BBC Review - Mika - The Boy Who Knew Too Much

Fresh

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviews are interesting, but they are someone else's point of view.

I like to read them, but don't much care what they say. Of course it's nice to read good ones, but I have my own opinion and nothing a reviewer can say will change that.

It may influence people who aren't great fans in some way, but that's life.

Same with me - my opinion never changes after reading reviews but I do like to read them if they analyse the music itself. He obviously has different taste than me (to begin with, Touches You is my least favourite track whilst it is one of his favourites).

However, it does bother me when someone at an established paper / in the media whose job is to write professional music reviews comes up with arguments like ..."he needs to find a balance" .... because "he will attract vitriol...":blink:

This is a sales argument. I'd understand if Mika's record company gave him this advise (which he obviously would never take) but a reviewer?

Also, is he really worried about people not listening to the album because it is too complex and his audience might not understand songs written in different styles?:blink: To me, this actually sounds like an argument that derives from the reviewer’s fear that should he admit he likes this polarised musical world of Mika, he is risking being laughed at as such complexity does not fit into mainstream thinking. :cool:

Suzie, the only audience for this kind of thing are morons. I'm not being flippant or just trying to get on someone's case because they are not giving Mika high praise.

But seriously, in the time it takes to read an article you can easily preview music on the internet. There is no reason to filter the music through someone else's ears unless you are completely incapable of thinking for yourself and forming your own opinions. Even a 3-year-old can listen to a music clip and decide whether they like it or not. It's not exactly an exercise in high intellect.

Mika tweeted about The Cribs this morning. Do you think I took his word for it even though there is a greater than random chance I will like what he likes? No. I listened to it first. And then I pronounced it sh*te. :lmfao:

Music critics are totally obsolete and you're right that this reviewer appears to be more concerned with what his peers think of his opinions than anything to do with Mika's music.

Thank you for the words of encouragement, Christine.

Logically I know that it makes no sense even to read these, let alone to reflect on them, but sometimes my 19-year old rebellious me comes out and I start throwing stones at people who are in a position (as opinion leaders) they should not be. I know my stones never reach them but I feel relieved when I have done so...:naughty:

So, I am happy now.:teehee:

The problem with the BBC is, they are still a load of toffee-nosed idiots. Let's face it, the concert I saw in Blackpool last week was brilliant, all the acts were great, and Mika was unbelievably awesome and had the crowd eating out of his hands. The BBC filmed the concert, and then stuck it on 'the red button' and cut most of the performances out, and did that without advertising it, or putting it on BBC1 or BBC2!

Yet they will always air 'The Last Night of the Proms', which I know many people do like, but that's not the point. They should air the pop concerts they record, as well!

The BBC filmed the concert, and then stuck it on 'the red button' and cut most of the performances out, and did that without advertising it, or putting it on BBC1 or BBC2!

Perhaps they will air it later?...:blink:...around Xmas maybe?

I see absolutely no point in financing a concert and leaving footage to waste.

There have been a fair few reviews now , the one that still stands out for me , obviously I am an obsessed Mika fan and he takes up my every waking and sleeping moment is Q magazine , I thought they had it spot in pretty much:thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello:

The editor :wub2: Mika :teehee:

The problem with the BBC is, they are still a load of toffee-nosed idiots. Let's face it, the concert I saw in Blackpool last week was brilliant, all the acts were great, and Mika was unbelievably awesome and had the crowd eating out of his hands. The BBC filmed the concert, and then stuck it on 'the red button' and cut most of the performances out, and did that without advertising it, or putting it on BBC1 or BBC2!

Yet they will always air 'The Last Night of the Proms', which I know many people do like, but that's not the point. They should air the pop concerts they record, as well!

It was a BBC Radio 2 event, not a BBC One or BBC Two event. They'd never broadcast something like that on BBC One, it just simply isn't the type of programming BBC One would show, and isn't the type of programming it's viewership expect. I've seen an advert for it being on the Red Button, and I've heard the continuity announcer mention it, I also think it was/is the top option when you press the Red Button on any BBC channel. The performances were also put onto the BBC Radio 2 website, which is where I viewed them.

The Proms fits with the target audience of BBC One/Two. Pop concerts are more suited to BBC Three if anything.

:)

Edited by Fresh