kath

MFC 5th Anniversary - January 2012

2,531 posts in this topic

Thank you, you both -- and balloons would be also 'mika-ish'.

ha, it's exciting to make plans for this anniversairy, and also totally crazy to start one year in advance with thoughts about it :cheerful_h4h:

We wanted people to have lots of notice, so that they had time to sort out time off from work or book holidays etc. And it gives time for each country to think about what they want to do and book venues early.

These are my first musings, you must understand, but I was wondering if there was something everyone could do and each country could post pics of in turn - starting with Australia (in the same way each country sets off fireworks at the start of the New Year). Just can't decide what it should be. A flashmob? Singing a birthday song? :dunno:

You see, that is exactly why you are a world leader..........it's the quality of your ideas :thumb_yello::thumb_yello: No, seriously, I think it's a great idea and I think that Faballa has hit the nail on the head with the balloons. :biggrin2:

Thank you, you both -- and balloons would be also 'mika-ish'.

ha, it's exciting to make plans for this anniversairy, and also totally crazy to start one year in advance with thoughts about it :cheerful_h4h:

It is exciting isn't it. :biggrin2: And as Silver says below, things really do need to be booked early so there was no point in leaving it until a couple of months before the event and finding that we couldn't get what we wanted. And we really do want as many people as possible to be involved so lots of notice was definately needed.

We wanted people to have lots of notice, so that they had time to sort out time off from work or book holidays etc. And it gives time for each country to think about what they want to do and book venues early.

He likes travelling....maybe he could do a round the world dash and get to all of our meet ups on the same day..............it has been said before that hs is like santa :wub2:

Ooooh, I like that idea! I hope he brings us all pressies!

It sounds really great and I couldn't make it to the last one, but Alan and I should be able to come to the next one.

As for ideas, we could actually call it the 1st Mika Convention, if we can get a venue, we could have things like

A fancy dress contest (peeps could dress up as Mika characters from the songs)

A MIKAraoke night

Maybe an auction of Mika memorabelia (or other stuff) for charity.

Those are my ideas up to now.

OOoooh, cool ideas! Mikaroke sounds awesome (and definitely something the Aussies would be up for)...

These are my first musings, you must understand, but I was wondering if there was something everyone could do and each country could post pics of in turn - starting with Australia (in the same way each country sets off fireworks at the start of the New Year). Just can't decide what it should be. A flashmob? Singing a birthday song? :dunno:

Ooooh, that's a brilliant idea! Hopefully it's something that everyone will do...

Well done Kath!:biggrin2:

Count me in please, i'm always up for a party!!:groovy:

I think HARDROCK sounds perfect, oooh Park Lane too!

DJ, Food, Drink , Disco, prefect party combo!

Yes Fancy dress is also a fab idea, any excuse! ( those who don't want to of course don't have to i guess!)

Rose ...what ARE you thinking?!:teehee:

Other things need to be not too complicated i imagine so they work but I'll leave that to others to plan ...me I'm ready to party!!

Kath .... We could get the train to save your baggage probs! :teehee:

Yes Fancy dress is also a fab idea, any excuse! ( those who don't want to of course don't have to i guess!)

Other things need to be not too complicated i imagine so they work but I'll leave that to others to plan ...me I'm ready to party!!

You'll find out soon enough, my partner in crime is looking into it:wink2:

Nah....I find the train takes too long....and usually costs at least twice as much. I suppose I could just stop being so tight and actually pay to check a suitcase in :aah:

OK.....no problem - you just sit back and we will let you know when everything is organised :blink:

You'll find out soon enough, my partner in crime is looking into it:wink2:

The mind boggles :teehee:

Kath, anything you might want help with?

Would like to help, if you need it.

Kath, anything you might want help with?

Would like to help, if you need it.

Thanks Rose.

When I originally contacted Deb we sort of talked about a 'commitee'. That is a grand title. Alternatively we could look at the terms 'working group ' or 'working party' but ultimately it doesn't really matter what it is called I don't suppose.

I guess really it depends how comlicated it is going to become. It we are looking at a 'convention' type event over a full weekend with the hiring of a function room and lots of events well then that would take an awful lot of organisation. If however we were focusing more on just one party evening (whilst still incorporating some of the other ideas) well then that wouldn't take as much work.

Please could people begin to express their opinions on this please? Personally I love the idea of lots of different meet ups happening all over the place and linking up. I also love the idea of fancy dress and 'events' happening - maybe like a charity draw and or competitions. I am sure that we could manage all of this if we had a private room for the whole evening (rather than just a table in a public restaurant). As much as I love the idea of a full blown convention I aren't sure that we would have the numbers to support this at the moment. Hiring a function room for a weekend - especially in central London would cost a fortune. Therefore, currently, my vote would be to go for a private party, on the Saturday night with lots of things planned...including linking up with the other groups. Please everyone - let us know what you all think.

However....to get back to the original question :naughty: - help.

Silver has been in on this from the begining and was tying me down to the breakfast table in London in January as ideas were flying left right and centre :naughty:. Ever the voice of reason - where as I am prone to jumping in with both feet :naughty:

When Deb got back to me suggesting the simultanious meet ups I pmed a few people to see if they were interested in getting involved.

Therefore, at the moment we have some interested parties and things seem to be taking off in terms of ideas developing.

I think that we probably need to wait a bit longer to give more people the opportunity to express their interest and/ or opinions and then once we have made a decision about what we are doing we can take it from there re allocation of jobs?

I have had a couple of PM's as well offering help.

Edited by kath

Thanks Rose.

When I originally contacted Deb we sort of talked about a 'commitee'. That is a grand title. Alternatively we could look at the terms 'working group ' or 'working party' but ultimately it doesn't really matter what it is called I don't suppose.

I guess really it depends how comlicated it is going to become. It we are looking at a 'convention' type event over a full weekend with the hiring of a function room and lots of events well then that would take an awful lot of organisation. If however we were focusing more on just one party evening (whilst still incorporating some of the other ideas) well then that wouldn't take as much work.

Please could people begin to express their opinions on this please? Personally I love the idea of lots of different meet ups happening all over the place and linking up. I also love the idea of fancy dress and 'events' happening - maybe like a charity draw and or competitions. I am sure that we could manage all of this if we had a private room for the whole evening (rather than just a table in a public restaurant). As much as I love the idea of a full blown convention I aren't sure that we would have the numbers to support this at the moment. Hiring a function room for a weekend - especially in central London would cost a fortune. Therefore, currently, my vote would be to go for a private party, on the Saturday night with lots of things planned...including linking up with the other groups. Please everyone - let us know what you all think.

However....to get back to the original question :naughty: - help.

Silver has been in on this from the begining and was tying me down to the breakfast table in London in January as ideas were flying left right and centre :naughty:. Ever the voice of reason - where as I am prone to jumping in with both feet :naughty:

When Deb got back to me suggesting the simultanious meet ups I pmed a few people to see if they were interested in getting involved.

Therefore, at the moment we have some interested parties and things seem to be taking off in terms of ideas developing.

I think that we probably need to wait a bit longer to give more people the opportunity to express their interest and/ or opinions and then once we have made a decision about what we are doing we can take it from there re allocation of jobs?

I have had a couple of PM's as well offering help.

Is the Hard Rock Cafe, just a starting point, or can we look around to find other places, that may be cheaper?

Is the Hard Rock Cafe, just a starting point, or can we look around to find other places, that may be cheaper?

I think HRC is probably just a dream :mf_lustslow:. I would love for it to be there but £10,000 is a LOT of money. If we are looking for a private room (as opposed to a function room in a hotel) we can certainly look around and see what is available at what cost.

Or maybe people already know places to consider?

I think HRC is probably just a dream :mf_lustslow:. I would love for it to be there but £10,000 is a LOT of money. If we are looking for a private room (as opposed to a function room in a hotel) we can certainly look around and see what is available at what cost.

Or maybe people already know places to consider?

Just found the Lane Bar, on Brick Lane, looks like it could be a possibility.

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/pubsandbars/lane-bar-hire-57237.html

Yes....looks quite good doesn't it...but again it looks as though you would need 200 for exclusive use?

excuse me for butting in... as i am NOT a london expert at all :teehee:

but would a pub do such things? rent the pub for the night (a bit like mika did?) :dunno:

excuse me for butting in... as i am NOT a london expert at all :teehee:

but would a pub do such things? rent the pub for the night (a bit like mika did?) :dunno:

On Saturdays, that's a bit tricky.

At Mikas party, people could still come in off the street, I think.

There was one, The White Swan, but you have to find your own dj.

Edited by RAK1

On Saturdays, that's a bit tricky, there was one, The White Swan, but you have to find your own dj.

that's ok Mika can be the dj :roftl::thumb_yello:

On Saturdays, that's a bit tricky, there was one, The White Swan, but you have to find your own dj.

even a year in advance?

the reason why i'm saying that is here, in Montreal & area, lots of places will let you reserve for a minimal down deposit (like $250), knowing they will make money off of the food & drinks during the evening & for a fee, they throw in a DJ :dunno:

of course, it's probably all different in London... but it was just a thought :blush-anim-cl:

that's ok Mika can be the dj :roftl::thumb_yello:

let's leave him out of it :shun::naughty:

even a year in advance?

the reason why i'm saying that is here, in Montreal & area, lots of places will let you reserve for a minimal down deposit (like $250), knowing they will make money off of the food & drinks during the evening & for a fee, they throw in a DJ :dunno:

of course, it's probably all different in London... but it was just a thought :blush-anim-cl:

I guess they might know a dj they could recommend.

I guess they might know a dj they could recommend.

Do you really need a DJ? Couldn't you just bring mixed CDs and use an existing sound system?

Do you really need a DJ? Couldn't you just bring mixed CDs and use an existing sound system?

Could do that, not sure The White Swan has one, we could enquire. The Clerkenwell has though, with plasma screens, which would be great for link ups if we can arrange it.

Just noticed The White Swan is part of an events group, maybe they have other venues on their list, we could try.

Edited by RAK1

Is the main event just going to be the Saturday night?

Personally I think just the Saturday night is too short, to get around to meeting and having a chat with everyone and also to do the different activities suggested.

I think we would need to start early, maybe early afternoon. The duration of the event will also determine the type of venue we require.

Is the main event just going to be the Saturday night?

Personally I think just the Saturday night is too short, to get around to meeting and having a chat with everyone and also to do the different activities suggested.

I think we would need to start early, maybe early afternoon. The duration of the event will also determine the type of venue we require.

I think some places do weddings, so they will accomodate afternoons too:thumb_yello: