MIKA as a judge at "THE VOICE" France 2014

Sweetieval

I don't think it really matters what the actual conditions are versus what western media is reporting. The fact is it's a big deal in the west and people are talking about pulling out of the Olympics and it's probably going to have repercussions in regards to entertainers visiting Russia.

There have been all kinds of human rights violations everywhere but once a few vocal westerners decided that South African apartheid shouldn't be tolerated it became a huge boycott and no one went there. I'm not saying that's going to happen but just that some issues and some countries are very high on people's radar and the reactions are not necessarily in proportion to the offenses, relatively speaking.

I read some gay groups in VKontakte (russian FB) and can clearly see the situation from inside. Even if there are people who support or not against gays in the country, the whole situation is awful. The gay guys are totally frustrated. There are too many occasions of killing gays and remaining unpunished. They feel that the law supports them!

In the whole, the phrase :We thought he is gay" is a great excuse. Recently was killed the boy in the tight jeans who even was't a gay - the chavs just found a good victim and a good excuse.

Also there is a nazi organization which members catch gays and humiliate then, making videos and posting in Internet.

It is only a bit of what happens!

Let alone the fact that some people get fired from the work and even the resonance in Internet can do nothing.

So, when I read the posts of gay people there and see their despair I feel and enormous hatred to those politics and the chavs who seems like act together.

Moreover, the religious fanatics are in rage! Old women with crosses with the mad thoughtless eyes - the awful view, believe me.

I read some gay groups in VKontakte (russian FB) and can clearly see the situation from inside. Even if there are people who support or not against gays in the country, the whole situation is awful. The gay guys are totally frustrated. There are too many occasions of killing gays and remaining unpunished. They feel that the law supports them!

In the whole, the phrase :We thought he is gay" is a great excuse. Recently was killed the boy in the tight jeans who even was't a gay - the chavs just found a good victim and a good excuse.

Also there is a nazi organization which members catch gays and humiliate then, making videos and posting in Internet.

It is only a bit of what happens!

Let alone the fact that some people get fired from the work and even the resonance in Internet can do nothing.

So, when I read the posts of gay people there and see their despair I feel and enormous hatred to those politics and the chavs who seems like act together.

Moreover, the religious fanatics are in rage! Old women with crosses with the mad thoughtless eyes - the awful view, believe me.

Thanks for relating this - this is as I thought... I can't read Russian so I would have no clue how to go about searching this sort of inside information...

When a country already has other problems and wasn't very gay- friendly to begin with, gay people are an easy target for hatred and to vent on sadly :(

I read some gay groups in VKontakte (russian FB) and can clearly see the situation from inside. Even if there are people who support or not against gays in the country, the whole situation is awful.

I suppose I should check these groups as well. I didn't expect it is that bad even if I live in Russia. I mencoined the reason already - the lack of information in mass media.

so I can only imagine how dangerous it would be for Mika...For starters, singing Billy Brown could land him in jail..

Not in jail, believe me! The only punishment is a fine. Well, for now. I really don't think there is some real danger for Mika in Russia.

Thanks for relating this - this is as I thought... I can't read Russian so I would have no clue how to go about searching this sort of inside information...

When a country already has other problems and wasn't very gay- friendly to begin with, gay people are an easy target for hatred and to vent on sadly :(

Indeed! Moreover, I suppose it is also an attempt to distract the attention from the real problems in the country.

I suppose I should check these groups as well. I didn't expect it is that bad even if I live in Russia. I mencoined the reason already - the lack of information in mass media.

Not in jail, believe me! The only punishment is a fine. Well, for now. I really don't think there is some real danger for Mika in Russia.

I hope too that there is no real danger for him, until he starts to walk down the streets in red trousers without his gang of relatives who always follows him :fisch:

But seriously, Lady Gaga has her case in the Russian court :naughty: as well as Madonna (if I'm not mistaken, I'm not up to date about this).

It's not even a matter of him being in danger. Hatred and violence against gays is a huge issue in Russia. You can say whatever you want, deny it is not there but that is exactly what Putin wants. Make people believe there is no violence against homosexuality because it doesn't 'exist'. I'm sorry Russians, but for as long as this situation is going on, I hope Mika will pull a Wentworth Miller.

It's not even a matter of him being in danger. Hatred and violence against gays is a huge issue in Russia. You can say whatever you want, deny it is not there but that is exactly what Putin wants. Make people believe there is no violence against homosexuality because it doesn't 'exist'. I'm sorry Russians, but for as long as this situation is going on, I hope Mika will pull a Wentworth Miller.

Can I say couple of words here?

I agree, situation with gay rights in Russia is awful, but moreover it is awful about human rights in common. Money does matter, power does matter, a small and humble citizen doesn't.

Our president hates everyone, that is the reason, he want us to be silent slaves.

That's why I want Mika to come in Russia, to show his support to his fans! And believe me thare are many gay people among his fans in Russia. Adam Lambert visited Russia this summer and he's fine.

On one hand, I prefer Mika to stay away from all this, but on the other hand, fans need him here too. Russia is a poor country and the most of the fans can't afford to go abroad for the show like me.

Perhaps you didn't understand my previous post the right way. I just wanted to describe the situation from the view of usual citizen who is not very much in this theme. I know the problem is huge, but we have so many huge problems here. Even if you are in the middle of the country you don't get all the information about the situation.

Anyway I don't think we should keep it going in this thread :) We can talk about gay rights in Russia somewhere else any time!

On behalf of Russian mikafans I thank you for killing our hope to see him in our country.

Some of us just don`t have a chance to travel to Europe for Mika`s gigs, unfortunately. Some of us Russians are against violence towards LGBT, remember?

After all, it`s mikafans who will suffer if he never comes here.

On behalf of Russian mikafans I thank you for killing our hope to see him in our country.

Some of us just don`t have a chance to travel to Europe for Mika`s gigs, unfortunately. Some of us Russians are against violence towards LGBT, remember?

Absolutely agree with you! We need him here, people need him here, thousands of makafans are waiting for Mika in Russia! And they are very sad he didn't come to Russian with his third album. We only had 1 hour show last summer and it was more than a year ago.

Realistically I don't think there's much chance of Mika performing anywhere outside of western Europe for a year or more. So not much point in getting upset about him going to or not going to Russia at the moment. There's no telling how things will look in the coming years.

Realistically I don't think there's much chance of Mika performing anywhere outside of western Europe for a year or more. So not much point in getting upset about him going to or not going to Russia at the moment. There's no telling how things will look in the coming years.

Perhaps you're right and moreover I don't think situation here will change in one or two years. Anyway I hope Mika will come back to Russian again in the future. And at least we had last summer fest whereas fans in Australia haven't seen him for years. I just don't want other fans to think we don't deserve Mika's show in our country because of our authorities politic.

And now I stop! :blush-anim-cl:

I'm sorry, but my opinion hardly matters when it comes to Mika's tour schedule. I know that you are supporting him and gay rights and it might have come off meaner than I meant. I'm not saying he should never ever visit Russia again. If he will, I'll be happy for you all as I think everyone deserves a chance to see him. I just think it is better for this situation to die down before he does. But realistically speaking he is not going to be touring anywhere for a long while.

I'm sorry if I offended you. That wasn't my intention.

Perhaps you're right and moreover I don't think situation here will change in one or two years. Anyway I hope Mika will come back to Russian again in the future. And at least we had last summer fest whereas fans in Australia haven't seen him for years. I just don't want other fans to think we don't deserve Mika's show in our country because of our authorities politic.

And now I stop! :blush-anim-cl:

Oh stop right here. I never said you didn't deserve a Mika gig. That's what you make of it. See the last thing post I posted. Maybe it would be good for him to go to Russia to support the people but another side of me thinks it isn't until the situation is not as much of a hot topic anymore.

But I NEVER said you didn't deserve it. On the contrary.

Oh stop right here. I never said you didn't deserve a Mika gig. That's what you make of it. See the last thing post I posted. Maybe it would be good for him to go to Russia to support the people but another side of me thinks it isn't until the situation is not as much of a hot topic anymore.

But I NEVER said you didn't deserve it. On the contrary.

Sorry, I didn't mean you exactly. I see people on Twitter write about it very often, they strongly recommend Mika not to go to Russia. Perhaps I was upset about these comments and didn't get right what you'd ment! Sometimes I'm too impulsive and I appologise!

And I understand your position, but I repeat it again: I really don't think the situation will become better in the nearest future. Even if Mika will come to the next tour in 2015 or 2016, anti-gay law will be still here. And the law is not the main thing. Gay people's lifes were tough here before this law. So I just don't think Mika should take this law at the first place. But for sure he must not go for a walk in Moscow in the middle of the night like he did in 2010! It was very bad idea!

Sorry, I didn't mean you exactly. I see people on Twitter write about it very often, they strongly recommend Mika not to go to Russia. Perhaps I was upset about these comments and didn't get right what you'd ment! Sometimes I'm too impulsive and I appologise!

And I understand your position, but I repeat it again: I really don't think the situation will become better in the nearest future. Even if Mika will come to the next tour in 2015 or 2016, anti-gay law will be still here. And the law is not the main thing. Gay people's lifes were tough here before this law. So I just don't think Mika should take this law at the first place. But for sure he must not go for a walk in Moscow in the middle of the night like he did in 2010! It was very bad idea!

It's ok. I understand this is a touchy subject and you feel especially powerless when you know that there are many people with the right intentions but it is all ruined by those in power. We get to see footage of gay people and LGBT supporters beaten up and ridiculed and sometimes killed. So I understand that in the west people judge Russia and think that Mika will be in danger.

It's ok. I understand this is a touchy subject and you feel especially powerless when you know that there are many people with the right intentions but it is all ruined by those in power. We get to see footage of gay people and LGBT supporters beaten up and ridiculed and sometimes killed. So I understand that in the west people judge Russia and think that Mika will be in danger.

Thank you :huglove:

I wouldn't recommend anybody to go for a walk in Russian at the midnight :aah: And I don't want Mika to be the judge in this kind of shows in Russia, because the quality is much lower! Can't imagine him to seat by our pop "star" Dima Bilan :teehee:

And I understand your position, but I repeat it again: I really don't think the situation will become better in the nearest future. Even if Mika will come to the next tour in 2015 or 2016, anti-gay law will be still here.

Maybe not but it might die down as an issue in the west. I guess it depends if Putin is just using the law to sweep the reality of gay people under the carpet so he can pretend there are no gays in Russia or if it's going to be used as a tool to continually escalate persecution and harassment of gays. Right now we are hearing first hand reports from people who fear being incarcerated and fear having their children taken away. If that doesn't happen it may stop being such big news here. Of course people will always be offended by these laws but if we all boycotted everywhere that didn't recognize free speech and certain other rights we wouldn't be doing business with or visiting many places. Women do not even have the right of legal personhood in many countries. I would never go there but it doesn't stop Mika and others.

Anyway as far as what has been said in this thread or on Twitter discouraging Mika from going to Russia...I would think the Russian "fan" who screamed at him for months calling him disgusting and threatening him with eternal damnation until he had to block her would influence him more than what people outside Russia have to say. Personally that freaked me out more than what I've been hearing in the news.

Here is what Mika said about his position concerning gay rights in eastern Europe (October 2012 on the Paul de Leeuw show):

(maybe we should open a new thread about this whole discussion and bring the past messages there? But I'm not sure to know how to do it :mf_rosetinted:)

Here is what Mika said about his position concerning gay rights in eastern Europe (October 2012 on the Paul de Leeuw show):

(maybe we should open a new thread about this whole discussion and bring the past messages there? But I'm not sure to know how to do it :mf_rosetinted:)

He surely says f*ck a lot. Tsk tsk Mika. :mf_rosetinted: For the record, I never use that dirty word.:mf_rosetinted:

Maybe not but it might die down as an issue in the west. I guess it depends if Putin is just using the law to sweep the reality of gay people under the carpet so he can pretend there are no gays in Russia or if it's going to be used as a tool to continually escalate persecution and harassment of gays. Right now we are hearing first hand reports from people who fear being incarcerated and fear having their children taken away. If that doesn't happen it may stop being such big news here. Of course people will always be offended by these laws but if we all boycotted everywhere that didn't recognize free speech and certain other rights we wouldn't be doing business with or visiting many places. Women do not even have the right of legal personhood in many countries. I would never go there but it doesn't stop Mika and others.

Anyway as far as what has been said in this thread or on Twitter discouraging Mika from going to Russia...I would think the Russian "fan" who screamed at him for months calling him disgusting and threatening him with eternal damnation until he had to block her would influence him more than what people outside Russia have to say. Personally that freaked me out more than what I've been hearing in the news.

I suppose Putin just wants to have a mechanism for every person in out country that would help to hold each of us in fear. Fear to loose our posessions, kids, job, freedom. He just invented the instrument for another layer of our societ - for gay people. And now our autherities have an opportunity to use this law when they find it convenient. Because the law is here when some people from the top need it. I very touched that Mika mentioned our situation in the last XL column! It means he does care! I suppose you are right and it won't stop him. On the other hand some famous people denied invitations to come to Russia. I can recall one actor who refused to come to the film festival because of this law. That's why I worry.

And I try by myself as a Russian person to create the positive impression about his fans here :blush-anim-cl: Well I'm quite a good girl :blush-anim-cl:

If you know one Russian you can't tell you know all the Russians :)

Edited by Mousetrap

I suppose Putin just wants to have a mechanism for every person in out country that would help to hold each of us in fear. Fear to loose our posessions, kids, job, freedom. He just invented the instrument for another layer of our societ - for gay people. And now our autherities have an opportunity to use this law when they find it convenient. Because the law is here when some people from the top need it. I very touched that Mika mentioned our situation in the last XL column! It means he does care! I suppose you are right and it won't stop him. On the other hand some famous people denied invitations to come to Russia. I can recall one actor who refused to come to the film festival because of this law. That's why I worry.

And I try by myself as a Russian person to create the positive impression about his fans here :blush-anim-cl: Well I'm quite a good girl :blush-anim-cl:

If you know one Russian you can't tell you know all the Russians :)

I think you are a very sweet person and you are showing the good side of Russia. It's just a shame that the hunger for power destroys so many lives.