The David Bowie Thread

Queenie

Ohhh... I LOVE David Bowie :wub2:

He's a GREAT Artist, very fascinating, versatile..

I discovered him when I was 17years old.. thanks to the film Labyrinth :D

I love his entire discography, in particular Hunky Dory (his first album that I bought), Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs and the Berliner trilogy.

:thumb_yello:

kill the dentist

:naughty::naughty::naughty: You're right! :aah:

sorry, this clip is very short ( 18 seconds !!) edited from the third battle of The Voice.

Thanks a lot for sharing MikaFrance !!!
http://www.mikafrance.com/news-996-the-voice-9eme-episode-battles.html

Life On Mars by Mika

http://vk.com/video232312753_167956227

and team Mika's battle [ Life On Mars ]

Edited by Kumazzz

• 6 months later...

Thanks a lot Bere @DerMoment1608 for letting me know the details of a VIDEO interview !!!

Repubblica.it

http://video.repubblica.it/spettacoli-e-cultura/x-factor-arriva-la-nuova-stagione-con-victoria-e-fedez/177414/176137

16 settembre 2014

X-Factor, arriva la nuova stagione con Victoria e Fedez

Si apre giovedì la nuova edizione di X-Factor.

Al banco del talent show in onda su Sky Uno due nuovi giudici:

Victoria Cabello ed il rapper Fedez.

Confermati invece Morgan e Mika, che durante la presentazione dello spettacolo ha raccontato di come il suo unico provino aperto non sia andato proprio secondo le aspettative:

"Volevo cantare Bowie, ma quando i giudici mi han detto di cambiare ho scelto Westlife:

mi hanno buttato fuori alla terza nota. Sinceramente avevano ragione"

Google translator

("I wanted to sing Bowie, but when the judges they told me to change I chose Westlife:

I got thrown out at third note. Honestly, they were right " )

[YOUTUBE]_Ccy3KAsjhI[/YOUTUBE]

• 1 year later...

:shocked: I heard the shocking news about David Bowie this morning.  It's so sad, and almost difficult to believe - as we haven't heard anything about him being sick!  :( I still haven't heard his latest alb. "Black Star"- released on Fri 8th Jan,  Davids 69th birthday :(  He will forever be a Shining Star in the music history  :wub:   RIP David...

Love, love

me

• Like 2

I was so shocked to hear he died; I was watching the morning news and i saw him mentioned on the scrolling ticker.  I just about shouted "whaaaaaaaat?" and sat there with my mouth hanging open.

-----

Mika's tweets prolly belong here too:

MIKA official ‏@mikasounds  34m34 minutes ago
Oh goodness. I really can't believe it. Just reconnecting. How sad

MIKA official ‏@mikasounds  26m26 minutes ago
RIP to one of the finest recording artist there has ever been. What a shock and what an extraordinary legacy.

Mika changed his twitter cover photo to the Aladdin Sane photo as well.....
nANEUSw.jpg

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1

David Bowie's last video, Lazarus, released just days before he died...

"Look up here, I'm in Heaven,

I've got scars that can't be seen...

This way, or no way, you know I'll be free

Just like that bluebird,

now ain't that just like me..."

He's meant a lot to me, for a long time. I'm completely devastated. :tears:

I can't even. David epitomized the persona inside of me as a young theatrical imp, longing to be so much more than I was in my small town world, surrounded by people who didn't understand me, understand anything. They still don't.I look at them and it's so obvious. David made it OK to be me. To have those thoughts and dreams.

Edited by Kezza

I'm still in shock... I loved his songs , he was such a musical genius , he leaves us with so many songs to treasure and in that way he is eternal, when I see the stars at night, I think of him and all that happiness he gave to the world through his art, RIP dear David Bowie, thank you :wub2: 

Mika wore a banner at the TIM concert last night saying "Thank you Bowie for my dreams" which was a beautiful way to pay a tribute to him. 

• Like 1

I'm still in shock... I loved his songs , he was such a musical genius , he leaves us with so many songs to treasure and in that way he is eternal, when I see the stars at night, I think of him and all that happiness he gave to the world through his art, RIP dear David Bowie, thank you :wub2:

Mika wore a banner at the TIM concert last night saying "Thank you Bowie for my dreams" which was a beautiful way to pay a tribute to him. 

Indeed nice to use this famous sentense from "Good Guys"  :wub: I used it myself,  when giving condolense to my nephew in Oslo, the biggest Bowie fan I know about.  He even struggled to get his new book ready, till Bowies birthday 8.th Jan. because his fav. and hero has been given quite some place,  in his latest writings... :thumb_yello: 

Love, love

me  

• Like 1

The Guardian

David Bowie: astronomers give the Starman his own constellation

Scientists have registered a constellation shaped like a lightning bolt in honour of David Bowie and his out-of-this-world talent

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/18/david-bowie-astronomers-give-the-starman-his-own-constellation

990.jpg

Video: http://cdn.theguardian.tv/webM/2016/01/11/160111bowietribute3_synd_768k_vp8.webm

Edited by missrully
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Mika mentioned Bowie in this Chinese interview.

http://www.luoo.net/essay/646

Mika:音乐是认识我的媒介

专访・eyelight・2016-02-18

落:我昨天在Facebook上看到你po的一张图,你举着一张海报,上面写着“Bowie,thank you for my dream.”大卫·鲍伊是如何影响了你的生活和你的作品的呢?

Mika鲍伊的作品我花了很长的时间去理解,到现在我仍然有一些不大明白。但这恰恰是我非常喜欢它们的原因, 喜欢并不一定要完完全全领会。他不属于任何人,他周围只有一个很小的圈子。我喜欢他总是不去迎合别人期待的想法,喜欢他尝试冒风险的想法。至于这玩意儿热 门还是不热门,才不重要呢。这只属于鲍伊自个儿。他从不妥协,只做他想做的。他有着根本而内在的优雅,站在“无聊”的对立面。很多人都觉得,如果要优雅, 得潇洒,得奢侈。他不奢侈,却很潇洒。他自成一格,从不无聊,也从不掉价儿。今天人们在网上,为了让自己不无聊,都变得有些不像话了,发些荒谬的图片啊, 我是不懂,总之是在炫耀,但这是真无聊!今日世界大多数名流(此处用手指做了一个夸张的动作,似乎表达不屑)被社交媒体带着跑,真无聊!这不是真的自成一 格。只是装个姿势,拍张照片,摆个态度而已。而鲍伊才是优雅,时髦,不乏味。他是动真格的,而且目光长远,毫不肤浅。所以我才因他而深受启发,不仅是我, 整个世界都是如此。

Google translator

Luo : Yesterday, I saw you on Facebook, you holding a poster that read "Bowie, thank you for my dream." David Bowie is how it affects your life and your it works?

Mika: Bowie's work took me a long time to understand, and now I still have some quite understand. But this is precisely the reason I really like them, love does not have to completely understand. He does not belong to anyone around him only a very small circle. I like him always do not cater to people looking for ideas, he likes to try risky ideas. As for the hot stuff hot door or not, it did not matter. Bowie only belong to myself. He never compromise, only he wants. He has a fundamental and inherent elegance, standing "boring" antithesis. Many people feel that if you want an elegant, too smart, too extravagant. He does not luxurious, very chic. His sui generis, never bored, never plunges children. Today, people on the Internet, to make himself not boring, have become somewhat outrageous, ridiculous send some pictures ah, I do not know, in short, is showing off, but this is really boring! Today most of the world celebrities (here with a finger to do exaggerated movements, seemed to express disdain) with social media is run, really boring! This is not really sui generis. Just put on a pose, take a picture, put a manner only. And Bowie is elegant, stylish, not boring. He is the real thing, and long-term vision, not superficial. So I was inspired by him, not only me, the whole world is true.

post-18723-0-98153400-1462318296_thumb.jpg

http://www.vanityfair.it/people/italia/16/01/14/tim-party-mika-lorenzo-fragola-benji-e-fede-foto-gossip

post-18723-0-41065000-1462318402_thumb.jpg

https://twitter.com/ludovich_t/status/687539482913030144

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I couldn't resist to post it here.

7 June 2016

Tilda Swinton’s CFDA tribute to Bowie

“And so the story goes, they wore the clothes...”

Last night at the CFDA Awards at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York, actress Tilda Swinton paid emotional tribute to David Bowie while collecting the statuette for the BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ TRIBUTE to David Bowie.

Star of Lazarus, Michael C. Hall, performed a visually exciting rendition of Changes with a trio of Ziggyettes...more of which, later.

Tilda read the moving letter to Bowie, introducing it by explaining she was there on behalf of his wife, Iman: “Tonight is David and Iman's 24th wedding anniversary,” She said. “And Iman has asked me to come tonight in her place, to thank you for this great tribute to David, and to send you all her love, and I'm honoured to do so.”

You can watch Tilda’s speech here.

And here’s the correct version of her reading of the letter to David in full (some sites have misreported it):

+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +

Dear Dave,

The CFDA have the great good sense and elegance to tip their caps at you this year.

There's pretty much no year out of the last forty that this would not have been a good idea. But this time around, it feels like an apt opportunity, given this stage in the proceedings, to remind us all how very much a part of us you always were and always will be.

At the request of your beautiful Missus, I've come to collect it for her  -  for you.

These kind people - the fanciest fashion people on the planet - are giving you their highest prize -  their directors' tribute - to honour and to thank you for all the shapes you’ve thrown, from start to finish, through all your years, golden and otherwise, all your changes, ever moving forward, all your colours, all your magic, all your vim and vigour, all your glory, all ways and always.

You checked out early and we are still finding things you left in the drawers and looking for a forwarding address

But you are still hanging signs in the sky, in the trees, for us and we are so grateful for every one.

We want to tell you that we miss you but how very happy we all are that you came by... And that we are getting used to resting on your stardust in your absence.

Once upon a time you gave us a freak for freaks: now and forever more, in our missing you (and this is a good thing), you have brought out the freak in everyone.

You tipped us that wink from the first: one man's freak is another man's free.

Difference and change are all we ever have to rely upon, and always were.

Thank you, chum, for brightening our horizon. For inspiring and exhilarating and enlightening our times. How lucky we are who turned up since you were first here. Thank you for your happiness and your eternal Bona-ness and zhoosh.

You are our hero. Forever and ever.

Everyone says hi.

Love,

Your Tilly

+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +

#BowieSwinton  #CFDA

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'd like to share two files of BBC with MFC's Bowie fans.

ORIGINAL BBC Radio2

clyp ( AUDIO file)

C10skOBWQAA6IED.jpg

Is 'Life on Mars?' Bowie's legacy song - the one he will be most remembered for?

We have exclusive access to unheard recordings of Bowie's original demo and other archive.

'Life on Mars?' is one of David Bowie's most astonishing songs, prompting some observers to describe it as Bowie's own 'My Way'. The irony is, it very nearly was: in 1968, Bowie wrote an early lyric (A Fool Learns to Love) to French singer Claude Francois' 'Comme D'Habitude' which was rejected - Paul Anka's lyrics weren't & the song eventually became Sinatra's 'My Way'. Three years later when 'Life on Mars?' was released on the Hunky Dory album 'Inspired by Frankie' is written in David Bowie's handwriting on the back cover.

We tell the story of how the song came about and we learn what it was like working in the studio with Bowie. Bowie described it as being 'a young girl's reaction to the media'; the lyrics best described as being 'painting-like', impressionistic. Contemporary singer/songwriter Marc Almond examines the lyrics and uncovers the origins of inspiration for the song. We speak to Sophia Anne Caruso, the 15 year old actor who worked with Bowie on his musical Lazarus and is now singing 'Life on Mars?' in the London production.

We speak to Bob Grace who was Bowie's music publisher, record producer Ken Scott, studio engineer Ray Staff, and we hear from Mike Garson, who played the piano in Bowie's live performances, and he played the song over 200 times live. We also hear from Mick Rock who filmed the video for the song, from singer Dana Gillespie, friend of Bowie - Wendy Kirkby, Music Publisher Geoff Heath, Bowie biographer Kevin Cann & author Nicholas Pegg.

Presenter: Martin Kemp, Presenter/Writer & Co-producer: Tris Penna.

This is a Sue Clark Production for BBC Radio 2.

and

a VIDEO

ORIGINAL BBC Radio6 ( can't watch from outsude UK )

OPENLOAD ( VIEW & DL )

C1mpYpOXEAAgUhP.jpg

There was nothing predictable about David Bowie. Everything was designed to intrigue, to challenge, to defy all expectations. But perhaps no period in David Bowie's extraordinary career raised more fascination, more surprise, and more questions than the last five years. This is an intimate portrait of one of the defining artists of the twentieth and early twenty first centuries, told by the people who knew him best - his friends and artistic collaborators.

This film takes a detailed look at Bowie's last albums, The Next Day and Blackstar, and his play Lazarus. In his final five years, Bowie not only began producing music again, but returned to the core and defining themes of his career. This film explores how Bowie was a far more consistent artist than many interpretations of his career would have us believe. It traces the core themes from his final works and relates them to his incredible back catalogue. His urge to communicate feelings of spirituality, alienation and fame underpin his greatest works from the 1960s to 2016. This is what lies at the heart of his success and appeal - music that deals with what it means to be human in a way that goes far beyond the normal palette of a rock star.

The film is not a comprehensive overview of his entire career, but an in-depth exploration of pivotal moments that show how the themes, the narrative and the approach is consistent - it is simply the palette that changes. The film includes every key member of the Next Day band, the Blackstar band and those who worked with him on the stage play Lazarus. In addition, old friends and colleagues are on hand to explore how the work of the last five years relates to Bowie's back catalogue. And, as in David Bowie: Five Years, there is a wealth of unseen and rare archive footage.

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

New David Bowie songs links, thanks to Nenartus :wub2: who shared those on her fb today

audio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fDy-mRGFkw

audio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpzVxylreME

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIgdid8dsC8

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 2