"The Origin of Love" - the pieces of a puzzle

nenartus

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello!

Somebody knows how to use the screenprint of TOOL Deluxe Edition? I don't know if i'm in the right thread, so if i don't, i'm sorry!

Thanks.

For example you can get it autographed and put it in a frame ;D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for bringing this thread back up again but what is the screenprint. I'm really confused! Is it worth the £35 for the whole bundle? I mean it's alot of money for what I would call a psoter? Can someone classify what it is please? ; )

Sorry for bringing this thread back up again but what is the screenprint. I'm really confused! Is it worth the £35 for the whole bundle? I mean it's alot of money for what I would call a psoter? Can someone classify what it is please? ; )

It's a special art print of the album cover, so much better quality than a poster. It's something you could get framed.

As Silver says, it's very good quality and does look really nice framed. :thumb_yello: it is however quite dark (Mika's face).

Is it worth the £35 for the whole bundle? I mean it's alot of money for what I would call a psoter? Can someone classify what it is please? ; )

... It is pretty subjective. As long as some fans are willing to pay £20 for a poster they are going to sell these special editions. So for them it is worth it.

• 3 years later...

I came looking for this to ask if anyone had info about the numbered cardstock prints, and here I find people talking about them at the end of this thread! I just snagged one on Ebay for $6! It's really beautiful in person, and I have it on a wall in my room that has a color changing light pointed at it, which looks super super cool.

• 6 years later...

I've never read this article before and searched in MFC....not been posted.

Billboard

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/the-origin-of-mika-1083435/

10/15/2012

The ‘Origin’ of Mika

”I don’t necessarily fit into a particular box,” London-based singer/songwriter Mika says.

“I stand in this weird border between commercial music and quite noncommercial, artsy music, and I’m constantly balancing that line.”

Walking that creative tightrope has, nevertheless, brought great international success to the Universal/Island artist, whose real name is Michael Penniman. Mika’s 2007 debut album, “Life In Cartoon Motion”, has sold 5.5 million copies worldwide, according to New York-based Rich Isaacson, who co-manages Mika with Iain Watt of London-based Machine Management. Mika’s 2009 follow-up, “The Boy Who Knew Too Much”, was less successful, but still sold 1.5 million units, Isaacson says. “I was quite prepared for it,” Mika says about his sophomore set’s lower sales. “It was a consciously darker record.”

Preparing for his next studio album, the artist — who was born in Lebanon but holds a dual U.S. and British citizenship — knew that he wanted to create something “fresh” and “different.” In Montreal, Mika hooked up with Empire of the Sun’s Nick Littlemore, and together they began work on what would become Mika’s third album, “The Origin of Love”.

“It’s the perfect evolution,” Mika says of the kaleidoscopic, 14-track electro-pop set, which arrived Oct. 8 in the United Kingdom on Casablanca/Island Records and Oct. 16 in the United States on Universal Republic. “It’s definitely a much more joyful and intrinsically pop record than [the previous album], and it takes a lot of risks sonically,” he says, singling out the EDM rush of “Stardust,” featuring Benny Benassi. Also guesting on the album: Pharrell Williams, William Orbit, Fryars and producer Greg Wells, who also guided Mika’s first two albums.

The U.S. campaign is spearheaded by the Williams-starring single “Celebrate,” which is No. 22 on Billboard’s Dance Club Songs chart. Its video gained prominent placing on Yahoo Music, Papermag.com and PerezHilton.com. Lifestyle media platforms are also a key focus of the domestic push, says Jim Roppo, executive VP of marketing at Republic, citing a recent cover story for the national gay men’s magazine Instinct. That interview marked the first time that Mika openly discussed his sexuality, and the piece generated sizable Web traffic.

Mika notes that his newfound “personal sense of ease” directly informed “The Origin of Love”. “On the one hand, I wrote a record that celebrates my comfort with myself,” he says. “On the other, I found confidence from the music, so the two are intrinsically connected.”

“Mika is a champion of artist-driven pop music, and this record showcases that more than ever before,” Roppo says. “He’s grown and matured since the first album,” adds Isaacson, who points to strong ticket sales for a forthcoming run of U.S. shows, booked by Creative Artists Agency, as evidence that America is gradually falling for Mika’s charms. The singer’s shows at New York’s Webster Hall (Oct. 15-16) sold out within minutes, Isaacson says. Gigs at Chicago’s Vic Theatre (Oct. 18) and Los Angeles’ Henry Fonda Theatre (Oct. 21) also quickly sold out, with a second Los Angeles show subsequently added.

However, gaining significant U.S. radio support continues to be a hard-fought battle. “Mika has got a very vibrant core fan base in America, but if you’re not on the radio, it’s difficult to have massive sales,” Isaacson says. Mika is cautiously optimistic that “The Origin of Love” will be the album to break that cycle, though.

However, gaining significant U.S. radio support continues to be a hard-fought battle. “Mika has got a very vibrant core fan base in America, but if you’re not on the radio, it’s difficult to have massive sales,” Isaacson says. Mika is cautiously optimistic that “The Origin of Love” will be the album to break that cycle, though.

“Writing this was a very liberating process,” he says. “It’s clear that it is not a record that was over-A&R’d. It was very much made in the moment.”

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

The Origin Of Love [The Origin Of Love (Commentary Version)]

They are probably Mika - Track by Track videos, but I can't find Make You Happy from Mika's YouTube channel.

Here is a short AUDIO file ( 30 seconds ) from https://www.songtexte.de/alben/mika-the-origin-of-love-the-origin-of-love-commentary-version-2371076.html

Origin of Love

Lola

Stardust

Make You Happy

Underwater

Overrated

Kids

Step with Me

Popular song

Heroes

Celebrate

Edited by Kumazzz
fixed

2 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

The Origin Of Love [The Origin Of Love (Commentary Version)]

They are probably Mika - Track by Track videos, but I can't find Make You Happy from Mika's YouTube channel.

Here is a short AUDIO file ( 30 seconds ) from https://www.songtexte.de/alben/mika-the-origin-of-love-the-origin-of-love-commentary-version-2371076.html

Origin of Love

Lola

Stardust

Make You Happy

Underwater

Overrated

Kids

Step with Me

Popular song

Heroes

Celebrate

Thank you @Kumazzz!  I've seen these videos before but enjoyed watching them again this afternoon. I'm  fascinated by Mika's explanations of the songmaking process and the details related to the creation of his songs. By the way, did you realize that you posted the "Overrated" video twice?

As for "Make You Happy", I love the Miami edit version with the orchestra.

In the past I've considered using Mika's comments on "Heroes"  with my Italian students when I  teach the War Poets ( Owen, Sassoon etc). The video could be used for a listening comprehension task and then I would have the class listen to the song to create an emotional impact before having them read a war poem. Gotta try it sometime.

• Like 1