Monuments and Landmarks - the virtual tourist thread

chickadee

Do you have things you'd like to share about the country you live in?

National monuments, tourist attractions, things your country is famous for, things that are obscure but should be more widely known....

Is there something that's local to your particular state, town or area that you'd like to share with the rest of us? Maybe a favourite restaurant, pub or shop? A park with a pretty view or a really interesting example of architecture?

Share these things with us and let us be virtual tourists of your part of the world, from your perspective!

I'm gonna start with Canberra... The capital city of Australia, and the place where I live.

Our Parliament House

Canberra2.jpg

Part of the Australian War Memorial

Canberra027.jpg

The Entrance to the National Museum of Australia

Canberra013.jpg

Not perhaps the most startling of public buildings, but I had a sudden mental blank about what I was gonna put in here!

Feel free to post!

Edited by chickadee

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Roermond, which is in the province Limburg (south-east of the netherlands) and we are known for the way we speak. We have an accent.:naughty:

Then we have pies that belong to our area, everyone in the Nethelands like those.

food-vlaai.jpg

Through our province goes the river the Maas. The Maas starts somewhere in France, so when the ice and snow melts, the Maas will get really big and when it arrives Holland it will flood sometimes.

It floods in my province, not other provinces.

limburg_01_nl_pfade.gif

As you can see, my town is in the middle of the province. I study in Sittard, a bit more south.

My town is a bishop town, which means we do have a bishop and most of the original inhabitants are christian. I'm a non-believer.

More info about Roermond

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roermond

More info about Limburg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburg

Don't have time anymore, as I need to go to the dentist:thumbdown:

I live in Roermond, which is in the province Limburg (south-east of the netherlands) and we are known for the way we speak. We have an accent.:naughty:

Then we have pies that belong to our area, everyone in the Nethelands like those.

food-vlaai.jpg

Through our province goes the river the Maas. The Maas starts somewhere in France, so when the ice and snow melts, the Maas will get really big and when it arrives Holland it will flood sometimes.

It floods in my province, not other provinces.

limburg_01_nl_pfade.gif

As you can see, my town is in the middle of the province. I study in Sittard, a bit more south.

My town is a bishop town, which means we do have a bishop and most of the original inhabitants are christian. I'm a non-believer.

More info about Roermond

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roermond

More info about Limburg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburg

Don't have time anymore, as I need to go to the dentist:thumbdown:

Nice pie! I'm such a sweet tooth....

So do you commute to study or you "live-in" during term time?

Thanks for sharing:)

Mmmmmm, vlaai! Yammie:thumb_yello:

Some other parts of the Netherlands do have floods sometimes. Remember Tiel and area?

I will try to upload a pic or website from our village. This town is quit touristique, especially for bikers and walkers (?).

This is our mill, it is close to my house: http://www.beilen.nl/beheer/img/ruinen_molen1.jpg

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruinen

http://www.ruinen.nl/index.php (if you click the underlined words, you get to see pics....I hope...)

Good idea this thread! (Makes me wonder if Mika is ever going to put up pics again for his game: Where am I?)

I'm sure I can think of a few random ones from Aussie!

This one is the Golden Gumboot, in Tully.

The boot stands 7.9 metres high which represents the record annual rainfall of 7,900mm (311 inches) in 1950. Since Mika likes wellies so much, maybe this will be an incentive to come to Aus! :naughty:

450px-GGumboot.JPG

The Great Barrier Reef.

Largest coral reef system in the world, composed of over 2,900 individual reefs and 900 islands, stretching for 2,600 kilometres over an area of approximately 344,400 square kilometres

GreatBarrierReef-EO.jpg

450px-Blue_Linckia_Starfish.JPG

Uluru/Ayres Rock (yes, it's simply a large rock.)

The world-renowned sandstone formation stands 348 m high, with most of its bulk below the ground, and measures 9.4 km in circumference.

australia-ayres-rock.jpg

Sydney Harbour Bridge

The Sydney Harbour Bridge is a steel arch bridge across Sydney Harbour that carries rail, vehicular and pedestrian traffic between the Sydney central business district and the North Shore.

800px-SydneyHarbourBridge1_gobeirne.jpg

Sydney Opera House

The Sydney Opera House was conceived and largely built by Danish architect Jørn Utzon, who in 2003 received the Pritzker Prize, architecture's highest honour.

800px-Sydney_opera_house_side_view.jpg

Tully is around 200km south of Cairns. =]

Another really good place to visit in Australia is Bonza's paddock. If you're extremely lucky, you might even see Bonza!

It's even better in the wet, cos it doubles as a swimming pool!

4884.png

(lol, sorry. I couldn't help myself :naughty:)

Nice pie! I'm such a sweet tooth....

So do you commute to study or you "live-in" during term time?

Thanks for sharing:)

I commute, its just 15 mins by train and another 10 mins by bus...

We have loads of different kinds of pies! We are known for the pies here:thumb_yello:

Some other parts of the Netherlands do have floods sometimes. Remember Tiel and area?[/url]

I love Kruimelvlaai:wub2:

No, I didnt know Tiel flooded:blink:

I forgot to say.... We have a flower festival in spring in Canberra called Floriade... I've lived here five years and still not been! But I've seen pictures:blush-anim-cl:

We also have a Floriade in Holland:naughty:

Edited by Biekje

Tully is around 200km south of Cairns. =]

Another really good place to visit in Australia is Bonza's paddock. If you're extremely lucky, you might even see Bonza!

It's even better in the wet, cos it doubles as a swimming pool!

4884.png

(lol, sorry. I couldn't help myself :naughty:)

Haha... Oh, that's fine. You didn't post that one in the Aussies, did you? How did your horses enjoy all that water? Do they like swimming?

Love this thread! Love being a virtual tourist!

This festival flower is wonderful! :wub2:

And thanks a lot Bonzaboy for these pics! It's wonderful! Love the gumboot! ^^

Wanted to share you the Millau viaduct, built in Aveyron, inaugurated in 2004, crossing the valley of Tarn. It's the highest road apron of the world, with 270m in it's highest point :wink2:

090120123945703711.jpg

090120124000288303.jpg

and in my Lorraine region, the Stanislas Place in Nancy, renovated in 2004-2005, love it:

090120124254792653.jpg

090120124458825185.jpg

Wanted to share you the Millau viaduc, build in Aveyron, inaugurated in 2004, crossing the valley of Tarn. It's the highest road apron of the world, with 270m in it's highest point :wink2:

090120123945703711.jpg

090120124000288303.jpg

and in my Lorraine region, the Stanislas Place in Nancy, renovated in 2004-2005, love it:

090120124254792653.jpg

090120124458825185.jpg

Wow! That road is incredible. Talk about scary. Have you ever driven on it?

I like how huge the square is. I presume it's pedestrian access only?

Some other parts of the Netherlands do have floods sometimes. Remember Tiel and area?

I will try to upload a pic or website from our village. This town is quit touristique, especially for bikers and walkers (?).

This is our mill, it is close to my house: http://www.beilen.nl/beheer/img/ruinen_molen1.jpg

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruinen

http://www.ruinen.nl/index.php (if you click the underlined words, you get to see pics....I hope...)

Good idea this thread! (Makes me wonder if Mika is ever going to put up pics again for his game: Where am I?)

Sorry AMP, meant to quote you earlier and forgot. I'd love to see pics of your village. That windmill is very picturesque.

Wanted to share you the Millau viaduct, built in Aveyron, inaugurated in 2004, crossing the valley of Tarn. It's the highest road apron of the world, with 270m in it's highest point :wink2:

WOW that's a beautiful bridge!

I studied for this to make bridges and roads etc, so I love bridges!!!:thumb_yello:

Wow! That road is incredible. Talk about scary. Have you ever driven on it?

I like how huge the square is. I presume it's pedestrian access only?

Yes I've already been on this road four times... it's quite impressive but when you're on, you don't really realize that you're so high, can't see anything :naughty: one time it was like the first pic, there were just clouds/fog aroud us... :wink2: you have to stop just before the viaduct or be in the valley to realize everything :thumb_yello:

And yes it's pedestrian access only, and there's lots of café around and terraces, very pleasant

also, the feast of lights in Lyon, never been at that feast, anyway, find it's great

090120010714560402.jpg

090120010919678273.jpg

090120010934171633.jpg

090120011324331684.jpg

Edited by Miss_lollipop54

Haha... Oh, that's fine. You didn't post that one in the Aussies, did you? How did your horses enjoy all that water? Do they like swimming?

Nah, I think I might have posted a different one, though... I like my flood pics...lol

Yeah, they don't mind it, but they're not silly about it. They generally stay in one spot until the water goes down...

You're very welcome. =]

I do quite like the gumboot too. I've always wanted to visit it, but we don't usually travel that far up the coast. :thumbdown:

Hi, I live in Uithoorn, thats about 20 km from Amsterdam. Its a small place, but nice to live in, especially with kids. But its also nice to be in the city in no time.

I can't upload pictures!!! Photobucket is not my friend at the moment!:sneaky2:

I originally come from the north of Holland, from a place called Veendam, thats about 30 km away from Annemariepetra :thumb_yello:

I moved to the west because of my husband, he lived here his whole life.

In the west of Holland there is much more activity than in the north. Much more and bigger companies. I love living close to Amsterdam, with its beautifull canals and buildings. Also interesting is ofcourse the Anne Frank House!

And ofcourse Amsterdam is most famous for the Coffeeshops (don't think they even sell coffee:naughty:) and the redlight district.

So a little virtual sightseeing from my end of town:

Tsukiji Fish Market, a great place to be at 5am....freshest sushi ever!!

2004_Tsukiji_Fish_Market_01.jpg

Maids from the maid cafes in Akihabara, electronics mecca of the world

062306_akihabara.jpg

and my favourite vid of Tokyo monuments and landmarks...

Edit: you didn't want temples and gardens did you? Oops maybe you did....

Edited by Blue Sky

090120123945703711.jpg

I'm so glad they built that... All I remember about driving through France almost every year when I was younger was sitting in traffic in Millau for hours :naughty:

It's a bit pointless to post anything about London I think because I'm guessing most people know the landmarks already...

What a beautiful pics people!:wub2:

I especially love the tulips at the Floriade downunder!

If I have some decent pics sometime I will post them here.

Indeed, Veendam is quit close to my hometown.I was born in the south of Holland though, same town as IngievV lives in.

I LOVE all these Anglo-European pics.

I will give you a funny/cute one just for Robi:

Hot spring baths are popular in the mountains...

onsen.jpg

but not only for people visiting!

I especially like the one at 0:54, like a monk meditating.

Edited by Blue Sky