Over My Shoulder

Louiza

I've listened to the Orchestra version for the first time just yesterday. Pure beauty and perfect head voice technique.

It's in a sort of deluxe version he recorded with an Orchestra in Montreal, my avatar pic is the cover of that record.

Edit: no tengo mucha oportunidad de escribir algo en español aquí así que...un abrazo para España! Y aprovechen que andan por Europa y Milano está como a un tren o avión en oferta de distancia :P

Las cosas no son tan fáciles. Y este no es el punto.

• 3 months later...

The Voice season 6 episode-4 Blind audition ( aired on March 11, 2017 )

Tectum - « Over My Shoulders » (Mika) - The Voice 2017 - Blind Audition

Side effect on ITunes France :glasses3:

692581Capturedcran20170313131121copie.jp

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

I think y'all should know how I first discovered Over My Shoulder.

When I got LICM I didn't know it was a hidden track and I went to listen to the album in full while taking a bath. I'm  there feeling fully relaxed and the album gets to Happy Ending. Happy Ending finishes and then this slow eerie song starts playing. I was so spooked I jumped out of the bath so fast, wrapped myself in a towel and started getting really worried. I was using a CD player that displayed track name so it still said Happy Ending, I kid you not I honestly thought I was being haunted by something! I must have made a noise because my mum came up to ask if I was ok, listening to the song I started feeling this wave of sadness and let my mum into the bathroom (not weird, I was covered with a towel remember), I explained about the song and we listened to a bit of it again. My mum didn't really like the song but said it was probably an extra track and that my CD player isn't possessed by a ghost. And that is how Over My Shoulder frightened me into loving the song. Still feel a little sad when I listen to it though.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I am happy that he still sings it live cos I adore this song. His voice sounds amazing when he sings that. :wub2:

I have to admit that I didn't like it when I discovered it as hidden track. :aah: But when I heard it live at the gig I went to, I started to love it. It's really underrated I think. A wonderful song that makes me slightly sad... anyway it's so beautiful. ❤

@TinyLove_CJ I love your story!!! :lmfao:

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

It's 2 times now that he sang OMS after Stay High on this tour... I wonder why he chooses this song as an extra, of all the songs he has. It's like the opposite to Stay High, like first he sings 'We're gonna stay high' and then this depressive song - I must admit I still don't particularly like it, I don't know why - maybe because in this one there's no beauty in sadness for me, there's no uplifting beat, no beautiful melody to the sad lyrics, it's simply sad, it pulls me down, makes me feel hopeless if I let the emotions get to me. So I'm glad I wasn't at those gigs where he sang it after Stay High. Does he choose it just because it's easy for him to play without the band and he can remember the lyrics? Because he is (still) depressed? Because he wants to show the contrast between the feelings in Stay High and OMS? Because he wants to get the crowd's euphoria back to a normal level? I'd love to know. What did it feel like for those who were at these gigs?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mellody said:

It's 2 times now that he sang OMS after Stay High on this tour... I wonder why he chooses this song as an extra, of all the songs he has. It's like the opposite to Stay High, like first he sings 'We're gonna stay high' and then this depressive song - I must admit I still don't particularly like it, I don't know why - maybe because in this one there's no beauty in sadness for me, there's no uplifting beat, no beautiful melody to the sad lyrics, it's simply sad, it pulls me down, makes me feel hopeless if I let the emotions get to me. So I'm glad I wasn't at those gigs where he sang it after Stay High. Does he choose it just because it's easy for him to play without the band and he can remember the lyrics? Because he is (still) depressed? Because he wants to show the contrast between the feelings in Stay High and OMS? Because he wants to get the crowd's euphoria back to a normal level? I'd love to know. What did it feel like for those who were at these gigs?

You're right... I totally feel the same about this song. It makes me sad and depressed, but anyway I love it so much! To me it's simply beautiful. And although I know I get sad I like to listen to it.

Anyway I wouldn't want it as last song of a gig... after stay high... I wouldn't be able to stay high really... :sweatdrop:

It would be very interesting to know the reason for him doing that...

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 1:22 AM, mellody said:

I think it has more to do with the layout and acoustics of the venue.  I don't know for Australia, but in Tours we could see him tell Tim he wanted to play it while they were still euphoric and greeting the audience.  And before starting playing, it looked like he wanted to offer this last song as a 'gift'.  He said it had been a while since he'd played it and he was happy to play it, and that since we were in such a beautiful theatre, he had to play something beautiful. And it was beautiful indeed, he had many of us in tears :tears:

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

A beautiful version, love their voices together. :cloud:

I first heard OMS a couple of months ago. (I know, late again!) I was walking back from the shops via a busy industrial estate while listening to music on my phone. Clicked on OMS not knowing what to expect. I was instantly transported away from the lorries and grime, taken away by the hypnotic piano and the soaring, delicate voice. I actually had to stop and sit on a grass verge while it played, to give it the attention it deserved. It took my breath away. So fragile, yet so beautiful, it's amazing. ❤️

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

OK.... I have a few thoughts on this song and want to try to gather them here before they fly away altogether.

First off, in trying to remember my initial encounter with OMS, I think it was similar to how @TinyLove_CJ described it, as having a "haunting" quality (without the spooky feeling or jumping out of the bath, lol). I'd listened to the LICM album several times already but had never let Happy Ending play out all the way to the end, and happened to leave it going while I was doing schoolwork one evening. From what I can recall, my first reaction was something like "WOW, this is beautiful and completely different from Mika as I know him from his other songs, and I'm totally here for it." Up until that moment, I had enjoyed his music as a fun, danceable romp but didn't really respect him as much as a composer and performer. (Honestly I thought he was a bit cheesy and over-the-top, which could still be said about a lot of his songs, although I've come to appreciate him and his style a lot more since 2007! :)).

The funny thing is, I didn't even recognize OMS as being in any particular language at first. His voice was so raw and purely emotive that I completely skipped over trying to understand the lyrics and just bathed in the sheer melancholy of it. The simplicity of the tune, the piano accompaniment, and the carefully placed dissonant harmonies also blew me away. Even if the overall feeling it evoked was sad and depressing, I didn't mind that he took me there. It was a welcome respite after the candy-like wonderland that was the rest of the album (and I'm referring more to the music than the lyrics, as I know that some of his other song lyrics from LICM were pretty dark too).

I don't feel like any of his other songs I've encountered meet quite the same level of melancholy, although he's come close with a few (I See You, Last Party and Blue come to mind, even though they all have more lively or uplifting qualities to them as well). Listening to his live orchestral versions of OMS lately has been interesting, as I feel like he brings a completely different energy to it. More like a mature opera singer than a lost little boy. If I'm lucky enough to see him in concert this year, I'd love to hear him sing it, but a part of me feels most connected to the original album version, simply because it was such a gateway to a different world of music as pure emotion when I was a young adult.

That's what I can come up with for the moment. Lots of blah-blah from me, but it's so interesting to sift through these feelings in words, I had to do it. :blush: And if by some miracle Mika ever reads these words, THANK YOU SO MUCH for slipping this little orphan of a song into your debut album. It was truly a treat to discover it, and I hope you continue to bring it out at concerts again and again. 

Edited by Aki Celeste
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, krysady said:

For me would be also Overrated - demo version

Oh wow, I hadn't heard that version of Overrated before. I like it much better than the album version, which is way too overproduced for me, even though the angst of the lyrics and melody still come across. And just when I think he can't go any higher during the chorus, he hits an even higher note! :swoon:

Edited by Aki Celeste
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Aki Celeste said:

Oh wow, I hadn't heard that version of Overrated before. I like it much better than the album version, which is way too overproduced for me

Agree! At the time we found out there will be a song called Overrated on his album, we were all excited and thought it would be this one in a slightly produced version for the studio. Imagine the shock after it was released, I remember we had many intense discussions here on this subject  :aah:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, krysady said:

Agree! At the time we found out there will be a song called Overrated on his album, we were all excited and thought it would be this one in a slightly produced version for the studio. Imagine the shock after it was released, I remember we had many intense discussions here on this subject  :aah:

I also prefer the old version, the one from the album doesn't let me enjoy it that much. I think he kept the song as his little experiment.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lulul said:

I think he kept the song as his little experiment.

That is a great way of putting it. :) Mika seems to always be experimenting in one way or another, which is why I respect him even for the songs/projects I don't like as much. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next!

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 12:30 PM, krysady said:

For me would be also Overrated - demo version :wub2:

Oh I absolutely adore the demo version. I agree with you… also the lyrics „paint me in a colour you swear you have never seen before“… it’s a shame he altered it so much before recording it for the album. 

I truly wouldn’t mind an „unreleased songs“ album… Raw demos and all! Just imagine what gems will be on there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I truly wouldn’t mind an „unreleased songs“ album… Raw demos and all! Just imagine what gems will be on there. 

Yes, please!! I'm still hoping to hear "How Much Do You Love Me" on a record after all these years! :pray:

• Like 1