Freddies English Teaching Course

Huge drama.

I talked to you yesterday

I've been looking for you since yesterday.

Am I right? The first past tense is used for something that began and ended in the past, even if it happened just some hours ago, while the second one is for something that lasted much time, and that is still running right now. Right?

Yes correct. In English the first one is called Past Simple and the second one Past perfect continuous.

That's one thing that annoys me....they teach this "Queen's English" as if every native English speaker uses it.....I know they have to have a standard version to teach people, but that doesn't mean that other varieties don't exist! They're just as valid! (My contribution....lol)

That's one thing that annoys me....they teach this "Queen's English" as if every native English speaker uses it.....I know they have to have a standard version to teach people, but that doesn't mean that other varieties don't exist! They're just as valid! (My contribution....lol)

Yeah but other varieties are mostly dialects and regional languages, which is fine for the regions but you can't expect a learner of English to know all varieties of the English language.

Sorry, I don't mean to be your worst nightmare, but things are just coming up to my mind.

To continue VS to keep ..+ing

Once a native speaker tried to explain to me the difference, I was so puzzled that I eventually pretended to having get the difference

And of course, if I'm making some mistakes while writing here, do tell me.

Sorry, I don't mean to be your worst nightmare, but things are just coming up to my mind.

To continue VS to keep ..+ing

Once a native speaker tried to explain to me the difference, I was so puzzled that I eventually pretended to having get the difference

And of course, if I'm making some mistakes while writing here, do tell me.

I think there's very little difference actually. "I keep trying" means "I continue to try." Maybe the first sounds a little less formal, so I would probably use that in conversation more often. :dunno:

Once a native speaker tried to explain the difference to me, I was so puzzled that I eventually pretended to having got the difference (or even I eventually pretended to get the difference).

Silly me! :facepalm: Of course! Thanks!!!!

I'm sorry to use you as a dictionary, but I can't sort it out.

How do you say these things in English? It's where the shelter dogs use to live: corral? fenced area? enclosure?

canile-2.jpg

and this one: carrier? crate?

trasportino.jpg

I also need to know if there's a specific word for dogs who were forced to fight and got saved and live now in families. We call them with the same word we use for the ex soldiers.

Edited by Elwendin

I konw I'm late in discovering this thread but I love it and I will use it to try to improve my poor english

Thank you:wub2:

Welcome. Sit here close to me, there's room enough for you.

Welcome. Sit here close to me, there's room enough for you.

ohhh Thanky you Sylvie...you know how I adore your english I need to stay close to you:wub2:

I'm sorry to use you as a dictionary, but I can't sort it out.

How do you say these things in English? It's where the shelter dogs use to live: corral? fenced area? enclosure?

canile-2.jpg

It's a kennel.

and this one: carrier? crate?

trasportino.jpg

These can also be called kennels but if it has a handle and you use it to transport the dog then I call it a carrier. A crate is made of wire (like the large kennels in the first pic) and used to train dogs and give them a sort of den to sleep in when they are at home.

I also need to know if there's a specific word for dogs who were forced to fight and got saved and live now in families. We call them with the same word we use for the ex soldiers.

I don't think so. I would just call them rescue dogs I guess. We call our ex-soldiers veterans.

Thank you Christine!

I'm trying to translate a lovely article that a friend of mine wrote but damn, this is difficult. Mika stuff is easier. She makes long twisted sentences. I mean, they are not twisted in italian, but they are when I try to translate them in English.

ohhh Thanky you Sylvie...you know how I adore your english I need to stay close to you:wub2:

You better not read this translation of mine then. :aah: