Montreal - Travel Plans and Discussions

Treasa

:naughty: Now i'll have that vision too :teehee:

Montreal is quite big, so some parts are flat & some sections are hilly.

The city is built around a mountain, so it is to be expected (as per Nanou, it isn't a "mountain" but a hill.... Switzerland has a different definition of mountain :naughty:)

That being said, i don't recall many hills around the OSM area

this is the google map of the area

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5094576,-73.5664301,3a,75y,123.52h,87.98t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1soWDV0WZE8buJhmE9G8xFvw!2e0

I read about Mont Royal, so that's why i thought there might be a lot of hills of around. Thanks for the info & the map. Dunno why i didnt think to check google maps before :doh:

As i wandered around the google map, totally disoriented, i wondered how the heck does anyone figure out where they are?! Like, most cities i've been to have numbered streets that go north-south or east-west and named streets that go opposite but Montreal seems to have no such organization :confused:. Do address numbers start at the river and get larger the further inland you go? I read that streets in Montreal that say Ouest are west of Blvd Saint-Laurent and those that say Est are east, is there a street that divides north and south too? Sorry for all the questions, but my phone doesn't have GPS and i'm a worrier.

Edited by kreacher

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read about Mont Royal, so that's why i thought there might be a lot of hills of around. Thanks for the info & the map. Dunno why i didnt think to check google maps before :doh:

As i wandered around the google map, totally disoriented, i wondered how the heck does anyone figure out where they are?! Like, most cities i've been to have numbered streets that go north-south or east-west and named streets that go opposite but Montreal seems to have no such organization :confused:. Do address numbers start at the river and get larger the further inland you go? I read that streets in Montreal that say Ouest are west of Blvd Saint-Laurent and those that say Est are east, is there a street that divides north and south too? Sorry for all the questions, but my phone doesn't have GPS and i'm a worrier.

http://www.toutmontreal.com/english/eguide/general/montreal.html

Read the last 2 paragraphs :naughty:

The city is built around a mountain, so it is to be expected (as per Nanou, it isn't a "mountain" but a hill.... Switzerland has a different definition of mountain :naughty:)

That being said, i don't recall many hills around the OSM area

this is the google map of the area

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5094576,-73.5664301,3a,75y,123.52h,87.98t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1soWDV0WZE8buJhmE9G8xFvw!2e0

It's a bit of a downhill going east between University street and OSM area...

Don't worry... It's pretty easy figuring downtown layout once you're there. It's not such a huge city!

Hey ! I posted a message a couple of weeks ago regarding the fact I'd be more than willing to host any MFC members for 1-3 nights I live with two other college students (we all go to McGill university) and would be more than glad to have someone chill on our futon. Helping out fellow MIKA friends :)

I live on the corner of rue sainte-elisabeth and rue sainte-catherine, basically a 5 min walk max to OSM in the quartier des spectacles.

Message me if you're interested ! You can check out my Facebook (don't worry, I am a real person ! :naughty: ) if need be. French speaker here as well :thumb_yello:

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have my passport yet but today i booked my flight to Montreal :thumb_yello::clap:

I'll be arriving at YUL about 23 minutes after midnight on the 10th. if anyone happens to be in the Chicago O'hare airport at about 8:30pm on the 9th you might just get a glimpse of me running from terminal 1 to terminal 2 :teehee:

Don't have my passport yet but today i booked my flight to Montreal :thumb_yello::clap:

I'll be arriving at YUL about 23 minutes after midnight on the 10th. if anyone happens to be in the Chicago O'hare airport at about 8:30pm on the 9th you might just get a glimpse of me running from terminal 1 to terminal 2 :teehee:

Hi Dee, that means you'll miss the first night gig then?

a mountain?? :blink::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

:teehee:

Dancing in my chair - just checked and got this message from the Bureau of Consular Affairs:

"We have finished processing your passport, and it has been mailed to you using Priority Mail.

You should receive your passport on or about 01/11/2015."

Oh, I am just BOUNCY now!

Hey ! I posted a message a couple of weeks ago regarding the fact I'd be more than willing to host any MFC members for 1-3 nights I live with two other college students (we all go to McGill university) and would be more than glad to have someone chill on our futon. Helping out fellow MIKA friends :)

I live on the corner of rue sainte-elisabeth and rue sainte-catherine' date=' basically a 5 min walk max to OSM in the quartier des spectacles.

Message me if you're interested ! You can check out my Facebook (don't worry, I am a real person ! :naughty: ) if need be. French speaker here as well :thumb_yello:[/quote']

That's very kind of you! :thumb_yello: I've already gotten my accommodations all lined up, though.

Getting so close now! :excite:

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering when everyone will be arriving/leaving Montreal. I know a few people coming in early in the week, I'm flying in on Saturday before the gigs and leaving on the Saturday (14th = Valentine's day) after the gig.

I was wondering if anyone would like to get together during the days or on the free evenings to wander the city, get some lunch, visit tourist spots, check out some pubs, go dancing, go karaoke, or whatever :)

I'm very excited to meet many of you at the big dinner that's in the plans but it sure would be nice to get to know many of you even better when we've got some time just to hang out.

This is going to be such a fun trip, I'd just love to make the most of the time I have in Montreal and with/among you all. :gathering::drunk_sing::group_hug:

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering when everyone will be arriving/leaving Montreal. I know a few people coming in early in the week, I'm flying in on Saturday before the gigs and leaving on the Saturday (14th = Valentine's day) after the gig.

I was wondering if anyone would like to get together during the days or on the free evenings to wander the city, get some lunch, visit tourist spots, check out some pubs, go dancing, go karaoke, or whatever :)

I'm very excited to meet many of you at the big dinner that's in the plans but it sure would be nice to get to know many of you even better when we've got some time just to hang out.

This is going to be such a fun trip, I'd just love to make the most of the time I have in Montreal and with/among you all. :gathering::drunk_sing::group_hug:

Well of course! I hope to find some bead shops and music stores and the like - and know everybody won't be into that!

Hello everyone,

:thumb_yello: This sounds just fantastic!! :huglove: Like you, I'll be in Montreal the whole week, from sunday eve, till next saturday. And I have no special plans - just hope to hang around with MFCers, and do what you talk about here - see, and get to know the city a bit, but most important, share time with you, kind and nice MIKA fans - I'm sure it will be amazing days ...:mikadas:

Love,love

me

We're there from Saturday evening 7th until Friday 13th. Would be great to meet up now and then.

Am going to spend tonight checking out touristy things I want to do (weather permitting).

Anyone want to share what tourist attractions they'll be seeing/doing?

Well of course! I hope to find some bead shops and music stores and the like - and know everybody won't be into that!

:thumb_yello: This sounds just fantastic!! :huglove: Like you, I'll be in Montreal the whole week, from sunday eve, till next saturday. And I have no special plans - just hope to hang around with MFCers, and do what you talk about here - see, and get to know the city a bit, but most important, share time with you, kind and nice MIKA fans - I'm sure it will be amazing days ...:mikadas:

Love,love

me

As I work downtown, I am available for lunch any week day:wink2:

We're there from Saturday evening 7th until Friday 13th. Would be great to meet up now and then.

Am going to spend tonight checking out touristy things I want to do (weather permitting).

Anyone want to share what tourist attractions they'll be seeing/doing?

Ok so first I think we need to figure out a universal way of communicating while in Montreal so we can meet up or let each other know where we are in case of a stalled bus or whatever pops up :) Is everyone planning on just using MFC forums? I will have my cell phone and will be able to text but I'm not sure others traveling in from outside of Canada will have a cell or will want to use it in Canada...any suggestions?

Since I've never actually seen any of you in person I'd love to be able to recognize MFCers on the street. There was a suggestion made in Chat a could weeks ago about wearing a purple (or any colour) feather or some kind of MFC sign/button (buttons are harder to notice...for me lol) if you're wandering the streets of Montreal. I like the purple feather idea...hahahaha I don't know if others will like so if you have a better idea please share it :)

I personally think some form of identification is a great idea but I dont know about a feather seeing as I wouldnt know where to begin to put one, and it may easily fall or be blown off, Canadian winters are brutal T_T. I think we should all wear big decorative necklaces like our ever so loved Mika <3, anything from wooden beeds to mardy gras necklaces, just something costumy or maybe a pink hanky tied around your mitten clad hand for when you are all bundled up <3 lmaooo. As for communication; Since texting out of your country is usually an arm and a leg roaming charges I think everyone should download like the watsapp app or kik messenger app, that way we can all communicate as if we were texting without all those nasty roaming charges, and it helps for all of us who have limited data and cant afford to be on the forums via our phones. Just some ideas <3

same times here. but i haven't planned yet what to see in montreal. might have a look at this snow festival on sunday, tho cath said it's just for (older) kids - but that island might be interesting anyway, so why not have a look. but apart from that i have no idea yet.

but since i have to adjust my schedule around my son's sleeping/feeding times, i'm not sure how much of meeting up i can actually do. :aah: will try tho, would love to spend time with mfcers! :wub2:

Since I've never actually seen any of you in person I'd love to be able to recognize MFCers on the street. There was a suggestion made in Chat a could weeks ago about wearing a purple (or any colour) feather or some kind of MFC sign/button (buttons are harder to notice...for me lol) if you're wandering the streets of Montreal. I like the purple feather idea...hahahaha I don't know if others will like so if you have a better idea please share it :)

of course i'm up for anything that involves feathers. :naughty: not sure tho whether that makes sense when it's snowing... :fisch:

630x354_

Edited by mellody

I think we should stick with an MFC pin or purple feather. I would love spotting fellow MFCers strolling around Montreal.

Twitter might be a good way to keep in touch with what's going on. We can put each other on tweet alert and hashtag our tweets with something like - #MFCMontreal

We're bound to pick us free wifi throughout the day.

I think we should stick with an MFC pin or purple feather. I would love spotting fellow MFCers strolling around Montreal.

Twitter might be a good way to keep in touch with what's going on. We can put each other on tweet alert and hashtag our tweets with something like - #MFCMontreal

We're bound to pick us free wifi throughout the day.

twitter is a good idea specially if we have a handle so we can pick up each other. Awesome <3