Mika 2005: gigs / pics / reports / press

mari62

At Freddiesdouble's suggestion :wink2: I'm also opening a thread about Mika in 2005.

I'm pasting here all the material from 2005 and the posts on it already posted on the 2006 thread and hope we'll find more.

As far as we know (thanks to DANI56) this is the first Mika gig ever and the only one in 2005 :

- MIKA’s 1st showcase, BITTER END, NYC, 6.12.2005

- I/O Lounge in Miami 2005 ?

Edited by mari62

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely amazing pics Dani.....thank you:wub2:

2005!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic:thumb_yello:

you're welcome, Kath ! ....it was an absolute pleasure! :blush-anim-cl:

Well done on the 2005 pics :shocked::thumb_yello:

I always thought they were from 2006 :shocked::shocked:

Thanks Dani!

It says

MIKA’s 1st showcase, Bitter End, NYC, 6.12.2005

He looks very different to my eye

Well done for getting these - I tried ages ago and couldn't :)

Yes.. I mean I always saw those pics but thought they were from 2006 until I saw the date today :naughty:

Indeed he does!

That picture really is superb and 2005 as well!!

He really has put muscle on since then :shocked:

Youthful. And long haired. But yummy - always :)

They come from the website of jodi,no?

Thought you may say that .. nice to "see" you btw :wink2:

Im unsure ... Ive never ever seen anything from Mika in 2005:blink:

yes, Fanny :wink2:...they are!

Yup they are.

So we need a mika in 2005 thread :wink2:

August 25, 2006

why don't you open the thread for 2005?:thumb_yello:

Shall I open a thread FD?

Please somebody tell me that Jerry doesn't look like the actor who plays the dad of the main character's girlie (and neighbour) in 'That 70's show' :lmfao:

He is the spitting image of him!!!! :roftl:

Thanks for this great article, Dani!

I especially find the bit about the thigh slapping funny, and...........What is this about Holy Johnny?

He was doing it already in 2005? I thought that he was telling us in 2007 that 'this is a new song' .... :fisch::naughty:

And his eye too, with all the guyliner :bleh::roftl:

A hint about 2005 in this article: (Introducing the sound of 2007:Mika. The man, the myth, the music)

"After years pushing demo CDs to music labels (no one said it would be easy) he was finally noticed during a few months in Miami in the spring of 2005.

"His demo was originally pitched across record companies in the UK, and was completely ignored by them," said Watt. "So he went to Miami to continue working on songs and when he was over there he met a management company, Fuerte."

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349&highlight=handlebar+moustache

Edited by mari62

" Miami Herald

Posted on Fri, Jun. 15, 2007

http://www.miamiherald.com/1020/story/139102.html

Pop singer Mika breaks rules, breaks out

BY HOWARD COHEN

The last time Mika played Miami, about two years ago, the pop singer was at I/O to perform a record company-sponsored, 20-minute showcase set. His meager crowd encompassed a handful of publishing people, some musicians, ''and my grandmother and my great aunt and my Lebanese relatives, my Miami hipster friends, a tiny selection of people from every scene in Miami,'' says the Beirut-born, Paris and London-bred Mika Penniman, on the telephone from Los Angeles on the eve of his U.S. tour's opening date.

Mika, 23, is upbeat, knowing full well Sunday's concert at Miami's Studio A -- his first real show here -- will be populated by people who have actually paid to see him perform."

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5621&highlight=the+last+time+mika+played+miami

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1717374&postcount=2070 :wink2:

-----------

Here they're talking about Mika @ Studio A in Miami, Florida: 17-06-2007

so it seems that 2 years earlier, that's in 2005, Mika played in Miami for the first time, at I/O

About I/O:

" I/O LOUNGE MIAMI FL

ADDRESS: 30 NE 14th Street, Miami FL

TYPE: Nightclubs Miami - Bars - Lounges

I/O LOUNGE DESCRIPTION

I/O Lounge

Located in the Design District of Downtown Miami, I/O provides an alternative to the house and hip hop of South Beach with a more alternative selection of music, including Indie and Rock events.

I/O has 3 areas - a large bar just inside the front door to get warmed up, the main room where most of the action takes place, and an outdoor terrace which normally houses a more chilled vibe under the stars."

http://www.clubzone.com/c/Miami/Nightclub/I_f_O_Lounge.html

-----------------

"Frommer's Review

Although I'd like to call this new warehouse-y club "ghetto fabulous," I don't want to give out mixed messages. I/O is the club for that funky, arty/hipster set that listens to music by the likes of Belle and Sebastian and other groups that your Britney-loving sister probably never heard of. The club is composed of three areas -- a bar area in which Japanese anime is played, a dance area where live music is performed and cool kids do their best breakdancing (or whatever they're calling it these days), and an outdoor bar area, which is cool during winter months but brutally hot in the summer. The best nights here are Thursday night's Latin-flavored Fuacata! and Saturday night's Pop Life, an homage to the Depeche Mode era of New Wave."

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/miami/N28758.html

Edited by mari62

From "Sound and Vision"

"At 19, he was offered a place to study geography at the LSE, but gave up after one day and enrolled instead at the Royal College of Music. He didn't finish his course because, in 2005, Tommy Mottola, the music mogul who 'discovered' and later married Mariah Carey, heard him play in a hotel and signed him to Casablanca Records. Even before his first single was released, Mika had somehow managed to appear on the much-viewed Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6551&highlight=mika+2005+miami

marina you worked hard for this thread transferring here all the comments made on the 2006 thread! thank you:flowers2:
My pleasure Netina :)
Anyone knows which songs he did?

I would love to know more about those times!!!

Any video or something else than the pics?

We all would like to know more! :punk:

We should search out something about the gig in Miami at I/O :wink2:

Thanks FD for the idea and Marina for opening the thead! :thumb_yello: It's great to have them all in one place :biggrin2: Mari, you even copied and pasted our 2005 related comments from the 2006 thread :shocked::naughty: Great job!

Thanks FD for the idea and Marina for opening the thead! :thumb_yello: It's great to have them all in one place :biggrin2: Mari, you even copied and pasted our 2005 related comments from the 2006 thread :shocked::naughty: Great job!

Thanks Miro :) I thought it was a good idea :D

Tracing back on the qoutes I found this:

"he encored with a comical Christmas song, Holy Johnny."

That explains a lot to me...HJ has always been one of the songs I really couldn't come to terms with but with this suggestion it makes it a lot easier!:roftl:

Thank you for opening this thread, it's really interesting to read about what was happening in the past and it's hard to find this old threads.:thumb_yello: