The King's Singers Thread

suzie

The King’s singers have already been mentioned on a couple of threads but I think they deserve their own thread here because

1., when they were formed in the late 60s they made history by combining classical and popular music and using both established choral singing techniques as well as new vocal methods :thumb_yello:

2., they recorded ‘By The Time’ for their new CD due for release early next year :kachinga:

3., will perform several songs with Mika in on 18th November :woot_jump:

:Update:

10 / 11 / 2009 - Mika: KS are 'Fearless' - (read new post below)

I think you might want to post some of your favourite pieces from them here. Let me start with mine:

From 1982: Barber of Seville Overture

They were one of my favourite musical acts in the eighties when I was still at primary school. This is a video from a much earlier line-up I absolutely adored :pinkbow:

from 2008: Esti Dal

and here is a song from a more recent line-up – sorry for biased choice of music (:teehee:)

If you like this thread it would be great to discuss what songs and how we would like them to perform in 10 days’ time...:blush-anim-cl:

Edited by suzie

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought Volume one (ie the first half) of their 10th anniversary concert on LP (that's a Long Playing vinyl record :roftl:) in 1977 :biggrin2:. It has a piece called Lalela Zulu, but I can't find it free :sad:

I posted this in Goldlings the other night, but no0one cared (I think they were all asleep :teehee:)

I couldn't find these anywhere :sad:

apart from download from amazon here :thumb_yello: it's called Lalela Zulu - there are 6 tracks, repeated here for different recordings.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=lalela+zulu&x=0&y=0

you can listen to the previews for free - this is one of the pieces sung by the Kings Singers that I really like and I have it on LP. It's in the Zulu language and was specially written for them :biggrin2:

This is good too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnxgOSIofMg&feature=PlayList&p=8F53EC411D874E0D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8

I've sung this with my friends :original:

I'm feeling more optimistic now:biggrin2:

3., will perform several songs with Mika in on 18th November :woot_jump:

Are you sure about this?

It's not just performing on the same stage at the same night?:blink:

I’m starting to feel really sad about not being able to come to this concert!:emot-sad:

I posted this in Goldlings the other night, but no0one cared (I think they were all asleep :teehee:)...

This is good too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnxgO...rom=PL&index=8

Yes, madrigals written for several voices sound beautiful if sang by the right people and int he right place - I wouldn't mind some warm up songs like this by them at the Union Chapel..:blush-anim-cl:

Are you sure about this?

Yes, I am sure. :wink2: The guys confirmed it.

"Mika is a superb performer, and we are really looking forward to singing many of his new songs in acoustic versions arranged by Philip Lawson."

(Philip Lawson is one of the baritones of the group and is usually responsible for the vocal arrangements.)

I’m starting to feel really sad about not being able to come to this concert!:emot-sad:

:huglove:

Are you sure about this?

Mika hasconfirmed it too in a two tweets

"I'm listening to the first mockups by the King's Singers for our Union Chapel gig in London on the 18th, & I'm speechless, utterly beautiful"

"If you don't know them yet, CHECK THIS OUT http://tinyurl.com/ylrobb5 We're doing a gig together on the 18th of Nov @ union chapel AMAZING"

Yes, madrigals written for several voices sound beautiful if sang by the right people and int he right place - I wouldn't mind some warm up songs like this by them at the Union Chapel..:blush-anim-cl:

Yes, I am sure. :wink2: The guys confirmed it.

"Mika is a superb performer, and we are really looking forward to singing many of his new songs in acoustic versions arranged by Philip Lawson."

(Philip Lawson is one of the baritones of the group and is usually responsible for the vocal arrangements.)

:huglove:

Mika hasconfirmed it too in a two tweets

"I'm listening to the first mockups by the King's Singers for our Union Chapel gig in London on the 18th, & I'm speechless, utterly beautiful"

"If you don't know them yet, CHECK THIS OUT http://tinyurl.com/ylrobb5 We're doing a gig together on the 18th of Nov @ union chapel AMAZING"

Sigh!:sad:

I'm sure it will be amazing!:wub2:

10 / 11 / 2009 - Mika: KS are 'Fearless'

On 18 November, we will be performing with singer-songwriter Mika for Mencap's Little Noise Sessions and we’re really looking forward to it. When asked recently about our collaboration he said:

“The KS are great because they’re fearless. They sing whatever they want to sing regardless of what the establishment says because it’s good music, they love singing it, and they sing it so incredibly well. It doesn’t matter whether it’s Stockhausen or my material. Kurt Weill said that there was no difference between serious music and light music, only that there was good music and bad music – and that’s exactly the approach I share with the King’s Singers.

I first heard them on Radio 3 when I was at school and I was blown away. I used to sing their arrangements in choir and now I play their tracks into the auditorium before my gigs. They’ve covered one of my songs for their new album and we’re going to perform together a cappella for Mencap’s Little Noise Sessions at Union Chapel on the 18th of November.”

Source:

http://www.kingssingers.com/news.php?nid=137

10 / 11 / 2009 - Mika: KS are 'Fearless'

On 18 November, we will be performing with singer-songwriter Mika for Mencap's Little Noise Sessions and we’re really looking forward to it. When asked recently about our collaboration he said:

“The KS are great because they’re fearless. They sing whatever they want to sing regardless of what the establishment says because it’s good music, they love singing it, and they sing it so incredibly well. It doesn’t matter whether it’s Stockhausen or my material. Kurt Weill said that there was no difference between serious music and light music, only that there was good music and bad music – and that’s exactly the approach I share with the King’s Singers.

I first heard them on Radio 3 when I was at school and I was blown away. I used to sing their arrangements in choir and now I play their tracks into the auditorium before my gigs. They’ve covered one of my songs for their new album and we’re going to perform together a cappella for Mencap’s Little Noise Sessions at Union Chapel on the 18th of November.”

Source:

http://www.kingssingers.com/news.php?nid=137

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

I must admit I'm not exactly a fan. There are many similar concepts from all over the world.. il divo.. the ten tenors, we even have something like it here, I think they call themselves

, what they do ist the same, just preferably with topical German pop songs. It doesn't sound bad, even though it's nothing I'd like to listen to over and over, except maybe for Christmas or something. Well, at least those guys don't look like they're suffering from constant pain while singing (like the King singers do). Little Noise will be very interesting. :roftl:

I must admit I'm not exactly a fan. There are many similar concepts from all over the world.. il divo.. the ten tenors, we even have something like it here, I think they call themselves
, what they do ist the same, just preferably with topical German pop songs. It doesn't sound bad, even though it's nothing I'd like to listen to over and over, except maybe for Christmas or something. Well, at least those guys don't look like they're suffering from constant pain while singing (like the King singers do). Little Noise will be very interesting. :roftl:

The acts you mention are lightweights - they can't do serious classical music the way it should be done - only watered-down "easy-listening" versions :puke:

KSs are very clever musicians and the group has been doing it for over 40 years - they started at a time when such crossovers were completely unheard of. If Mika has to work with a classically-trained a capella group, then this is the best there is by miles - and Mika knows it :biggrin2:

The acts you mention are lightweights - they can't do serious classical music the way it should be done - only watered-down "easy-listening" versions :puke:

KSs are very clever musicians and the group has been doing it for over 40 years - they started at a time when such crossovers were completely unheard of. If Mika has to work with a classically-trained a capella group, then this is the best there is by miles - and Mika knows it :biggrin2:

Yeah, well, I have no doubt it's elaborate and very classical. Still I don't automatically like things just because they are highbrow. I would have to pretend. :naughty:

I just wonder how they will fit into a Mika gig. I do have my doubts about that. But we will see.

I must admit I'm not exactly a fan. There are many similar concepts from all over the world.. il divo.. the ten tenors, we even have something like it here

Well, we also have a capella goups here. That's why I highlighted that the King's Singers paved the way to similar a capella groups all over the world...

However, the one you mentioned is some guys singing cheesy music in a cheesy way - and not even a capella. I loathe those.:cool: ( and they often even mime, too, on tv shows:shocked:)

The King's Singers are different and the concept is that they sing (either in a classical way or by imitating different instruments) the INSTRUMENTAL part, too.

Well, at least those guys don't look like they're suffering from constant pain while singing (like the King singers do). Little Noise will be very interesting. :roftl:

Well, they have been trained to sing like that -they need to make sure the sound comes out at the perfect height, puctuation and stays for the right length...etc. I think the King's Singers actually use rather humorous facial expressions occassionally to show they are actually having fun when doing this..:wink2:

Exactly:thumb_yello:

Yeah, well, I have no doubt it's elaborate and very classical. Still I don't automatically like things just because they are highbrow. I would have to pretend. :naughty:.

We are all different but I was around 8 when I first saw them on tv and I loved them immediately:blush-anim-cl: (true I was receiving classical music training in a high dosage at that age:teehee:)

I just wonder how they will fit into a Mika gig. I do have my doubts about that. But we will see.

They will 'simply' SING the instruments ( so no f**k ups on the keyboard:naughty:)

Yes it will be great, you'll see!!!! :shun:

:biggrin2:

Edited by suzie

Probably. I better shut up now, I have a feeling that I might have to eat my words :lmfao:

:roftl:

No, feel free to discuss, please... You haven't said anything offensive, you simply don't like them - yet. :naughty:

I love exchanging thoughts ...:wink2:

Yeah, well, I have no doubt it's elaborate and very classical. Still I don't automatically like things just because they are highbrow. I would have to pretend. :naughty:

I have my doubts too :naughty: I don't like crossovers much - I like the KSs when they are doing classical, I'm not keen when they do the more popular stuff - I don't think the styles mix well. But I am intrigued by this gig, so I'm glad I'm going :thumb_yello:

Paul has been Mikafied... :naughty:

Read his blog entry from 11th November:

'Lady Jane, the river saint, special yes, but lucky ain't'.

The first words that came into my head this morning, and at various times during a fitful night's sleep were those written above, and other combinations, similar yet somehow intertwined with strange dreams about driving, flying and Wiz the dog. This is what happens when you're trying your very hardest to memorise the words and music of the 8 songs which as you may know, we'll be performing with Mika, next week.

Its amazing how the human mind processes information, and puts it all in order, even whilst you're fast asleep. (Although quite what 'Wiz', my 8 month old puppy was doing in there, I have no idea!)

Another blog written in the back of a van this morning, on our way to GSP (I'm enjoying this game!) and ending up in Fort Myers, Florida, for our Veteran's Day concert, for the 'Wounded Warrior' - a worthy support organisation for US military and ex-military personnel.

The weather however is very 'un-Florida-like' - wind, rain and cool air - the remnants of tropical storm 'Ida' which unfortunately we have to fly through.

Oh well, 'When it rain and rain and rain and rains, more than this, baby, I hate days like this!' (Sorry, just some more 'Mika' lyrics passing through!!) “

Source: http://www.kingssingers.com/friends/blog.php?nid=199

( :teehee: )

The first words that came into my head this morning, and at various times during a fitful night's sleep were those written above, and other combinations, similar yet somehow intertwined with strange dreams about driving, flying and Wiz the dog. This is what happens when you're trying your very hardest to memorise the words and music of the 8 songs which as you may know, we'll be performing with Mika, next week.

Its amazing how the human mind processes information, and puts it all in order, even whilst you're fast asleep. (Although quite what 'Wiz', my 8 month old puppy was doing in there, I have no idea!)

Another blog written in the back of a van this morning, on our way to GSP (I'm enjoying this game!) and ending up in Fort Myers, Florida, for our Veteran's Day concert, for the 'Wounded Warrior' - a worthy support organisation for US military and ex-military personnel.

The weather however is very 'un-Florida-like' - wind, rain and cool air - the remnants of tropical storm 'Ida' which unfortunately we have to fly through.

Oh well, 'When it rain and rain and rain and rains, more than this, baby, I hate days like this!' (Sorry, just some more 'Mika' lyrics passing through!!) “

This is sweet, thanks for posting this!! :biggrin2: I was very relieved to read that they are going to sing 8 songs, that's more than I was hoping. And Lady Jane!!!! :wub2:

This is sweet, thanks for posting this!! :biggrin2: I was very relieved to read that they are going to sing 8 songs, that's more than I was hoping. And Lady Jane!!!! :wub2:

:shocked: 8 songs :shocked:

At least we know they are taking it all seriously :thumb_yello:

I'm glad I'm going - I'm so curious :blush-anim-cl:

Seriously keeping my fingers crossed for I See You, he's sung it everywhere else, and I think KS will do it justice!

I used to listen to them on R2 on Sunday nights, on a show called Sing Something Simple, they sang all sorts of things, from classical to songs of the time. Used to love it, so pure and clear.

Thanks for posting but at some time I have to stop reading this thread, it will be my death!:aah:

Can you die of envy?:boxed:

:naughty:

:shocked: 8 songs :shocked:

At least we know they are taking it all seriously :thumb_yello:

I'm glad I'm going - I'm so curious :blush-anim-cl:

I'm happy for you too, have fun and please bring some recording gizmo!:naughty:

I cathatn honestly say that I'd never heard of the KS before I saw them added to the line up for Wednesday and if you'd described them too me I would have not been excited, having listened to them I'm stunned by their talent. I'm looking forwards to what I'm sure will not only be an amazing gig but something really unique!

• 6 months later...