2013 - Mika as a guest speaker at Bocconi University, Milan 11 Dec 2013

mari62

This is an older but special event, I think it deserves its own thread:

On December, 11th Mika held a lecture about marketing at Bocconi University, Milan, Italy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocconi_University

Here I've gathered all articles, blogs, news, pics and videos posted in the other thread.

We were discussing the event HERE and HERE .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

foto.jpg

foto-1.jpg

pics from blog (in English): http://mydailystylebook.net/4672-mika-as-guest-lecturer-in-bocconi/

Bocconi students for fashion

https://facebook.com/BocconiStudentsForFashion?__user=1207013035

the lecture was secret because...
Segreta perché organizzata da e per gli studenti del Professor Andrea Rurale a causa dell'affinità dei temi trattati con i due corsi di laurea nei quali insegna.

some students are angry because it was secret and they didn't know....same old story! :lmfao:

edit: they say they will post the recording of this lecture.

Radio Bocconi told me that there will be a podcast soon so I'll wait patiently for news :wink2:

If it isn't a video, at least, we'll know exactly what he said
Edited by mari62
  • Like 2

- Blog in English:

Hmm, since his appearance at the university doesn't seem to have its own thread, I guess this can go here:

http://mydailystylebook.net/4672-mika-as-guest-lecturer-in-bocconi/

Another girl who blogged about the experience. :original:

Mika as guest lecturer in Bocconi

Being a part of Bocconi showed up to be a priviledge many times.

Last night that fact was confirmed to me. Since I am studying the Economics&management in Arts, Culture, Media and Entertainment our professor of marketing course organized for us the most interesting guest speaker possible: Mika!!!

We were all excited like small children and since they gave us the news, we were all impatient to see him. The conference hall was starting to get full of people already 45min before of the start of the lecture, and one hour later, the magnificent singer came! We all welcomed him with the ovation and great thrill to have him there. I was really excited, and also managed to take the place in the first row so I could enjoy the ‘show’ completely.

What really caught my ear is what he said at the beginning of his speech: “The last two years changed my life I became pretty much a victim of people doing your job or the job you are hoping to do. They came very close to ruining everything that I was”.

We were privileged to hear his life story in this hour and a half, listen to his advices, and also to ask questions if we really wanted to know his opinion, point of view and personal experiences.

It was also really funny to hear the way he introduced himself: “Somebody may know me as a musician, somebody may know me as a person on an Italian TV show or some of you may not know me at all. My name is Mika and that’s not actually really my name, my name is Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr and…yeah it’s sexy! And I’m 30 years old which I think is pretty sexy.”

So, yeah, he definitely didn’t disappoint us with his sense of humor that we expected to hear.

Some parts of his speech:

“This is where I met Carolina. She was a prostitute in her mid-fifties and she was there pretty much all night waiting for customers but actually she wasn’t getting many. I became fascinated by her, but mostly I was fascinated by her incredible strength. One day she disappeared and I’ve never saw her again. I wrote several songs dedicated to her, one of those was Love Today. A couple of years later I was getting a Grammy nomination for a song that was written upon a hooker. But this is not a funny thing, is a sincere thing. The truth was that Jody and I were prostituting our voices and minds to terrible companies. We hated it but it was for studio time. The difference between my life and Carolina’s was that I was at the start of my journey and Carolina was clearly at the end. Carolina for me represents my first years.

I want to dedicate this speech to the strength that Carolina had, which translated into something very positive in my life: courage, shamelessness, consumption, creativity, popular and credible. These words are not opposites they can co-exist, and If you wanna call me a prostitute, than I’m fine but then you are all pimps.

Prostitutes have always been muses for artists, from la Traviata to Roxanne. They all talk about the same thing. Freddy Mercury says we are all musical prostitutes and I completely agree, but the best prostitution quote actually comes from Winston Churchill. He was to a cocktail party and asked a lady about prostitution: “If I say I’ll give you 5milions pounds to sleep with me would you say yes?” And she says “Well, for 5milions pounds the terms could be discussed” and then he goes “If give you 5 pounds would you sleep with me?” and then she says “what kind of woman do you think I am?!” and so Winston Churchill replies “we have already established the kind of woman you are, we are just talking about the price”

And at the end, I somehow managed to sneak in the room where he went after this lecture, so that’s how yoy can see now this first picture! That’s a good sneak-in managing process ahahah !!! YAAAAY

- Article in Italian: http://www.viasarfatti25.unibocconi.it/notizia.php?idArt=13020

12/12/2013

L'importanza di essere Mika

Di fronte a una platea di studenti della Bocconi, il cantante ripercorre le tappe fondamentali della sua carriera e l'approccio con il marketing e la promozione della sua immagine

Una lezione di marketing che ha tratto forza dal racconto della sua vita e della sua carriera professionale. Per ribadire un concetto: promuovere la propria immagine di artista non solo attraverso la musica non significa prostituirsi. Questo ha voluto sottolineare Michael Holbrook Penniman, in arte Mika, cantante internazionale, giudice di X Factor in Italia e coach di The Voice in Francia, di fronte a una platea di studenti dei corsi Acme e della classe in inglese di marketing management, ieri sera durante un incontro in Bocconi. L’evento era focalizzato “sul rapporto tra celebrità e pubblico e sugli aspetti etici del marketing”, ha spiegato Andrea Rurale, il docente Bocconi che lo ha organizzato e che ha moderato il dibattito.

Agli studenti Mika ha raccontato dei propri esordi, della propria incapacità di leggere la musica a causa della dislessia, del suo approccio difficile ma ottimista al mondo della musica e alle scuole di canto londinesi. E scavando nella considerazione della sua immagine di artista, Mika racconta di Carolina, una prostituta incontrata per caso a Miami, “una donna sulla cinquantina che lavorava all’angolo di strada dal quale passavo ogni notte”. Dopo gli anni a Londra, infatti, Mika si era trasferito in Florida. Lì frequentava uno studio di registrazione per incidere i primi demo. In cambio dell’affitto dello studio, lui e l’amica con la quale lavorava alle canzoni prestavano le proprie voci per registrare musica latina. “Carolina mi affascinava per la sua grande forza d’animo”, racconta Mika. “In fondo noi e lei facevamo lo stesso mestiere: noi prostituivamo le nostre voci per avere a disposizione lo studio e per uscire dall’oscurità. La differenza era che io ero all’inizio del mio viaggio, mentre lei, chiaramente, alla fine del suo”. L’incontro con la prostituta di Miami dà forza a Mika, tanto che l’artista torna a Londra agguerrito: “Sono rientrato pronto alla battaglia con un senso di sfacciata sicurezza in me stesso. Questa energia mi ha portato a scrivere Love Today, ha dato spinta alla mia ambizione di ottenere un contratto discografico e a proporre la mia personalità così com’è”.

A distanza di qualche anno dai primi successi, Mika oggi guarda con occhio maturo al rapporto col marketing. “Per molti anni ho rinunciato a ogni associazione con qualche brand e ad ogni apparizione in tv che non fosse legata alla promozione di uno specifico single”, racconta. “Pensavo che questa strategia purista mi avrebbe preservato agli occhi del pubblico e dei media e mi avrebbe dato maggiore credibilità. Ma mi sbagliavo”. Il cantante, infatti, si rende conto che il rischio di questo approccio è di vedere comunque manipolata la propria immagine.

E sul mercato discografico, non manca di sottolineare quanto l’investimento delle major tenda ormai a focalizzarsi su poche grandi star, allargando il marketing a livello globale. “Io sono la somma di tutti i miei mercati”, spiega. “Dipendo dalle vendite e i passaggi radiofonici in giro per tutto il mondo”. E poi si sofferma sulle attività che ha sviluppato parallelamente alla musica. Il cantante ha infatti fondato una società con la sorella Yasmine, attraverso la quale si occupa di abbigliamento e accessori, marketing e design (collabora con la Swatch e con la Chambers Gallery di New York). Inoltre, racconta di come concepisca l’aver investito, nell’ultimo anno, la propria immagine anche nei format X Factor e The Voice. “Sono tutte attività che non considero un modo di prostituirsi, ma un modo per far conoscere ulteriormente la mia musica”, torna a dire Mika. E citando nuovamente Carolina, conclude: “Il coraggio che quella donna simboleggiava per me è trasceso in qualcosa di veramente positivo nella mia vita di oggi. Questo è il motivo per il quale voglio dedicare questa lezione a lei: coraggio, sfacciataggine, consumo, creatività, popolare, credibile. Tutti termini che possono e dovrebbero coesistere”.

Andrea Celauro

Translation thanks to Lucrezia

The importance of being Mika

In front of an audience of students at Bocconi University, the singer traces the important steps of his career and the approach to the marketing and promotion of his artistc image

A lesson in marketing that has drawn strength from the story of his life and his professional career. To reiterate a concept: promote the image of artist not only through the music doesn't mean prostitution. This has sought to emphasize Michael Holbrook Penniman, aka Mika, international singer, X Factor judge in Italy and coach of The Voice in France, in front of an audience of students on Acme class and on marketing management, yesterday evening during a meeting at Bocconi. The event was focused "on the relationship between celebrities and the public and on the ethical aspects of marketing," said Andrea Rural, the Bocconi University professor who has organized and moderated the debate.

Mika talked about his inception, about his inability to read music because of dyslexia, about his difficult but optimistic approach to the world of music and to singing schools in London. And digging in consideration of his image as an artist, Mika tells the story of Carolina, a prostitute met by chance in Miami, "a woman in her fifties who worked on the corner of the street from where I spent every night." After years in London, in fact, Mika had moved to Florida. There he frequented a recording studio to record the first demo. In exchange for the rent of the studio, he and the friend with whom he worked on the songs lent their voices to record Latin music. "Carolina fascinated me for her great strength of mind," says Mika. "At the end us and she were doing the same job: we prostitute our voices to have at our disposal the study and out of the darkness. The difference was that I was the beginning of my journey, while she, of course, at the end of her. "

An encounter with a prostitute in Miami gives strength to Mika, so much that the artist returns to London fierce: "I'm ready to fight back with a cheeky sense of confidence in myself. This energy has led me to write Love Today, it gave thrust to my ambition to get a record deal and to propose my personality as is it ".

A few years later the first success, Mika today looks with a mature eye the relationship with marketing. "For many years I have renounced at any association with any brand and any appearance on TV that was not linked to the promotion or of a specific single", he said, "I thought that this purist strategy would have preserved the eyes of the public and the media and it would give me more credibility. But I was wrong". The singer, in fact, realize that the risk of this approach is to see, however, manipulated the artistic image.

And on the music market, he does not fail to point out how the investment of the major tent now to focus on a few big stars, expanding their global marketing. "I am the sum of all my markets," he explains. "I depend on sales and airplay around the whole world." And then he focuses on the activities that he has developed in parallel with the music. The singer has in fact founded a company with his sister Yasmine, through which he deals with clothing and accessories, marketing and design (he collaborated with Swatch and the Chambers Gallery, New York). In addition, he tells of how he conceives to have invested, in the last year, his image even in the format X Factor and The Voice. "These are all activities that I do not consider it a way to become a prostitute, but a way of promoting my music.", told Mika. And quoting again Carolina, he said: "The courage that this woman symbolized for me is transcended into something really positive in my life today. This is the reason why I want to dedicate this lesson to her courage, boldness, consumption, creativity, popular, credible. All terms that can and should coexist. "

Edited by mari62
adding translation

One more article in Italian:

http://revolart.it/in-onore-di-una-prostituta-di-miami-mika-racconta-la-vera-storia-della-sua-vita/

In onore di una prostituta di Miami: Mika racconta la vera storia della sua vita

Giuseppe Origo December 12, 2013

Testo e estratto dalle parole di MIKA a cura di – Federica Dogliani, Giuditta Armiraglio e Marta Gorletta

Oggi è accaduto qualcosa di buono, una di quelle cose che rimarranno lì, da qualche parte tra la mente e il cuore, per sempre. Davvero.

“Gli ultimi due anni hanno cambiato la mia vita, sono diventato vittima delle persone che fanno il vostro lavoro, o almeno quello che sperate di fare da grandi. Queste persone hanno quasi rovinato tutto ciò che ero”.

Ieri, martedì 11 dicembre 2013, MIKA ha tenuto davanti ad un’aula piena di studenti della Bocconi quella che doveva essere una lezione di marketing, ma che si è poi rivelata molto di più. E qualcosa di molto meglio. Il racconto di una storia genuina e stimolante, il mondo di un artista. Ciò che più mi colpisce è guardare indietro verso quelle sfide, quelle battaglie all’inizio di una carriera, e poi pensare al presente , con tutti i traguardi e i successi negli occhi pieni di gioia dell’artista.

Mika sottolinea quanto sia importante, a volte, prendere delle decisioni in cui la nostra mente vorrebbe dire no e il nostro subconscio dice egoisticamente Sì. La pessima coordinazione tra la mente e le parole è ciò che lo ha salvato negli ultimi anni.

Il testo che segue è un estratto dalle parole che Mika ci ha regalato ieri sera, in Aula Gobbi. Purtroppo è difficile contenere solo nelle parole tutte le emozioni che si sono alternate costantemente durante il discorso, e l’abilità di Mika di catturarci, fino alla fine, ponendosi allo stesso livello della platea, ciondolando le gambe seduto al limite del palco.

Qualcuno mi conosce come cantante, qualcun altro mi conosce perché faccio parte di un talent show italiano, e qualcuno di voi non mi conosce proprio. Io sono Mika, anche se questo non è il mio vero nome: mi chiamo Michael Holbrook Penniman Junior, e questo nome è molto sexy. A Gennaio sarò a Los Angeles per iniziare il mio quarto album che è tutto quello che ho, la cosa più importante della mia vita. Ma ora sono giudice di X Factor Italia, sono coach a The Voice in Francia, e gestisco un’azienda che ho creato otto anni fa con mia sorella: sono molte cose, a stranamente non sono mai stato più eccitato all’idea di andare in uno studio e iniziare a registrare.

All’inizio della mia carriera ho fatto il contrario di quello che voi fate, o almeno dovreste fare. Avevo una mia visione di cosa significa una strategia di marketing che mi potesse proteggere dai media e dal pubblico, e pensavo che questo mi avrebbe permesso di essere libero. Ora ho capito che mi sbagliavo completamente, quell’isolamento che pensavo avrebbe tutelato la mia musica mi ha quasi ferito. Penso che per chi si occupa di marketing sia essenziale proteggere e preservare la persona che sta passando dall’essere sconosciuta all’essere commerciale.

Il mio primo album è uscito nel 2007, ma la mia carriera iniziò quando avevo 11 anni. Sono stato espulso da scuola, e per un anno ho fatto lezioni di canto con una insegnante russia che mi picchiava quando sbagliavo. Ma ha funzionato, perché ho trovato un lavoro. Ero e sono dislessico, non sono in grado di leggere la musica, ma ho sempre avuto due peculiarità: comporre e registrare molto velocemente musica inascoltabile e jingle pubblicitari terribili, molto terribili. Nello stesso giorno ho registrato una canzone giapponese con due diverse orchestre, e poi una pubblicità per una marca di latte, di chewingum, o una compagnia aerea. Però guadagnavo dei soldi, e non c’è mai nulla di male in questo se intanto ti diverti. Poi la mia voce è esplosa, purtroppo o per fortuna. Ho iniziato a scrivere canzoni e mandare demo come un maniaco, e sono rimasto prevedibilmente deluso. Ho fatto audizioni per ogni scuola di musica e sono stato rifiutato da tutte al primo provino. Pieno di delusione mi sono iscritto alla London School od Economics, sono andato al primo giorno di lezione, spendendo 495 pound per i libri, e quando erano lì davanti a me, ho avuto paura che la mia vita da cantante iniziata a 11 anni fosse già finita. Il mio sogno di vivere nella musica stava finendo, ho avuto un momento di panico. Due ore dopo ho lasciato i libri sul tavolo, sono andato via dalla London School of Economics e non ci sono mai più ritornato. Sono corso alla Royal School of Music, ho aspettato quattro ore la persona che non mi aveva preso dopo il provino. L’ho seguito fino alla sua macchina, l’ho implorato, volevo un secondo provino. Per quel secondo provino, gli spiegai, avevo lasciato la London School of Economics. Ero vestito bene perché il primo giorno di scuola ci si veste bene, ero l’unico in giacca e cravatta. Sembravo un tipo strano, egocentrico. Invece ero vestito così perché pensavo fosse normale vestirsi così per andare all’università, non avevo in programma di andare a fare un provino per una scuola di canto quella mattina. Forse proprio per il mio abbigliamento decisero di concedermi quella seconda audizione, e ottenni l’opportunità che stavo cercando. Un posto in una scuola di musica, finalmente. A questo punto dovevo trovare un mondo per rimanere lì, perché il primo anno doveva essere una prova. Il governo protegge le persone disabili, e io ero dislessico. Ottenni il rimborso della retta, e con quei soldi andai a Miami.

Incontrai una donna che voleva lavorare con me, produrre la mia musica, si chiamava Jodi. Io e Jody iniziammo venderci, componendo le peggiori canzoni che ci venivano richieste da diversi clienti, per avere in cambio la possibilità di usare gratuitamente il loro studio di registrazione. Stavamo rinchiusi a provare e registrare fino al mattino. Io non avevo la patente, quindi Jody mi passava a prendere con la macchina ad un benzinaio nella parte nord di Miami, e lì mi riportava quando finivamo negli studio. Nella periferia di Miami, alle 3 o alle 4 del mattino, da solo: non è molto carino.

Qui incontrai Carolina. Una prostituta sulla cinquantina, lì, tutte le notti, all’angolo di quel benzinaio, ad aspettare i clienti. Pochi. Ero affascinato da lei, dalla sua incredibile forza. Un giorno non la vidi più.

Le ho dedicato molte canzoni, una di quelle è stata “Love Today”. Un paio di anni dopo ho ricevuto una nomination per un Grammy award per una canzone che parlava di prostituzione. Non di Carolina. Eravamo io e Jody a prostituire le nostre voci, odiavamo farlo, ma avevamo bisogno di usare la sala di registrazione. La differenza è che la prostituzione è stata l’inizio della mia carriera, per Carolina era la fine.

Sono tornato a Londra pronto per affrontare nuove sfide, senza vergogna. Ero stanco di essere rifiutato a causa del mio look, o per il mio sound. Ho deciso di prendere il controllo della mia vita, e con mia sorella Jasmine ho creato un’immagine diversa di me. Non mi sentivo giusto per il mondo di tutti, quindi ho creato il mio modo di vivere e ho invitato le persone a condividerlo con me. E questa è l’estetica con cui lavoro oggi.

Le major si stanno espandendo in maniera esponenziale e il numero di artisti che hanno l’opportunità di avere un piano di promozione si contano sulle dita di una mano. Sono un artista all’interno di una minoranza che si trova in una industria in crisi, dipendo dai rapporti con le radio di tutto il mondo. Senza un’efficace promozione riduco il mio potenziale. Io sono la somma dei miei mercati.

L’anno scorso ho fatto un album che si chiama “The Origin of Love”. Non era per niente adatto per la radio, ma non mi interessava. La carriera di un artista non dipende solo dalla radio. Senza la radio la mia promozione internazionale definita dalla Universal si è fermata, e quindi ho avviato una mia personale promozione. Ho cercato sponsor, come un’azienda di dentifricio indonesiana.

Durante una vacanza sull’Himalaya, mentre stavo rischiando di morire congelato mi sono ripromesso di lavorare sodo per non essere mai allontanato dalla musica. Questa decisoone ha cambiato il mio 2013. Infatti quest’anno, per la prima volta nella mia vita, non sto aspettando le proposte della Universal per la mia promozione.

La forza di Carolina è entrata nella mia vita diventando coraggio, sfrontatezza, creatività, popolarità, credibilità. Questi elementi possono coesistere.

Ditemi pure che sono una prostituta, ma lo sono grazie a tutti voi.

Le prostitute sono sempre state fonte di ispirazione per la musica, dalla Trvaiata a Roxanne.

Freddy Mercury diceva che tutti siamo musical prostitute, e sono d’accordo. Ma aveva ragione Churchill: una sera, ad un party interrogò una donna riguardo alla prostituzione: “Se le dicessi che sarei pronto a pagare 5 milioni se lei dormisse con me, accetterebbe?”. E la donna: “Per 5 milioni potremmo discuterne”. “Se invece la pagassi 5 pound, dormirebbe con me?”. A questo punto la donna si arrabbiò: “Che genere di donna crede che io sia?”, ma Winston Churchill replicò “Abbiamo già stabilito che genere di donna è lei, ora parliamo del prezzo.”

Edited by mari62

Same article in English:

Thks Mile Lucrezia the speech of a University...

Currently I’m a judge at the Italian X Factor, I’m also a coach of the Voice at the same time in France and I’ve a design company which I started with my sister 8 years ago: it’s a lot of stuff, and strangely I’ve never been more exited to go in a studio and making a record. At the beginning of my career, I did the opposite of what you are supposed to do, I was very closed and I had my own vision of a purist marketing strategy, to preserve me from the eyes of the media and of the public, I thought that this was going to give me some kind of freedom. Now I’ve realized I was completely wrong, this isolation that I thought was protecting my music, actually came close to hurt me. I became far more reliant to the manipulations of my record company. I think is very important for a marketer to protect and preserve a person that is going through a transition from becoming unknown to commercial. My first album was realised in 2007, but my singing career stated at 11 years old. I’ve been expelled through school and after a year doing nothing but training with a Russian singing teacher, who was hitting me when I wasn’t doing things properly, I got a job.

I was and I’m still a very very dyslexic dropout, who is unable to read music. As a boy performer I had two specialties, I used to perform and record unlistenable contemporary music and on the other I was a specialist in very quickly recording the worse advertising jingles you have ever heard, and they were **** trust me! In the same day I was getting out from school and then I was recording Japanese song with two different orchestras, and then a jingle for a milk ad or for British Airways or Orbit Chewing gum. The fact that I couldn’t read music at the end means that I am focused in doing both things in the same way; they were just two jobs. I was making some money, and you there is nothing dirty in making some money, while you are having fun, only people with way too much money tell you it’s dirty to make money.

Eventually my voice broke, **** happens, thank god it happens! In a couple of weeks my job was gone, so I decided to fix the problem by writing songs and sending out demos like a maniac. Not surprisingly I was completely turned down, so then I said “I’ll be an Opera singer” then I was doing auditions for every music college and I was rejected by every single one at pretty much the first audition, so very upset at the end I got a place at the London School of Economics and I went on my first day I had my first lecture and I spent 495 Pounds for my text books, they were all in front of me and I knew it was the end of this life I had since the age of 11, my dream of staying in the music was ending, I had a moment of panic and after two hours I left the books on the table and I left the LSE and I’ve never returned again. I run at Royal School of Music where I stood outside for four hours and I’ve waited the head of the vocal studies that had turned me down. I followed him at his car and then I begged him, almost crying for a second audition. I needed it! I told him I had left the LSE, I was all dressed up because I thought people where dressing well their first day of college, but actually no one was dressed up: I was the only one with a suit and a tie, thinking this was normal people do when they go to university but they only thought I was a freak. He finally gave me another audition probably because I was so weird and at the end they gave me a one-year trial. That’s when I started having a music role, as soon as I got my one-year trial. I found any possible way to not go away, so I started doing my research and I found out that government was protecting people with disabilities. Dyslexia is not something you can make up and you can prove that is true, so I got my report I took it to the head of the royal college and said “Here you cannot expel me, because I gave you an explanation”. They didn’t kicked me out but I failed all my theoretical exams, and with this bursary I got I actually didn’t payed my fees for a year and a half and I’ve used them to get myself to Miami.

Over there there was a woman that was willing to work with me making my music and she was named Jody. In Miami Jody and I were bagging and borrowing studio houses and in exchange we where landing our voices. Jody was translating lyrics. At the end Jody and I were prostituting ourselves for studio time. Money wasn’t really existing so we where going in the studio from 8 pm to 3 in the morning. I wasn’t able to drive so we made a deal with Jody who was picking me up, and dropping me off at a gas station in North Miami on the corner of the street that it’s not very pretty at 3 am.

This is where I met Carolina. She was a prostitute in her mid-fifties and she was there pretty much all night waiting for customers but actually she wasn’t getting many. I became fascinated by her, but mostly I was fascinated by her incredible strength. One day she disappeared and I’ve never saw her again. I wrote several songs dedicated to her, one of those was Love Today. A couple of years later I was getting a Grammy nomination for a song that was written upon a hooker. But this is not a funny thing, is a sincere thing. The truth was that Jody and I were prostituting our voices and minds to terrible companies. We hated it but it was for studio time. The difference between my life and Carolina’s was that I was at the start of my journey and Carolina was clearly at the end. Carolina for me represents my first years.

I came back to London prepared for battle with new demos and a sense of confidence, shamelessness. I was sick of being rejected for not having the right look or too different sound, I’ve decided do take control and with my sister Jasmine I’ve created a distinctive visual world. My thought was simple: if the problem was that I wasn’t fitting into people current world, I’ll just create my own and invite them into it, and this is still the aesthetic I work with today.

What is happening now is that majors are expanding exponentially and the number of artists that could have the opportunity to have a prior marketing roll-out are an handful. I’m now an artist in a minority within an industry in crisis. I depend on radio plays and sells all over the world: I’m a sum of all my markets. And without a serious international roll-out I’m seriously jeopardize my potential.

Last years I did a joyful album called The Origin of Love that wasn’t really good for radios but I didn’t care, as I know that careers are not made by chasing radios 100% of the time. Without radio my international promotion schedule from Universal started fading out and disappear. I quickly started my own promotion, I searched sponsors from a toothpaste in Indonesia to radio logos on my tickets in Europe.

I decided the best thing I could do was climbing Himalaya at -20°C. During one sleepless night, in the freezing cold, I made a decision that actually changed my 2013: I promised myself not to be pushed aside and working very hard because I was proud of the music I made.

This is my first year where I’m not waiting for Universal to tell me that I can go on and promote my record.

I want to dedicate this speech to the strength that Carolina had, which translated into something very positive in my life: courage, shamelessness, consumption, creativity, popular and credible. These words are not opposites they can co-exist, and If you wanna call me a prostitute, than I’m fine but then you are all pimps.

Prostitutes have always been muses for artists, from la Traviata to Roxanne. They all talk about the same thing. Freddy Mercury says we are all musical prostitutes and I completely agree, but the best prostitution quote actually comes from Winston Churchill. He was to a cocktail party and asked a lady about prostitution: “If I say I’ll give you 5milions pounds to sleep with me would you say yes?” And she says “Well, for 5milions pounds the terms could be discussed” and then he goes “If give you 5 pounds would you sleep with me?” and then she says “what kind of woman do you think I am?!” and so Winston Churchill replies “we have already established the kind of woman you are, we are just talking about the price”

appreciate that he is now admitting clearly that he is prostituting himself but do not call me your pimp. I am not the one who asked him to go on a TV show and stand around for hours signing autographs on a weekly basis to sell product. If Mika wants to make an album in his basement I will buy it. What I am not buying now are these songs that are artistic compromises - duets with Ariana Grande and Chiara that are inferior to the originals. Songs written by Doriand that are inferior to Mika's songs, etc. I don't want any of that. Obviously it doesn't matter what I want. But don't call me your pimp to justify your acts of prostitution.

are nävïe. you are hooker. Looking back at the struggles:mikasweat:AREVOLART pERIODICO THE DIFUSION CULTURAL.wHY IS IT? ONLY IS REFERED TO THE tITLE..

[url=http://revolart.it/in-honour-of-a-miami-prostitute-this-is-not-a-story-about-a-hooker-this-is-a-story-about-mika-and-life/]In honour of a Miami Prostitute: this is not a story about a hooker, this is a story about Mika and life

iF THIS IS REAL for me very interesting article , opposite the point view Gay...

for me the best this parthWhat is happening now is that majors are expanding exponentially and the number of artists that could have the opportunity to have a prior marketing roll-out are an handful. I’m now an artist in a minority within an industry in crisis. I depend on radio plays and sells all over the world: I’m a sum of all my markets. And without a serious international roll-out I’m seriously jeopardize my potential.

Last years I did a joyful album called The Origin of Love that wasn’t really good for radios but I didn’t care, as I know that careers are not made by chasing radios 100% of the time. Without radio my international promotion schedule from Universal started fading out and disappear. I quickly started my own promotion, I searched sponsors from a toothpaste in Indonesia to radio logos on my tickets in Europe

Edited by mari62

More pics:

Mika all'Università Bocconi di Milano? :blink:

another pic of the conference:

1479418_572072442861800_1112150283_n.jpg

Il Team di BS4F alla conferenza "segreta" con l'artista Mika in Bocconi Adesso! ‪#‎Mika‬ ‪#‎bocconi‬ ‪#‎BS4F‬

1475806_572077706194607_1694660896_n.jpg

Completo grigio, Laboutin con punta borchiata, t-shirt blu e fiore all'occhiello - Lo stile di Mika nella private chat con gli studenti della Bocconi è minimal quanto efficacie sulla sua silhouette longilinea

Stefano Baldani @StefanoBaldani

Special lesson @ Bocconi with @mikasounds such an oustanding person + artist! pic.twitter.com/zF9KGvXvqd

BbOk5nGIQAEmUnv.jpg:large

BbOgUzOIUAAlvRs_zpsbb4f8107.jpg
1471940_10202592248597887_1344974476_n.jpg

Thank you Karin for this article! :huglove:

I'll make a translation of it tonight :wink2:

In the maintime....

GBIG_bocc_(1-20131212164826.jpg

GBIG_bocc_(6-20131212163331.jpg

GBIG_bocc_(5-20131212163242.jpg

GBIG_bocc_(3-20131212163117.jpg

GBIG_bocc_(2-20131212163050.jpg

GBIG_2013-12-11_2120131212162738.jpg

Edited by mari62
adding pics

VIDEO:

Mika made the conference at the university in english. Here's a short vid :teehee:

same video, different link:

I meant comparing with someone like Justin Bieber,or Kanye West,or Rihanna,he's not even close.....and he didn't buy the house from Milan,it's rented.

Short vid from the Bocconi University,thanks DoReMi: http://distilleryvesper2-18.ak.instagram.com/a87d3a6062fc11e3a93712ad17a4fb22_101.mp4

• Like 1

Thanks for putting everything together Marina, job well done:thumb_yello:

I had read his speach before, but I can't help feeling that we came very close to loosing him as the wonderful singer/performer/artist that we loved towards the end of 2012.

That would have been such a shame:shocked:

• Like 1

Thanks for putting everything together Marina, job well done:thumb_yello:

I had read his speach before, but I can't help feeling that we came very close to loosing him as the wonderful singer/performer/artist that we loved towards the end of 2012.

That would have been such a shame:shocked:

that´s what I felt exactly at the end of 2012 and I was so much in fear at that time.

that´s what I felt exactly at the end of 2012 and I was so much in fear at that time.

I remember that some discussions were going on at that period. It's scary to think that there was some truth in our fears...

This is why I wish to God that Mika could be big in the UK again. He worked so hard for his music career, I just hate to see it go downhill in the place where he started out.

That said; I have to admire him for not taking it lying down, when the record company deserted him, but taking control of his own promotion instead.

I know that's why he has his side projects, and that's all good, but my concern is that there is nothing in the UK. I don't understand why he doesn't get a song of his on an advert. That Swatch ad, with Underwater would have been ideal.

Mika does need to promote the new album in the English speaking counties, if he wants a worldwide hit. If he doesn't promote it, it won't sell and his work will be wasted.

It was scary indeed. I'm so grateful we have the album and those Montreal shows (and hopefully many, many other shows as well) to look forward to :wub2:

Great idea Marina to create a thread about this. It definitely deserves its own thread, that way even more people will hopefully discover this very inspiring speech!

Reading all this makes me admire Mika even more and can't help but say once again that he is so incredibly brave!! And without a doubt he deserves all the support and success in the world!!

Funny because it seems to me that's exactly what happened. If he hadn't had these options to whore himself out for big bucks he would have had to do what other musicians who are not mega successful do to earn a living - make music and tour. Something he has done precious little of since TOOL wound down.

Funny because it seems to me that's exactly what happened. If he hadn't had these options to whore himself out for big bucks he would have had to do what other musicians who are not mega successful do to earn a living - make music and tour. Something he has done precious little of since TOOL wound down.

But Mika is not one of those musicians. He does not want "to earn a living making music and tour". He wants different things, it is evident.

The point is making music and tour and...??? :teehee: in the way that Mika wants. He's searching for new roads and opportunities to continue to work in the way he wants. :blush-anim-cl:

But Mika is not one of those musicians. He does not want "to earn a living making music and tour". He wants different things, it is evident.

The point is making music and tour and...??? :teehee: in the way that Mika wants. He's searching for new roads and opportunities to continue to work in the way he wants. :blush-anim-cl:

I have no idea what Mika wants (and I daresay neither do you). I was simply pointing out that if there was some fear that we would lose Mika as a musician and a performer - it's exactly what happened. Him doing TV shows to make money and indulging himself in side art projects because he enjoys it is not making music and performing.

If Mika didn't have these opportunities he would have had no choice but to get back on the horse and try again. He just would have had to sit on a tour bus instead of flying first class. He would have had to stay at a four star hotel instead of throwing parties for celebrities at the Carlyle.

What else would he have done? Gone back to economics school? His choices have nothing to do with trying to continue to make music and perform. Thousands of people do that every day without nearly as much financial and other support that Mika has.

Mika can do whatever he wants with his life but I'm tired of hearing that it's about the music. It's not. That's why he even he himself calls it prostitution.

The point is: making tours (and music) is expensive... someway he had to make money when the record company didn't support him enough, to make his new album, and later a tour (later...and I don't know what later mean this time) :mf_rosetinted:

I don't appreciate everything he does, I just hope that when he will release new music, it will be exciting enough to make me forget about the waiting. (just my 2 cents) :wink2:

I have no idea what Mika wants (and I daresay neither do you). I was simply pointing out that if there was some fear that we would lose Mika as a musician and a performer - it's exactly what happened. Him doing TV shows to make money and indulging himself in side art projects because he enjoys it is not making music and performing.

He prefers doing television than (maybe??) doing shows in small venues, that's a fact... ... television gaves him more money than small gigs, of course.

And of course we don't know the reason why he prefers doing that, if it's just because he loves having a glamourous life in Paris and Milan, or because it's really just for the music :dunno:

He could have done Intimate Evenings in Europe, I think he could have filled 500-1000 people theatres in Uk with no problems (and personally, I prefer him making music, even if it's not in my country and I can't go to see him, than he being a tv star in my country, but that's just me) :doh:

Edited by maggie112

The problem with working on too many side projects is that splitting your energies prevents you from focusing completely on your main activity, thus the result can't be outstanding.

IMO a mediocre artist devoting himself 100% to music can achieve better results than an excellent one dispersing his energies elsewhere/in different areas.

The point is: making tours (and music) is expensive... someway he had to make money when the record company didn't support him enough, to make his new album, and later a tour (later...and I don't know what later mean this time) :mf_rosetinted:

I don't appreciate everything he does, I just hope that when he will release new music, it will be exciting enough to make me forget about the waiting. (just my 2 cents) :wink2:

He prefers doing television than (maybe??) doing shows in small venues, that's a fact... ... television gaves him more money than small gigs, of course.

And of course we don't know the reason why he prefers doing that, if it's just because he loves having a glamourous life in Paris and Milan, or because it's really just for the music :dunno:

He could have done Intimate Evenings in Europe, I think he could have filled 500-1000 people theatres in Uk with no problems (and personally, I prefer him making music, even if it's not in my country and I can't go to see him, than he being a tv star in my country, but that's just me) :doh:

The problem with working on too many side projects is that splitting your energies prevents you from focusing completely on your main activity, thus the result can't be outstanding.

IMO a mediocre artist devoting himself 100% to music can achieve better results than an excellent one dispersing his energies elsewhere/in different areas.

This is turning into a new "Mika career choices" thread... :blink:

Anyway, I agree with both of you but my personal feeling is that many fans not only dislike his side projects, but also keep questioning the quality of these let's say fundraising activities.

I value the fact that he decided to describe his situation by explicit and fair words, but he's still wasting his talent.

I won't add more because I think that my opinion is pretty clear, I hope that we'll get new music, good music within a not too long timeframe

He did the Roundhouse in London in 2012 which is over 3000 people. I don't understand why that is considered some kind of failure to perform in front of thousands of people in London but half that many screaming outside a watch store in Milan is considered a phenomenal success. It is totally absurd to me. It is all about being a big fish in a small pond instead of the reverse.

Amen. This is such common sense and it applies to any ambition when you are talking about the top people in the world. No one would expect an Olympic athlete to win anything if they just trained a couple of weeks a year. I don't understand why anyone thinks the realities of life do not apply to Mika and all he has to do is be cute and clever and trilingual to be a better artist than his peers, to deserve more success than his peers.

I saw Josh Groban recently along with Rufus Wainwright, Boy George and a bunch of other singers performing Broadway duets together. They were all great, especially Rufus Wainwright. But when Josh Groban came on he just blew everyone else out of the water. He does 200 concerts a year and he is at the top of his game. He is at the top period if you are talking about vocalists doing relatively popular music. That's what it takes. Even Justin Bieber has figured that out.

Edited by Christine

This is turning into a new "Mika career choices" thread... :blink:

Anyway, I agree with both of you but my personal feeling is that many fans not only dislike his side projects, but also keep questioning the quality of these let's say fundraising activities.

I value the fact that he decided to describe his situation by explicit and fair words, but he's still wasting his talent.

I won't add more because I think that my opinion is pretty clear, I hope that we'll get new music, good music within a not too long timeframe

I don't dislike his side projects per se, he's pretty good at everything he does, but the point is that they distract him from music and I'm not sure, that they really help him achieve his true dreams eventually.

The problem with his 'fundraising activities' is that they go against his principles, which he preached for years and which he was so proud about; that's the reason why his choices may appear a bit weird especially to fans, who have been following him from the very beginning. I know: people are entitled to change, that's life, but still.

Edited by mari62
grammar
  • Like 1

The point is: making tours (and music) is expensive...

It is if you want it to.

When he made Lola they couldn't afford a bass player, so they tried to play bass guitar, then dropped it because they sucked and used a sound synthetizer or something. And he was pretty happy with the result.

And look on youtube for how Stromae makes his songs. A tiny laptop is all he needs.

The problem with his 'fundraising activities' is that they go against his principles, which he preached for years and which he was so proud about

I wasn't here in 2007 (shame on my lazy self shame on my lazy self) but I understand what Marina means. If you watch some of his old videos, it's pretty clear.

Well said. Why should Mika do tiny shows again? He doesn't deserve it. He did all that when he started out, but now he has to, basically, start again, but there are opportunities open to him, in order to earn some money, and keep his career going.

It's not just about the music now, it's about many things that make up Mika's world. Things are coming together.

Without the money his projects have brought him, and the sponsorship he now has, we wouldn't have had the wonderful BBB video. I think he'll also use his own money and sponsorship, to promote the album. He certainly won't get anything from the record company to do it.

If he wants a good lifestyle. If he wants to stay in five star hotels, then good luck to him. He works hard, he's earned the right to enjoy the fruits of his success.

All I wish is for something in the UK. That's all I would ask him for. But I ask for that, because I am so sad that he's not popular here anymore, after the hard work he did to get to the top in UK. I wish he was back on top again.