Mika Conquered The World -- Billboard.com

iadoremika

:tears::boing:

I can't wait to hear more news about it!

I just called musicfreak and woke her up:roftl: I was like its Mika news don't be mad:naughty:

That's hilarious.:roftl:

I'm with you, ladies! I just pray a show that I can go to will be scheduled on a weekend, cos it's kinda hard to cut class when you're student teaching. Blah. :sneaky2:

I KNOW!!!!!! We're still juniors (errrr it's taking so long....long story) but we might be starting some 'going around to certain school district' sort of things since we're maybe thinking about art education......so St. Louis on a Saturday would work out totally fine for us.....:roftl::roftl:

*runs off to speak to Mika about the matter*:roftl:

Thanks for posting!:thumb_yello:

I read this article with a mixture of awe and suspicion. The marketing machine is a mistery to me, a bit monstruous if you ask me.With his first record I heard it because I was lucky enough to come across it, not because someone shoved it in my face, it was an off-the radar thing that made me feel that I was on to a well-kept secret. It's still the same to me, I want to hear his new record because I love his music, but I guess the pop world doesn't work that way.

I agree with this. I know it's business and how the world works etc etc, but it's so cold and clinical.

My reaction to Mika's music is emotional, of course and this kind of article bursts my little bubble.

I totally disagree. The only reason I ever heard of Mika is because some record label marketing type gave up on Alberta radio and arranged to have the Grace Kelly video playing in movie theatres before the trailers came on, when I went to see Spiderman 3.

I'm sure there are loads of other people in both the US and Canada who would love Mika's music...if they knew he existed.

We're in a vacuum here in Western Canada. None of my friends had heard of all these artists that are so successful overseas - Mika, Calvin Harris, Tinchy Stryder, La Roux, Scouting for Girls, Lily Allen etc - until I told them about this music. And I'd bet that a lot of the US is the same way.

I think so, too, especially if he makes an MTV-friendly video. I still think they should have released Erase in the States. But, if we're looking onward, I would be incredibly curious to see the sales figures that come out of this early American iTunes release, and how they line up with Universal's targets.

I'll be snooping about a week after this release to see if WAG has cracked the top 100 on the US version of iTunes, and if so, how high it's ranking. :teehee:

Hopefully it does well enough that radio pays attention - and that they're ready to embrace BIOTG, 'cause that's where my American airplay bet is.

I suspect it is. My limited understanding suggests that Flanders is more culturally similar to the Netherlands, and Wallonia more culturally similar to France.

Feel free to (gently!) correct me if I'm way off base with that. :blush-anim-cl:

I agree with everything you said :thumb_yello: but what I don't understand...Can't Universal Music have a say in all this ? Can't they force somehow radio stations to play Mika's songs ? Are they really making efforts ? There are no reasons why Mika can succeed in Europe but not in the States

I agree with everything you said :thumb_yello: but what I don't understand...Can't Universal Music have a say in all this ? Can't they force somehow radio stations to play Mika's songs ? Are they really making efforts ? There are no reasons why Mika can succeed in Europe but not in the States

I think the radio stations have control...:huh:

I think so, too, especially if he makes an MTV-friendly video. I still think they should have released Erase in the States. -cl:

To me though, Erase isn't really Mika, and neither would an MTV friendly video be.

If he has to change too much to appeal to a different audience, he won't be the artist I have come to love.

I guess that's life though and I will have to deal with it if it happens.

Yes , but having radio play = selling album = money for Universal :naughty:(and for Mika :aah: ) excuse my dumbness but isn't Universal american ? :loco:

Well I guess Universal could pay radio stations to play his music, but I've heard they're cheap :teehee:

Thanks for the article! :thumb_yello:

His first major-label single, "Grace Kelly," claimed the top spot in the United Kingdom, Denmark, Ireland, Italy, Norway and Wallonie, and went top 10 in 10 other markets. Meanwhile, the album hit No. 1 in France, Flanders, Greece, the Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Wallonie and the United Kingdom, and it went top 10 in eight other markets including Germany and Australia.

Not a country I have heard of before:teehee:

Idd, they mentioned Flanders as well in the article, the Dutch part of Belgium if you will :teehee: Don't really get why they have to split it up either... The diversity is big enough already, please don't be splitting up Belgium in the international press as well...:mf_rosetinted:

I think it's part of Belgium. Not sure why they didn't just say that though. :dunno:

Maybe the market is treated separately from Flanders and this is commonly understood in the industry. Billboard is an industry publication and not generally meant for the public.

Yep, I guess so. Everything else media-related is split up, so why wouldn't this be.

I suspect it is. My limited understanding suggests that Flanders is more culturally similar to the Netherlands, and Wallonia more culturally similar to France.

Feel free to (gently!) correct me if I'm way off base with that. :blush-anim-cl:

I personally don't agree:teehee: Maybe there are Belgians who feel this way, but I don't. I don't feel there are more cultural similarities with the Netherlands than with Wallonie. If I talk about music in fact, there's more of a French influence than a Dutch one imo.

Thanks for the article! :thumb_yello:

Idd, they mentioned Flanders as well in the article, the Dutch part of Belgium if you will :teehee: Don't really get why they have to split it up either... The diversity is big enough already, please don't be splitting up Belgium in the international press as well...:mf_rosetinted:

I personally don't agree:teehee: Maybe there are Belgians who feel this way, but I don't. I don't feel there are more cultural similarities with the Netherlands than with Wallonie. If I talk about music in fact, there's more of a French influence than a Dutch one imo.

Living in Flanders too, I totally agree with you ... on both parts!!! Well sad!!!:thumb_yello:

Mika shares that fierce ambition, rattling off his American sales stats with a mixture of pride and defiance. While he declines to name names, the fact that other international artists have a higher U.S. profile, despite selling fewer albums, clearly rankles him. He describes selling out U.S. shows as "a big '**** you' to everybody who won't play my records."

That word is becoming popular in Mika world :biggrin2:

I don't think he was talking about the gifts...WORSE! about the camping fans...:shocked::aah:

Do you think he doesn't want to meet fans in the near future ?

I thought he meant he wants to get rid of the gifts he received :boxed: