Mika Wins Big At World Music Awards

lollipop_monkey

So while we were preoccupied with mourning his losses at the EMAs, Mika was busy in Monaco scooping up a bunch of World Music Awards trophies: :shocked:

The awards will be broadcast:

In the US: On November 22 and 8pm on MYNETWORKTV

In the UK: On November 18 on Channel 4

In France: On November 24 on W9

Tons more pictures here! -> -> http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?query=z.i.H4sIAAAAAAAEAO29B2AcSZYlJi9tynt_SvVK1-B0oQiAYBMk2JBAEOzBiM3mkuwdaUcjKasqgcplVmVdZhZAzO2dvPfee--999577733ujudTif33_8_XGZkAWz2zkrayZ4hgKrIHz9-fB8_In7dfLn91etf49f4NX6PX_dskV3kvyb9muD_i-Jtll5VdTn7Nf9ven6Njc-vaX4mdVW1L7M6WzTms18L_9_d-TH68eu9e33dnL4zb_ya-jda4EGTX_vBzp73-z2GkJ1ri1_j19Tf8cqvnZ1PTSf2D_z_18bPHe530bo33e-_DjUu7Rf2L7z369If9cKOJ_zz18dHu_jr1-PPJxZG529-7TyEYv9kKDsWynkHivubX6tDKPZPhrJnodQdKO5vokxuYeCPX1v_YDLt4rff0LT9jc3nRJN8ZT79NYO_fq3cdeX9_mvljfex_f3Xblb2zV8TfxhUfiv74uXUveh-_3Wq2uMU-xd_Ncn9r_CXGROzzcOdHe_3Xe93Zq1fe3a1NKB-TfPHr4P_N-uJG0Tw16-dZw5L_w_6feV_Yf_4dZsAWvjnr_3u2XM3J94fvy39_9cvltNyPcu5YVZ7uHp_fFPP_wOfTP-UAAQAAA..#

------------------------

Celine Dion, Patti LaBelle honoured at World Music Awards in Monaco

Nov. 4, 2007 - MONTE CARLO, Monaco - Canadian singer Celine Dion and R&B queen Patti LaBelle were honoured at the World Music Awards for their outstanding careers, while British newcomer Mika took home a clutch of prizes.

Dion, who has sold 200 million albums worldwide, received the highest accolade - the Legend Award - at the star-studded ceremony in Monaco on Sunday. In presenting the honour, the tiny principality's Prince Albert said Dion's voice "soothes the world's hearts and creates smiles of love across the face of the world."

Recalling her start as the youngest performer among 14 musical siblings, Dion dedicated the award to her family.

"Every time I go on stage, it's all of them going on stage with me," she said in her acceptance speech in English and French.

Dion then performed "Taking Chances," the first single from her forthcoming album of the same name, slated for release later this month.

The 39-year-old diva from Quebec already holds a World Music Awards prize for the world's best-selling female artist of all time. She won the so-called Diamond Award in 2004.

Canada's Avril Lavigne received awards for best-selling pop/rock female artist and best-selling Canadian artist.

The show paid tribute to 63-year-old LaBelle for her enduring contribution to R&B. LaBelle, whose career stretches back to the 1950s, had the entire audience, including the Prince, on their feet dancing to a rendition of "Lady Marmalade."

"I love this show because it unites the world with music; we need peace in the world," LaBelle said.

British pop star Mika was the big winner of the night, capturing awards for best-selling new artist, best-selling male entertainer, best-selling pop/rock artist and best-selling British artist. Struck down by laryngitis, he was unable to sing his runaway debut hit "Grace Kelly", which makes reference to the Prince Albert's mother, the Hollywood actress who became princess of Monaco upon her marriage in 1956.

Hip hop artist Akon, who has been riding high on world charts, picked up prizes for best-selling R&B male artist, best-selling African Artist and best-selling Internet artist.

"Your are the witnesses to seeing me receive any kind of award for music for the first time in my life," the Senegalese-American told the audience, lamenting having been skipped over for all previous honours for which he has been in contention.

Pop sensation Rihanna, a native of Barbados, was named entertainer of the year, as well as best-selling pop female artist.

Also taking the stage and receiving awards were Mexican rock band Mana (best-selling Latin group), Egyptian singer Amr Diab (best-selling Middle Eastern artist), Laura Pausini (best-selling Italian artist) and Cascada (best-selling German artist).

Julian McMahon, star of the U.S. television series "Nip/Tuck," hosted the event.

Award winners were named based on worldwide album sales, as certified by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, which comprises some 1,400 record companies in 75 countries.

The show was taped and will be broadcast later in 160 countries. It is expected to reach approximately one billion viewers.

After three years of roaming, the annual show returned to Monte Carlo, where it had been staged since its creation in 1989. The awards were broadcast live from Las Vegas in 2004, then moved Los Angeles in 2005 and London in 2006.

Proceeds from a black-tie banquet and auction before the awards are to go toward building a hospital in the strife-torn Darfur region of Sudan.

10.jpg

I have never heard of that channel...:blink:

But...YAY MIKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's where they play American Idol Rewind and all of that. I KNOW I get that channel, because I used to watch it, but I just searched for it and it's not on my program guide. :blink:

What satellite provider do you have? You'll be at home at the time, because it airs on Thanksgiving.

Oh, you're right...that is Thanksgiving. But I won't be home...I'll be visiting family in Louisiana, so I doubt I'd get to watch it, even if they have that channel. But I'm sure someone will put it on youtube.

I really hope MuchMusic or MuchMoreMusic airs it!!! Hopefully they announce it soon on their website!!:thumb_yello:

Can't leave Canada out of this!!!

I'm going to be on the lookout for a Canadian airing - but if anything, since its airing in the UK, maybe Babs can YouTube it for us. :wink2:

ahhhhhhhh! why i would miss!!

that's a truthful proof of his popularity

wow wow wow!! 4 awards !! He's winning back! :biggrin2:

laryngitis.........take care! there's a bunch of gigs coming!

he looked so sexy with the stubble, though a bit looking sick :bleh:

I really hope MuchMusic or MuchMoreMusic airs it!!! Hopefully they announce it soon on their website!!:thumb_yello:

Can't leave Canada out of this!!!

well of course they can't Avril Lavigne won an award so there is a massive Canadian conncection and they had Celine Dion! we just have to look on the schedule for Much Music or Much more Music !

:naughty: oh i was preoccupied...i didn't know about this award :blink:

WOOP!! WOOP!!! YAY Mika :thumb_yello: i feel so happy. he deserve those soooo much!

....but i never heard of that channel :( guess i gotta wait 4 youtube *sigh*

well of course they can't Avril Lavigne won an award so there is a massive Canadian conncection and they had Celine Dion! we just have to look on the schedule for Much Music or Much more Music !

Good point, I hope they show it. I'm going to look right now :biggrin2:

I'lll keep looking days to come too.