Monuments and Landmarks - the virtual tourist thread

chickadee

I feel your pain. Photobucket periodically hates me too! Well there you go. The Anne Frank House. Is it a museum about her?

Are the coffeeshops more famous for pastries then or for something else?

Definitly for something else...but I think we should ask a Dutch person to tell us more about it!:naughty:

The coffeeshops here, are famous for selling softdrugs, so if you ever visit and fancy a cup of coffee..........don't go in the coffeeshops wich smell funny :naughty:

i remember reading her diary! i read it once in french & a few years later in english.

have you ever visited Anne Frank's house?

Yes I did, and it had a huge impact on me. To think that what you read in the diary really happend in there. There are still pictures on the wall that were mentioned in the book, its in its original state. :thumb_yello:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh what a good idea ! love that thread

I love travelling, so this thread is so nice to know more about Mfcers and also to discover new places in the world !

You shared very nice pics ! thanks guys...

Well, I'm from St Malo, a little town with a huge history, in Brittany (West of France) I'm very proud of my town and I love it, even if I don't live there anymore because of my studies, but I love go back at my parent's home !

Views of the town

saintm10.jpg

a2a-2812.jpg

the Castle

chatea10.jpg

and Stormy weather !!! ( with big tides, the sea goes over the road, it's really impressive. And we have one of the biggest tides of Europe. )

saint-10.jpg

saint-12.jpg

and at about 50 kms we have the Mont Saint Michel

mont2010.jpg

mont_s10.jpg

et voilà !

I hope you enjoyed it !

Next !...

I love travelling, so this thread is so nice to know more about Mfcers and also to discover new places in the world !

Well, I'm from St Malo, a little town with a huge history, in Brittany (West of France) I'm very proud of my town and I love it, even if I don't live there anymore because of my studies, but I love go back at my parent's home !

Views of the town

[/url]

the Castle

and Stormy weather !!! ( with big tides, the sea goes over the road, it's really impressive. And we have one of the biggest tides of Europe. )

et voilà !

I hope you enjoyed it !

Next !...

I went there on holiday 3 years ago! It's very beautifull :thumb_yello: I love france, its such a beautifull country, and love the language to.

I went there on holiday 3 years ago! It's very beautifull :thumb_yello: I love france, its such a beautifull country, and love the language to.

it's so funny !!! :original: where did you stayed ?

when we say it's a small world, welle, it's actually true !

it's so funny !!! :original: where did you stayed ?

when we say it's a small world, welle, it's actually true !

don't know where exactly, but i do know that it was about 15 minutes from Mont St. Michel. I remember being in St. Malo.:thumb_yello:

don't know where exactly, but i do know that it was about 15 minutes from Mont St. Michel. I remember being in St. Malo.:thumb_yello:

ok !! :thumb_yello:

as you said you love France and the language, don't hesitate to come and say hello in the French thread, even if you don't really speak french :wink2:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2080497&posted=1#post2080497

have a nice day !

Thankyou! I knew nothing about Argentina except for having seen the really colourful houses before. That street is quite something isn't it!

Why is the Woman's Bridge called the Woman's Bridge?

In that neighbourhood all the streets are named after women. I think it has something to do with that.:bleh:.

All those places are so beautiful !! Now I know where I have to go when I'll go visit one of those countries.:naughty:.

wow! what a busy city! do you ever drive in tokyo?

I drive a lot actually...it is easier than driving in London, because drivers are generally more polite!

I love all the fascinating pics in this thread!!

And this is the marketplace in Roermond

http://www.roermond.nl/index10163.htm

(you need to install a viewer, which is harmless)

The city:

800px-rur_roermond.jpg

By night:

p137672-Roermond-Skyline.jpg

We also have:

70.jpg

Roermond also has a darker history...they hanged the most witches of the Netherlands at the same time in Roermond... on the Galgenberg (willows hill)

2189777410_109fa68787.jpg?v=0

Edited by Biekje

here is my part of the world...

i live on the south shore of montreal, quebec, canada.

to visit quebec virtually, this is probably the best way.

note that the site is in multiple language if this makes it easier for you

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/

we are also the land of the maple syrup!

127487755_d42a161a52_o.jpg

127484610_7e45a38fc8_o.jpg

this is the haskell opera house

it is within a mile of where i grew up (and 3 houses down from my brother's house) it seats approx. 400 people (perfect for an acoustic mika gig)!!

what makes it special is that the stage is in canada, but the audience is sitting in the states.

haskell.jpg

Opera1.jpg

voila!

I also love maple syrup. My sister lives in BC so she sends it to me:wub2: It's rather weird seeing all those trees like that. I mean, I knew the method of collection, but I've never seen it.

Nice opera house. How is it that your brother lives just down the street from it? Does he live in the city or is it not in a city?

hehehe: I don't think they even serve coffee....

People in the governement have made a law that coffee shops can't be in 250mtrs around a school. But otherwise they are allowed to exist.

The Anne Frank House is indeed a kind of museum. It is the place where she and her family hid in the war for the Germans. It is called Het Achterhuis, the behind House..(?) It is an appartement with a few rooms hidden behind an office. It is still the same as it was when Anne lived their.

Everyone should read her diary, it is a very close look into history.

I wondered if it was the actual house she lived in. That is pretty incredible. I read her story when I was young...

The coffeeshops here, are famous for selling softdrugs, so if you ever visit and fancy a cup of coffee..........don't go in the coffeeshops wich smell funny :naughty:

Yes I did, and it had a huge impact on me. To think that what you read in the diary really happend in there. There are still pictures on the wall that were mentioned in the book, its in its original state. :thumb_yello:

I'm quite naive and dense I think. It was only after repeated hints by you guys that i realised it must be drugs you were talking about. Well, I don't drink coffee, but I would go in looking for pastries and get a rude surprise!

Yes, if you think of it in terms of a "story" you can dismiss it too easily. To actually be confronted with the evidence of where it all took place, that must be pretty powerful.

Nice thread... OK ... here's some stuff for you.....

Colchester Castle.... Colchester is one of Britain's oldest recorded towns... it was also the capital of England before London was.... a very very long time ago :wink2:

The castle was ordered by William the Conqueror, designed by Siward, Bishop of Rochester, it's a Norman Castle and was completed in the year 1100.

Colchester_castle_800.jpg

800px-Colchester_castle2C_rear_side.jpg

I can't remember who showed you pics of Hampton Court Flower Show... but I remember going to the palace for a school trip when I was 10...

800px-Hampton_Court_Palace.jpg

800px-HamptonCurt.jpg

Hampton Court Maze .... I remember getting completely lost in it when I was 10.... I was scared I wouldn't ever get out and I'd miss my bus home.... thankfully someone came and found me....

untitled-7.jpg

My fave place in London.... Covent Garden....

800px-Covent_Garden_Panorama_May_20.jpg

I'll probably think of some more later on....

More classic gardens. There is something about formal gardens that is so restful on the eye. I certainly would not want to be responsible for getting the garden to look like that (I have black thumbs), but I love the result.

Hubby was really interested in the pics of Colchester and promptly launched into a lecture all about London back then etc etc. I put up my hands and cried "Parley!"

And there you go! Covent Garden. A place I've heard of but had no idea what it looked like.

Did I mention, I'm always so overwhelmed by all those huge old places? I just can't get over the fact that they're real and that people have actually lived in them etc etc. It must be because white settlement of Australia is so young and we don't have anywhere near as many impressive buildings.

Views of the town

saintm10.jpg

a2a-2812.jpg

the Castle

chatea10.jpg

saint-10.jpg

saint-12.jpg

mont2010.jpg

mont_s10.jpg

et voilà !

I hope you enjoyed it !

Next !...

I've never seen anything like your home town. The idea of the ocean being nearly all around it is so completely different to anywhere I've lived. There's no suburban sprawl at all!

And Mont St Michel looks like something out of a fairytale.

In that neighbourhood all the streets are named after women. I think it has something to do with that.:bleh:.

All those places are so beautiful !! Now I know where I have to go when I'll go visit one of those countries.:naughty:.

Well I guess that makes sense when you think about it!

I drive a lot actually...it is easier than driving in London, because drivers are generally more polite!

I love all the fascinating pics in this thread!!

You didn't answer my question about the maid cafes BS:tears: I don't understand them.

And this is the marketplace in Roermond

http://www.roermond.nl/index10163.htm

(you need to install a viewer, which is harmless)

The city:

800px-rur_roermond.jpg

By night:

p137672-Roermond-Skyline.jpg

We also have:

70.jpg

Roermond also has a darker history...they hanged the most witches of the Netherlands at the same time in Roermond... on the Galgenberg (willows hill)

2189777410_109fa68787.jpg?v=0

Thankyou. Was that night shot for anything special? Just that it looks like every single light is on! Is the marketplace a live camera feed? Just that it's all darkish for me, like night time. I can see a little bit of something...

I read about the witches in one of the wiki links. Thanks for the pic of the hill. It gives it a location for me...

Edit: That was a dumb question about the web cam... I just went back and actually LOOKED at the site, and it's telling me it's 1:20 in the morning! :doh:

Edited by chickadee

I also love maple syrup. My sister lives in BC so she sends it to me:wub2: It's rather weird seeing all those trees like that. I mean, I knew the method of collection, but I've never seen it.

Nice opera house. How is it that your brother lives just down the street from it? Does he live in the city or is it not in a city?

my brother lives in a small quebec town called Rock Island (it's not even an island :naughty:) 1500 habitants.

the town is on the vermont/usa border.

the homes / buildings are very old in that area.

the Haskell opera house is split between usa and canada

my brother lives up the street in a victorian house (4 levels, top one was for the butler and the maid... the house has 51 windows, just gorgeous!!!)

his neighbor at the back of his property is in the usa... how cool is that?

btw, my dad is 82 years old and owns a sugarhouse... he still makes maple syrup every spring! mmmm!!!

my brother lives in a small quebec town called Rock Island (it's not even an island :naughty:) 1500 habitants.

the town is on the vermont/usa border.

the homes / buildings are very old in that area.

the Haskell opera house is split between usa and canada

my brother lives up the street in a victorian house (4 levels, top one was for the butler and the maid... the house has 51 windows, just gorgeous!!!)

his neighbor at the back of his property is in the usa... how cool is that?

btw, my dad is 82 years old and owns a sugarhouse... he still makes maple syrup every spring! mmmm!!!

I thought it must be something like that. How bizarre! Well, not really, but there must be some fascinating history to this place, otherwise the opera house could not have been built. I mean, it's bad enough getting the planning permission sorted in one country, but to have to apply to two! So, I'm going to presume that the entire town used to belong to either Canada or the US and that something happened... As I said, it sounds interesting!

Your brother's house sounds incredible. How does the town do things... I mean, the municipal council reports to whom? Canada? US? Freaky!

We have some twin towns here in Aus that straddle state borders but they generally don't have too many problems. Although there is one that straddles the border of Queensland and New South Wales, and that gets a tiny bit tricky when daylight savings comes in, as Qld doesn't do daylight saving and NSW does. I'm not sure what they've come up with as a solution...

Go your Dad! Does he do it on a commercial scale or just for private use? And does he give you some?:naughty:

I thought it must be something like that. How bizarre! Well, not really, but there must be some fascinating history to this place, otherwise the opera house could not have been built. I mean, it's bad enough getting the planning permission sorted in one country, but to have to apply to two! So, I'm going to presume that the entire town used to belong to either Canada or the US and that something happened... As I said, it sounds interesting!

Your brother's house sounds incredible. How does the town do things... I mean, the municipal council reports to whom? Canada? US? Freaky!

We have some twin towns here in Aus that straddle state borders but they generally don't have too many problems. Although there is one that straddles the border of Queensland and New South Wales, and that gets a tiny bit tricky when daylight savings comes in, as Qld doesn't do daylight saving and NSW does. I'm not sure what they've come up with as a solution...

Go your Dad! Does he do it on a commercial scale or just for private use? And does he give you some?:naughty:

this may interest you. the building has 2 addresses... 1 in canada & 1 in usa.

:naughty: it explain its existance and why it unites 2 countries. the local library is in the opera house as well... you can sit on the border to read books

http://www.townshipsheritage.com/Eng/Org/Other/OHO_haskell.html

the town where my brother lives is in quebec, canada and answers to the mayor. it just borders the usa

there is also a street not to far from there called Canusa (Canada USA),

on the right side of the street, the homes are in canada, on the left side, they are in the usa. at the end of the street, you have the customs offices (left is usa, right is canada) a few homes were built right on the border (livingroom in usa & kitchen in canada)

http://www.townshipsheritage.com/Eng/Articles/Places/stanstead.heritage.tour.html

growing up, we went to macdonald's restaurant in the usa... it was closer :naughty:

so we had to go through customs to report etc... just for a hamburger :naughty:

i was born in usa, as it was the closest hospital

my father only makes it for his own consumption, family and friends.

he loves making it, but it is alot of work

this may interest you. the building has 2 addresses... 1 in canada & 1 in usa.

:naughty: it explain its existance and why it unites 2 countries. the local library is in the opera house as well... you can sit on the border to read books

http://www.townshipsheritage.com/Eng/Org/Other/OHO_haskell.html

the town where my brother lives is in quebec, canada and answers to the mayor. it just borders the usa

there is also a street not to far from there called Canusa (Canada USA),

on the right side of the street, the homes are in canada, on the left side, they are in the usa. at the end of the street, you have the customs offices (left is usa, right is canada) a few homes were built right on the border (livingroom in usa & kitchen in canada)

http://www.townshipsheritage.com/Eng/Articles/Places/stanstead.heritage.tour.html

growing up, we went to macdonald's restaurant in the usa... it was closer :naughty:

so we had to go through customs to report etc... just for a hamburger :naughty:

i was born in usa, as it was the closest hospital

my father only makes it for his own consumption, family and friends.

he loves making it, but it is alot of work

Thank you for telling about this, it is really interesting!:thumb_yello:

Nice to read about a boarder for once where people are living and interacting in a friendly way!

Thankyou. Was that night shot for anything special? Just that it looks like every single light is on! Is the marketplace a live camera feed? Just that it's all darkish for me, like night time. I can see a little bit of something...

I read about the witches in one of the wiki links. Thanks for the pic of the hill. It gives it a location for me...

Edit: That was a dumb question about the web cam... I just went back and actually LOOKED at the site, and it's telling me it's 1:20 in the morning! :doh:

:floor: that's the thing with living on the other side of the world :floor:

Yes,it's a live webcam...

And the night picture wasn't anything special, the lights are always on there...a lot of pubs at that street..

Thank you for telling about this, it is really interesting!:thumb_yello:

Nice to read about a boarder for once where people are living and interacting in a friendly way!

Which reminds me of something else from where I live (Roermond in The Netherlands).

I live about 10 mins from the German border and 20 mins from the Belgian border, by car.

We now have open borders, so there's no one who's going to stop us while passing the borders.:thumb_yello:

For me it's quite natural living so close to 2 borders, but now I realise it's not normal for everyone hahaha.

When I still had a car, I used to go shopping in Germany about every week. And in Belgium in Maaseik they had a really nice restaurant for spare ribs (In Den Soeten Naam Jezus...which means translated something like: in the sweet name of jesus) and I have been going out in Germany and Belgium too. Many times:thumb_yello:

I'm lucky!

Edited by Biekje