2011 - MIKA @ Festival Mares Vivas, Oporto, Portugal 16 July - REPORTS/PICTURES/VIDEOS

Fmbm

:ot:

If he comes and meets fans and says hi it's a M&G.
That is what we on MFC call a m&g but in reality it is not, not even if people form an orderly queue. :dunno: I think a m&g is something a fan had with him in Corsica but that was organised by local promoters, I think. Or at the private gig everyone had the chance to chat with him, too.

It is another question how fans use that opportunity though: whether they still just want their 73rd autograph and 59the picture with him or they prefer trying to talk to him.

I am actually saddened by the fact that I sometimes hear ’regulars’ (I obviously don't mean Portuguese fans here) evaluating a gig based on the fact if there was a m&g afterwards or not. I understand, however, that fans who have never met him find it important at least to say ’hi’ to him. I remember the first time I had the chance to talk to him I was also really excited about finally being able to give him some feedback on how I feel about his music and concerts..etc. And since I can still remember how much it means to a fan to have some seconds spent chatting to him, I would never for a moment consider pushing myself in the fan crowd when he clearly states he only has little time, for example. I read some comments about this m&g and how other fans gathered around him for a picture that was only for the Portuguese fans, but to be honest, I can’t blame them that much, unless they were regulars and spoke English well. If there is much chaos around, you may not be aware what is going on and some fans can get over-excited if it is their first opportunity to be in a photo with him.

Edited by suzie

@superstar @Mary

Thank you for your reports!

I am glad it all turned out so well for you (and @77red, too) and that you managed to talk to him a bit as well.

I can't wait to hear the new version of Happy Ending. :boing:

Thank you so much for your report, Mary!! :thumb_yello: Can't wait to see some pics and vids (hopefully someone managed to film HE even it was raining, sounds so special.

Haven't seen the video yet, but I filmed the whole song! :biggrin2:

About queueing, you said the system was "order of arrivel". The whole idea of numbers is to keep the order of arrival, so actually you basically did the number thing but it was not written? I totally agree with you about festivals, I wouldn't do written lists on festivals if Mika is not the main performer (like he was in Coimbra) because it's really silly and not fair for other than Mika fans. But if you managed to keep the order of arrival it was quite organized?

Yes, not a written list, just a "normal" queue. Obviously the numbered people who were already there got in order and everyone arriving after, stayed after them in the queue.

The thing is, there was not just one line to get in the festival, there were 6 lines, with 6 policemen searching our bags, 6 security guards checking the tickets etc. And obviously it would have been impossible to control the numbers there, there were 6 people entering at the same time. And I tried to explain that for MONTHS here, and still people were upset with that system. :dunno: It's like that at every festival I ever went to, is it THAT different in other countries?

So sorry about your pic! M&G like this are always so chaotic. I wonder if he is planning to do any organized M&Gs during the next tour (I mean people making a line and behaving in a calm way). In Helsinki we were in a line and he did took one picture with very young Finnish fans who gave him a a present he liked and it was naturally only for them and not for anyone else.

This M&G was not organized at all, although it was a bit more civilized than I was thinking at first. :naughty: But Mika was basically surrounded by everyone there. No screams, no pushing (just a bit towards the end, when he was about to leave and some people haven't talked to him or asked for an autograph), but still not organized.

If he comes and meets fans and says hi it's a M&G. I think we are quite spoiled, because so often things are organized, people make a line and everyone has a chance to speak to him. When people group around him and only some people have possibility to actually talk with him it's much more chaotic.

Oh we are spoiled, absolutely! :wub2:

Edited by Mary

Haven't seen the video yet, but I filmed the whole song! :biggrin2:

Yes, not a written list, just a "normal" queue. Obviously the numbered people who were already there got in order and everyone arriving after, stayed after them in the queue.

The thing is, there was not just one line to get in the festival, there were 6 lines, with 6 policemen searching our bags, 6 security guards checking the tickets etc. And obviously it would have been impossible to control the numbers there, there were 6 people enteering ath the same time. And I tried to explain that for MONTHS here, and still people were upset with that system. :dunno: It's like that at every festival I ever went to, is it THAT different in other countries?

was the same i liège, also more then one line of entry, and last year TW classic too :)

That is what we on MFC call a m&g but in reality it is not, not even if people form an orderly queue. :dunno: I think a m&g is something a fan had with him in Corsica but that was organised by local promoters, I think. Or at the private gig everyone had the chance to chat with him, too.

It is another question how fans use that opportunity though: whether they still just want their 73rd autograph and 59the picture with him or they prefer trying to talk to him.

I am actually saddened by the fact that I sometimes hear ’regulars’ (I obviously don't mean Portuguese fans here) evaluating a gig based on the fact if there was a m&g afterwards or not. I understand, however, that fans who have never met him find it important at least to say ’hi’ to him. I remember the first time I had the chance to talk to him I was also really excited about finally being able to give him some feedback on how I feel about his music and concerts..etc. And since I can still remember how much it means to a fan to have some seconds spent chatting to him, I would never for a moment consider pushing myself in the fan crowd when he clearly states he only has little time, for example. I read some comments about this m&g and how other fans gathered around him for a picture that was only for the Portuguese fans, but to be honest, I can’t blame them that much, unless they were regulars and spoke English well. If there is much chaos around, you may not be aware what is going on and some fans can get over-excited if it is their first opportunity to be in a photo with him.

Totally agree, especially the bolded part! I think people got so used to talking to him at the end, that sometimes it seems they get offended if he doesn't stop to say 'hi' and sign some things. :boxed:

As for the "first meeting feeling", my first time meeting him was last year, so it's all still very fresh in my memory. It felt like heaven, being able to hear him saying how much he liked the gig, the crowd, etc, and being able to give him some feedback too.

But I also can relate with the bittersweet feeling you have when you're so close to finally meet him and he leaves before you can say anything.

The girl who asked for the pic had never met him, and when she did, said the usual thing, asked if it was possible to take a pic with him. He said no, but agreed on taking a pic with the Portuguese FC, after she mentioned it.

I was actually pretty surprised, but happy of course. And I warned people "YOO PORTUGUESE FAN CLUB TO THE PICTURE!" and well...apparently there's a couple "honorary portuguese" around here! :roftl:

The thing is, there was not just one line to get in the festival, there were 6 lines, with 6 policemen searching our bags, 6 security guards checking the tickets etc. And obviously it would have been impossible to control the numbers there, there were 6 people entering at the same time. And I tried to explain that for MONTHS here, and still people were upset with that system. :dunno: It's like that at every festival I ever went to, is it THAT different in other countries?

Sometimes Mika does a festival but he is clearly the most important artist, so it's like a solo gig and we use numbers. In Liége it was a proper festival, and I wasn't so pleased people had started a list. I was sure it would not work, and even it would, it wouldn't be fair. But it did work (the security check our numbers and let us in first), and I think in the end it was just fine, because the other artist didn't have many core fans, and people changed places during the day too (to let some other fans to see better).

Sometimes Mika does a festival but he is clearly the most important artist, so it's like a solo gig and we use numbers. In Liége it was a proper festival, and I wasn't so pleased people had started a list. I was sure it would not work, and even it would, it wouldn't be fair. But it did work (the security check our numbers and let us in first), and I think in the end it was just fine, because the other artist didn't have many core fans, and people changed places during the day too (to let some other fans to see better).

That's what happened in Coimbra, for example.

But here, Cranberries were co-headliners, why would MFC organize anything? There were other people in the list, not just MFCers, but it would have been even more frustrating to continue the list and then not going in first (that was out of the question for the festival staff) and not even get in in the proper order. :huh:

could you see who's who on the pics cause most of you i don't know yet by pics ::blush-anim-cl:

i did recognize Luke i think :)

Of course (duuuuh Mary!)

The two in the first pic are superstar and 77red! :wub2:

The other is Carolina (Rosa's sister), the Lollipop Boy (Frank? Franco?) and Luke.

The last one, Sixtiine and her sister with the french flag, Rosa on the right, with the MFC badge.

Of course (duuuuh Mary!)

The two in the first pic are superstar and 77red! :wub2:

The other is Carolina (Rosa's sister), the Lollipop Boy (Frank? Franco?) and Luke.

The last one, Sixtiine and her sister with the french flag, Rosa on the right, with the MFC badge.

how could i not see Rosa :doh: i know what she looks like, think i didn't look close enough :)

Thanks so much for the reports!! I really wanted to go to this but I have to say that I am just too old to do the festival thing. My bladder has a few years on yours Kira, not sure it would be holding up for 8 hours. :naughty: It sounded so fantastic on the radio though, wow. You got a great performance. :mf_lustslow:

Mika was pretty hopped up on painkillers in Oakland but I'm glad he told you he remembered you anyway. :teehee: He really has a special thing for Americans. Not jealous!! (:mf_rosetinted:)

I know no one is going to listen but I am going to say it anyway. When Mika stops to sign autographs after he leaves the venue it is not a meet & greet. I think even calling it a M&G is raising unrealistic expectations. When you get a real M&G you can hope for a photograph for instance. When there is a mad scrum outside Mika's car or 200 people queued up outside the stage door the chances of you getting a photograph are extremely limited. The chances of everyone getting a photograph is ZERO.

I'm sorry that people jumped into the Portuguese fan club photograph in the chaos but I have been to very few of these stage door scrums where he takes photos at all. The only one I can remember is Dublin and I think the only people who got pics were Luke and Blue Sky (out of about 100-200 ppl). I do understand the disappointment though because you get so few chances, especially at your home gig. :huh:

I know no one is going to listen but I am going to say it anyway. When Mika stops to sign autographs after he leaves the venue it is not a meet & greet. I think even calling it a M&G is raising unrealistic expectations. When you get a real M&G you can hope for a photograph for instance. When there is a mad scrum outside Mika's car or 200 people queued up outside the stage door the chances of you getting a photograph are extremely limited. The chances of everyone getting a photograph is ZERO.

I'm sorry that people jumped into the Portuguese fan club photograph in the chaos but I have been to very few of these stage door scrums where he takes photos at all. The only one I can remember is Dublin and I think the only people who got pics were Luke and Blue Sky (out of about 100-200 ppl). I do understand the disappointment though because you get so few chances, especially at your home gig. :huh:

Yes, I called it a M&G, because I was in a proper M&G after the private gig, and he didn't want to take pics there and we didn't talk more than usually after the gigs so I thought it was the same. But I totally agree that people have too high expectations. It's not usually possible to have a picture with and he is most times very busy.

Yes, I called it a M&G, because I was in a proper M&G after the private gig, and he didn't want to take pics there and we didn't talk more than usually after the gigs so I thought it was the same.

No it's not supposed to be the same which is why I was not very impressed with what happened at the points gig M&G. But that's another story I'm sure no one wants me to get into. :naughty:

Superstar touched on it in her gig report. We had a proper M&G in Oakland. In fact they did one at all the US gigs I went to (I told you he loves those Americans :mf_rosetinted:). They separated us into groups. I guess some were VIPs, contest winners, that sort of thing. We sat at tables and I think under normal circumstances Mika would have gone from table to table to meet people. But because he injured his foot he stood in one spot and people filed past him to chat and get photographs. Everyone got an individual photograph (I didn't because I already have pics with Mika and I felt bad that he was tired/injured, but it was expected that he would take a pic if I had asked.) I imagine every artist lays down their own rules about M&Gs but this is what I think is normally expected, at least in North America.

Superstar touched on it in her gig report. We had a proper M&G in Oakland. In fact they did one at all the US gigs I went to (I told you he loves those Americans :mf_rosetinted:). They separated us into groups. I guess some were VIPs, contest winners, that sort of thing. We sat at tables and I think under normal circumstances Mika would have gone from table to table to meet people. But because he injured his foot he stood in one spot and people filed past him to chat and get photographs. Everyone got an individual photograph (I didn't because I already have pics with Mika and I felt bad that he was tired/injured, but it was expected that he would take a pic if I had asked.) I imagine every artist lays down their own rules about M&Gs but this is what I think is normally expected, at least in North America.

More or less like we had in Lisbon (but there we were the "intruders" in the middle of those 30 or 40 people :teehee: everyone had won a contest or something, except for us 4, who were there because the promoter lady was really really a great person! :teehee:)

More or less like we had in Lisbon (but there we were the "intruders" in the middle of those 30 or 40 people :teehee: everyone had won a contest or something, except for us 4, who were there because the promoter lady was really really a great person! :teehee:)

Yes we were the last priority as well so we had to wait for everyone else to speak to Mika first before MFCers got their turn. That's why they separated us into groups. It had its advantages in Seattle though because once Mika was done with his official meeting and greeting of the other groups he came into the theatre where we were waiting and sat down in the middle of our group (because of his foot) so we could have a more casual chat. It was a group situation but people could not crowd him because of the seats so it didn't turn into a scrum.

Like I said before, I must be cold-blooded because it would never cross my mind to evaluate a gig based on the fact that I met the performer after or not. Maybe I have low expectations, or I'm not fangurl enough :mf_rosetinted: Geez, I was excited just listening to the concert on radio:roftl:

Almost forgot about the "funny facts" I was talking about earlier.

First, the look on people's faces looking at the Mika fans in costumes is priceless! :aah: And no need to say the photographers went nuts! They took a gazillion pics of the flags, the signs, the costumes, everything! A few minutes after we got to the front row, I logged in on FB and saw a post from the Radio Comercial people "At the barriers there's a group of Mika fans, coming from all over the world, dressed in costumes, only to impress Mika!" :aah:

Just before Mika got on stage, the photographers were getting ready, and we were chatting to one of them, when the band came on stage. She was like "is this Mika? Which one of them is Mika? :shocked: Please warn me when he appears, I have never seen him and they're all in costumes!!!" :lmfao:

And even before they got on stage, a reporter whispered to us "I've seen them backstage! THEY'RE ALL SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE! The costumes are amaziiiiiing! You'll love it!!" :wub2:

As for the flash mob, stupid rain almost ruined everything. Surprisingly, many people knew the coreography, and danced during Love Today (before the gig we had to "perform" it to the radio people, so they could learn it too! :aah:). In the end, many people danced and..................Mika didn't even look at us I guess... :lmfao:

Yes we were the last priority as well so we had to wait for everyone else to speak to Mika first before MFCers got their turn. That's why they separated us into groups. It had its advantages in Seattle though because once Mika was done with his official meeting and greeting of the other groups he came into the theatre where we were waiting and sat down in the middle of our group (because of his foot) so we could have a more casual chat. It was a group situation but people could not crowd him because of the seats so it didn't turn into a scrum.

Fortunately in Lisbon he wasn't injured, but it was the same thing. He spent a lot more time with us than with everyone else,it was a very relaxed thing, and we even got the bonus of meeting his mom, Andy and Fortuné after, and continue the chit chat while the girls were packing! :teehee:

As I said, it was a proper M&G and a dream one. I know I'll probably never get one like that again. :wub2: