MIKA as a judge at "THE VOICE" France 2014

Sweetieval

I think you are a very sweet person and you are showing the good side of Russia. It's just a shame that the hunger for power destroys so many lives.

I'm touched, thank you, dear :huglove: We just live in stress almost all the time and it is visible, you can see it on people's faces. I love my country but I'm so tired of it!

We all know the Russian fans are great and tolerant persons:huglove::huglove:

Thank you for kind words!

Here is what Mika said about his position concerning gay rights in eastern Europe (October 2012 on the Paul de Leeuw show):

(maybe we should open a new thread about this whole discussion and bring the past messages there? But I'm not sure to know how to do it :mf_rosetinted:)

I'm so proud that in Ukraine there was the first gay parade this May! Well, with the police who defended them from the little furious mob, but anyway...

So I really hope that we will go towards EU, and without guarantee of the human rights they won't cooperate with Ukraine.

Hello MFC,

I came back and read the all thread, I did not know the situation was that bad in Russia, Mousetrap and Dreamy Queen, you should create a whole thread about your country, we could learn a lot about your politics, culture and habits. That would be interesting to have such threads for each country, I think we have 66 countries here on MFC, relating to the Peace Project :thumb_yello:

In my opinion, the last edition of The Voice was f---ing good :thumb_yello:

At the end, each judge had 2 singers, they were 8 in the competition and, honestly, I could not decide who was the best singer between 5 of them :shocked:

I wrote a twitt to Mika saying that he would find a lot of competition when he would be back to France because singers from The Voice were really impressive :thumb_yello:

They made a tour in France, I could not go there the day they when they were next to my home but a friend of mine went to the gig and said it was absolutely marvellous.

Concerning the current judges :

- I love Garou :wub2:, no need to describe why, canadian fans will understand why he is so adorable and, with no doubt, very very powerful and good singer

- I used to love Jenifer when she had 2 albums, her songs are not really philosophic but this girl has a voice (light soprano but just and powerfull sometimes). She won the first edition of "La star academy" in France in the beginning of the 21th century, that is for a good reason ==} that girl CAN sing and sing well :thumb_yello:

- Concerning Florent Pagny, I discovered him when I was a child as an actor and I immediatly loved him. A few years later he became a singer, I think he was a better actor than singer. I can't say I like everything he is singing but this man has got a voice, like a tenor. What is strange with him is his behaviour and his looks, he is changing a lot. One year he can be with long blond hair and a beard, the year after he is with no hair and no beard, the year after he is brown with middle hair and no beard, well this is weird. But it doesn't change the way he can sing, fortunately. He is more interested now in lyrical singing but he sang some "normal" songs too, as I said, this man is a cameleon :naughty:

He had a lot of troubles in France, he felt down out of success for a while and had drugs and money troubles, so he escaped in Patagonia where he found his wife (or maybe he knew her before) and came back here with new look and songs. He was changed when he came back and he's talking about the money you have to pay to the country when you have some in France, he is also talking discretly about drugs in one song and his wife and new country in a marvellous song called "Terre" in his album "Châtelet les Halles".

Of course they will :naughty: I would not hesitate either :teehee: But I'll rely on my colleagues who watch the programme to tell me about Mika and the candidates he has chosen because this kind of programme is not my cup of tea. I would have rather seen Mika preparing album n°4 and promoting it. I hope he can still do this while doing 'the Voice' :mf_rosetinted:. If he can't, I'll put the blame on TF1 :fisch:.

The candidates trained by Mika will be very lucky :wink2:

What Muriel ? Mika will be on french TV every saturday this winter and you are not going to watch it ??? I can't believe it :shocked:

Personnally, I will and record it if I a m working. I must look at The Voice because my children and even my husband love this TV show (unless hubby changes his mind this year because of Mika, that is possible (-,)

We can say whatever we want but I think money is the main reason he decided to do this. I'm not a fan of this decision but I hope he will surprise us with good music anytime soon. What would be a good idea is to do a Lady Gaga and rerelease TOOL with an ep of 5 to 8 songs. Then he won't be forgotten while working on a 4th album and still rides the waves of his popularity on the show.

Personnally, I think the most important reason is promotion. (and, therefore, money).

Garou has made a new single, Jenifer Two albums and Florent Pagny an album since the last The Voice.

What I see in France : TOOL had no real advertisement and, now, with the Swatch ad, "Underwater" is always on french radios and a lot of friends of mine say to me they love this song, they want the album.

In the Giorgio Armani ad with Cate Blanchett, they also use a Mika song "In any other world", the violin part, people will look for this music and find it is Mika and buy the album and start loving him :wub2:

It was in late 2011, we even had a whole thread about it. http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26406&highlight=voice+france Would be fun to read this back now.

Thanks, now you wirte it I remember I have seen this thread here :wink2:

Well... It's very hard for me to explain the situation. First of all we have some gay pop stars in our country, very famous but they don't speak about their sexuality. It's not usual for Russian famous people to make comming out, I've never heard about it. Everybody knows but at the same time it's hidden. Our community is very conservative and many people don't like gay people, hate them or just don't care. I can say that gay people hide from the society, it was before the law and it will be afterwards. I live in a big city and I've never seen a gay man here, really. Perhaps I had but I didn't notice because they don't want to show it. Moreover, you can only read some news about situation with gay rights on the Intrvet in some independent cites or blogs. We pretend it doesn't exist. Like it's some kind of fasion from the bad West and it does't belong here. That's why it's hard for me to say what the real situation is like.

I don't think there can be some danger for Mika in Russia. He's famous and he's an artist. For Russian to be an artist and to be a gay is OK I suppose. I want him to come here but I don't want him to speak about gay rights during his stay Russia. Not because he can be arrested, it's nonsense! But because some crazy Russian politics can try to bring him to the court and it'd embarrasing. I'd be embarrased! On the other hand I want him to speak or write about gay rights like he did in his last XL column. It means a lot for Russian fans. We know that he cares about us.

Don't hesitate to create a thread about this special situation, people in western Europe have no idea how it's going on in your countries.

I have stayed for 6 weeks in an eastern Europe country when I was 20 (Roumania) and I have realized how poor was this country compared to mine but also how kind and generous were those people, compared to us selfish and "rich" european :wink2:

Edited by Sweetieval

Hello MFC,

I came back and read the all thread, I did not know the situation was that bad in Russia, Mousetrap and Dreamy Queen, you should create a whole thread about your country, we could learn a lot about your politics, culture and habits. That would be interesting to have such threads for each country, I think we have 66 countries here on MFC, relating to the Peace Project :thumb_yello:

In my opinion, the last edition of The Voice was f---ing good :thumb_yello:

At the end, each judge had 2 singers, they were 8 in the competition and, honestly, I could not decide who was the best singer between 5 of them :shocked:

I wrote a twitt to Mika saying that he would find a lot of competition when he would be back to France because singers from The Voice were really impressive :thumb_yello:

They made a tour in France, I could not go there the day they when they were next to my home but a friend of mine went to the gig and said it was absolutely marvellous.

Concerning the current judges :

- I love Garou :wub2:, no need to describe why, canadian fans will understand why he is so adorable and, with no doubt, very very powerful and good singer

- I used to love Jenifer when she had 2 albums, her songs are not really philosophic but this girl has a voice (light soprano but just and powerfull sometimes). She won the first edition of "La star academy" in France in the beginning of the 21th century, that is for a good reason ==} that girl CAN sing and sing well :thumb_yello:

- Concerning Florent Pagny, I discovered him when I was a child as an actor and I immediatly loved him. A few years later he became a singer, I think he was a better actor than singer. I can't say I like everything he is singing but this man has got a voice, like a tenor. What is strange with him is his behaviour and his looks, he is changing a lot. One year he can be with long blond hair and a bear, the year after he is with no hair and no bear, the year after he is brown with middle hair and no bear, well this is weird. But it doesn't change the way he can sing, fortunately. He is more interested now in lyrical singing but he sang some "normal" songs too, as I said, this man is a cameleon :naughty:

He had a lot of troubles in France, he felt down out of success for a while and had drugs and money troubles, so he escaped in Patagonia where he found his wife (or maybe he knew her before) and came back here with new look and songs. He was changed when he came back and he's talking about the money you have to pay to the country when you have some in France, he is also talking discretly about drugs in one song and his wife and new country in a marvellous song called "Terre" in his album "Châtelet les Halles".

What Muriel ? Mika will be on french TV every saturday this winter and you are not going to watch it ??? I can't believe it :shocked:

Personnally, I will and record it if I a m working. I must look at The Voice because my children and even my husband love this TV show (unless hubby changes his mind this year because of Mika, that is possible (-,)

Personnally, I think the most important reason is promotion. (and, therefore, money).

Garou has made a new single, Jenifer Two albums and Florent Pagny an album since the last The Voice.

What I see in France : TOOL had no real advertisement and, now, with the Swatch ad, "Underwater" is always on french radios and a lot of friends of mine say to me they love this song, they want the album.

In the Giorgio Armani ad with Cate Blanchett, they also use a Mika song "In any other world", the violin part, people will look for this music and find it is Mika and buy the album and start loving him :wub2:

Don't hesitate to create a thread about this special situation, people in western Europe have no idea how it's going on in your countries.

I have stayed for 6 weeks in an eastern Europe country when I was 20 (Roumania) and I have realized how poor was this country compared to mine but also how kind and generous were those people, compared to us selfish and "rich" european :wink2:

That's a typo :teehee: She meant a beard. But I'd love to see Florent Pagny with a bearskin one day :naughty::bleh:

I agree with Valerie and would love to read a thread about former Soviet countries. It would be very interesting. Another one about Iran would be also appreciated: Yasi makes me discover her culture and country in another thread. It's fascinating.

Well, I'll be sent to the bad fan corner (we'll need one if it doesn't exist :naughty:). If someone can just record Mika's sayings and the candidates he chose (:pray:), I will watch it. But if I have to see the whole programme to see Mika, that's not my cup of tea, sorry :blush-anim-cl:

To conclude, you're also right about Mika's last album, people discovering "Underwater" only now and liking or loving the song and the lack of promotion of TOOL :tears:

Was there really a lack of promotion in France? I seem to recall that is all he was doing. French radio, interviews, etc. Maybe we just live in a world where these things don't have much impact anymore. People are more interested in celebrity and controversy and social media and since Mika has always shied away from these things he has fallen behind. Even big record company-hyped launches like Katy Perry and Gaga really need the artists' celebrity and constant contact with the public to fuel it. If Katy Perry was not dating famous men and was pooh-poohing Twitter the way Mika has done for the past 4 years I'm not so sure she wouldn't struggle with "promotion" of her album as well.

Was there really a lack of promotion in France? I seem to recall that is all he was doing. French radio, interviews, etc. Maybe we just live in a world where these things don't have much impact anymore. People are more interested in celebrity and controversy and social media and since Mika has always shied away from these things he has fallen behind. Even big record company-hyped launches like Katy Perry and Gaga really need the artists' celebrity and constant contact with the public to fuel it. If Katy Perry was not dating famous men and was pooh-poohing Twitter the way Mika has done for the past 4 years I'm not so sure she wouldn't struggle with "promotion" of her album as well.

Yes he did some radio and magazine interviews but not a lot comparing to the release of TBWKTM and only for a short period when 'Celebrate' and TOOL were released and then we haven't heard about the album anymore. People are more interested in controversy of course but also in newness. Mika was new in 2007/2008 and most radios have moved on. Mika is considered as a one hit wonder or a has been by many people around me (:sneaky2:) We're lucky "Elle me dit" was a hit in France and old Mika's songs are still played on a regular basis. This Swatch ad is a blessing too to make people (re)discover "Underwater".

This Swatch ad is a blessing too to make people (re)discover "Underwater".

Russian VKontakte (which is very powerful red) is riddled with UW! People post the song itself, the advertising, and the official video - indeed thanks to Swatch Mika came again to this part of the world! And as I see, people re-discover him, finding the other songs.

Never thought that the watch company can make it so huge.

Yes he did some radio and magazine interviews but not a lot comparing to the release of TBWKTM and only for a short period when 'Celebrate' and TOOL were released and then we haven't heard about the album anymore.

I would guess that is because the initial promotion was not successful enough to warrant further promotion.

People are more interested in controversy of course but also in newness. Mika was new in 2007/2008 and most radios have moved on. Mika is considered as a one hit wonder or a has been by many people around me (:sneaky2:)

I don't think you can blame the latter only on people's craving for newness. Adele and Katy Perry both became well known artists on the basis of their first albums but their second albums were far more successful. Katy Perry is still going strong and if Roar is any indication of the new album I don't think she'll have any problem maintaining her position as one of the top pop artists in the world.

Mika disappeared after he was done touring LICM and he has openly shunned social media and now it seems he has to resort to these TV shows to make up for it. Why don't you like me without making me try? Well sorry but everyone has to try and the public facing aspects of being a pop star is not a part time job anymore.

Was the publicity useful for them? Did they have time to make music at the same time or did they do it after the season?

There are some famous artists as judges in my country but Finland is such a small country for music business (so it probably works differently) and I haven't much followed their careers or album sales any way.

Mika disappeared after he was done touring LICM and he has openly shunned social media and now it seems he has to resort to these TV shows to make up for it. Why don't you like me without making me try? Well sorry but everyone has to try and the public facing aspects of being a pop star is not a part time job anymore.

Can I ask what is the difference between him forcing himself to use social media purely to promote himself and him taking part to tv shows purely to promote himself? He didn't do the first option much, it's possible he is doing the latter option because he feels he needs to (but we can't know his reasons). Why people wanted him to do the first one but don't want him to do the latter one? I'm just trying to understand. I mean, there's not much joy reading his tweets if it's clear he totally hates it. Isn't it much better for us that he does it when he feels like it?

Hello MFC,

I agree, Val -- it's one of the things I enjoy most about MFC. Learning about other people/cultures, I find it fascinating.

:naughty: Oh, those husbands! And obviously, if you record it, I'll be grateful and will probably watch some of it, even if I don't understand French very well, and even though this sort of show is not something I'd normally watch and I wish Mika weren't doing it. But it IS Mika, after all. :wub2:

And it's interesting to me to hear you and Muriel talk about the Swatch ad and the Giorgio Armani ad -- neither of which seem to be shown here in the US. I mean, I don't watch TV every minute of every day, but I do watch some, and I've never seen either ad, even though both products are obviously sold here. :dunno:

I agree, Val -- it's one of the things I enjoy most about MFC. Learning about other people/cultures, I find it fascinating.

. :dunno:

Are you sure about it? I think political issues may cause most heated discussions, and MFC is not about policy of Russia, USA or any other countries. :dunno: I`m afraid it will be destructive, not uniting.

I prefer things like The Peace Project, but not talk on politics per se.

Even arguing about the "way Mika should build his career" seems more exciting for me :aah:

I thought he was big in France.

Anyway, I have observed and been slightly involved in Katy's promo process, but it can't be compared to Mika's. They've created a hype around the album and single. She hired a golden truck to announce the album and drove it around. She connected with fans over Twitter and woukd reply if they posted pics of the truck. Her perfume launch has been big. Basically everything she does is big and mostly via social media and in person. Radio is not that popular anymore and neither is tv. If you want to grab the attention, you must do something special.

I thought he was big in France.

Anyway, I have observed and been slightly involved in Katy's promo process, but it can't be compared to Mika's. They've created a hype around the album and single. She hired a golden truck to announce the album and drove it around. She connected with fans over Twitter and woukd reply if they posted pics of the truck. Her perfume launch has been big. Basically everything she does is big and mostly via social media and in person. Radio is not that popular anymore and neither is tv. If you want to grab the attention, you must do something special.

Oh, Mika would definitely love to drive a golden truck :naughty: Tweeting and connecting with fans would be pure fun after that. I guess he would be happy to do short campaigns when launching albums (if the record company pays promo). It's more difficult to use social media between albums. And at the same time some of these young singers are kissing Justin Bieber to have pics for their twitter/FB and licking hammers without any clothes to have Youtube views.

Oh, Mika would definitely love to drive a golden truck :naughty: Tweeting and connecting with fans would be pure fun after that. I guess he would be happy to do short campaigns when launching albums (if the record company pays promo). It's more difficult to use social media between albums. And at the same time some of these young singers are kissing Justin Bieber to have pics for their twitter/FB and licking hammers without any clothes to have Youtube views.

She didn't drive it herself but she was in the truck at the final stop:naughty:.

It doesn't have to be controversial. Katy didn't do anything controversial and she owns the charts. Just grab the attention. Mika failed to do so as the general public had no idea there was an album out in the first place.

She didn't drive it herself but she was in the truck at the final stop:naughty:.

It doesn't have to be controversial. Katy didn't do anything controversial and she owns the charts. Just grab the attention. Mika failed to do so as the general public had no idea there was an album out in the first place.

I know. Katy maybe doesn't need to do controversial things but some of those young artists are doing. Just mentioned them to describe the competition. They did hardly any promo for TOOL. Felt so bad for him.

I know. Katy maybe doesn't need to do controversial things but some of those young artists are doing. Just mentioned them to describe the competition. They did hardly any promo for TOOL. Felt so bad for him.

Well, Gaga felt it was necessarily to do porn poses in V magazine and she has been around for a few years:naughty:.

But we can all blame it on others, but Mika himself also has a say in it and there are more ways of promo other than asking your record company for money and doing interviews.

Are you sure about it? I think political issues may cause most heated discussions, and MFC is not about policy of Russia, USA or any other countries. :dunno: I`m afraid it will be destructive, not uniting.

I prefer things like The Peace Project, but not talk on politics per se.

But the Peace Project was borne out of a heated political discussion on MFC.

People are going to think negative things about certain countries and situations whether we discuss it or not. At least if we discuss it there is a chance to inform people of both sides and soften people's opinion. People are subjected to a lot of bias in their own media and a lot of propaganda by their own government. I think it is helpful for real people to have an unfiltered discussion without all the propaganda and biased info getting in the way.

I think it's especially important to realize that not all citizens of a country support some of the laws or military strategy or cultural problems. Even in a democratic country like the US this is the case.

But the Peace Project was borne out of a heated political discussion on MFC.

People are going to think negative things about certain countries and situations whether we discuss it or not. At least if we discuss it there is a chance to inform people of both sides and soften people's opinion. People are subjected to a lot of bias in their own media and a lot of propaganda by their own government. I think it is helpful for real people to have an unfiltered discussion without all the propaganda and biased info getting in the way.

I think it's especially important to realize that not all citizens of a country support some of the laws or military strategy or cultural problems. Even in a democratic country like the US this is the case.

I couldn't have said this better! That's exactly what I think :thumb_yello: I love to talk to native people, discover a country or culture from different viewpoints and try to get rid of clichés I may have :wink2:

I couldn't have said this better! That's exactly what I think :thumb_yello: I love to talk to native people, discover a country or culture from different viewpoints and try to get rid of clichés I may have :wink2:

Yes I have my own biases against the US but I have worked with so many Americans, visited so many times and been talking to people on the internet for almost 20 years. I can appreciate that their political and social issues are highly complex and you can't paint all (or even most) Americans with the same brush. If people are never challenged on their stereotypical ideas they will believe them forever. That's why you have multi-generational conflict in some regions and not talking about it just leads to endless fighting.