Mika's career choices discussion

crazyaboutmika

I'm sorry, but I had to open this thread ...

If the Mika choice of strategies could move here , I'd be a very very happy person :blush-anim-cl:

Thank you very much to all :group_hug:

Sorry I wasn't very clear about this...what I mean if it would be great if the discussion about Mika's carreer choices were discussed here instead of in the French press scans translations audios and videos where they don't belong ....in my humble opinion :wink2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

The thread is a good idea.

MFCers have been debating that subject for months now, just like we've debating everything under the sun when it comes to Mika.

This is a very touchy subject for many people.

If you have an opinion, please post.

But don't post only to aggravate other members and the situation.

I'm sorry, but I had to open this thread ...

If the Mika choice of strategies could move here , I'd be a very very happy person :blush-anim-cl:

Thank you very much to all :group_hug:

Sorry I wasn't very clear about this...what I mean if it would be great if the discussion about Mika's carreer choices were discussed here instead of in the French press scans translations audios and videos where they don't belong ....in my humble opinion :wink2:

I will give this thread the name it deserves.

"the never ending story" isn't very clear. Let's call a spade a spade

"Celebrity" and "musician" are not antithetical concepts. A celebrity is a person widely recognized by society for some reason. Mika is a person recognized first of all because he is a musician who likes to many people in the world. After this, it comes other stuff. But music never stop of being the centre point. In television he plays the role of a musician, coaching and judging other musicians...everything he does, is related with music in someway. It seems to me all connected. :thumb_yello:

"Celebrity" and "musician" are not antithetical concepts. A celebrity is a person widely recognized by society for some reason. Mika is a person recognized first of all because he is a musician who likes to many people in the world. After this, it comes other stuff. But music never stop of being the centre point. In television he plays the role of a musician, coaching and judging other musicians...everything he does, is related with music in someway. It seems to me all connected. :thumb_yello:

The minute Mika accepted these offers on trash reality tv shows he became a celebrity, he his no longer known as a musican.across the world everyone has forgotten about him.in one interview when asked if he will be doing xfactor again, he said he was a musican and had an album to write, but low and behold even he put being a musican as second rate, and accepted again.These shows are nothing to do with music and never have been, they are about celebrity judges and the money they are paid and how much they can boost the tv ratings.in television he plays the role of celebrity nothing else.and while ever he his doing these shows that is what he will be.

All I want is Mika to return to what in his own words was , I was born to be on stage, IF or WHEN that happens I will give all my support to him, I wont be bullied by others fans saying we should support him in everything he does, wether we like it or not.Mika knows his fans of long standing and he knows how we feel on the subject, he wont be hurt by these comments, he values opinions, he's a grown man, not a child,though some fans seem to want to mother him,he can take the criticism, and he knows we will be there IF he returns.

Until that time i'll wait on the sidelines, nothing more to be said.

The reason this keeps coming up in other threads is because:

a) Mika's choices ARE the topic. When the title of the thread is "Mika to be a judge on the next season of X TV show" then people's opinions about Mika being on judge on that show are NOT off topic.

b) Mika keeps discussing his choices in interviews and people are constantly offering so-called "positive" comments on the subject. If others choose to offer a so-called "negative" reply that doesn't make the discussion suddenly off topic. It doesn't matter how much you don't like what you hear or how repetitive you find it, the principle is the same.

A conversation going off topic doesn't warrant flipping out on people in a thread. There is a conversation about dogs and monkeys in the Voice thread and I don't see anyone having a meltdown in there.

As Buttons said these attempts at bullying people or trying to censor them into not speaking their minds are not going to work. You can bury this thread in the members-only section but guess what? People will still think things that don't necessarily agree with what you think or what Mika does.

Yeah, I don't understand why this is in the members only section? I feel like this is not about X-factor or Mika's choices, but about who is a better and more loyal fan supporting whatever Mika does, despite preferring him to do something else as I suppose we all want music...

I moved it to the "members only" section.

i woke up at night to find this thread started.

for some reason, i was sure it was under "mika media"

(now i see it was started under "chat about Mika")

i blame my sleepy head.

i'll moving it back to "chat about Mika"

My opinion? I am waiting to see how things develop. I try not to make snap decisions on much of anything if I can help it, especially the lives of famous people. So my opinion is, I have no opinion.

I moved it to the "members only" section.

i woke up at night to find this thread started.

for some reason, i was sure it was under "mika media"

(now i see it was started under "chat about Mika")

i blame my sleepy head.

i'll moving it back to "chat about Mika"

I am afraid we will have to start a thread about this and discuss your faults.:mf_rosetinted:

My opinion? I am waiting to see how things develop. I try not to make snap decisions on much of anything if I can help it, especially the lives of famous people. So my opinion is, I have no opinion.

I think that waiting to see what develops is fine -- the trouble is, a lot of us have been waiting for several years now. Just wondering how much longer we're supposed to wait. I ain't gettin' any younger, you know. :naughty:

The thread is a good idea.

MFCers have been debating that subject for months now, just like we've debating everything under the sun when it comes to Mika.

This is a very touchy subject for many people.

If you have an opinion, please post.

But don't post only to aggravate other members and the situation.

I will give this thread the name it deserves.

"the never ending story" isn't very clear. Let's call a spade a spade

Thanks Guy :huglove:

The reason this keeps coming up in other threads is because:

a) Mika's choices ARE the topic. When the title of the thread is "Mika to be a judge on the next season of X TV show" then people's opinions about Mika being on judge on that show are NOT off topic.

b) Mika keeps discussing his choices in interviews and people are constantly offering so-called "positive" comments on the subject. If others choose to offer a so-called "negative" reply that doesn't make the discussion suddenly off topic. It doesn't matter how much you don't like what you hear or how repetitive you find it, the principle is the same.

A conversation going off topic doesn't warrant flipping out on people in a thread. There is a conversation about dogs and monkeys in the Voice thread and I don't see anyone having a meltdown in there.

As Buttons said these attempts at bullying people or trying to censor them into not speaking their minds are not going to work. You can bury this thread in the members-only section but guess what? People will still think things that don't necessarily agree with what you think or what Mika does.

The thing is scans, audios, videos and translations were getting impossible to find within the discussions...

I am afraid we will have to start a thread about this and discuss your faults.:mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao:

I think that waiting to see what develops is fine -- the trouble is, a lot of us have been waiting for several years now. Just wondering how much longer we're supposed to wait. I ain't gettin' any younger, you know. :naughty:

Me neither :aah::wink2:

The thing is scans, audios, videos and translations were getting impossible to find within the discussions...

If you want nothing in the thread except the scans, videos and translations that is fair enough. But then there should be no commentary of any kind on the contents of the articles and interviews within the thread. I do not support selective censorship. All of it is equally on/off topic and this isn't some special case just because some people can't handle what others have to say on the subject.

*crawls out of hidey-hole and tries to form coherent thoughts*

i just wanted to respond to various people who says it's not "about the music" and the like. i guess i'm not sure why people say this. Yes, it's not just about his music anymore, but it is about music. It is music shows he's on, they play snippets of his music on the shows and in adverts, he's performed on the shows. It's not like he's a judge on So You Think You Can Ice Skate or idk... Britain's Best Baker or smth. By being a judge on X Factor & The Voice it's opened up opportunities like the Nutella gig, most likely the Montreal Orchestra gigs and the Rose Ball, and who know's what's next. Because of those factors he is both a celebrity and a musician (in my eyes at least). they aren't mutually exclusive, are they?

People mention the new album but if he wasn't doing these shows, would he be so motivated to work on it as much as he has? Not if last album was anything to go by :teehee: But i guess we'll know for sure when the new album is released.

what the heck am am i trying to say? um.... i guess what i'm getting at is: tho i'm by no means stoked he's judging these reality shows, i don't think it's as horrible as all that. i'm just grateful cuz it could be much, much worse.

BTW this ramble isn't directed at anyone in particular; i've been thinking these things for quite some weeks. also i apologize if anyone else has pointed this stuff out before.

oh, and i think it's handy to have the discussion here, it was so scattered before. i don't go in the Voice or X Factor threads often and it makes it harder to find things in the other threads :thumb_yello:

omg this post is a mess. i said way more than i'd planned. kthnxbai *retreats to hidey hole*

Ok, this will be my only statement on this; cause it is senseless.

I have tried to see it from different perspectives, not really possible cause we all are walking in different shoes and we are ALL not walking in Mikas. Hate me for this, but being fan from beginning or have been on the most gigs means not to have the most wise) I also have not) and all others are silly. We will see what will come or not. I still believe in Mika as artist, yes, and I also prefer him on stage, but in my eyes it is very childish to say if you do that I will not...

I have tried to see it from different perspectives, not really possible cause we all are walking in different shoes and we are ALL not walking in Mikas. Hate me for this, but being fan from beginning or have been on the most gigs means not to have the most wise) I also have not) and all others are silly. We will see what will come or not. I still believe in Mika as artist, yes, and I also prefer him on stage, but in my eyes it is very childish to say if you do that I will not...

I, for one, am not saying others are being silly. My problem is I don't get why people love these shows, as I don't think they have anything to really do with talent, as most of the good talent doesn't get through to the tv stages. If anything I feel people are saying I am being unsupportive, because I won't fall at his feet for being a judge on these shows. It's got nothing to do with how long I've been a fan. I could have joined last week, last month or last year, and my feelings about it would be the same.

BUT, like I have said over and over, I DO support him, in everything else he does. I don't think because I don't like these shows that it means I am unsupportive.

It's not just Mika that I don't get doing these shows. People that I have named before, Gary Barlow, Kylie, Ricky Wilson, who do the UK versions of these shows, all artists I admire, but I don't watch the shows just because they are on them, but I love the work they do away from them. It doesn't mean I don't support THEM, it just means I don't like the shows they appear on.

I don't know how much clearer I can make myself.

We will see what will come or not. I still believe in Mika as artist, yes, and I also prefer him on stage, but in my eyes it is very childish to say if you do that I will not...

I think it is incredibly childish to start screaming at other members and telling them to get out of a thread. Since nothing we say here has any impact whatsoever on Mika but has plenty of impact on each other, I think we should all be more concerned with how fans are treating each other than whether they support Mika's career choices or not.

i just wanted to respond to various people who says it's not "about the music" and the like. i guess i'm not sure why people say this. Yes, it's not just about his music anymore, but it is about music.

Isn't the fact that it's not HIS music enough? An artist is supposed to create and perform. Not tell amateurs what to do in order to win a contest on television.

In any case have you been watching The Voice? Because it has quickly become France's Got Cute Boys™ instead of a quest to find the best singer. It may as well be So You Think You Can Ice Dance because the outcome is the same. The most popular people win, regardless of talent.

Ah, but there is an assumption I haven't been waiting as well. Just because I haven't been here doesn't mean that I haven't waited for several years. I just wasn't waiting here. :wink2:

I haven't been to any shows, haven't been breathing down his neck the last seven years, reading every word I could find on him. I've had too much in my own private life to deal with, to be honest. I came here because he has been instrumental (pun not intended!) in helping keep my sanity in the last few months, and I wanted to celebrate this with people who would actually get it. Also because I *am* a fan, and what's a fan club for, if not fans, right?

As a former fan club president, I don't consider myself a bigger or lesser fan of anyone than anyone else. I just took on a role not everyone could, and enjoyed it. I never once heard from the honoree in any fashion, and it didn't bother me. I know he knows of my work, though; my VP has had him autograph several issues of my newsletter when she met him. He looked them over and was pleased. I just don't take celebrity too seriously after all of that. I can't.

Edited by Kezza

Please tell me where any one of us has said that we know better because we've been there since the beginning or because we have been to most gigs. You are pulling arguments from everywhere which are completely irrelevant. I think your post in the other thread is far more childish than this whole discussion as at least this discussion is going on in a civilised matter and you can't just tell people to go away because you do not agree.

Ah, but there is an assumption I haven't been waiting as well. Just because I haven't been here doesn't mean that I haven't waited for several years. I just wasn't waiting here. :wink2:

I don't think that is what Deb implied ;).

As for not getting any younger, I don't know what's up with that.

I'm 50 this year, which I was told by a member is the new 30. And I feel sometimes like I'm 19.

There must be something in the water... :naughty: