'Mika fits the Freddie Mercury prototype like a glove'-an article about Adam Lambert

robertina

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can I make your day too,Robertina??:teehee: The name " Adam Lambert" does not tell me anything. I know only Christopher Lambert...

Yep, me too. Because of Queen I watched the Highlander.

:roftl:

I was going to say: "Question of the Day:thumb_yello:"

:roftl:

Add me. I had no idea about who's this Lambert is until today - I decided to watch who's that in YouTube.

As for Mika and Freddie. The first time I saw GK I saw "Freddie" :blush-anim-cl: And I started to listen to Mika only because of being a Queen fan.

But now - I can't see nothing in common, really (maybe except Loverboy, which reminds me of Your'e My Best Friend and Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy). I stopped comparing them after I looked closer at Mika.

Very nice little paragraph about Mika, thanks :thumb_yello:

I had only heard about Adam Lambert through the MFC, a few months ago, but never heard his name anywhere in France...

TBH I'm quite happy us French are more obsessed with Mika than this Lambert guy :teehee:

They don't play Mika because he might be gay, but they play Adam Lamber who is gay? :blink:

that's only the case for some, for my radio station it's because of where he stands in the charts, nowhere to be found, atleast not in South Carolina.. but yes, I have seen in some places that, yet Adam Lambert is a mainstream artist here, I don't get it either :dunno:

that's only the case for some, for my radio station it's because of where he stands in the charts, nowhere to be found, atleast not in South Carolina.. but yes, I have seen in some places that, yet Adam Lambert is a mainstream artist here, I don't get it either :dunno:

Mika doesn't fit in the "American Dream" scenario... too independant, too toughtful, too european:mf_rosetinted:

From the mouth of Adam Lambert:

Other things CAMP: Mika. Scissor Sisters. Gaga. My FYE album cover... lol. None of them to be taken too seriously... until they want to be.

@katydid1994 (from MFC...this tweet was about a year ago): @adamlambert what do you think of Mika’s new single, we are golden?

It’s really different- I like!! The video is infectious

Quite sure they have heard of each other :teehee:

From the mouth of Adam Lambert:

Other things CAMP: Mika. Scissor Sisters. Gaga. My FYE album cover... lol. None of them to be taken too seriously... until they want to be.

@katydid1994 (from MFC...this tweet was about a year ago): @adamlambert what do you think of Mika’s new single, we are golden?

It’s really different- I like!! The video is infectious

Quite sure they have heard of each other :teehee:

thanks for the info :huglove:

I like this boy :naughty:

Whether or not Adam is mainstream, and Mika isn't, I wouldn't want Mika to change even one curly hair, in order to be more commercial. We love Mika because he IS different and I hope he always stays the way he is.

Maybe, as I mentioned before, random readers of the article may have decided to find out who Mika is, just as some on this thread have looked up AL because they had never heard of him before.

The internet is a very powerful tool, and I think it's important to get Mika's name and videos (if possible) out there.

Things like the twitter events are okay, but it might be a good idea to use a trend whenever we tweet, like #MIKA, or something like that. The aim should be to get people curious. If radio won't help, maybe the internet can.

We have two promotion threads on here, one for undiscovered countries and one for the UK. Maybe there should also be one for The States, but those threads are for ideas of how we could get together to promote Mika in our countries.

BTW Kick-Ass (the movie) is out on Monday in the UK. Maybe that could be a platform for a trend, maybe resurrect #mikakicksass or something else. I might go on some threads and see what peeps think.

Whether or not Adam is mainstream, and Mika isn't, I wouldn't want Mika to change even one curly hair, in order to be more commercial. We love Mika because he IS different and I hope he always stays the way he is.

Maybe, as I mentioned before, random readers of the article may have decided to find out who Mika is, just as some on this thread have looked up AL because they had never heard of him before.

The internet is a very powerful tool, and I think it's important to get Mika's name and videos (if possible) out there.

Things like the twitter events are okay, but it might be a good idea to use a trend whenever we tweet, like #MIKA, or something like that. The aim should be to get people curious. If radio won't help, maybe the internet can.

We have two promotion threads on here, one for undiscovered countries and one for the UK. Maybe there should also be one for The States, but those threads are for ideas of how we could get together to promote Mika in our countries.

BTW Kick-Ass (the movie) is out on Monday in the UK. Maybe that could be a platform for a trend, maybe resurrect #mikakicksass or something else. I might go on some threads and see what peeps think.

That's a great idea!:thumb_yello:

That's a great idea!:thumb_yello:

I notice on the adds for Kick-Ass, they are NOT playing Mika's song! Typical!! But it is on there!

I think, if we go on twitter, or anywhere else and talk about the song, it might get peeps curious.

We could all go onto the official Mika vid and play it lots of times. We could have another Twitter event and use #mikakicksass.

And I would suggest that a US fan gets a US promotion thread up and running for the United States fans to get organised and mobilised and raise some Mika awareness in their country.

I notice on the adds for Kick-Ass, they are NOT playing Mika's song! Typical!! But it is on there!

I think, if we go on twitter, or anywhere else and talk about the song, it might get peeps curious.

We could all go onto the official Mika vid and play it lots of times. We could have another Twitter event and use #mikakicksass.

And I would suggest that a US fan gets a US promotion thread up and running for the United States fans to get organised and mobilised and raise some Mika awareness in their country.

Well, I've done a bit of promotion here, but I couldn't devote myself to it because of school.. Last week I paid to get Mika played in a diner in a city with a population of.. 123,000 as an estimate.. the people seemed to like it I think. :biggrin2:

Yesterday, GK started playing in the restaurant I was in.. it made me extremely happy and I sung along so maybe the people around me would think "Hey, I should look up this song"? :fisch:

I wear my Mika shirt as much as possible, I wore it around NYC, I pretty much wear it every time I go to a large city with lots of people. :naughty: and to school..

should I make posters?? :teehee: Mika's not the one who needs to change, it's the radio listeners who need their music taste changed. :naughty:

Well, I've done a bit of promotion here, but I couldn't devote myself to it because of school.. Last week I paid to get Mika played in a diner in a city with a population of.. 123,000 as an estimate.. the people seemed to like it I think. :biggrin2:

Yesterday, GK started playing in the restaurant I was in.. it made me extremely happy and I sung along so maybe the people around me would think "Hey, I should look up this song"? :fisch:

I wear my Mika shirt as much as possible, I wore it around NYC, I pretty much wear it every time I go to a large city with lots of people. :naughty: and to school..

should I make posters?? :teehee: Mika's not the one who needs to change, it's the radio listeners who need their music taste changed. :naughty:

this is sooooooooooo true......

You've done really well. It's the DJs who play the music that need to change. It's getting the same way in Britain. Rain, BIOTG and Kick-Ass only got as high as 72, I blame this on the fact that the radio stations which are listened to by young people, never even had Mika's songs on their playlists. They were too busy playing all of the twaddle that passes for songs these days.

Radio 2 played Kick-Ass, but the peeps who listen to the likes of Terry Wogan are older people who don't download singles to their MP3 players, because often they don't even know what an MP3 player is!

But it probably comes back to what this thread has been saying, that Mika's songs are too different and not so mainstream. But I have to say, if I hear one more song about

"dancing in a club till dawn under the strobe lights, getting so drunk she forgets where she is, but the party don't stop." I'm gonna screeeeaaaaaaam

You've done really well. It's the DJs who play the music that need to change. It's getting the same way in Britain. Rain, BIOTG and Kick-Ass only got as high as 72, I blame this on the fact that the radio stations which are listened to by young people, never even had Mika's songs on their playlists. They were too busy playing all of the twaddle that passes for songs these days.

Radio 2 played Kick-Ass, but the peeps who listen to the likes of Terry Wogan are older people who don't download singles to their MP3 players, because often they don't even know what an MP3 player is!

But it probably comes back to what this thread has been saying, that Mika's songs are too different and not so mainstream. But I have to say, if I hear one more song about

"dancing in a club till dawn under the strobe lights, getting so drunk she forgets where she is, but the party don't stop." I'm gonna screeeeaaaaaaam

Mika is unique as we all think and that's why we love him him from the begining. It's very hard to educate someone's music taste and personally I think his music even though marked as a pure pop isn't so simple to follow.

That's because he combines different musical traditions and doesn't fit into the expected pattern. I think most of the people hasn't been prepared for someone like him. That's why I don't like comparation with Mercury who was quite different type of artist IMO. (apart from their vocal abillities).:wink2:

When he performed at Exit in my country a lot of people said that he didn't remind them of anyone but goes his own artistic path. That's the most beautiful compliment he could have get.

There are a lot of male fans here in Serbia who appreciate his appearence and music as well which is a very good sign. And his East European tour proved that fact.:thumb_yello:

Mika is unique as we all think and that's why we love him from the begining. It's very hard to educate someone's music taste and personally I think his music even though marked as a pure pop isn't so simple to follow.

I fully agree with this part.

That's because he combines different musical traditions and doesn't fit into the expected pattern. I think most of the people hasn't been prepared for someone like him. That's why I don't like comparation with Mercury who was quite different type of artist IMO. (apart from their vocal abillities).:wink2:

Like you said, it is difficult and useless to try to make people 'understand' artists the same way we do. Many Queen fans are appalled by the mere comparison of Mika to Freddie Mercury, whilst others simply 'feel' it and it is not the vocals at all. Mika is good at imitating other people's vocals (and even songwriting styles :teehee: )

It is the way they approach music, performance and art as well as their career. Freddie Mercury at the same age as Mika is now was not the masculine looking performer with a slightly husky voice singing rock anthems to tens of thousands of people (the rock anthems were written by Brian May, anyway).

By age 25 Freddie wrote songs like Killer Queen, Seven Seas of Rye and Lily of the Valley and was only beginning to experiment with the choral and operatic sound in some other songs that he later on managed to improve to perfection in Bohemian Rhapsody that he wrote only aged 28 or so.

There is no way people who are only familiar with Queen Greatest Hits I II and III and have not paid much attention to / have no skills in understanding songwriting styles to understand why some people insinctively say FM :shock: when they hear Mika

(Having read biographies and stories about how Freddie presented himself when he was young and what ideas he had for shows that the other members simply gave a thumb down to also helps, I guess. :wink2: )

Anyway, I don't expect anyone to understand this as we all have different lenses through which we see things - just thought I'd share my own feelings about this. Besides, Freddie Mercury would be 64 today... :sad:

i’m sorry to tell Lambert that Brit pop singer Mika fits the Freddie Mercury prototype like a glove, much more than Lambert does.

I don't understand the all article but it's kinda weird to read this: "a Freddie Mercury prototype"... a prototype ? :blink: It's sounds very science fiction stuff there, don't know if Freddie thought that he could finish like a model for prototype of prototype anyway... I don't know also why people who write articles say: the "bisexual" or the "gay" artist, it just as stupid as to read "the heterosexual" artist blah blah... why people must be only defined by their sexuality ?...

I fully agree with this part.

Like you said, it is difficult and useless to try to make people 'understand' artists the same way we do. Many Queen fans are appalled by the mere comparison of Mika to Freddie Mercury, whilst others simply 'feel' it and it is not the vocals at all. Mika is good at imitating other people's vocals (and even songwriting styles :teehee: )

It is the way they approach music, performance and art as well as their career. Freddie Mercury at the same age as Mika is now was not the masculine looking performer with a slightly husky voice singing rock anthems to tens of thousands of people (the rock anthems were written by Brian May, anyway).

By age 25 Freddie wrote songs like Killer Queen, Seven Seas of Rye and Lily of the Valley and was only beginning to experiment with the choral and operatic sound in some other songs that he later on managed to improve to perfection in Bohemian Rhapsody that he wrote only aged 28 or so.

There is no way people who are only familiar with Queen Greatest Hits I II and III and have not paid much attention to / have no skills in understanding songwriting styles to understand why some people insinctively say FM :shock: when they hear Mika

(Having read biographies and stories about how Freddie presented himself when he was young and what ideas he had for shows that the other members simply gave a thumb down to also helps, I guess. :wink2: )

Anyway, I don't expect anyone to understand this as we all have different lenses through which we see things - just thought I'd share my own feelings about this. Besides, Freddie Mercury would be 64 today... :sad:

I agree with the fact that their approach to the music and performance aesthetic from the early Queen period was similar but Freddie was the frontman of the rock band whose all members were incredibly talented and achieved so much as he did.

On the other hand Mika is a solo singer of a different genre

and his voice affects us in another way, I'd say more gentle. :wink2:

I don't understand the all article but it's kinda weird to read this: "a Freddie Mercury prototype"... a prototype ? :blink: It's sounds very science fiction stuff there, don't know if Freddie thought that he could finish like a model for prototype of prototype anyway... I don't know also why people who write articles say: the "bisexual" or the "gay" artist, it just as stupid as to read "the heterosexual" artist blah blah... why people must be only defined by their sexuality ?...

Yes, that reminds me of some kind of a special musical genre which is boring and not smart at all.:aah:

Interesting article... not sure I'd compare Adam Lambert to Freddie Mercury though, I always thought he was a bit of a douche... :dunno:

The one thing that struck me immediately is that he comes across like a proper '80s rock star. But I would liken him to Steven Tyler from Aerosmith or even Boy George rather than Freddie Mercury.

Haven't really taken much notice of Steve Tyler, but now that you mention it, he does seem like Boy George...

Can I make your day too,Robertina??:teehee: The name " Adam Lambert" does not tell me anything. I know only Christopher Lambert...

:lmfao::bow:

You made my day Lena...

You can be right about teenage obsession with dark, weird and gothic and what the mentioned singers and artists could represent for the wide audience. But what about Katy Perry for instance? She's some "ice cream" type of poppete who actually "borrowed" the title from her new album "Teenage dream" from Mika.

There's one important marketing thing about Lambert who is genuinely very good singer but a smart guy at the same time.

Recently I've read an article about great celebs and bands who are fascinated by him and wrote a couple of songs for him: Gaga, Pink, Muse, etc. He has the same producer as Mika - Greg Wells. What's the difference between them? Lambert's CD is much more main stream musically and lyrically and his vids are pretty simple and not so provocative like Gaga's and even not like WAG.:wink2:

But he's ready to do literally everything to gain the audience and that was GaGa sugested him: Be totally weird and you'll get attention. And he did it.Like she did.

I've been watching some TV show where some editors of American Idol were totally shocked when heard him being a gay. But despite that fact he made a great success even in my country quite opposite to Mika. He's concidered as a cool guy and young people love his look.

Mika is maybe too theatrical and "wagnerian", more complex in his artistic ambitions to be accepted easily. He doesn't fit in the main stream scene. Not to mention how some critics still hate his falsetto.:aah:

Interesting how you mention Katy Perry... Every time the radio people mention her album or the song, I think of Mika...

Tell me about it... I've taken to listening to the radio in the car every day (1 hour all up) and all it seems to be here is Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, occasionally Ke$ha, Flo Rida, Usher or Eminem. Unfortunately, there is no way to request music on my local radio station because it's mostly radio shows played from Sydney, and any other shows they have don't actually allow you to call up and request anything. The crap music they play every day is the exact reason I gave up on listening to the radio.

Seeing as Mika was discovered on the internet, why not push his music on the internet as well as radio?

Mika is unique as we all think and that's why we love him him from the begining. It's very hard to educate someone's music taste and personally I think his music even though marked as a pure pop isn't so simple to follow.

When he performed at Exit in my country a lot of people said that he didn't remind them of anyone but goes his own artistic path. That's the most beautiful compliment he could have get.

There are a lot of male fans here in Serbia who appreciate his appearence and music as well which is a very good sign. And his East European tour proved that fact.:thumb_yello:

I agree with you. Tbh I'm sick of the Freddie comparison and it is getting really tired. I can understand why die-hard Freddie fans hate the comparison, it's just like if a new male singer came along, marketed as the new Mika. we would be angry as well.

But yes, Mika does have this uncanny ability to surprise us all with his songwriting skills, and nothing with Mika is ever the same. I do think the FM comparison is gradually fading away, and we are getting more reviews where the only comparison made, is a general comparison with the great legends, in the sense that they realise Mika is on his way to becomming a legend too. That's the kind of review I love to read.

Archived