kath

MFC 5th Anniversary - January 2012

2,531 posts in this topic

Could do that, not sure The White Swan has one, we could enquire. The Clerkenwell has though, with plasma screens, which would be great for link ups if we can arrange it.

I'm sure there must be plenty of venues with some kind of sound system available.

I know it's central London but £10,000 sounds obscene to me :shocked: If we already have 200 people and that's the price, then it's reasonable, but I don't think you should have to work from a minimum of 200 people in order to make it affordable.

I've got some experience planning this kind of thing (mostly in the US and but some in the UK) and I would recommend the following:

• Rent out a room - this should be a fairly nominal charge if you are getting food and drink from the venue, you may even convince them to waive the fee with a guaranteed minimum on the food/drink consumption
  • Provide your own entertainment - use their sound system and bring your own music
  • Have a buffet meal
  • Do a cash bar

If you want any help sourcing venues or anything else please let me know. I'll be happy to get some quotes and ask questions.

These are my first musings, you must understand, but I was wondering if there was something everyone could do and each country could post pics of in turn - starting with Australia (in the same way each country sets off fireworks at the start of the New Year). Just can't decide what it should be. A flashmob? Singing a birthday song? :dunno:

A worldwide flashmob! That is a great idea!

I agree that £10,000 is a heck of a lot of money - and if you commit yourselves to something like that it would be nervous breakdown time worrying that everyone is going to pay up/turn up :shocked:.

But I suppose the thing is about that price is that it is all inclusive so you wouldn't have any further expenses. Anyway, I think we should probably dispell that idea as pie in the sky unless we really wanted to go for it, felt it was realistic and had loads of people - which is probably not going to happen.

I really like the look of the White Swan. :thumb_yello:

I agree Terasa that just the Saturday night would be too short but yes, having an event sort of the length of a wedding reception should certainly be possible.

I say lets get talking to some of these places then we can see what they can offer and start to compare them.:biggrin2:

Terasa, yes, it would be great if we could stay at the same place wouldn't it so that we didn't have to roll home :naughty:

Hey...

I'm interested, but can't say anything for sure.

No problem - will add you :thumb_yello:

I'm sold on the White Swan :naughty:

I must say, I do like The White Swan:thumb_yello:

I'm sold on the White Swan :naughty:

I like the White Swan also, has a more traditional look to it without being too old and it seems to be a good size. But again wonder about the cost, I imagine it would be quite expensive.

The Clarkenwell seems quite versatile in that the three different floors allow for anything from 70 to 180 - although we would obviously have to decide on which one we wanted to book.

Yes, just been looking again at the White Swan...probably would be expensive - especially on a Saturday night - but we can certainly enquire.

The Clarkenwell seems quite versatile in that the three different floors allow for anything from 70 to 180 - although we would obviously have to decide on which one we wanted to book.

Yes. I like how the 1st floor give you the colour of your choice.

Yes. I like how the 1st floor give you the colour of your choice.

Indeed :naughty:

OK...so Rose is enquring at the White Swan and the Clarkenwell so we will see what they can offer us which will give us a base line to work from.:thumb_yello:

I´m freaking out with you all girls!!! :shocked: you are genius!! I like all the ideas you have suggested here!!!! :thumb_yello:

I´m freaking out with you all girls!!! :shocked: you are genius!! I like all the ideas you have suggested here!!!! :thumb_yello:

:naughty:

It will take us a little while to bash it all out but we will get there :wink2:

But I suppose the thing is about that price is that it is all inclusive so you wouldn't have any further expenses.

I think you can still aim for that but the price be based on per person, not a flat rate for the entire event. You can probably even get an open bar based on pp pricing but since I expect you won't have many big drinkers, it will probably work out cheaper to pay on consumption.

Do you really need a DJ? Couldn't you just bring mixed CDs and use an existing sound system?

Having just had my own party with DJ and been to a few others with i pods etc i really tihnk a DJ makes it much more special and gives lots of personal touches, personally find a playlist and i pod a but soulless ...not sure how much of a saving ...it can go horribly wrong too ....:aah:

Depends on the costings i guess:wink2:

Nah....I find the train takes too long....and usually costs at least twice as much. I suppose I could just stop being so tight and actually pay to check a suitcase in :aah:

OK.....no problem - you just sit back and we will let you know when everything is organised :blink:

Come on Kath! didn't mean it like that!! :blink:

I'm very happy to help organise, you know me, i love to organise things!

I think booking the venue asap is essential and then making sure people pay up too , on time, no lateness except in extenuating circumstances!

Organising for this amount of people can be very stressful so i was saying it should not bee too complicated and all too difficult.

Getting the London venue seems the first and most important starting point.

Maybe the locals can help? I'm not so much help there I'm afraid ...like the White Swan though too .... did like idea of Hard Rock and it does mean everything is included and nothing to worry about arranging separately ... i think that is important for this kind of event .... however depends how much more £ it costs ...

I'm very happy to help with other bits and pieces .. I'd be happy to do prizes etc for fancy dress and was thinking a quiz could be quite fun ... Mika themed of course! Anyone want to do that with me!?!!

:biggrin2:

You ask people to give their wish?

i am OK for a private room ( HRC if not too expensive), ok for fancy dress, balloons,karaoke, i think that saturday nignt will be enough for an old lady like me.

May be we could really do a list , it would be easier to see how much we'll have to pay?

Having just had my own party with DJ and been to a few others with i pods etc i really tihnk a DJ makes it much more special and gives lots of personal touches, personally find a playlist and i pod a but soulless ...not sure how much of a saving ...it can go horribly wrong too ....:aah:

I think booking the venue asap is essential and then making sure people pay up too , on time, no lateness except in extenuating circumstances!

Organising for this amount of people can be very stressful so i was saying it should not bee too complicated and all too difficult.

Maybe the locals can help? I'm not so much help there I'm afraid ...like the White Swan though too .... did like idea of Hard Rock and it does mean everything is included and nothing to worry about arranging separately ... i think that is important for this kind of event .... however depends how much more £ it costs ...

I'm very happy to help with other bits and pieces .. I'd be happy to do prizes etc for fancy dress and was thinking a quiz could be quite fun ... Mika themed of course! Anyone want to do that with me!?!!

I'd be up for helping you with that:thumb_yello:

You ask people to give their wish?

i am OK for a private room ( HRC if not too expensive), ok for fancy dress, balloons,karaoke, i think that saturday nignt will be enough for an old lady like me.

May be we could really do a list , it would be easier to see how much we'll have to pay?

Aww Lili, I'll bet you're a party animal on the quiet:wink2:

YES, and i want to dance all night long on Mika , David Guetta , Black eyes peas and Gaga!!!!!!:cheers::yay::dance_man:

I think you can still aim for that but the price be based on per person, not a flat rate for the entire event. You can probably even get an open bar based on pp pricing but since I expect you won't have many big drinkers, it will probably work out cheaper to pay on consumption.

Yes that's right. I think HRC just quote that price as it is a total buy out and £10,000 is what they would generally take (on one floor)on a Saturday night if it was open to the general public.

No, I think we would probably have quite a few people that won't be huge drinkers.

I know my love. :huglove: I was only teasing :naughty:

Your party was fabby :thumb_yello:

That's a great idea! A Mika quiz.

Anyone up for helping Vicky?

I am getting SO excited..................I am sure we are going to have a great event :biggrin2:

Vicky - maybe the quiz could be sent to all the other meet ups too?

Edited by kath