keep-calm-we-re-moving-39.png

Hello fellow Mika Fan Club fans!

I know you all have grown attached to this lovely purple and black website over the years :uhno: but the time has come for us to move on.

That's right, we have been diligently working behind the scenes to update our look. At the same time we've realized it's time to leave this broken, old, outdated vBulletin software and server behind.

We've found a new host with new software that seems to meet our needs perfectly, and very soon we're hoping to migrate the site.

How soon? NOT MIKASOON, we promise! How does this coming week sound to you? :shocked: Well, that's the plan, at least.

What does that mean to you?

Well, firstly, it means that the day of the move the MFC is going to be down for several hours -- maybe as many as 8. Yes, we know, it's a long time. :sad: We're going to try to time the move to very late in the day, so that MFC will be up and running again by the morning. It's our hope that you'll barely have time to miss it.

It also means that you're going to have to learn some new things. Some things will be very similar to the way they are here. Posting, uploading photos, that sort of thing will be very easy to understand. But some things are going to be a little different, and there are some new functions and tools that are very different -- but also very useful! So expect that there will be some growing pains, but we think after you've used the new site for a little while you'll love it as much as you do this one... and possibly even more! :thumb_yello:

Ideally, everything that's here on MFC -- all the threads, photos, private messages, etc. -- will transfer over to the new site. As with any move, we may lose a few things, or break a few things, but we're hopeful that almost everything will make it over intact. :crossed:

We'll keep you updated as much as possible over the next week to let you know the status of things. And we'll try to give you at least 24-hour warning as to when the actual migration is going to take place. Keep an eye on our Twitter and Facebook accounts for updates, too.

Any questions?

Oh no! A server move :shocked:

:overreact:

Seriously, I hope it goes well (just don't forget to give us lots of notice).

:mf_rosetinted: I warn you in advance that I will moan about the new site and how I preferred the old one :badmood:

• Like 1

As former bad smoker and terrible addicted to MFC I already feel nervous to know MFC will be off for some hours :teehee:. I wish you good luck for all the work and I hope I´m not to old to learn the new functions.....

Any hints about the new colours?

Will the new layout be similar to the new layout that Mikasounds.com is going to be when it comes back?

Well, we're not sure what the new Mikasounds.com is going to look like, but no, the layout will not be the same, since MFC is basically a forum, and Mikasounds.com isn't. The layout will be similar to the layout here.

:mf_rosetinted: I warn you in advance that I will moan about the new site and how I preferred the old one :badmood:

:lol3: Thanks, silver. As they say, forewarned is forearmed. :naughty:

Spooky! There's a spammer who's entitled their post "inevitably replaced older structures"

:lmfao:

:shocked:

As former bad smoker and terrible addicted to MFC I already feel nervous to know MFC will be off for some hours :teehee:. I wish you good luck for all the work and I hope I´m not to old to learn the new functions.....

Any hints about the new colours?

The colors will be much softer -- blues, greens, a little pink. While we don't know what the new mikasounds.com is going to look like, we're told that our color scheme will match theirs, at least. :thumb_yello:

Yay! This sounds like an adventure :biker: I hope all goes well and thanks in advance to all those working hard behind the scenes on this :thumb_yello:

A few questions:

1. Will the new site have a similar chat capability? There a few of us regular chatters that use it quite often.

2. Will we keep the fun and wacky emoticons?

3. Will we need to sign up again with new passwords?

4. Will our private messages also transfer over?

5. Will this site still remain accessible but perhaps not updateable after the transfer? (as a reference site in case any info does get lost)

That's all I can think of for now, wishing you all a wonderful weekend and a stress-free move very soon.

Yay! This sounds like an adventure :biker: I hope all goes well and thanks in advance to all those working hard behind the scenes on this :thumb_yello:

A few questions:

1. Will the new site have a similar chat capability? There a few of us regular chatters that use it quite often.

2. Will we keep the fun and wacky emoticons?

3. Will we need to sign up again with new passwords?

4. Will our private messages also transfer over?

5. Will this site still remain accessible but perhaps not updateable after the transfer? (as a reference site in case any info does get lost)

That's all I can think of for now, wishing you all a wonderful weekend and a stress-free move very soon.

Thanks, Kat :original:

Let's see:

1. There will be a chat function. We hope it will be even more accessible for people, as you won't have a separate login -- just whatever login you use for the site. You'll just click a button and enter the chat. There will be an indicator in the menu bar when people are in chat, almost like a PM notification, so you'll more easily see who's chatting. I haven't used it myself yet, but it seems there is only one chatroom. People will have avatars next to their name and you can use the regular forum smilies but you can't change text colours. We'll figure it out more as we go along.

2. Yes, all of our emoticons should transfer over, plus I noticed that the new site has some additional ones.

3. No, if everything goes according to plan, you shouldn't need to sign up again. It should be a fairly seamless transition, you'll keep your username, password and post count, etc.

4. They should! As I said, in theory everything should transfer over. :pray:

5. Not exactly. We're taking all of these files, this entire database, and moving it over to a new server. So in essence the old site IS the new site. Or will be. We should have a copy of everything as backup, but there won't be an old mikafanclub.com sitting on the old server, if you know what I mean. It should be like when you move house -- you take all your belongings and put them in the new place. So everything should be there, they just may be in a different spot than you're used to or they may look a little different in their new surroundings. On the other hand, the new house should have more room and some cool new features/upgrades, which is one of the reasons you move in the first place. :thumb_yello:

And hopefully this will help put an end to all the unwanted houseguests (AKA spammers) so that we don't wake up one morning and find ourselves redirected to a Russian pharmacy selling products for erectile dysfunction again! :naughty:

The colors will be much softer -- blues, greens, a little pink. While we don't know what the new mikasounds.com is going to look like, we're told that our color scheme will match theirs, at least. :thumb_yello:

Sounds good! I'm quite excited for the move, as long as I get a warning when it will be so I can plan my day and fill it with all sorts of distracting things so I won't miss MFC too much (I'm such an internet addict, it's terrible) :naughty: