Is Mika worth the money? - Cornish Guardian ~ Cornwall

Miro

Is Mika worth the money?

Friday, February 19, 2010, 11:27

Lee Trewhela's WHAT'S ON BLOG:

Ooh, Mika really has set the lycra-wearing, mascara-smeared cat among the pigeons, hasn’t he? Head to the Eden Sessions Facebook page and see the full wrath of music fans in Cornwall and beyond.

There are literally hundreds of posts from people either slagging Mika as a headliner, criticising the £35 plus £5 booking fee for a ticket, or moaning about the fact they paid £15 to be a member of Inside Track, ensuring the chance to book tickets early (to a gig they hate).

Our own sites - http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk and the What's On Cornwall page at Facebook - are full of similar criticism.

Jenny from Camborne seems to sum up the feeling: "Had really been looking forward to this year's sessions, and am now feeling v disappointed. Am praying there might be just one decent act playing in the remaining gigs, as these first two sessions, as already pointed out, are utter rubbish."

Lots of people criticised the first announcement - Jack Johnson on June 26 - but that gig sold out in near-record time so, remember, just because it's not to your musical taste doesn't mean it's a bad choice from Eden's point of view.

But following up what is essentially a very uninteresting artist with one you’d find fifth or sixth on the bill at your average music festival is asking for trouble. And when the ticket price is almost half the price of a full festival line-up then criticism on this scale, I'm afraid, is a given.

In Eden's defence, Mika will appeal to a family audience - one that hasn't been catered for at the Sessions before - and, let's wait, shall we? We may all be eating humble pie when it sells out ultra-fast…

It's easy to forget that the Eden Project isn't your run-of-the-mill music venue - it costs to produce gigs on this scale, while protecting the environmental aspect of the site, and the Sessions team are reliant on artists reducing their fee in order to play, which is immediately going to rule out many big names.

Let's remember 2007 when the Sessions got poptastic for the first time - there was a lot of supercilious, smug condescension from the rockist crowd when the likes of Lily Allen, Amy Winehouse, James Morrison and the Pet Shop Boys were announced. It turned out to be one of the best years.

Having said that, they really need to pull a big name out of the bag for the next headliner. Jedward simply won’t do...

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/homepagenews/Mika-worth-money/article-1850671-detail/article.html

:blink:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cornish Guardian is making the mistake of listening to a few people who whine on Facebook. There is a natural bias on internet forums towards people who want to sound off about things. All the happy people will be quietly buying tickets.

this is typical local newspaper parochialism - ignore it.

I shall not buy a copy of the Cornish Guardian Ever Again :mf_rosetinted:

And, once again, the age old concept of "the masses have no clue" is proved here :wink2:.

Let the fools stick to their fellow fools, and we will stick to Mika.

Yawn.

They will be in for a surprise though, when it sells out in record time.

Firstly, I'm surprised at the Cornish, a surfing haven, having a go at Jack Johnson, who is embedded in the surf culture!:shocked:

As far as Mika is concerned, I'm not totally surprised.

My friend lives down there, and none of her kids are into him, and they've told me none of their friends are either.

The way I see it, if the Cornish community don't buy the tickets, more chance for me to get one:wink2::naughty:

I think that what they're moaning about is that MIKA isn't "popular enough" there to be on that festival (??) and I suppose that if you don't like his music and have already bought tickets it's a bit of a waste but honestly, I think there are LOADS of people who like Mika there and the tickets will sell really well.

In any case, if you don't like MIKA it's your fault for not having good taste in music! ;)

apparently some people don't like Mika :mf_rosetinted:

I've commented :thumb_yello:

ah,thanks for the explanation.i can be a little slow,hehe.

now it makes sense how ignorant some people are :sneaky2:

I think that what they're moaning about is that MIKA isn't "popular enough" there to be on that festival (??) and I suppose that if you don't like his music and have already bought tickets it's a bit of a waste but honestly, I think there are LOADS of people who like Mika there and the tickets will sell really well.

In any case, if you don't like MIKA it's your fault for not having good taste in music! ;)

well said :thumb_yello:

In Eden's defence, Mika will appeal to a family audience - one that hasn't been catered for at the Sessions before - and, let's wait, shall we? We may all be eating humble pie when it sells out ultra-fast…

A family audience? After JACK JOHNSON? :lmfao: That's a JOKE!

Jack Johnson makes Mika look like a punkcore thrash-head. :boxed:

This article has made my blood boil! The snidey, up-his-own-a**e tone has made me so incensed I just had to leave a comment, which is being moderated at the mo - under my real name, Rachel.

I guess though, you'll always get the negative stuff being mentionned and those who want to criticise always make most noise: the silent majority will just go and buy the tickets and it'll probably sell-out really quickly.

Archived