutes recently about people who are unable to recognize faces. It's a neurological disorder and it demonstrates how integral it is to human development to be able to recognize (and assess) faces. There are also people who are savants at this and can remember any face they've ever seen and put it in its time and place.

Thank u! :D

I know that disorder faces regognition, familiar one in particular, follow a different path to arrive from the eyes to the brain, that's why in certain condition it can be damaged or amplified as it happens in people with eidetic memory, I've just studied it in cognitve psichology, can't imagine a life where I'm unable to recognize faces must be terrifing!

can't imagine a life where I'm unable to recognize faces must be terrifing!

Yes I think it's very embarrassing for them because other people expect to be recognized so they have to pretend. I think this is a relatively recent discovery in psychology because I studied it about 20 years ago and don't remember it. I mean of course there have always been extraordinary cases of brain injury where a person can have any issue imaginable, but I don't think this was recognized as a disorder in otherwise normal people.

It's called prosopagnosia, my son has a lot of difficulties with recognizing faces (so he has to learn to recognize people's hair style/eye glasses/clothes etc and mostly he connects people with different situations). Prosopagnosia can be related to many autism spectrum disorders.

Yes, I agree with his views (in the article) too, but I'm not fascinated by wrinkles, I hate mine! :naughty: Thanks for the translation!

Edited by tiibet

It's called prosopagnosia, my son has a lot of difficulties with recognizing faces (so he has to learn to recognize people's hair style/eye glasses/clothes etc and mostly he connects people with different situations).

Does he have any problems with close family or just people he doesn't encounter as often? I found it amazing that people can't recognize their own children or parents. As I said if someone has a brain injury nothing is surprising, but it's just amazing to me that so many people are afflicted with this problem.

Yes, I agree with his views too, but I'm not fascinated by wrinkles, I hate mine! :naughty: Thanks for the translation!

Oh Nina, you still look like a university student! :wink2:

Does he have any problems with close family or just people he doesn't encounter as often? I found it amazing that people can't recognize their own children or parents. As I said if someone has a brain injury nothing is surprising, but it's just amazing to me that so many people are afflicted with this problem.

Oh Nina, you still look like a university student! :wink2:

He can't recognize family members he sees them only a few time a year. Also, he can't recognize all his class mates even he sees them every day (and for years) and if we meet our neighbors somewhere else, for example in a store, he don't know who they are (but he he can recognize them near our home, because it's a familiar situation). It's not a huge problem for him, but it makes social situations more tiring.

Oh, I do... I mean, there are students from so many different age groups? Lol!

Just got my copy here's a quick translation, sorry for any possible mustake :teehee:

When I was a kid I was fascinated by people's wrinkles. I watched them wondering what they was caused by, I considered them a sort of compendium of person's life. It had become a sort of obsession as much that in family I was scold: "Do not stare at people and even touching them on the face".

I remind of the advertising campaign for a perfume I was a protagonist last year (Hugo Boss campaign).

That photo was the result of 8h shooting where an hairdresser army alternated to tame my hair to give to my head the desired shape.

Even my tie position was calculated at the millimiter by a committee of experts in marketing, After the retouching to the photos I liked that idealized version of myself: cool, cured, but very unreal.

Perfume spots often intentionally deviate from reality, but some really loses the boundaries between photography and illustration. If in the reality I had that face I'll look like an alien!

Imperfections make me who I am, recognizable to myself and to the eyes of my friends.

If a real dog, a puppy,found himself in front of a plush dog barks furiously because he sees another animal but it does not perceive the smell.

This comparison helps to understand that strange feeling you experience in front of a woman like Jocelyn Wildenstein, who had a plastic surgery to look like a cat.

It's an extreme case, close to the art, just like David LaChapelle's muse a tranny transformed in an "extreme Marilyn Monroe".

But beside this cases, why people often have no worries to submit to cosmetic surgery?

Everyone stare himself in the mirror and sometimes think we have something to fix, fill here and there, lift a sagging cheek or shrink a nose.

In the past considered an exclusive female interest, nowadays cosmetic surgery is used also by men,indeed, male sector is booming, but that doesn't make the headlines.

Instead when a popular woman submit to cosmetic surgery, even for a lil retouch, the news goes all around the world.

In the female magazines are on top the list of worst dressed, of much more restored of the worst hairstyles.

A male magazine would never publish something like that. Men do not find satisfaction in criticizing other men physic's, but they care about appearance, neither more nor less of women.

First of all it risks to be used as status symbol, to assert their wealth, many appreciate it, I don't.

Second point, taking inspiration by the perfect faces of the actress in the glossy magazines, there's a danger of chasing an ideal out of reality.

It's the face that we judge in a person and make us choose how to relate with her. And it's instinctive, crossing a person in the street with whom we will never have anything to do, analyze the appearance based on a complex set of parameters.

Wrinkles on the face, the appearance of a person reveals his character, his lifestyle, the world which he/she belongs to.

If cancelled it could give rise to strange reactions in the observer, even revulsion.

I know it seems to be repetitive I just had no time to search more synonyms :doh: anyway hope u'll enjoy it! :)

Francesca X

Thanks for the translation.

Interesting he should bring this up, as on the news here this week, there is talk about anyone wanting cosmetic surgery, to be put forward for physchological assessment first, as there has been a lot of talk that some women have the procedure, because they have low self esteem about their looks.

It's called prosopagnosia, my son has a lot of difficulties with recognizing faces (so he has to learn to recognize people's hair style/eye glasses/clothes etc and mostly he connects people with different situations). Prosopagnosia can be related to many autism spectrum disorders.

Yes, I agree with his views (in the article) too, but I'm not fascinated by wrinkles, I hate mine! :naughty: Thanks for the translation!

Yeah that's it, so the name is just the same in english and italian I didn't know that! I'm glad that's not way too problematic for ur son Nina :)

And what wrinkles are u talking about I have seen none! :wink2:

Oh my goodness! That's the first time I've ever heard anyone talk about this condition I have myself. It's connected to my Tuberous Sclerosis, and I also use things like glasses, hairstyles, etc. Which is great until someone changes their glasses, wears contacts, or changes their hairstyle.

I've had it since I was a child. I could never follow a program on black-and-white TV because there wasn't enough information. You see, I have to recognise people in a different way. The condition does not mean I can't see a face, it means that I can't retain the memory of a face, so I don't recognise them next time I see them, unless I can notice a certain thing about them, then recognise that thing, next time I see them. Or very often, I recognise the voice.

So here's an example: To do with Mika. Well of course we all know he's gorgeous, he's tall, thin, and has curly hair. After the gigs, there has been enough information for me to notice him, he stands out as the tallest person, with the curls of course. Great... but the last time I saw him in London at the Appollo, we waitied ages for him to come out, and then there was a person in a hat that covered his hair and came down almost to his eyes, I was saying to someone, when is Mika going to come out, and she said, "There he is!" Yes... he was the man in the hat and I hadn't recognised him. Of course when he got closer I recognised his voice, and then he WAS Mika.

Another time, in Manchester, two fans spoke to me and couldn't understand why I hadn't recognised them from the time before (Blackpool I think) so I had to explain that I have trouble with faces.

So, if you see me, and you've seen me before, don't get offended if I don't recognise you. People who know me, and realize my condition, usually come up and say something like "It's me, Jane", or whoever they are. My husband usually points people out as well, before I speak to them.

But people with the condition do get to become experts at covering it up. I have lots of tricks I use, almost like a detective. You won't know a person has facial recognition problems, just by talking to them.

Francesca X

Thank you for the translation Francesca. It's a really well thought out article, and so true! I'm so glad Mika isn't into all that cosmetic surgery rubbish.

But people with the condition do get to become experts at covering it up. I have lots of tricks I use, almost like a detective. You won't know a person has facial recognition problems, just by talking to them.

Wow this is fascinating Marilyn, thanks for sharing your experience.

Does this mean you would not recognize a photo of Mika's face if it was out of context? Like what if you'd stumbled across that blog the other day where the woman who took his photo didn't know who he was and he wasn't wearing anything we're familiar with?

I am very good at distinguishing voices so I think I could probably be able to work around this too but I still find it so hard to imagine!

:shocked::shocked: is that possible?? she looks like a doll, I don't like, she has a serious problem in his head. Poor woman :blink:

Yeah that's it, so the name is just the same in english and italian I didn't know that! I'm glad that's not way too problematic for ur son Nina :)

And what wrinkles are u talking about I have seen none! :wink2:

Oh, I feel I'm starting to get some wrinkles. I blame Mika :lmfao:

Thanks for sharing, Marilyn! I totally understand what you mean. My son is smart and has a good memory, so this is not huge problem and he is used to work for it, but it must be very tiring at times.

Plastic surgery doesn't make anyone look younger. They just look like an older person who has had plastic surgery. :dunno: Unless they can find a way to switch on all the processes in our body that makes people look like young producing collagen, etc. people should just accept aging gracefully. A knife or a needle cannot fix it.