Woah that's interesting! Because usually they say that its an imbalance (as u said) and its when stress causes cortisol (the stress hormone) to increase too much in the brain and thus this imbalance aaaaand also the stress hormone ( glucocorticoids ) balance the mood just as serotonin does, and when these stress hormones interact with glucocorticoids, it overtime affects the brain and thus depression starts.

But it is all very complex since no one has an idea of the clear cause and its confusing as heck :/ Thank you so much Silver for telling me of this research, its always nice to gain as much info as we can, I wish I could read the whole thing, it seems good :o

Try this link, it has more info http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/teach-me/86597925/Depression-does-it-originate-in-the-immune-system

• Like 1

Omg really :o So they still have time to pursue drama as much as drama students despite such a heavy course? May I ask, in the Bachelor of Science as an undergrad, how much time does it take up, doing coursework and homework and all? A rough idea? 

They say that a full-time course load should take 40 hours a week of contact hours and private study. However, the actual time that you spend studying is highly variable - depending on how good you are at studying, how fast you are at learning things, how well you want to do, etc.

Honestly, 90% of students would spend about 5 hours a week in private study for the first 10 weeks of semester and then 20 hours a day in the two weeks before exams  :teehee:

To give you an idea, at my uni for a student in their first year of Bachelor of Science in Psychology (they recently changed the name of this course, it used to be called BSci Cognitive Neuroscience and Health Psychology), the contact hours per week are: 6 hours of lectures, 5 hours or tutorials and 2 hours of laboratories. So, all up only 13 hours of class. Depending on your living situation you would definitely have time to dedicate to hobbies. 

Edited by Oakie Doke
  • Like 1

To give you an idea, at my uni for a student in their first year of Bachelor of Science in Psychology (they recently changed the name of this course, it used to be called BSci Cognitive Neuroscience and Health Psychology), the contact hours per week are: 6 hours of lectures, 5 hours or tutorials and 2 hours of laboratories. So, all up only 13 hours of class. Depending on your living situation you would definitely have time to dedicate to hobbies. 

In my experience, most students dedicated their spare time to drinking :mf_rosetinted:

• Like 1

In my experience, most students dedicated their spare time to drinking :mf_rosetinted:

Yes, well you can dedicate it to whatever you want: drinking, hobbies, dogs, Mika forums, you name it!

I am currently binging through Gossip Girl on Netflix and Mika (I see you) featured fairly heavily in the episode I just watched! They played the whole song through  :)

Yes, well you can dedicate it to whatever you want: drinking, hobbies, dogs, Mika forums, you name it!

I am currently binging through Gossip Girl on Netflix and Mika (I see you) featured fairly heavily in the episode I just watched! They played the whole song through  :)

MIKA AND DOGS

(and maybe drinking :teehee: ) and omg, I watched Gossip Girl season 1 and it was SO good! Which episode had the song? :o

They say that a full-time course load should take 40 hours a week of contact hours and private study. However, the actual time that you spend studying is highly variable - depending on how good you are at studying, how fast you are at learning things, how well you want to do, etc.

Honestly, 90% of students would spend about 5 hours a week in private study for the first 10 weeks of semester and then 20 hours a day in the two weeks before exams  :teehee:

AHAHAHA 20 hours a day before exams :lmfao: Why am I not even surprised :D

40 hours a week seems like quite a lot but what you said is right, about how it varies for people and it seems like a lot but then we do have the weekend in which we can complete our 40 hours and even have a day of rest :o 

Thank you for telling about the Psych. course! The class hours seems no way as bad as I expected :o That's such a relief!! Can you watc h lectures at home and not rock up to class? :lol: 

Thank you for the info!! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

So is everyone ready for Christmas?

In the UK we think all Aussies have a Christmas barbie on the beach :rolleyes:

I bet you don't.

Well some of you might, I suppose.

I am heading to the beach today and I shall confirm that myth probable fact :naughty:

Hey silver -- can you shut this thread down and start a new one for 2017? Trying to do that with all the longer threads just to keep it easier when we need to search for something. Thanks!