Are there songs by Mika you don't like?

ManonR

What I wanted to ask you guys if you have a song by Mika that you simply just don't like. I mean, it's (for me) impossible to like EVERY song of an artist or band. Or do you like every song because you know it's from Mika so you like it automaticly (I don't know if that's a word, english isn't my first language)?

So, Do you have any songs by Mika that you 'hate'?

The songs that I don't really like and the reasons why:

Billy Brown, I actually don't really know why I don't like that song, it's not because of the story, I like gay people. Honestly I really don't know why.

Happy Ending, I guess I don't like it because it is too gospel-ish... and in my opinion it is sung too high.

Over My Shoulder, just like happy ending, too high. But the lyrics are beautiful.

Stuck in the Middle, I actually just don't like the chorus, the rest is amazing

I See You, I only like the chorus

By the Time, it's just not my cup of tea I think

And almost every demo, except from overrated

But although I don't like that songs, Mika is still the best singer to me and I listen to his music every day, the thing I just love about him is that everything is kind off home made, so it's unique.

Please don't take it personally if your favorite song is one of the above ^^.

Edited by ManonR

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really interesting topic! :thumb_yello:

as far as I'm concerned, now I like all of his songs but in the beginning I didn't like Make you happy so much. After some listenings I started to love it and it's always been like this with some of his songs such as Over my shoulder as well, for me it was too strange but now it's one of my favourite! :wub2:

really interesting topic! :thumb_yello:

as far as I'm concerned, now I like all of his songs but in the beginning I didn't like Make you happy so much. After some listenings I started to love it and it's always been like this with some of his songs such as Over my shoulder as well, for me it was too strange but now it's one of my favourite! :wub2:

That's funny: Make you happy is my second favorite! But oh well, everybody has an own opinion right?

I love all Mika songs usually but Toy Boy is so sad I can't listen to it ....it depresses me , it's probably because of the music box tune...not the song in itself...but both the lyrics and the melody makes me feel down under so I pass it each time... I know some people love it, it's probably related to our own stories and feelings :dunno:

Hm...

I could have done without celebrate, I usually skip it when it comes up in my playlist. But when it comes up on the radio I'm ok-ish with it :dunno:

You hear it on the radio? :blink: The only Mika I hear on the radio is Grace Kelly now and then.

You hear it on the radio? :blink: The only Mika I hear on the radio is Grace Kelly now and then.

Yes, I was at a shop the other day with my sister and it came up. I actually told her: "right singer, wrong song".

I even heard underwater the other day. I was staying in a hotel, sitting in the lobby talking to a colleague, and suddenly it came up, very softly, in fact I hadn't actively noticed any music was playing before, but I recognised underwater. I think my colleague has probably decided I'm crazy now, since I was a tiny little bit distracted :naughty:

Yes, I bet you read that in your head with a Mika voice. But what I wanted to ask you guys if you have a song by Mika that you actually hate, or simply just don't like. I mean, it's (for me) impossible to like EVERY song of an artist or band. Or do you like every song because you know it's from Mika so you like it automaticly (I don't know if that's a word, english isn't my first language)?

So, Do you have any songs by Mika that you hate?

The songs that I don't really like and the reasons why:

Billy Brown, I actually don't really know why I don't like that song, it's not because of the story, I like gay people. Honestly I really don't know why.

Happy Ending, I guess I don't like it because it is too gospell-ish... and in my opinion it is sung too high.

Over My Shoulder, just like happy ending, too high. But the lyrics are beautiful.

Kids, I don't know what's up with that song but Mika just sounds differend and not Mika-ish to me.

But although I don't like that songs, Mika is still the best singer to me and I listen to his music every day, the thing I just love about him is that everything is kind off home made, so it's unique.

Something more about my addiction:

When I was little, when I saw Mika on TMF, which is like the Dutch MTV. I would listen to Relax all day. Back then, I only knew the songs Relax, Grace Kelly, Big Girl, Kick Ass and We are Golden, which is still one of my favorite. Through the years I kinda forgot about Mika. And this summer while I was on YouTube, I saw Popular Song in the suggestions. I was like, 'hey it's that curly guy Mika! But wait... he's less curly...'. Then I watched his videos over and over again, and before I knew it I was a MikaFreak. Since that day I have listened to his music every day.

Mika%2B%2B%2BPhootoshot%2B2012PNG.png

I don´t hate any of his songs but I skip Pick Up Of The Floor, Blame It On The Girls, Celebrate and Make You Happy when it´s on the Album but live it´s quite different.

Btw you hate two of my absolutely favourite songs, Happy Ending and Over My Shoulder, these songs are just perfect live on stage and I also love him as high as possible.

There are no Mika songs I hate ... but I don't like heroes very much. :blush-anim-cl:

I love the low part, but I think he should have sung the high part softer. It sounds weird like this, and also by making it softer I think there would have been more emphasis on how hurt and fragile these people are.

Yes, I was at a shop the other day with my sister and it came up. I actually told her: "right singer, wrong song".

I even heard underwater the other day. I was staying in a hotel, sitting in the lobby talking to a colleague, and suddenly it came up, very softly, in fact I hadn't actively noticed any music was playing before, but I recognised underwater. I think my colleague has probably decided I'm crazy now, since I was a tiny little bit distracted :naughty:

:naughty:

But now that you mention it ... I hear relax quite often when I go shopping for groceries. :thumb_yello:

Ok ... that was a bit :offtopic::teehee:

I don´t hate any of his songs but I skip Pick Up Of The Floor, Blame It On The Girls, Celebrate and Make You Happy when it´s on the Album but live it´s quite different.

Btw you hate two of my absolutely favourite songs, Happy Ending and Over My Shoulder, these songs are just perfect live on stage and I also love him as high as possible.

Oh yes ... Over My Shoulder ... I still hope to hear that song live on stage one day. :wub2:

I don't hate any of his songs, but if I'm in any kind of fragile or PMS-ey mood, I can't listen to Happy Ending or I See You. They are both beautiful songs, but they are so sad and emotional that they make you feel like your heart is being removed with a butter knife. If I'm in the wrong mood, they reduce me to a weepy mass of goo.

My fav songs are Lola and Toy Boy for the exact same reasons as Anne hates it...

My most hated one is heroes coz i cant listen Mika in it...

Oh and all the french songs except elle me dit...Un soleil mal lune is just an hateful song for me and i always skip it when listening to the album...

Edited by willywonka

I don't like Heroes or Big Girl.

I'm a big girl myself, and though I know his heart was in the right place with that song, I can't help but feel really awkward about it. I think the feeling I get from it is the exact opposite of what he wanted. :doh:

My fav song is Toy Boy for the exact same reasons as Anne hates it...

My most hated is heroes coz i cant listen to Mika in it...

Oh and all the french songs except elleme dit...Un soleil mal lune is just an hateful song for me and i always skip it when listening to the album...

Seems you bought the wrong album. :teehee: Can't you get the UK version of the album in Portugal?

I don't like Heroes or Big Girl.

I'm a big girl myself, and though I know his heart was in the right place with that song, I can't help but feel really awkward about it. I think the feeling I get from it is the exact opposite of what he wanted. :doh:

I like Big Girl but I understand what you mean. I have to lose weight myself (I have to because of my health) and then you hear Mika sing "big girl you are beautiful" and all I can think then is "No i'm not". :aah:

I don't like Big Girl or Stuck in the Middle or Dr John or Good Gone Girl.

And I don't really like TOOL as much as the other albums, except that Stardust and Make You Happy are two of my all-time favourites.