"The Origin of Love" - the pieces of a puzzle

nenartus

My new possible tracklist for the new album is here ! :P Let me know what do you think about this :)

01. Kill Me On The Dancefloor (Mika / Martin Johnson / Shea Taylor)

02. Underwater (Mika / Nick Littlemore / Paul Steel)

03. The Origin Of Love (Mika / Nick Littlemore / Paul Steel)

04. Make You Happy (Mika / Benjamin Garrett)

05. Live Your Life (Mika / Steve Robson / Wayne Anthony Hector)

06. Love You When I'm Drunk (Mika / Benjamin Garrett (?))

07. Step With Me (Mika / Hillary Lindsey)

08. Lola (Mika / Benjamin Garrett)

09. Cry A Little (Mika / Steve Robson / Wayne Anthony Hector)

10. Want Forever (Mika / Dan Wilson)

11. Shadows (Mika / Benjamin Garrett)

12. The Fly (Mika / Dan Wilson)

And 4 english bonus, as the 4 french bonus on the french version :

13. Overrated (Mika)

14. She Tells Me (Mika / Jodi Marr)

15. Blame It On The Weather (Mika / Doriand)

16. China Boy (Mika)

And the 2 french bonus on the 4 bonus planned :

13. Elle Me Dit (Mika / Doriand)

14. Karen (82, rue des Martyrs) (Mika / Doriand)

Edited by sfsmg1

Kind of hard to say what I think- I've only heard about 4 of the songs! I would be pleased if overrated was a bonus track though. I'd be disappointed whatever happened if it wasn't ( Id be annoyed that it wasn't anything new because it's a new album and annoyed if he changed it because it's a beautiful song!)

The fly doesn't seem like a good option ( it sounds more like a joke!)

Has anybody wondered about a kind of conspiracy theory where mika is leading us onto the wrong idea? So the tracks he said won't Actually be on it and they wOnt be simple love songs. That would be funny...

My new possible tracklist for the new album is here ! :P Let me know what do you think about this :)

01. Kill Me On The Dancefloor (Mika / Martin Johnson / Shea Taylor)

02. Underwater (Mika / Nick Littlemore / Paul Steel)

03. The Origin Of Love (Mika / Nick Littlemore / Paul Steel)

04. Make You Happy (Mika / Benjamin Garrett)

05. Live Your Life (Mika / Steve Robson / Wayne Anthony Hector)

06. Love You When I'm Drunk (Mika / Benjamin Garrett (?))

07. Step With Me (Mika / Hillary Lindsey)

08. Lola (Mika / Benjamin Garrett)

09. Cry A Little (Mika / Steve Robson / Wayne Anthony Hector)

10. Want Forever (Mika / Dan Wilson)

11. Shadows (Mika / Benjamin Garrett)

12. The Fly (Mika / Dan Wilson)

And 4 english bonus, as the 4 french bonus on the french version :

13. Overrated (Mika)

14. She Tells Me (Mika / Jodi Marr)

15. Blame It On The Weather (Mika / Doriand)

16. China Boy (Mika)

And the 2 french bonus on the 4 bonus planned :

13. Elle Me Dit (Mika / Doriand)

14. Karen (82, rue des Martyrs) (Mika / Doriand)

Cool!! :boing: but is this the real tracklist or is what you imagine? :blush-anim-cl:

For me, I'm almost sure about this tracklist.

I'm sorry but he talked about the first 7 songs, on tweets, and interviews.

And the five last tracks are listed in the GEMA, BMI or ASCAP databases, with very recent Work IDs.

For the bonus tracks : I think that Overrated is for sure a bonus, like the remastering of "Loverboy" on the previous album. For Blame It On The Weather, he said that he wasn't sure to put her on the album, so maybe as a bonus track ? With the strong success of "Elle me dit" in France, Belgium, other European and overseas, I think that the English version that he wrotes with Jodi Marr will be a bonus track too. And for China Boy, he talked about her too, but...I don't know. :)

For me, I'm almost sure about this tracklist.

I'm sorry but he talked about the first 7 songs, on tweets, and interviews.

And the five last tracks are listed in the GEMA, BMI or ASCAP databases, with very recent Work IDs.

For the bonus tracks : I think that Overrated is for sure a bonus, like the remastering of "Loverboy" on the previous album. For Blame It On The Weather, he said that he wasn't sure to put her on the album, so maybe as a bonus track ? With the strong success of "Elle me dit" in France, Belgium, other European and overseas, I think that the English version that he wrotes with Jodi Marr will be a bonus track too. And for China Boy, he talked about her too, but...I don't know. :)

For me it's ok if this is the real tracklist, omg, I'm really excited :excite: can't wait to hear it :nervous:

I like Underwater and can't wait to hear the rest I have not heard yet...:thumb_yello:

As for titles

"Love You When I'm Drunk" - not sure about that one, there is no trace of it..

"Overrated" - that one may have been co-written by Jodi Marr, too. They have a song called "Keep Me" and it could be that one.

"Keep me" is an unreleased song, the work ID is too old. Love You When I'm Drunk is the title that Mika mentionned in one of his tweets, and I think that it's not a joke, he said that he'll take more risks on this album, to be more trash...so...wait and see ;)

"Keep me" is an unreleased song, the work ID is too old.

Overrated is an old song - :wink2:

"Love You When I'm Drunk is the title that Mika mentionned in one of his tweets, and I think that it's not a joke

I know he mentioned it but China Boy sounds more believable to me.. :teehee:

Kind of hard to say what I think- I've only heard about 4 of the songs! I would be pleased if overrated was a bonus track though. I'd be disappointed whatever happened if it wasn't ( Id be annoyed that it wasn't anything new because it's a new album and annoyed if he changed it because it's a beautiful song!)

The fly doesn't seem like a good option ( it sounds more like a joke!)

Has anybody wondered about a kind of conspiracy theory where mika is leading us onto the wrong idea? So the tracks he said won't Actually be on it and they wOnt be simple love songs. That would be funny...

Well for anyone who, maybe, thinks the songs are not going to be anything like the Mika songs of old, I don't think they need to worry.

If the songs have lyrics like that one about, being in a field with a pom pom, then in the cinema selling popular corn, I think it's safe to say the songs will deff still be Mika songs.

Yeah, Overrated is an old song, but he said that this song will be on the album, so it's a remastering of the original song :)

yes, most likely a re-recording of it lke for I'm Falling and I See You.

So, what I mean is that perhaps the original title of 'Overrated' was 'Keep Me'. I really don't know but that's what I always thought. :dunno: I found that song ages ago in his catalogue and IF it is that song, the new version will keep the original writers and they'd add any new ones in case other people contributed to the new version. (I really wouldn't like them to change that song or add more layers to it though. I think it needs to be kept simple)

Edited by suzie

yes, most likely a re-recording of it lke for I'm Falling and I See You.

So, what I mean is that perhaps the original title of 'Overrated' was 'Keep Me'. I really don't know but that's what I always thought. :dunno: I found that song ages ago in his catalogue and IF it is that song, the new version will keep the original writers and they'd add any new ones in case other people contributed to the new version. (I really wouldn't like them to change that song or add more layers to it though. I think it needs to be kept simple)

Totally agree, I've been listening to the demo version a lot lately, and it's just SO perfect. Really hope they will keep it simple.

There is this sadness and sort of desperation in the vocals of Overrated. Like he knows the relationship is built on a house of cards and it's only a matter of time before it comes crashing down but he's hoping it will last a bit longer. I think it's going to be very difficult to preserve that in a produced song (they couldn't even do it with Adele's Someone Like You and the live session version is 100% better than the album track.)

I can't wait to hear it live though. It's a dream come true!! :fangurl:

Well, it's one thing him saying that they'll be very different, but they're still gonna ( hopefully) sound like mika! Who else would write a song called 'china boy'?! It autOmatically starts to run parallel with 'toy boy' , 'one foot boy' and 'loverboy'.

Totally agree, I've been listening to the demo version a lot lately, and it's just SO perfect. Really hope they will keep it simple.
There is this sadness and sort of desperation in the vocals of Overrated. Like he knows the relationship is built on a house of cards and it's only a matter of time before it comes crashing down but he's hoping it will last a bit longer. :

It is only a demo version we heard so he must have re-recorded the vocals completely to make it sound better but I think they should keep that song simple and acoustic with no unnecessary instruments - perhaps an additional cello at most – as the dynamics of the song should ideally come from Mika’s voice and the piano.

In my view, it is partly because of the context (to keep this simple, fragile and honest) but also the way he is singing it: it is classical singing, like in OMS or Lady Jane. That’s why, in my opinion, I’m Falling was spoilt when it was turned into such a predictable cathartic ballad in which you could basically visualize the Titanic appear in the second part of the song and Mika drown in the sea at the end of it... (:naughty: ) . I don’t think that arrangement suited Mika’s voice: the uniqueness of it was lost and so was the honesty in the song. I must add though, that at first I welcomed the magic touch of Walter Afanassieff but mainly because I thought that at least it would enable Mika to be launched to a wider audience should it feature on the soundtrack of a blockbuster. It never happened, unfortunately. Then later on, when I heard Leona Lewis’s ”I See You”, I even considered that they might have actually pitched that one to be on the Avatar soundtrack but did not receive t eventually. (This latter is only a theory though, with no facts to support it.)

Who else would write a song called 'china boy'?!

Many others, actually. :teehee: There are several songs with that title already… but you are right: ‘boys’ tend to feature in his lyrics a lot for some strange reason. :dunno::mf_rosetinted:

Edited by suzie

In my view, it is partly because of the context (to keep this simple, fragile and honest) but also the way he is singing it: it is classical singing, like in OMS or Lady Jane. That’s why, in my opinion, I’m Falling was spoilt when it was turned into such a predictable cathartic ballad in which you could basically visualize the Titanic appear in the second part of the song and Mika drown in the sea at the end of it... (:naughty: ) .

Totally agree about it being like Lady Jane and OMS. I didn't think I'm Falling was that special or in that vein though. You can certainly make an argument against ANY ballad being turned into the Titanic or Avatar soundtrack but I didn't mind how it was reworked and I prefer I See You to the demo.

I actually haven't listened to any of the demos in many years (that's why I could barely remember the lyrics to Only Lonely One at the gig :aah:) and I don't think I'm going to listen to Overrated any time soon. Probably best to listen to the album version with fresh ears. :naughty:

I actually haven't listened to any of the demos in many years (that's why I could barely remember the lyrics to Only Lonely One at the gig :aah:) and I don't think I'm going to listen to Overrated any time soon. Probably best to listen to the album version with fresh ears. :naughty:

Yes, I agree, don't spoil it. I already know the song well, because it is so beautiful and complete sounding that it's not like a demo at all. I imagine it will change at least slightly.

Only lonely one is a funny little song- I like it though :)

Totally agree about it being like Lady Jane and OMS. I didn't think I'm Falling was that special or in that vein though.
I don't mean in terms of the singing itself but the honesty of the lyrics. To me this song about secretly watching stalking and dreaming about someone doesn't require such over-the-top arrangements.

I don't listen to the demos, either (perhaps once a year if it comes up somehow) but I have their melody and arrangements in my head so that's why I recognised it right away from the first chords but could only remember the lyrics of the chorus...:teehee:

I did listen to Overrated last night though to see what could come out if it eventually. It is my own little guessing game. :teehee:

I must admit that there are demos I never listen(ed) to, as I don't like them for particular reasons. Loverboy was one of these. However, I absolutely loved the arrangement of it on TBWKTM. It changed the song completely and I :wub2: it now.

Only lonely one is a funny little song- I like it though :)

I love that one. It sounds like a kind of 30s cabaret / 'couplet' / 'kuplet' song to me. That one is finished, basically. I'd like him to sing it now and then at smaller gigs.:blush-anim-cl:

I love that one. It sounds like a kind of 30s cabaret / 'couplet' / 'kuplet' song to me. That one is finished, basically. I'd like him to sing it now and then at smaller gigs.:blush-anim-cl:

I think it is similar to and would serve the same purpose as Holy Johnny at gigs. The original version of Holy Johnny with just Mika and Martin interacting.

I was searching for the original verison of Overrated, and I was astonished to founded only 3 covers of this beautiful song :

youtube.com/embed/fGCdHWsrZyA

youtube.com/embed/cc3mASaX62s

If you want to embed YouTube videos you can just use the code/string in red above and wrap it in the {youtube} {/youtube} tags (replace with square brackets).

The Soundcloud embedding doesn't work here but we can look into adding a bbcode for it.

Sfmg, I think there are so few covers because people don't think they can better the original. Or maybe just cos the song is very underrated:(

And tbf, those covers certainly add nothing to the original, like with most things;(

Edited by Ellenowl

I love Mika's demos, I really think they're amazing. I was very happy to know that Overrated will be on the 3rd album, and there's another one that I love as much as Overrated (won't mention it here as we're not supposed to be allowed to talk about demos on the MFC :().

I hope Overrated will be very similar as it's on the demo, with the sad lyrics, Mika's amazing voice in falsetto and not much more than the piano. But, as someone said before, if they turn it into a huge ballad, I'd love it anyway. What I definetely don't want is that he makes it electronic because it worked out very well with Rain, but it would ruin Overrated, IMO.

Edited by QueenElisaII