Shooting for a commercial in Antwerpen, Belgium (26/07/14)

BiaIchihara

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, I wasn't there :tears: but I can tell you about it and how Mika Fan Club fans happened to be there :thumb_yello:

For the benefit of our new members who may not realize it, Mika actually owns the domain MikaFanClub.com -- basically he owns MFC. The MFC Mod/Admin Team work very closely with his management team based in London. We're in contact with them several times a week, discussing various things that affect the fans -- sometimes competitions, ticket giveaways, meet and greets, and other things.

A few days ago, late in the day on Wednesday, we were asked to find 20 or so fans in the Antwerp area for some filming. At the time it was unclear whether Mika would actually be there, but we were asked to only invite fans who could be discreet. What does discreet mean? In this case, it meant fans who could be trusted to keep this filming to themselves and not discuss it publicly on social media or even privately with other fans who were not invited. It was important to keep this filming low-key for several reasons, mostly because it would not have been possible to film if dozens of screaming, crazed fans turned up uninvited.

The next day, we began to track down fans who we knew were from northern Belgium and the Netherlands who we thought might be able to commit to a full-day of filming on such short notice. We sent PM's here on MFC and also posted a message on the MFC Facebook page geotagged for Belgium. I began to go through and look for names I recognized as well as people who appeared to be in the Antwerp area. Many people didn't reply to me, some who did reply were unable to attend because they were on holiday, had to work or had other commitments.

Eventually, we came up with around 20 names of MFCers, both long-time fans and newer ones, who said they were absolutely positive they could make the filming. By that time, it was confirmed that Mika would be on hand for the filming! :thumb_yello: I gave everyone a lecture on keeping quiet about this filming and also on how to behave -- no one should crowd around Mika or beg for his signature or a photo, as it was all meant to be very relaxed and laid-back.

I sent the list of names to Mika's team, and they gave the fans more details on the filming, which lasted from noon until late in the day. It eventually turned out that the filming was for a commercial.

And of course by now you've seen all the photos and videos all over Twitter and FB so you know how the day went. It seems that everything went smoothly -- and I think everyone was able to have a little Mika time, taking a photo with him, or at least chatting a few words with him. :wub2:

I wanted to take a minute here to stress that this all went off so well because the MFCers involved -- both those who ended up going as well as those who were asked but could not go -- understood how important it was to not blab all over the internet that something was going to happen in Antwerp this weekend. Of course, I know that some details leaked out because I received several messages from curious fans who had heard hints about "something." But overall, everyone understood that sometimes you do need to have some secrecy -- if it had not gone so well, it could very well have jeopardized our chance for future similar opportunities. So I wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you who honored our request to keep things to yourself.

You also probably understand now why I was asking everyone to update their location and ages in the user profiles. We really DO need to take a look at our demographics. But also if more chances like this come up in the future, it will be a lot easier for us to search on your locations and find you -- as much as I would like to know everything about every one of you, there is just no way I can! :wink2: Also, sometimes these things have age limits (although this one didn't) and we need to be sure that you're over 16 or over 18 or whatever may be required.

Anyhow... that's my long answer to mine's question! If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM. :thumb_yello:

I see so many countries in our profiles after your explanation :naughty::naughty:

I'm proud to claim my update BEFORE.

Did I win anything? :aah:

I don't understand what's difficult to understand about this. :dunno:

It's a commercial for Mobistar that Mika happens to be in.

If they release it around the time of the album release, it will be all over TV -- wherever Mobistar is -- and will remind people of who Mika is. If it were exclusively to promote the album, they wouldn't be using Grace Kelly.

Maybe there will be a mention of the upcoming album in the commercial, maybe not. I don't know. But the fact that it will put Mika's face on TV in areas where he hasn't been recently is a positive advertisement for the new album.

I think you're trying to read too much into this. It's just a commercial. :naughty:

Exactly. That's why I'm a little bit astonished that it seems to be perceived as something that would help the album. Yes, at parts it'll do, because he'll be on TV. But I don't understand what the difference to the other ads is, especially to the one from Tre, regarding this. And in a way I don't understand what the "moral difference" between these ads is.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: I'm no "hater" of the ads as everybody should know, and from what we did see so far it looks nice (well, seeing him on the piano actually looks great :wub2::naughty:)

And the fact that it's a commercial doesn't mean it can't be album promotion at the same time. But with commercials, there can be more useful ones and less useful ones. And more people will be brought into mind that he has a new album if the ad is somehow connected to the album. The "information transfer effect" would be much bigger than if "only" he himself is in it and sings an old song. Therefore I was curious if it's something like San Miguel did or Swatch with Underwater (I mean a new song as music in the ad). But nobody seems to know it at the moment. But it would be great if that would be the case :thumb_yello:

Thanks for photos !

When I saw this in Twitter for the first time, I was wondering why he was in Belgium ? :blink:

And, with the appearance of cameras, There was certainly for a promotion or other thing.

It's sympathic to listen GK in a train station ! Some Belgium people were have many luck :wub2:

And, I love the piano "Try me" :wub2:

Thanks for the explanation Deb. It's great to see that MIKA still want his fans, it's comforting and definitely cool!

I'm happy for everyone who was there, i bet it was fun!

Cant wait to see the commercial...hopefully soon on YT :)

i'm over 18 Deb! :thumb_yello:

:naughty:

:lmfao:

Me too :blush-anim-cl: and I'm French :naughty:

Obviously, I wasn't there :tears: but I can tell you about it and how Mika Fan Club fans happened to be there :thumb_yello:

For the benefit of our new members who may not realize it, Mika actually owns the domain MikaFanClub.com -- basically he owns MFC. The MFC Mod/Admin Team work very closely with his management team based in London. We're in contact with them several times a week, discussing various things that affect the fans -- sometimes competitions, ticket giveaways, meet and greets, and other things.

A few days ago, late in the day on Wednesday, we were asked to find 20 or so fans in the Antwerp area for some filming. At the time it was unclear whether Mika would actually be there, but we were asked to only invite fans who could be discreet. What does discreet mean? In this case, it meant fans who could be trusted to keep this filming to themselves and not discuss it publicly on social media or even privately with other fans who were not invited. It was important to keep this filming low-key for several reasons, mostly because it would not have been possible to film if dozens of screaming, crazed fans turned up uninvited.

The next day, we began to track down fans who we knew were from northern Belgium and the Netherlands who we thought might be able to commit to a full-day of filming on such short notice. We sent PM's here on MFC and also posted a message on the MFC Facebook page geotagged for Belgium. I began to go through and look for names I recognized as well as people who appeared to be in the Antwerp area. Many people didn't reply to me, some who did reply were unable to attend because they were on holiday, had to work or had other commitments.

Eventually, we came up with around 20 names of MFCers, both long-time fans and newer ones, who said they were absolutely positive they could make the filming. By that time, it was confirmed that Mika would be on hand for the filming! :thumb_yello: I gave everyone a lecture on keeping quiet about this filming and also on how to behave -- no one should crowd around Mika or beg for his signature or a photo, as it was all meant to be very relaxed and laid-back.

I sent the list of names to Mika's team, and they gave the fans more details on the filming, which lasted from noon until late in the day. It eventually turned out that the filming was for a commercial.

And of course by now you've seen all the photos and videos all over Twitter and FB so you know how the day went. It seems that everything went smoothly -- and I think everyone was able to have a little Mika time, taking a photo with him, or at least chatting a few words with him. :wub2:

I wanted to take a minute here to stress that this all went off so well because the MFCers involved -- both those who ended up going as well as those who were asked but could not go -- understood how important it was to not blab all over the internet that something was going to happen in Antwerp this weekend. Of course, I know that some details leaked out because I received several messages from curious fans who had heard hints about "something." But overall, everyone understood that sometimes you do need to have some secrecy -- if it had not gone so well, it could very well have jeopardized our chance for future similar opportunities. So I wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you who honored our request to keep things to yourself.

You also probably understand now why I was asking everyone to update their location and ages in the user profiles. We really DO need to take a look at our demographics. But also if more chances like this come up in the future, it will be a lot easier for us to search on your locations and find you -- as much as I would like to know everything about every one of you, there is just no way I can! :wink2: Also, sometimes these things have age limits (although this one didn't) and we need to be sure that you're over 16 or over 18 or whatever may be required.

Anyhow... that's my long answer to mine's question! If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM. :thumb_yello:

Thank you for explaining Deb :huglove:

That's so wonderful that Mika did this with fans :wub2: and I'm so happy for those who were able to attend :thumb_yello:

MFC rocks :wub2:

Exactly. That's why I'm a little bit astonished that it seems to be perceived as something that would help the album. Yes, at parts it'll do, because he'll be on TV. But I don't understand what the difference to the other ads is, especially to the one from Tre, regarding this. And in a way I don't understand what the "moral difference" between these ads is.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: I'm no "hater" of the ads as everybody should know, and from what we did see so far it looks nice (well, seeing him on the piano actually looks great :wub2::naughty:)

And the fact that it's a commercial doesn't mean it can't be album promotion at the same time. But with commercials, there can be more useful ones and less useful ones. And more people will be brought into mind that he has a new album if the ad is somehow connected to the album. The "information transfer effect" would be much bigger than if "only" he himself is in it and sings an old song. Therefore I was curious if it's something like San Miguel did or Swatch with Underwater (I mean a new song as music in the ad). But nobody seems to know it at the moment. But it would be great if that would be the case :thumb_yello:

I'm hoping that the soundtrack will be one of the new album song too :thumb_yello:

Commercials have become one of the best ways to promote a song , it worked well for Underwater

:thumb_yello:

I don't understand what the difference to the other ads is, especially to the one from Tre, regarding this. And in a way I don't understand what the "moral difference" between these ads is.

There isn't a "moral" difference, if you want to call it that -- I don't think making commercials is "immoral" at all. :naughty: I'm still disappointed that he feels he needs to do commercials, but I'm resigned to the reality of them. :dunno:

However, for me, the big difference with this commercial is that Mika is singing and being himself -- he's not acting like some goofy guy who makes up silly words like "choosato" when he doesn't know the correct word.

Therefore I was curious if it's something like San Miguel did or Swatch with Underwater (I mean a new song as music in the ad). But nobody seems to know it at the moment. But it would be great if that would be the case :thumb_yello:

I'm hoping that the soundtrack will be one of the new album song too :thumb_yello:

Commercials have become one of the best ways to promote a song , it worked well for Underwater

Well, I don't see how THIS commercial can have a new song on it, if he only sang Grace Kelly during the filming yesterday... it seems that this particular commercial will just use Grace Kelly alone. Maybe if he does a subsequent commercial with the same company they'll use a new song -- I guess that's a possibility.

Thanks for the explanation Deb. It's great to see that MIKA still want his fans, it's comforting and definitely cool!

Yes, that's another thing that's great about this commercial -- that they included fans. He still loves us. :mikalove:

There isn't a "moral" difference, if you want to call it that -- I don't think making commercials is "immoral" at all. :naughty: I'm still disappointed that he feels he needs to do commercials, but I'm resigned to the reality of them. :dunno:

However, for me, the big difference with this commercial is that Mika is singing and being himself -- he's not acting like some goofy guy who makes up silly words like "choosato" when he doesn't know the correct word.

Well, I don't see how THIS commercial can have a new song on it, if he only sang Grace Kelly during the filming yesterday... it seems that this particular commercial will just use Grace Kelly alone. Maybe if he does a subsequent commercial with the same company they'll use a new song -- I guess that's a possibility.

Yes, that's another thing that's great about this commercial -- that they included fans. He still loves us. :mikalove:

:mikadas::mikalove:

beautiful pictures!

nice video clip!

i love them. Thank you for sharing.

and thank you, dcdeb for the thorough explanations on this CM shooting. it is good to know Mika relates to fans :thumb_yello:

Thank you for pics and vids! I can't wait to see the final result :wink2:

And Deb, thank you for your explaination! This, gave me another of the million reasons for how beautiful and important to be part of this great family which is the MFC! We all manage not only to be always updated on news on what concerns mika, but you also work to give the opportunity to each of us to have always amazing experiences and when it's possible even the chance to meet mika :wub2:

So thank you for what you do!!

:wub2:

I wonder if he was the one choosing Belgium for the ad... I like that there was many events in diferent countries these last weeks.

Thank you Deb and Team Mika!! I'm glad everything went smoothly -it looks like Mika enjoyed it as well- and hope that other events will be organized with fans :wub2:

Happy for those who lived such a special experience and sorry for the ones who couldn't make it.

To clarify: the commercial is for a phone provider, not to promote his new album. It will just give him more exposure when the album comes out hence it will be released around the same time as the album.

I think the massive difference is that he just got to be himself in this commercial and allowed himself to have fun even though he took the filming dead serious. EVERY popstar does commercials at some point. The Italian ones were awful. This will be an online campaign so it won't be crammed into 22 seconds. As I was part of the process I can assure you it will be nice and naturel.

Thanks for writing your long explanation, Deb! Great job with this event as always - your work is highly appreciated :flowers2: Also, good to read how well everything went, I feel proud to be a part of MFC!

I know, made me so happy to hear he included his fans! :wub2:

I think the massive difference is that he just got to be himself in this commercial and allowed himself to have fun even though he took the filming dead serious. EVERY popstar does commercials at some point. The Italian ones were awful. This will be an online campaign so it won't be crammed into 22 seconds. As I was part of the process I can assure you it will be nice and naturel.

I agree, this makes it different. Really looking forward to seeing the ad and makes me excited to know he already prepares things to promote the new album (I know, not direct promotion for it but supports the album bringing him on television around the time it's out)! It's happening!!!

It's incredible that MFCers were able to be there. Great work everyone who was involved in organising that. :thumb_yello:

I am sure this will help raise the profile of the fourth album when it is released. Just hoping for something promotional in the UK now...

Yes. I noticed an ad on UKTV, with Shakira, where she advertises something (can't remember what) and there is a song of her's playing, a caption that says it's on iTunes.

I thought then that Mika should do something like that to help his singles and album.

An advertising campaign would say to UK, that he's still around.

I was gutted that the Swatch ad, where they played Underwater, wasn't shown in the UK, as it was beautiful, and would have caught the attention of the UK.

Yes. I noticed an ad on UKTV, with Shakira, where she advertises something (can't remember what) and there is a song of her's playing, a caption that says it's on iTunes.

I thought then that Mika should do something like that to help his singles and album.

An advertising campaign would say to UK, that he's still around.

I was gutted that the Swatch ad, where they played Underwater, wasn't shown in the UK, as it was beautiful, and would have caught the attention of the UK.

It's toothpaste (maybe Mika should get in on that with his teeth brushing obsession :naughty: ).

That commercial makes me laugh.

"What's behind Shakiras smile?"

To which I shout "her tongue":naughty:

It's toothpaste (maybe Mika should get in on that with his teeth brushing obsession :naughty: ).

That commercial makes me laugh.

"What's behind Shakiras smile?"

To which I shout "her tongue":naughty:

The thing is, I didn't remember what it was about, but I remembered that Shakira was in it.

Of course the adverts are not directed connected to the album, but when the last album came out, there was no advertising on TV here, to promote it.

It's the record company who are the bad guys here. They have completely let Mika down. But it's fantastic that Mika is using other avenues to promote himself and his music.

I really hope that it pays off, and like everyone else here, I'm feeling some of the old excitement returning!

The sheer fact that Mika has burst out of his bubble, that was holding him in france/italy is a bonus to me, he's remembered there's a whole world out there waiting for him :wink2: hopefully this is the first of many things to come to help with his promo :thumb_yello: Just waiting for news that it's a no for the voice :mf_rosetinted:

Thanks Deb for your explanation! Now I do understand how the selection has been made and why so many fans received a mysterious invitation. Would love to have been involved in this special project too... but I absolutely understand that there were strict instructions and that not every fan in the vicinity of Antwerp could be contacted. I just have respect for the way you (and the other ones involved) have organized this and the way the fans acted to the instructions!

Thanks to all for sharing all the lovely pics and stories :huglove:

This will be an online campaign so it won't be crammed into 22 seconds.

Ah, just online? I had missed that little fact. Thanks! :thumb_yello:

I know, I felt that way, too -- Swatch said it was playing on US television but I never saw it, and I watch plenty of TV. :dunno:

A hard task indeed, finding the MFCers living in that specific area :teehee:

I'm happy for the fans abroad having the chance to join this happening, I cannot complain after all because we have enough Mika in Italy.

So, Deb, thanks again! Even if you weren't there you made happy a lot of fans, and this pays off your efforts at least partially :huglove:

To clarify: the commercial is for a phone provider, not to promote his new album. It will just give him more exposure when the album comes out hence it will be released around the same time as the album.

The Italian ones were awful to say the least: I'm fine with him doing commercials as long as he sings his own songs (and doesn't make a fool of himself babbling nonsense words dressed up in a cheap carnival suit) or as long as his songs are used as background music.

It's not hard to do something better, I'd say it's difficult to do something worse

Ah, just online? I had missed that little fact. Thanks! :thumb_yello:

Oh, thanks for pointing this out! I didn't realize it will be just online and not television. Somehow I thought "commercial" means also television :doh:

Nice to see my pictures here :wink2:

I was one of the lucky ones too , thanks again Deb .

It was a great experience to be part of this and i never imagined it would take so much time to make a commercial.

(I've once "acted" in a Dutch movie and that didnt take as long as this haha )