REPORTS/PICTURES/VIDEOS - MIKA @ Ajaccio, Corsica Theatre de Verdure - 13 July 2011

dcdeb

powershot_13072011_corsica_00063_edited-1.JPG

AJACCIO - PLEASE Tell us how it went! :biggrin2:

Share your stories, photos and videos here!

As always, please keep the chitchat to a minimum in this thread!

=============

REPORTS

=============

tiibet's BLOG

julia2a

Lucrezia

=============

PICTURES

=============

julia2a

Professional Photos:

Paule Santoni

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3519351&postcount=58

=============

VIDEOS

=============

From tiibet:

Karen:

Blame It On the Weather:

Elle Me Dit:

Rain:

Kick Ass:

We Are Golden:

Edited by dcdeb

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a short comment about the gig and our day, thanks Deb for linking my pics!

We had a very relaxed day (just a few fans, sitting in a café) but in the end things got messy again and I felt i'm really on the edge with our nerve-wracking queueing (John is not there and no one from TM is interested in fans or queueing). In the end everything was fine and we all were lucky (I had a great spot and I think all MFCers ended up front) but all these ups and downs make me feel a bit exhausted and I wasn't the only one :roftl:

While we still queued Mika did a long soundcheck, never heard that long and actually it was quite amazing, he was practising his new (and old) songs and commenting a bit and it really took a long time. We didn't see it but heard it of course.

Corsica is beautiful, the venue was so special and Mika was incredibly sweet playing Napoleon in his blue jacket under the statue :biggrin2: What a funny gig. Mika was joking with the band and especially iMMa rocked, really :mf_lustslow:

We got the new version for Rain (not totally new, but the one with iMMa in the beginning), EMD, Karen and the weather song. I know there is a lot of discussion of his new songs, but they are awesome live, it's not only my opinion but everyone there agreed and the audience seemed to like them. Karen is my favorite :wub2:

I lost my voice and after the gig I just quickly gave my thank you card and didn't talk with him (he said hi to people and signed a few things, a lot of people there).

I had a fantastic night, thanks everyone there for your company. Now totally exhausted. A few hours sleep and home.

Edited by tiibet

We had a very relaxed day (just a few fans, sitting in a café) but in the end things got messy again and I felt i'm really on the edge with our nerve-wracking queueing (John is not there and no one from TM is interested about fans or queueing). In the end everything was fine and we all were lucky (I had a great spot and I think all MFCers ended up front) but all these ups and downs make me feel a bit exhausted and I wasn't the only one :roftl:

While we still queued Mika did a long soundcheck, never heard that long and actually it was quite amazing, he was practising his new (and old) songs and commenting a bit and it really took a long time. We didn't see it but heard it of course.

Corsica is beautiful, the venue was so special and Mika was incredibly sweet playing Napoleon in his blue jacket under the statue :biggrin2: What a funny gig. Mika was joking with the band and especially iMMa rocked, really :mf_lustslow:

We got the new version for Rain (not totally new, but the one with iMMa in the beginning), EMD, Karen and the weather song. I know there is a lot of discussion of his new songs, but they are awesome live, it's not only my opinion but everyone there agreed and the audience seemed to like them. Karen is my favorite :wub2:

I lost my voice and after the gig I just quickly gave my thank you card and didn't talk with him (he said hi to people and signed a few things, a lot of people there).

I had a fantastic night, thanks everyone there for your company. Now totally exhausted. A few hours sleep and home.

Thank you for checking in! Sorry about the queue chaos -- we did try to

sort something out beforehand with these "John-less" gigs, but you know

that it didn't work out the way we hoped. :(

Still, it seems like you managed to have a good time, and it sounds like

Mika was enjoying himself -- the few photos you posted on your blog

are lovely! :wub2:

As for the new songs being good live... well, I'll take your word for it,

but... :naughty:

(But I do like Karen, too!) :thumb_yello:

Thank you for checking in! Sorry about the queue chaos -- we did try to

sort something out beforehand with these "John-less" gigs, but you know

that it didn't work out the way we hoped. :(

Still, it seems like you managed to have a good time, and it sounds like

Mika was enjoying himself -- the few photos you posted on your blog

are lovely! :wub2:

Don't worry, Deb, everything was more than fine in the end and we had a good time! :thumb_yello: We went in and Yasmine came immediately and took pics of the front row and iMMa mentioned familiar faces in her tweet after the gig and it all felt nice :wub2:

I don't know how to explain the new songs. They are all totally different style, and I like it that he does/tries new and different things (light summer hit, musical style emotional love song etc.). I enjoy them live, and after seeing them now three times the audience seems to enjoy them generally. I fell in love with Karen immediately (the same happened with Rain, loved it from the beginning). I'm not going to apologize I love his new music, this a fan club after all :dunno:

I know there is a lot of discussion of his new songs, but they are awesome live, it's not only my opinion but everyone there agreed and the audience seemed to like them. Karen is my favorite :wub2:

I'm not going to apologize I love his new music, this a fan club after all :dunno:

I wanted to wait with the first couple of reports before I post this but since the new songs are the hottest topic at the moment and all 3 posts on this thread so far have concentrated on these, let me make a short comment.

I have no doubt that every MFCer attending the shows over the last week had a great time and enjoyed the new songs. Quite rightly so, since EMD is fun, the way Karen’s chorus builds up makes everyone clap along with the beat of the drum and BIOTW has a great melody. However, people perceive music, lyrics and style differently and they also often see a song through different eyes if they are not influenced by the live experience (i.e. sets, body language and amplification), even though I don’t think that it is really a question of having been there or not.

I can clearly remember how my first ever explosure to songs like Lollipop, My Interpretation, Holy Johnny, HMDYLM, BIOTG, GGG, Blue Eyes and Toy Boy (:wub2:) was through live performances and with the exception of the first two, recorded in much worse quality than these songs and also accompanied by some really basic musical support, yet I loved them instantly. I also remember that I hated almost all the covers he did at concerts and radio shows so it’s not that I used to be so easily pleased (:naughty:)

In case of the 3 new Mika songs the first 2 (French ones) were a grower for me (i.e. not really liked them first but I find them ok now) and the third one an instant love affair with the tune itself though raising some questions about the arrangements, the performance and the lyrics. I do not expect everyone to share my opinion or even to understand me and I also respect other people’s perception that it all sounded brilliant live.

There is only one thing here that is worth being noted, in my opinion: as the new songs are dividing fans, none of them is likely to become the greatest Mika song ever since GK or HE and they probably do not even come close. I believe that it is the only reason why emotions are so high now. We all have high expectations of him to return with something new and exciting in sound and lyrics that will differentiate him from others in the current music scene instead of recycling music we have all heard before. This is not necessarily to say, however, that the new songs are not good in general. Most people appreciate at least one or two of them. So I guess we just need to be patient and wait until he comes up with songs that will ’hit you in the face again’ to quote a friend of mine :teehee: and until the time it comes, just enjoy what we have with constructive criticism that has always been so characteristic of MFC and that is exactly the thing that makes this forum and Mika fans 'fierce'.:original:

Edited by suzie

Don't worry, Deb, everything was more than fine in the end and we had a good time! :thumb_yello: We went in and Yasmine came immediately and took pics of the front row and iMMa mentioned familiar faces in her tweet after the gig and it all felt nice :wub2:

I don't know how to explain the new songs. They are all totally different style, and I like it that he does/tries new and different things (light summer hit, musical style emotional love song etc.). I enjoy them live, and after seeing them now three times the audience seems to enjoy them generally. I fell in love with Karen immediately (the same happened with Rain, loved it from the beginning). I'm not going to apologize I love his new music, this a fan club after all :dunno:

Oh goodness, no! Don't apologize! If you enjoy the new songs, that's terrific!

I didn't mean to make you feel bad about that. In fact, it's the opposite

-- *I* feel bad that I really don't like BIOTW. I'm not normally that

critical, but that song in particular just strikes me wrong. But that doesn't

mean you shouldn't say what you like! :thumb_yello:

I saw iMMa's tweet -- that was so sweet of her. And again, I'm glad to

know it all worked out, just wish it hadn't been such a challenge.

:huglove:

I wanted to wait with the first couple of reports before I post this but since the new songs are the hottest topic at the moment and all 3 posts on this thread so far have concentrated on these, let me make a short comment.

I have no doubt that every MFCer attending the shows over the last week had a great time and enjoyed the new songs. Quite rightly so, since EMD is fun, the way Karen’s chorus builds up makes everyone clap along with the beat of the drum and BIOTW has a great melody. However, people perceive music, lyrics and style differently and they also often see a song through different eyes if they are not influenced by the live experience (i.e. sets, body language and amplification), even though I don’t think that it is really a question of having been there or not.

I can clearly remember how my first ever explosure to songs like Lollipop, My Interpretation, Holy Johnny, HMDYLM, BIOTG, GGG, Blue Eyes and Toy Boy (:wub2:) was through live performances and with the exception of the first two, recorded in much worse quality than these songs and also accompanied by some really basic musical support, yet I loved them instantly. I also remember that I hated almost all the covers he did at concerts and radio shows so it’s not that I used to be so easily pleased (:naughty:)

In case of the 3 new Mika songs the first 2 (French ones) were a grower for me (i.e. not really liked them first but I find them ok now) and the third one an instant love affair with the tune itself though raising some questions about the arrangements, the performance and the lyrics. I do not expect everyone to share my opinion or even to understand me and I also respect other people’s perception that it all sounded brilliant live.

There is only one thing here that is worth being noted, in my opinion: the new songs are dividing fans and none of them is likely to become the greatest Mika song ever since GK or HE and they do not even come close. I believe that it is the only reason why emotions are so high now. We all have high expectations of him to return with something new and exciting in sound and lyrics that will differentiate him from others in the current music scene instead of recycling music we have all heard before. This is not necessarily to say, however, that the new songs are not good in general. Most people appreciate at least one or two of them. So I guess we just need to be patient and wait until he comes up with songs that will ’hit you in the face again’ to quote a friend of mine :teehee: and until the time it comes, just enjoy what we have with constructive criticism that has always been so characteristic of MFC.:original:

:bow:

Oh goodness, no! Don't apologize! If you enjoy the new songs, that's terrific!

I didn't mean to make you feel bad about that. In fact, it's the opposite

-- *I* feel bad that I really don't like BIOTW. I'm not normally that

critical, but that song in particular just strikes me wrong. But that doesn't

mean you shouldn't say what you like! :thumb_yello:

I saw iMMa's tweet -- that was so sweet of her. And again, I'm glad to

know it all worked out, just wish it hadn't been such a challenge.

:huglove:

Can I say that I hate to death BIOTW?? :mf_rosetinted:

Buuuuuuuut I also must admit that I hated with all my heart OMS, and when at my first gig he sang it soooooooo absof*uckinglutely fine, I fell in love with that song. Maybe when I´ll be back from Porto I´ll write in my report that BIOTW is the best song ever :mf_rosetinted:though I seriously doubt it :mf_rosetinted:

And as it happened to Nina, I love Karen since the first time...:wub2:

There is only one thing here that is worth being noted, in my opinion: as the new songs are dividing fans, none of them is likely to become the greatest Mika song ever since GK or HE and they probably do not even come close. I believe that it is the only reason why emotions are so high now. We all have high expectations of him to return with something new and exciting in sound and lyrics that will differentiate him from others in the current music scene instead of recycling music we have all heard before. This is not necessarily to say, however, that the new songs are not good in general. Most people appreciate at least one or two of them. So I guess we just need to be patient and wait until he comes up with songs that will ’hit you in the face again’ to quote a friend of mine :teehee: and until the time it comes, just enjoy what we have with constructive criticism that has always been so characteristic of MFC and that is exactly the thing that makes this forum and Mika fans 'fierce'.:original:

I like this part.

but my English is bad so I'm using Google I hope you understand.

I arrived on the scene at about 9:30 and I met some fans, we were very little, it's not same that Compiegne I am pleased to have meet the fans. I was sorry to leave the fans :-( but I could not stay because I had a backstage, I discovered the morning by my friend.:blush-an im-cl: I saw the rehearsals. I stayed quiet to walk and look, Mika arrived 18 hours with his sister Yasmine and her mother. Balance lasted about an hour. it was nice to see him in this context he was charming, I have remained friendly, I would not take a picture, it was not allowed. he wore a nice white shirt and jeans of course the famous cap.

discover the evolution of the préparation is magical !!! :mf_lust slow:

The deal is open to 7:30 p.m.. Regarding the list of numbers there were 17 fans and their numbers. But it has not served a little because there were two entrances on each side, I try to ask to go before the fans but it was prohibited.

I think all the fans of the list we had a good up front.

The concert starts, he was a beautiful Mika funny, the audience was smiling there were reactive in the atmosphere.

he spoke several times behind him Napoleon :ro ftl:

he yelled several times Ajaccio! Ajaccio!! you must agree to the beach!:big grin2:

The concert ended I went back to my friend who made ​​me go, he made me a very nice surprise, I had prepared a book and hoping to give him after the concert. During the concert my friend had kept my book without telling me and showed it to Mom Penniman :shoc ked: she adored. she said I should give it a Mika. That's how I could meet him.

he came out of the box quickly after 20 minutes, the fans cheered, so he signed a lot of autographs, I stayed back behind him. I admit I was a little stressed so until I discussed a bit with Imma and Martin. Martin found that I was more tanned than he had sunburn.

they are really nice it's been really fun

Then I waited a bit and after a asssitante says it's ok you can go...

A nice meeting, he was alone and I think we discussed about 20 minutes

I stayed very natural and quite at ease, I explained all the pages of my book, why I did, it was like I told him a story before bed. He was very attentive and smiling at each said opening page awww I love! awww it's beautiful !!

He asked me how long I had to put the book I told him three months. He thanked me again I had a sincere hug .. we took a photo and I write a word.

I went home with a lot of emotion and joy, I waited four years he came in Corsica. I did not was disappointed.

Then I post my photos.

@willywonka there were no fans on stage.

Edited by julia2a

I wanted to share with you my great experience :wub2:

I went home with a lot of emotion and joy, I waited four years he came in Corsica. I did not was disappointed. :wub2:

julia2a, I have not quoted all your report but it was lovely to read :wub2:

I am so happy when fans get moments like this :biggrin2:

We had a very relaxed day (just a few fans, sitting in a café) but in the end things got messy again and I felt i'm really on the edge with our nerve-wracking queueing (John is not there and no one from TM is interested in fans or queueing). In the end everything was fine and we all were lucky (I had a great spot and I think all MFCers ended up front) but all these ups and downs make me feel a bit exhausted and I wasn't the only one :ro ftl:

Corsica is beautiful, the venue was so special and Mika was incredibly sweet playing Napoleon in his blue jacket under the statue :biggrin2: What a funny gig. Mika was joking with the band and especially iMMa rocked, really :mf_lus tslow:

I wanted to share with you my great experience :wu b2:

but my English is bad so I'm using Google I hope you understand.

I arrived on the scene at about 9:30 and I met some fans, we were very little, it's not same that Compiegne :aah: I am pleased to have meet the fans. I was sorry to leave the fans :-( but I could not stay because I had a backstage, I discovered the morning by my friend.:blush-an im-cl: I saw the rehearsals. I stayed quiet to walk and look, Mika arrived 18 hours with his sister Yasmine and her mother. Balance lasted about an hour. it was nice to see him in this context he was charming, I have remained friendly, I would not take a picture, it was not allowed. he wore a nice white shirt and jeans of course the famous cap.

discover the evolution of the préparation is magical !!! :mf_lust slow:

The deal is open to 7:30 p.m.. Regarding the list of numbers there were 17 fans and their numbers. But it has not served a little because there were two entrances on each side, I try to ask to go before the fans but it was prohibited.

I think all the fans of the list we had a good up front. :thumb_yello:

The concert starts, he was a beautiful Mika funny, the audience was smiling there were reactive in the atmosphere.

he spoke several times behind him Napoleon :ro ftl:

he yelled several times Ajaccio! Ajaccio!! you must agree to the beach!:big grin2:

The concert ended I went back to my friend who made ​​me go, he made me a very nice surprise, I had prepared a book and hoping to give him after the concert. During the concert my friend had kept my book without telling me and showed it to Mom Penniman :shoc ked: she adored. she said I should give it a Mika. That's how I could meet him.

he came out of the box quickly after 20 minutes, the fans cheered, so he signed a lot of autographs, I stayed back behind him. I admit I was a little stressed so until I discussed a bit with Imma and Martin. Martin found that I was more tanned than he had sunburn.:roftl:

they are really nice it's been really fun :biggrin2:

Then I waited a bit and after a asssitante says it's ok you can go...

A nice meeting, he was alone and I think we discussed about 20 minutes

I stayed very natural and quite at ease, I explained all the pages of my book, why I did, it was like I told him a story before bed. He was very attentive and smiling at each said opening page awww I love! awww it's beautiful !!

He asked me how long I had to put the book I told him three months. He thanked me again I had a sincere hug .. we took a photo and I write a word.

I went home with a lot of emotion and joy, I waited four years he came in Corsica. I did not was disappointed. :wub2:

Then I post my photos.

@willywonka there were no fans on stage.

Great reports :bow:

Thanks Julia, NICE REPORT!!!:thumb_yello:

Yes, Julia, that was a wonderful report! How nice that you got to spend

so much time with Mika! Thank you for sharing! :wub2:

Nina I am filing the new songs I don't care for away for now. I'm sure I'll have a different perspective when I hear them live. I remember a couple of days in 2008 waking up with the Rain chorus going through my head and wanting to stick an ice pick in my ear :naughty:

Also a number of the songs on SFS left something to be desired but a) I changed my mind on a couple of them when I saw them live and b) we had other great new songs from TBWKTM to focus on at the same time so people were not as preoccupied with the quality of the EP songs the way they are focusing on the songs on the new album.

I always react to live songs in a different way for many reasons - live music just sounds better than an mp3 on a computer (especially one ripped from a digital, compressed video with a ton of background noise), the atmosphere (the lighting, the vibe of the crowd, Mika's pretty face, etc. :naughty:) and just the general memories of the gig experience/trip impact your perceptions and memories. Even if there were people around the world who enjoyed Toy Boy I can't imagine it was anywhere near as magical as it was for us who were there and were high for days at the prospect of hearing new songs for the first time and getting to talk to Mika about it afterwards.

I don't think anyone who doesn't share your love of all the songs is discounting your opinion, we're just in a different frame of mind, especially some of us who are thousands of miles away this month.

I went home with a lot of emotion and joy, I waited four years he came in Corsica. I did not was disappointed.

Wow how amazing is that?!! He really made it worth the wait! So glad you had a great night especially at your home gig. :wub2: