My Mika college essay

foalbaby14

This is my first college essay and what better thing to write about than Mika:naughty:

The prompt is an experience that I will remember when I'm 80 years old so I chose my first Mika gig.

Hope you like it:teehee:

The Man Who Changed My Life

June 23, 2009 will be a date I will never forget. Mika performed in New York at Le Poisson Rouge and changed my life. Three years and fifteen hours was worth the wait. He changed my life in so many ways, but this concert put the cherry on top of life changing experiences.

During the summer of 2007 I discovered a musician who changed my life and his name is Mika. I went into my brother’s room one night to ask him a question to find him sleeping. As I was closing the door I saw something written on his white board. It said, ‘Mika Grace Kelly.’ Now I’ve heard of the song before but it didn’t fully click in my mind until I saw it written. So that night I went straight to the computer and went on YouTube and typed in Mika Grace Kelly and up popped the video of Mika performing his hit single, Grace Kelly, on 'Later with Jools Holland'. My whole life changed during that video. Right after that clip I watched all of his music videos and every interview I could find. Obviously I did not sleep that night. The next morning I drove to Target and purchased his CD, Life in Cartoon Motion. Oh, if Mika only knew how my life changed on that ride home. Sadly I discovered him in July 2007 and he just did a gig in Miami a month before in June. However I was determined to find out more gigs that he was doing, and that is where the Mika Fan Club came in.

I joined Mika Fan Club, MFC for short, on December 9, 2007. The Mika Fan Club is the official fan site for Mika. When I finally got the feel of MFC I decided to introduce a Mika project I had been thinking of for a while. A Mika project on the MFC is basically a present for Mika that we will give him. My idea was to get a box and fill it with tea from all over the world because Mika loves tea. Thus I started the thread, which is basically a mini blog, and I had a huge response. When I finally received all the tea bags I placed them in a highly decorated box and mailed it to Washington DC and from there it was mailed to London where Mika got the box from a fellow MFCer who decided to help me out. Another MFCer recorded Mika getting the box. He was so dumbfounded that he got a box of tea. I’ve been on MFC for three years now and I’ve had the best time in my life making so many new friends.

Edited by foalbaby14

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura and I have been friends since 8th grade and we’ve been Mika fans together for three years. We took AP Music Theory together our senior year and had so much fun. Since we’ve been Mika fans we had been talking about making Mika a jacket from one of our old marching band jackets. Thus one day during music theory I went to our band director’s office to throw away a gum wrapper and what do I see in the trash can? An old marching jacket! I turned to my band director and asked if I could have it and he said sure take it, so I go skipping up to Laura holding the jacket and her eyes lit up with pure excitement. Right after school we went straight to Michaels to buy things to decorate the jacket. Then all of a sudden Laura looks at me and said that we should have other MFCers from all over the world mail us things to put on the jacket, and that’s exactly what we did. Mind you that we had no idea about seeing Mika in June. We thought it would take another year until we could see him. Then everything changed.

June 22, 2009, Laura, Alex (fellow MFCer and best friend), and I depart from the Orlando International airport and land in New York. From there my uncle takes us to our hotel in North Bergen New Jersey. The next morning we took the hotel shuttle to Time Square, where from there we took a taxi to the Villages where Mika performed at the Le Poisson Rouge. We got to the venue at 9:00am, where other MFCers are already there and we waited in line for about 5 hours, and all of a sudden an ice cream truck pulls up and the man driving it said Mika found out that we all were waiting for so long that we can have free ice cream all day. Finally at 9:00 pm the venue staff lets everyone into the lobby to wait for Mika to set up in the next room. At this point Laura and me are about to collapse from excitement knowing that Mika is in the very next room. Alex has seen Mika twice before, at the Miami gig and again in New York,but of course she is as equally as excited as we are because, DUH it’s Mika. Finally at 10:00 pm the guards let only MFCers in and we got front row. Finally the man whom I have been waiting to see live for three years is literally six feet in front of me. The venue he performed at was sold out and it was really small, it only held 750 people. When Mika sang the first note of his opening song, Grace Kelly, Laura, Alex and I went completely ape ****! We were jumping up and down and singing for an hour and a half. The last song was an encore of his other single, Love Today, there was a stage invasion, when I jumped on stage I got pushed under Mikas piano so I was fighting for my life at this point grabbing onto anybody or thing I could find so I could stand up. When I finally stood up I was face to face with Mika singing along and jumping up and down and touching his sweaty arm and back. I was so worried that Laura didn‘t get on stage because Alex and me were next to each other. But when I looked around I saw Laura’s eyebrow on the other side of Mika so I knew she made it.When the concert was over everyone went outside to wait to meet Mika. With the jacket in hand and our booklets to get signed Laura and I were ready to finally meet Mika. We almost broke each others hand because were holding them so tight. Alex was recording this legendary moment that will be with me till the day I die. When Mika got up to Laura and me we held up the jacket and he could barley speak he was so amazed. He said, “Wow! Thank you! I will wear this to a gig, keep an eye out.” Laura and I could barely stand after he walked away. On the morning of July 28, 2009 I awoke to four missed calls from Laura. I didn’t even have to listen to the messages to know that it was major Mika news. Therefore I went straight to my computer and logged onto MFC to come upon a new music video that Mika released for his new single, We Are Golden. I watched it and what do I see resting on a chair and Mika wearing for three clips in the video, the jacket! I called Laura and we were freaking out that he actually wore it in his new video. We just thought he was going to wear it to a gig. Not in his new music video!! Everyone on MFC flooded Laura and me with congratulation messages and thank you messages for letting them participate. Now Laura, Alex and I just sat back and waited for Mika to release his new tour dates to promote his upcoming CD, “The Boy Who Knew To Much” to be released on September 22, 2009. Then on the morning of August 25, 2009, he released the dates, and on October 16, 2009 in New York at the United Palace Theater Alex and I will be seeing Mika again. Sadly Laura can not attend due to her college schedule. However she will be on the phone with me the entire concert and when I meet Mika again.

As of September 5,2009 Mika wore the jacket to the gig he did in Blackpool which is in London. I signed on to MFC to have a message from a fellow MFCer and she said that Mika wore the jacket to the gig and I must be on cloud nine. I ignored her and immediately called Laura. I was hyperventilating so bad that Laura couldn’t understand me and said that I needed to calm down. When I finally told her we screamed and cried. I went into the thread where we were going to wait for someone to post pictures. We stayed on the phone with each other for about three hours and then someone posted pictures, mind you it was 4:00am in London. Again I hyperventilated with Laura on the other line calming me down and them we cried together looking at the pictures. When the videos came out the next day we finally got see what song he wore it during. He opened the concert up wearing it singing Grace Kelly, We Are Golden and his new song Blame it On the Girls. Mika is the most amazing man and I am eternally grateful that he kept his word about wearing it to the gig and much more.

June 23, 2009 will be a date and event in my mind till the day I die and Mika is all thanks to that. Mika changed my life in so many ways, but the most important is that he brought happiness and wholeness to my life I can not explain, and I can not wait until October 16 to have a whole new meaning and memory added to my life.

Wow, what a story. It's fantastic!:wub2:

Your whole story is very touching, I can feel your excitement by reading it and I really agree with you that Mika is an amazing person, let alone an artist and singer/songwriter!

Thank you for letting us read it!

The jacket is a celebrity now and will live for ever in Mika's music history!:wub2:

Did you really fall under the piano?:shocked:

How is that even possible?:naughty:

Wow, what a story. It's fantastic!:wub2:

Your whole story is very touching, I can feel your excitement by reading it and I really agree with you that Mika is an amazing person, let alone an artist and singer/songwriter!

Thank you for letting us read it!

The jacket is a celebrity now and will live for ever in Mika's music history!:wub2:

Did you really fall under the piano?:shocked:

How is that even possible?:naughty:

Thank you:naughty: I think I'm going to turn in some pictures with it just so my teacher can understand how much I love him:naughty:

Yes:naughty: I don't even know how that happen but I got bruises on my legs because of it:naughty: it was worth it:wub2:

Don't worry my professor said it was OK:naughty:

Oh dang, that's awesome! I had a teacher like that in high school- he said it was okay to put swearing in our work, as long as long as it wasn't derogatory in any way. Also, it couldn't be over the top, it had to fit.

Oh dang, that's awesome! I had a teacher like that in high school- he said it was okay to put swearing in our work, as long as long as it wasn't derogatory in any way. Also, it couldn't be over the top, it had to fit.

My professor said that we can right about anything we want and it can be illegal if we want as long as its not murder:naughty:

I was there in Blackpool on saturday night, and completely freaked when I saw the jacket! He looks gorgeous in it and it fits him to a tee!

That was a great essay, and might get other Americans interested in Mika if they read it. So if you've got a myspace or a facebook, you could maybe post a link to it, or something. I don't understand technology, but there must be a way to get your article out there and attracting new fans. I particularly loved the part about him providing ice cream for the fans in the queue. Isn't that just typical of our Golden Boy!

One thing I must tell you though, Blackpool isn't in London. It's in the North of England on the coast of the county of Lancashire.

I was there in Blackpool on saturday night, and completely freaked when I saw the jacket! He looks gorgeous in it and it fits him to a tee!

That was a great essay, and might get other Americans interested in Mika if they read it. So if you've got a myspace or a facebook, you could maybe post a link to it, or something. I don't understand technology, but there must be a way to get your article out there and attracting new fans. I particularly loved the part about him providing ice cream for the fans in the queue. Isn't that just typical of our Golden Boy!

One thing I must tell you though, Blackpool isn't in London. It's in the North of England on the coast of the county of Lancashire.

Thank you:naughty:

OMG?:blush-anim-cl: I'm so sorry! I can't believe I wrote London! I feel like such an idiot:naughty:

Thank you:naughty:

OMG?:blush-anim-cl: I'm so sorry! I can't believe I wrote London! I feel like such an idiot:naughty:

No you are not an idiot! I used to think Washington was in New York, and that New York was the American capital. I also used to think that the white building in Washington that has the dome on it, was The White House. It was ages until I found out that The White House is the one without the dome. I don't know what the domed building is called though.

No you are not an idiot! I used to think Washington was in New York, and that New York was the American capital. I also used to think that the white building in Washington that has the dome on it, was The White House. It was ages until I found out that The White House is the one without the dome. I don't know what the domed building is called though.

This is the guess of an uneducated Aussie here, but isn't that called the Capitol Building?:dunno:

See, my knowledge of geography is pretty appalling too:blush-anim-cl: