Mika Conquered The World -- Billboard.com

iadoremika

Let's drop out :devil:

With a tour in October.. we'll probably end up doing just that, with any luck. :naughty:

Deb, feel free to let us know any time if you confirm any dates, please.

(PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow:)

ClearChannel controls the majority of radio stations in the US. So, they have to get that company to agree to play him.

I think having Perez as a friend is the smartest thing Mika ever did in this country.

Exactly my thoughts!:roftl: And I’m still wondering how he did that!:fisch:

ClearChannel controls the majority of radio stations in the US. So, they have to get that company to agree to play him.

I think having Perez as a friend is the smartest thing Mika ever did in this country.

I'm sure that Mika also knows that :fisch::naughty:

If Mika was really smart he'd start befriending Oprah. :naughty:

Didn't he say once that he would have named the song 'grace kelly' after either grace kelly or oprah because they were his grannies two favorites? Or something along those lines..

then he said 'oprah doesnt need a song named after her, shes had too much already'

not a good way to start, mika, not a good way to start. :no:

just saw this and thought I'd add some further comments to this thread as I like the topic:

Well I guess Universal could pay radio stations to play his music, but I've heard they're cheap :teehee:

It is extremely unethical for people to take compensation for playing music on the radio to the point where I think it's actually illegal in the US.

..Drugs are also illegal but it still doesn’t stop their trade (:naughty: ) ..

This is not to say that I believe payola is happening ( how would I know, anyway :dunno:) but I am absolutely sure that there are several direct and indirect ways by which record companies can influnce the music played on the radio, despite the fact that radio stations do need to play music that attracts the maximim number of listeners from their target group to secure their advertising revenue.

Of course no record company would prevent an artist from getting as much media exposure as they can. However, as resource is limited, I am pretty sure that there is a priority list, based on the predicted commercial success of an album. What I mean is that if a ’big name’ from the same record company releases an album at the same time as other artists with less expected sales, the promotional focus of the record label will be on the albums from which the most return is expected. And this promotional push, I believe, can take all forms.

However, it is not to say that Mika did not get enough support from Universal first time round. I think they probably did all they could but something was missing.... And I think the thing missing was that ’the masses’ in the US just "don’t get" him (:emot-sad:) and I don’t think it will change unless he gets an unlikely exposure ’out of context’ like having a song played in the right place in a blockbuster movie or the "teenage dreams teenage circus" chorus featured in several random projects (maybe even in advertisements) winning over millions of American teenagers who will then buy the album and decide for themselves if they like the rest of the songs or not. In fact, I think WAG has the best chance of starting off his career in the US as it works for both who get the meaning of it as well as for those who don’t...:cool:... but it still needs extra support to reach people.

Edited by suzie

I think it's something of a double-edged sword though. It's obvious Perez really loves Mika and his music, but many of the people who go onto his site are complete morons. The comments are really hateful. I don't like going onto Perez's site because of this. If I do, I always leave a positive comment about Mika, hoping to balence all the terrible things people say.

..Drugs are also illegal but it still doesn’t stop their trade (:naughty: ) ..

Well yes it does generally stop large American corporations like Universal from trading drugs or bribing employees of other corporations to break federal laws as a matter of policy. I'm sure they have very strict internal rules against such things and I can't imagine where an individual employee would get the money to go around buying people off and why they would risk their career and possibly their freedom to do so.

Every Christmas I get at least a dozen letters from our Fortune 500 clients telling me not to send so much as a box of chocolates to any of their employees or we'd be jeopardizing their job and our relationship. The kind of unethical behaviour you're talking about is totally unacceptable in corporate America.

This is not to say that I believe payola is happening ( how would I know, anyway :dunno:) but I am absolutely sure that there are several direct and indirect ways by which record companies can influnce the music played on the radio, despite the fact that radio stations do need to play music that attracts the maximim number of listeners from their target group to secure their advertising revenue.

There are people whose sole function it is to promote the product to radio so it is their job to find ways to influence. But every record company wants every artist to get airplay just like every political candidate wants to get elected to office. But some are going to win and others are going to lose no matter how much effort they put into campaigning.

He could also try a bit of R&B or rap himself and make a video with girls wearing no clothes. That would work, no? :teehee:

Yep, I'm thinking that's whe way he should go. :roftl:

I agree that it was easily the most US radio-friendly, typical middle-of the-road song that could have been a relatively easy win in the States in 2007. The problem with it is that it is not a 'Mika song'. It's a song that suits anyone at any time, any decade and could as well have been recorded by Robbie Williams, Kelly Clarkson or Bon Jovi...:cool:... absolutely no uniqueness in the song itself..

So, although I do understand what you say and 'sales-wise' I agree, ( I think I actually posted the same opinion on MS 2 yrs ago) but of course Mika does not need to make such compromises as he is not just any artist off the conveyor belt..

Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at - that it would have done well "sales-wise". But I also agree that the construction of Erase doesn't sound very "Mika", and I wonder if that is, in part, why he seems to have shunned it - I don't think I've ever heard of him playing it live.

And funny you should mention Bon Jovi - didn't Desmond Child (one of the "Erase" co-writers) pen, like, four zillion songs for Bon Jovi? :naughty:

Every Christmas I get at least a dozen letters from our Fortune 500 clients telling me not to send so much as a box of chocolates to any of their employees or we'd be jeopardizing their job and our relationship. The kind of unethical behaviour you're talking about is totally unacceptable in corporate America.

It is unacceptable here as well, at multinational companies:wink2:

Some of them send back our Xmas gifts even if it's only a mouse pad:blink: - and we are a multinational, too.

Anyway, I referred to that comment as a starting point for what I wanted to write later (vague connection only, I know)..I think there must be different practices at radio stations concerning the creation of their playlist - it must be different by country, by state, by ownership, by the profile of the station..etc. I am sure the biggest ones are under tight control and small ones might be given more freedom to play whatever they want.

Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at - that it would have done well "sales-wise". But I also agree that the construction of Erase doesn't sound very "Mika", and I wonder if that is, in part, why he seems to have shunned it - I don't think I've ever heard of him playing it live.

And funny you should mention Bon Jovi - didn't Desmond Child (one of the "Erase" co-writers) pen, like, four zillion songs for Bon Jovi? :naughty:

Yes, DC wrote songs for BJ as well as KC and RW. I mentioned Robbie Williams because back in 2007 many people (inlcuding me) said that it sounded like a 'Robbie Williams' song... I think what some of us felt was that in Europe Robbie's most well-known songs represent the DC type of songs we are referring to... Nice ones but it's like 'you hear one - you hear them all'. Really gets boring after a while ...to me at least :cool:

Edited by suzie

• 3 weeks later...