Emerald

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. French people understand Quebec people, but, in Quebec, there are some expressions that French people don't says. :wink2:

I lived this experience with a Quebecker ^^

merci!

i'm most worried about others understanding me with my horrible pronunciation :teehee:

Mmm first, i would like to learn the daily phrases that you use every day! :blush-anim-cl:

Ok ! I give some examples

To start a discussion, everybody says : "Bonjour, comment vas-tu" -> "How are you ?" This is the basical sentence :wink2:

To say that we are well or not, we says : "Je vais bien, merci." or "Non, je ne vais pas bien" -> "I'm well", "No, i'm not well"

French people are characteristic to be always angry on all and for nothing (we have a bad image about others countries :naughty: )

The sentence who most explain this characteristic is : "Quel mauvais temps !" -> "What bad weather !" We says always this :aah:

I've not others examples for the moment ^^

Edited by Emelyne412

Ok ! I give some examples

To start a discussion, everybody says : "Bonjour, comment vas-tu" -> "How are you ?" This is the basical sentence :wink2:

To say that we are well or not, we says : "Je vais bien, merci." or "Non, je ne vais pas bien" -> "I'm well", "No, i'm not well"

French people are characteristic to be always angry on all and for nothing (we have a bad image about others countries :naughty: )

The sentence who most explain this characteristic is : "Quel mauvais temps !" -> "What bad weather !" We says always this :aah:

I've not others examples for the moment ^^

Mmm interesting!!! :wub2: To ask someone if he is well in which cases can we say instead of Comment vas-tu? , Ça va? ( our teacher said that we can say this only To our friends and not to a stranger. Is that true? Do you use it to talk To strangers?) :mikasweat:

Edited by OlgaMikafreak

Mmm interesting!!! :wub2: To ask someone if he is well in which cases can we say instead of Comment vas-tu? , Ça va? ( our teacher said that we can say this only To our friends and not to a stranger. Is that true? Do you use it to talk To strangers?) :mikasweat:

Your teacher are right. For a stranger, it's better to say sentences less personal, it is necessary to make sentences before begin one conversation in the worst case :wink2:

OK!!! :naughty: Any other useful phrases?:mikadas:

Maybe for describe someone... It can be useful ^^

"Comment vous vous appelez ?" -> "What's your name ?"

"Où habitez-vous ?" -> "Where do you live ?"

"Que faites-vous dans la vie ?" -> "What is your job in your life ?"

"Quelles sont vos passions ?" "What are your hobbies/passsions ?"

This is the more current sentences :wink2:

Maybe for describe someone... It can be useful ^^

"Comment vous vous appelez ?" -> "What's your name ?"

"Où habitez-vous ?" -> "Where do you live ?"

"Que faites-vous dans la vie ?" -> "What is your job in your life ?"

"Quelles sont vos passions ?" "What are your hobbies/passsions ?"

This is the more current sentences :wink2:

OK tnx ????

I'm having trouble knowing whether to use "que" or "qu'est-ce que" when asking a question.

For example, the online french learning lessons i'm taking just asked how to say "What would you like to drink?" so i replied "Que désirez-vous boire?" which it said was correct. Then it asked me how to say "What would you like to eat?" and i said "Que désirez-vous manger?" but it said the answer is "Qu'est-ce que vous désirez manger?"

The 2 English questions are the nearly the same, so why aren't they nearly the same in french? GAAAH WHYYY? Either "que" or "qu'est-ce que" would be correct, yes? Please, please can someone explain if there's some subtle difference I'm missing that makes one more correct than the other or something?

I'm having trouble knowing whether to use "que" or "qu'est-ce que" when asking a question.

For example, the online french learning lessons i'm taking just asked how to say "What would you like to drink?" so i replied "Que désirez-vous boire?" which it said was correct. Then it asked me how to say "What would you like to eat?" and i said "Que désirez-vous manger?" but it said the answer is "Qu'est-ce que vous désirez manger?"

The 2 English questions are the nearly the same, so why aren't they nearly the same in french? GAAAH WHYYY? Either "que" or "qu'est-ce que" would be correct, yes? Please, please can someone explain if there's some subtle difference I'm missing that makes one more correct than the other or something?

"Que" and "Qu'est-ce que" say same think, but, "qu'est-ce-que" is employed more rarely. "Que" is the fastest expression :thumb_yello:

"Que désirez-vous manger?" is absolutely correct. "qu'est-ce que " is less formal than "que"

"Que" and "Qu'est-ce que" say same think, but, "qu'est-ce-que" is employed more rarely. "Que" is the fastest expression :thumb_yello:

"Que désirez-vous manger?" is absolutely correct. "qu'est-ce que " is less formal than "que"

Thanks for the information :thumb_yello:

I came here with the thought that I knew basic french...having grown up in canada and spent my child hood learning french...just to find out that I know nothing T_T lmaooo this is not good lolol.

On further exploration I find that, I am just unfamiliar with formal french LMAOO!!! I am aware that Montreal is a very bilingual city but...I dont want to seem ignorant so I want to learn a bit before I arrive >.<.

I came here with the thought that I knew basic french...having grown up in canada and spent my child hood learning french...just to find out that I know nothing T_T lmaooo this is not good lolol.

On further exploration I find that, I am just unfamiliar with formal french LMAOO!!! I am aware that Montreal is a very bilingual city but...I dont want to seem ignorant so I want to learn a bit before I arrive >.<.

:aah:

from my research Quebec French seems much less formal than Standard French, yes?

From what my childhood teachers taught me yes. Its always been Bonjour, Ja'mappelle Sandra comment ca va? yada yada yada lmaoooo. They just had to make it more difficult T_T.

:naughty:

i say that to myself at least 5 times a lesson :aah:

the thing is that french spoken in Canada is much more "friendly" (= less formal) than french spoken in France or Switzerland as far I could compare both during my few weeks spent in french speaking Canada.

also in Canada they use a lot of "old french" words which are not used anymore in Europe. Not speaking of the accent and their tons of very "local" expressions :naughty:

But anyway, if you have some notions of "basic french" just like "bonjour" etc... you won't have any problem to get what you want :wink2: AND people mostly speak both french and english over there :thumb_yello:

the thing is that french spoken in Canada is much more "friendly" (= less formal) than french spoken in France or Switzerland as far I could compare both during my few weeks spent in french speaking Canada.

also in Canada they use a lot of "old french" words which are not used anymore in Europe. Not speaking of the accent and their tons of very "local" expressions :naughty:

But anyway, if you have some notions of "basic french" just like "bonjour" etc... you won't have any problem to get what you want :wink2: AND people mostly speak both french and english over there :thumb_yello:

Merci pour l'information!

How does Mika speak French, especially at gigs? I mean, does he speak like we're his friends or is he formal?

And what about on signs & packages & stuff? i'm so worried i'll accidentally buy something terrible thinking it's something else... like a cookie with raisins in it :puke:

Merci pour l'information!

How does Mika speak French, especially at gigs? I mean, does he speak like we're his friends or is he formal?

And what about on signs & packages & stuff? i'm so worried i'll accidentally buy something terrible thinking it's something else... like a cookie with raisins in it :puke:

Most food labels are bilingual:wink2: at restaurants, you can either get an English menu or it's bilingual.

Mika's not very formal when he speaks at gigs...