PurpleCat:

buttonslovesu:

Rain

Make You Happy

--------------------------
Set List (from Heather - hrbrox)
http://pics.lockerz.com/s/268706497

Well, my opinion...

This was an ok gig, but by very far not one of his best.

This time I went for an upstairs ticket, as I wasn't intending on queuing (those days really are over for me, I have finally realised how it's really not worth it for me), and had a fantastic view from the front despite going in just as he was starting his set.

I was pretty excited at this point when it was starting, but my excitement suddenly turned to horror when his first song was a French one! that soleil thing

What the heck was he thinking, starting up a gig in London with that? when he's not even doing all his new songs? I find that mental.

Don't get me wrong, I do actually like that song when I am in the mood to listen to it, or in a different setting, but I don't think it has any place in this sort of show in London.

Anyway I also have no recollection of setlists, never have, but I recall him doing Grace Kelly, Billy Brown, Love Today, Big Girl, Stardust (which was excellent), Underwater, Origin of Love, Make Me Happy, Blue Eyes, Lola, Popular (which was really not a very good performance IMO), Relax, Stuck In The Middle, Lollipop... and I can't remember more except for the EMD fiasco. I could not believe that he did that instead of Emily? And I also found it very random how he suddenly burst into WAG and finished with Toyboy.

That was all very random and not great, IMO. I love Toyboy, I really do, so am not complaining about him doing that song, but I would much prefer he focused on new ones, or at least give some of the really old and tired ones a bit of a break. He has some excellent material so why not show it? I don't get it.

I was also quite upset that he didn't do Kids or Heroes, or any other new ones as I guess that he missed others from the last album which I am not recalling now. What's the point in that?

On the tube back we got chatting to two lovely gay boys who had gone as a birthday treat from the one to the other, and they said they'd seen him at Hammersmith last (must have been ages ago) and how they were very upset that he hadn't done any more new songs.

Anyway, it was a good gig, but very disappointing for those reasons, and he was not at his very best by far. His voice was ok-a little strained at times, but I have heard it much worse, tbh. He seemed happy and energetic enough, but really hardly spoke for the first half of it, which I found very off. He seemed to be in a hurry to just get it over and done with and didn't seem very communicative with the audience.

Of course a casual observer would not notice that. I just felt upset that we've seen him do some pretty amazing performances, and this one was just not one of them by any stretch of the imagination.

I enjoyed it, but just in the same way that I enjoy any other gig: go there, see it, like it, and go home. I didn't feel any of the 'super excitement' of the old days when I was so into it, and it didn't feel amazing either.

For me he's just another artist now, who I like a lot, but on the same level as plenty of others, and I don't feel the need for it to be more, if you know what I mean.

It was a great show but felt brief (maybe that's just my impression though).

He rehearsed Tah Dah but never performed it unfortunately.

And I finally got to see him perform one of my favorites Toy Boy! I almost cried, it was beautiful.

Some fans thought he looked tired but I thought he looked strong and energetic. He was smiling a lot and said that he was having a great time and enjoyed the audience. However, his voice cracked a few times and it's obvious that he's still having problems with his throat.

After the show, he and Melachi greeted the fans.

I took amazing photos and videos and got to give Mika another giant bottle during Love You When I'm Drunk lol! He said "Skål!" before he performed it which means cheers in swedish :D Now I'm off to Manchester, hoping that he'll perform Overrated!

Edited by LaraMay

Maybe the setlist was chosen cause off his vocal conditions? Could be that some songs like heroes or kids are harder to sing with vocal chords problems? (But Stardust is even more difficult imo)

I'm driving blind here (I wasn't even there) :doh:

Well, my opinion...

This was an ok gig, but by very far not one of his best.

This time I went for an upstairs ticket, as I wasn't intending on queuing (those days really are over for me, I have finally realised how it's really not worth it for me), and had a fantastic view from the front despite going in just as he was starting his set.

I was pretty excited at this point when it was starting, but my excitement suddenly turned to horror when his first song was a French one! that soleil thing

What the heck was he thinking, starting up a gig in London with that? when he's not even doing all his new songs? I find that mental.

Don't get me wrong, I do actually like that song when I am in the mood to listen to it, or in a different setting, but I don't think it has any place in this sort of show in London.

Anyway I also have no recollection of setlists, never have, but I recall him doing Grace Kelly, Billy Brown, Love Today, Big Girl, Stardust (which was excellent), Underwater, Origin of Love, Make Me Happy, Blue Eyes, Lola, Popular (which was really not a very good performance IMO), Relax, Stuck In The Middle, Lollipop... and I can't remember more except for the EMD fiasco. I could not believe that he did that instead of Emily? And I also found it very random how he suddenly burst into WAG and finished with Toyboy.

That was all very random and not great, IMO. I love Toyboy, I really do, so am not complaining about him doing that song, but I would much prefer he focused on new ones, or at least give some of the really old and tired ones a bit of a break. He has some excellent material so why not show it? I don't get it.

I was also quite upset that he didn't do Kids or Heroes, or any other new ones as I guess that he missed others from the last album which I am not recalling now. What's the point in that?

On the tube back we got chatting to two lovely gay boys who had gone as a birthday treat from the one to the other, and they said they'd seen him at Hammersmith last (must have been ages ago) and how they were very upset that he hadn't done any more new songs.

Anyway, it was a good gig, but very disappointing for those reasons, and he was not at his very best by far. His voice was ok-a little strained at times, but I have heard it much worse, tbh. He seemed happy and energetic enough, but really hardly spoke for the first half of it, which I found very off. He seemed to be in a hurry to just get it over and done with and didn't seem very communicative with the audience.

Of course a casual observer would not notice that. I just felt upset that we've seen him do some pretty amazing performances, and this one was just not one of them by any stretch of the imagination.

I enjoyed it, but just in the same way that I enjoy any other gig: go there, see it, like it, and go home. I didn't feel any of the 'super excitement' of the old days when I was so into it, and it didn't feel amazing either.

For me he's just another artist now, who I like a lot, but on the same level as plenty of others, and I don't feel the need for it to be more, if you know what I mean.

Agree almost totally with you! Despite what others have put on Twitter etc., this was NOT one of his best, primarily because of his voice problems, I think. It didn't look like he was enjoying the gig that much - maybe he was feeling really rubbish - but the sparkle wasn't there, and I think part of that is because there's no cohesion within the new band.

Like you, I am also implementing my new gig policy of arriving five minutes before he goes on stage (SO much more civilised than queueing all day, darlings!) and managed to get a perfect spot at the side, where there was a great view and loads of space.

Starting with USML was quite an off-the-wall choice for a London gig, maybe it shouldn't have been first, but it's hard to see where else in the set it would have fitted. But as I love the song, I'm happy he did it :-)

As I wrote briefly at the end of the "Before The Show" thread (before this thread was open), Lola, EMD and Celebrate can be dumped, never to be heard again, IMO! And actually I would add WAG to that list too - from where I was standing, it really didn't work as the final song.

Popular I like on the album, and it could work great live too if done with a girl vocalist (come back, Imma!) but it seriously doesn't work with a choir! I'd love to hear Step With Me and Tah Dah...

I really enjoyed the gig, partly because it's been so long since I saw him, and partly because seeing him live is a pleasant experience for me after my disappointment with the album with all its electronic voice alteration, lazy remixes of substandard songs, and the shock of hearing what he did to the previously beautiful Overrated.

I just hope he gets his voice problems sorted out for the future.

Oh, and PS: Hideous shoes, Mika! :teehee:

I'd like to add to what Sara posted. I was down stairs at the side of the stage. I thought it was really strange that he sung that French song at the beginning. It soon livened up and I was dancing away but MIKA seemed very luck lustred and seemed to rush the songs- he only sang half of stuck in the middle?!?

I thought his voice was wonderful on stardust but wish he would sing the album version as to me it's more MIKA.

The choir for me didn't add anything. They were all out of sync with each other and I thought it was awful. I've seen infant school chiors do a better job. No offense if you were in it but its just my opinion.

I'm absolutely gutted he sang Elle me dit instead of Emily. This was London not Paris. 2 French songs. I'm not sure why but this made me feel quite angry. It ruined the gig for me.

MIKA really wasn't himself. He wasn't very chatty and told someone who through something on stage that it was crap. I thought that was kind of rude. I'm sure not many would notice that he wasn't on form but I have seen him loads and it just didn't feel right.

I'm also gutted that he didn't play happy ending which IMO is his best song. I've always loved singing along to it. I thought it was strange that he chose toy boy as an encore. He should have sang grace Kelly at the end.

Anyway I went to the stage door to wait for him and security came out and said that MIKA was going to be hours as he was attending his afterparty. I made the decision to leave as it was freezing and nearly 11pm. I heard that he didn't come out till after 1am. I hope everyone who waited got home back to their hotels ok as the tube shuts at 12ish.

So I know this sounds very down and I know others thought it was wonderful but it really wasn't for me. So much for his big suprise in London. I'm really gutted.

This was not one of his best shows (he is having problems with his vocal chords and had to struggle a bit, i guess it must affect also to his mood, canceling the gigs etc). Considering all this he did very well, imo. He wasn't chatty but he was funny (a bit sharp yes) and entertaining and for me it looked that the majority of the audience took him very well and enjoyed the show a lot.

I especially loved he did Make You Happy (finally!! :wub2:) and I always think the two French songs are a part of his setlist even when not in France (but knew in advance it will cause some discussion when performed in London). I shared a few pics in my blog but can't upload the vids (only a few songs) until at home.

Melachi was very calm and seemed to take meeting fans as a part of job, lol. She is so pretty! Thanks everyone I met yesterday, a very relaxed day, love Roundhouse as a venue.

Make You Happy

[YOUTUBE]-MuLnrRYLJw[/YOUTUBE]

Aww I love this song so much and he didn't sing it at any of my gigs and I suppose I will never hear it in the future. :tears: Thanks for posting and to whoever filmed it.

What would possess him to begin a show in London with Un Soleil Mal Lune? It's not even on the album that's available in the UK. :blink:

Anyway sorry it wasn't up to expectations for some. I guess Happy Ending is his most strenuous song and the first to get the chop under the circumstances. :huh:

Happy ending is the song that all his fans know and they could have sung it. He sang stardust which I imagine is difficult to sing and it sounded great. I've never heard that 1st French song and glad that it will be one time only:mf_rosetinted:

Btw he sang Elle me Dit in Italy too even if we have Emily in TOOL!

There is a political thing between English and French and it's just stupid to sing it in London. Mika has to have some awareness of this or why did he record an English version in the first place? He is endlessly pandering to French audiences and now he is starting to pander to Italians as well with Italian lyrics. But he is a British artist with an entire repertoire of English songs that he could never squeeze into one set list and he goes out of his way to alienate English audiences by singing French songs in lieu of HIT songs and new English songs in London. It's crazy. :blink:

There is a political thing between English and French and it's just stupid to sing it in London. Mika has to have some awareness of this or why did he record an English version in the first place? He is endlessly pandering to French audiences and now he is starting to pander to Italians as well with Italian lyrics. But he is a British artist with an entire repertoire of English songs that he could never squeeze into one set list and he goes out of his way to alienate English audiences by singing French songs in lieu of HIT songs and new English songs in London. It's crazy. :blink:

Totally crazy. I was really disappointed.

That reminds me the moment 14 Japanese ladies going into backstage for M&G in front of hundreds of Korean fans at the door. He should have more considerate on these kind of things....

Well, in my personal opinion although it wasn't one his best showing he did pretty well considering most of us would probably stay in bed if we were I'll. The only part of the concert that was ruined for me was one selfish person trying to start an argument with me at the beginning, for screaming, I mean come on, it's a concert. She was rely selfish swinging her arms and hair in my face, and the girl stood next to me without any care for the other people around her. but in future I will make sure I get there in plenty of time so I can stand with the mfcers who aren't there to show off or ruin other peoples experience.

Gosh. Reading these reviews, I can't help but think it would have been better if he had cancelled these gigs and rescheduled for next year (would've been able to go then myself but that's not why I'm saying this :naughty:).

Still, I guess as some of you say, to casual observers it was probably a good gig. However it is strange how he didn't do a TOOL-heavy set as one would expect. It's normal for an artist to focus on their most recent album at live gigs especially if they are trying to push it. Makes me wonder if he is p*ssed off at the poor sales of TOOL to date and couldn't give a flying fig any more :dunno:

Gosh. Reading these reviews, I can't help but think it would have been better if he had cancelled these gigs and rescheduled for next year (would've been able to go then myself but that's not why I'm saying this :naughty:).

Still, I guess as some of you say, to casual observers it was probably a good gig. However it is strange how he didn't do a TOOL-heavy set as one would expect. It's normal for an artist to focus on their most recent album at live gigs especially if they are trying to push it. Makes me wonder if he is p*ssed off at the poor sales of TOOL to date and couldn't give a flying fig any more :dunno:

Very embarrasing vibe it is... never read these kind of reviews for 3 years of my MFC life :blink: Maybe he focused on old songs because TOOL is not hit there and thought most of the audience don't know the TOOL songs... :blink:

Actually his plan was, these polka dot tour (?) should be appetizer gig before Main dish gig.. (sorry donno how to express this in English) and because of various reasons nothing followed up after this appetizer...but going back to studio so... :dunno:

I watched 3 vids on the front page and Stardust was good... as many of here agrees... but TOOL.... I felt he's just singing without feeling...not very into it but automatically singing without thinking anything..... that's not typical Mika so very weird... (I assume his lover might be there also... ? London, you know..)

Edited by Yuna