Over My Shoulder

Louiza

i really dont like that song its not mikaish at all... really dont like it.

sorry :boxed:

I didnt like it at all at first as well, simply because of the stupid ridiculous fact that he sings the first "shoulder" like "shoulTer" and then I didnt get the "cold & dry" thingy which is... weird. I prefer songs like Ring Ring or SITM - although I think that OMS is a genius composition. OMS sounds like a rainy cold day on the beach - it reminds me a lot of the soundtrack from "The Piano". You simply need to be in the right mood for it (IMO). It's good & I like it [now] (maybe simply because it's from Mika I need to admit) - his voice is gorgeous and the composition simply great but not my I-listen-to-it-everday-taste as it sounds pretty sad to me (whatever he is actually talking about).

i really dont like that song its not mikaish at all... really dont like it.

sorry :boxed:

you don't have to aplogise! everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whats great for one person, isn't for the next... :wink2:

and i'm one who isn't a fan of this song.... its still good, but i myself don't find it's amazing (which definately doesn't mean to say that it's not).

And i get what you mean on the Mika-ish part, its pretty different!

you don't have to aplogise! everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whats great for one person, isn't for the next... :wink2:

and i'm one who isn't a fan of this song.... its still good, but i myself don't find it's amazing (which definately doesn't mean to say that it's not).

And i get what you mean on the Mika-ish part, its pretty different!

I understand that... I don't like ring ring, and some people look at me in a strange way for that, it's like: How can you dislike a Mika song being so fan of Mika?? ('cause some of the fans here love ALL the songs)

Perhaps it has nothing to do...

I like Over my shoulder, though it's different. I find it very sweet in the way he sings it live with that falsetto voice :wub2: I agree that album version doesn't shine

I understand that... I don't like ring ring, and some people look at me in a strange way for that, it's like: How can you dislike a Mika song being so fan of Mika?? ('cause some of the fans here love ALL the songs)

Perhaps it has nothing to do...

I like Over my shoulder, though it's different. I find it very sweet in the way he sings it live with that falsetto voice :wub2: I agree that album version doesn't shine

Yeah, to be honest i'm not the biggest fan of ring ring either. like you said - some songs just don't shine. But if it came on the radio, i wouldn't switch off, i'd probably sit and sing along, it's just not my favourite.

And over my shoulder is just so different - because i'm not the biggest fan of classical/opera music, because that's the genre its pointing towards ( and of which i know nothing about anyway), i'm not the biggest fan of over my shoulder.

But to someone who loves that style, they can appreciate the technicality of the work and enjoy the song. :bleh:

I'm aware that i'm so incredibly bad at explaining myself, so as not to offend anybody, i'm just saying that everything in what i wrote is generalised and its just one opinion out of 6 billion other people in the world.

edit: i have to agree that the album version of oms feels a bit "mechanical"; it definately comes over better live. :bleh:

Yes but what is "Mikaish"??? Surely the fact that HE wrote it, HE sings it, HE plays it makes it one of the most "Mikaish" songs.

I agree that it's probably as Mikaish as it gets. The song is not LICMish however. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the album and it has no place in his Dodgy Holiday Tour production.

I don't care for it on the album and it didn't work well at a small club in Toronto where the sound was not sufficient for that kind of song. But I do love the Koko performance.

That's the case for all his slow tempo songs IMO. They sound far better live with the passion and subtlety that's lost in the overproduced tracks on the album.

Ring Ring is also very different live. It's one of my favourite numbers at his concerts.

I agree that it's probably as Mikaish as it gets. The song is not LICMish however. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the album and it has no place in his Dodgy Holiday Tour production.

i agree with that. it's not LICMish and it didn't fit in the tour but i'd love to listen to it live.

Ring Ring is also very different live. It's one of my favourite numbers at his concerts.

I sososososo agree!!!! Ring Ring is totally great live. However, I'm afraid that he might cut it out of the show once the new album is out and he needs to do more (new) songs during the show :boxed: :boxed: . It is not a song like Grace Kelly or Love Today or Big Girl that HAS to be performed (I guess). But is soooooooooooooooo love it!!!!! :punk: :punk: :punk:

i hope he doesn't cut out AOW either. It's my least favourite on the album but one of my favourites live, with or without the cello/violins. It just has more emotion and passion in it and I love watching the look one his face when he sings it. As for Ring Ring, i love it on track or live: it's one of my mum's favourites and wanted him to make it a single :roftl:

It's different from the others, it has a more rock feel to it like Sweet Dreams I guess, and I feel it's a genre that he's well suited to. In my opinion.

I agree. I also hope he doesn't cut Any Other World - although I would understand if he did.:blink:

Any other world is one of my favourite songs to listen live. There's so much emotion in this song and i love the part when he turns the mic to the audience and everyone starts singing :wub2:

Hopefully we'll get to listen to Any other world in the future gigs too!

• 3 weeks later...

when i heard this song for the first time i was reeeally tired and sleepy

so i didn't turn off the stero after playing LICM so over my shoulder begun to play .. and i wasn't sure if i was dreaming or not lol

everytime i hear the song now i get a weird feeling

so i didn't turn off the stero after playing LICM so over my shoulder begun to play .. and i wasn't sure if i was dreaming or not lol

i like the idea of not being able to say if listening to the song was a dream or not

haha i know right

now the song always seems like a dream when i listen to it .. duno how to explain that :boxed:

you're so right! it definately feels like a dream when you listen to it:wub2:

• 8 years later...

I still remember the first time I heard him singing that song live. it was in 2010 and tears came to my eyes. Iit was like an angel's voice. Really emotinal  :swoon:  :swoon:

:) Me too - I'll never forget, as long as I live,  being right in front of him, while he was sitting behind the piano, on the small stage of Sentrum Scene, Oslo 17.3.2010, performing "Over my shoulder" :fisch:  It's maybe the best live version ever, and it made the screaming audience breathless and quiet - a really strong and emotional moment :wub: Thanks to clever MFCers being present,  this version was taped,  and can still be enjoyed.  And if this song really is the first demo he ever recorded, it's really great that he can still use it, with such success... :) 

Love, love

me  

• Like 1

I still remember the first time I heard him singing that song live. it was in 2010 and tears came to my eyes. Iit was like an angel's voice. Really emotinal  :swoon:  :swoon:

:) Me too - I'll never forget, as long as I live,  being right in front of him, while he was sitting behind the piano, on the small stage of Sentrum Scene, Oslo 17.3.2010, performing "Over my shoulder" :fisch:  It's maybe the best live version ever, and it made the screaming audience breathless and quiet - a really strong and emotional moment :wub: Thanks to clever MFCers being present,  this version was taped,  and can still be enjoyed.  And if this song really is the first demo he ever recorded, it's really great that he can still use it, with such success... :)

Love, love

me  

me too !!!

It was June 8, 2010 at Tokyo, incredible performance.

His singing voice moved my heart... :tears:

blueskymika shares ( thanks a million as always )

• Like 2