Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

I don't know why this song was not the first single,it's perfect.

Too good to be overplayed on the radio, and much better than other pop music. It's just a treat for his real fans!:teehee:

oh I think it is extremely catchy yet meaningful and witty.

I don't believe the US market only accepts banal songs with simple lyrics. Sure hardly anyone will understand the Latin words in the middle but they are not supposed to. This song has the word 'hit' written all over it. It is not for the LMAO audience but I don't think Mika should target his songs at them.

It's not about banality, it's the anti-religious message :naughty: This is a country where Jesus Takes the Wheel charts on the Billboard 100 and is played on mainstream radio...so...

I don't get what's catchy about it. Maybe the recorded track will convince me :dunno:

The cigarette/nicorette lines not only are distasteful images (pun intended) but they don't fit with the "origin of love" concept. The Adam/Eve thing works but this doesn't.

I appreciate what he says in the interview about love also being painful and angsty, etc. but I think you have to be more subtle and poetic about it and not use words like "sick", "cigarette", "Nicorette", "medication", etc. It's like that horrible fish line in Lady Jane. It really clashes with the sentiment and theme of the song IMO. And the whole metaphor of love being a drug is so clichéd in any case.

Then what about Madonna's Gang Bang lyrics? :mf_rosetinted:

That whole album flopped in the US. :naughty:

Too good to be overplayed on the radio, and much better than other pop music. It's just a treat for his real fans!:teehee:

Yes I tend to agree with that.

Wow! This version has finally buffered. To quote mika himself, it is really 'like a shot of happy juice'! Let's hope the rest of the album is like this. Excccciiiiiittttttiiiingg!:mikacool:

Thank you so much to everyone who posted vids, pics, interview, translation! :flowers2:

I really like the song :wub2: Much more the kind of songs I'm 'normally' attracted to. I adore the sound in the background which starts at around 2min (in LaraMay's vid) :swoon: And Latin? He's the smartest popstar ever!

This is what was written in French articles about the song, do you guys think it's accurate?

The song that opens the album gives its name to it. 'The Origin of Love', written in Montreal a year and a half ago when Mika started. A very electro dance title, without a real chorus but with surprising bridges. We are far from the pop songs from LICM but the production is remarkable. Perfect introduction, the title makes 'cigarette' and 'nicorette' rhyme with the vocoded voice of Mika, who offered himself the services of Empire of the Sun for the production.

It is the title of this album due on Sept 17. So let's start with the listening to this song. Carried by a loud infra-bass rhythm, 'The Origin of Love' is won over by a piano and a guitar before the voice or more precisely the voices take the power. Mika's voice is double, wrapped up by choirs that sometimes sound as ones from a Church but who were put in an electronic holy water font. The song goes crescendo, lifted up by a mind-blowing and luminous chorus that makes it an instant success.

This is what was written in French articles about the song, do you guys think it's accurate?

I think we're going to have to hear the track first. I think if the nicorette line is vocoded then it would have a totally different vibe. I do have high hopes for the track even though I think this performance is not exactly perfect and some of the lyrics are questionable.

I agree about "no real chorus". That's why I fail to see how it's catchy because that's how I define catchy - a really addictive chorus. (Maybe Suzie and I are talking about different things.)

Anyway overall I like it and I think the track will be a win for me. I hope it's released soon since they've been working on these film projects.

The original was by Xine but a few things were bothering me so I did some editing [hardly anything] :mf_rosetinted:

I put any sentences I wrote in italics....the rest are just words or letters xP

:aah:

The Origin of Love

From the air I breathe, to the love I need

Only thing I know, you're the origin of love

From the god above, to the one I love

Only thing that's true, the origin is you

Love is a drug and you are my cigarette

Love is addiction and you are my Nicorette

Love is a drug, my chocolate, my cigarette

I'm being sick, I've got to medicate myself

I want your love, don't try and stop me

Can't get enough, still hanging on me

Your guilty heart don't let it break you

And if you pray well no one's gonna save you

I gave you all that you feel and everything you hold dear

If you feel broken and...

You are the sun and the light you are the freedom I fight

God will do nothing to stop it

The origin is youuuuuuuuuuuu

You're the origin of loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove

Love is a drug, like chocolate, like cigarettes

I'm feeling sick, I've got to medicate myself

Well if god is a priest and the devil is hell

There's a reason for love

Like every word that you preach like every

word that you teach

And every rule that you breach

You know the origin is youuu

From the air I breathe to the love I need

Only thing that's true the origin is you

(ajbfdbfmnd I LOVE THIS BIT, WHATEVER HE'S SAYING)

(It sounds like he's saying 'like stupid Adam and Eve' :doh: I was like *well, that's rude* :aah: ) Used to be Adam and Eve they found their love in a tree

God didn't think they deserved it

He taught them hate taught them pride

Gave them a leaf made them hide

Switched their stories aside

You know the origin is you

Some love is pain, some love is a candy cane

Tastes so sweet but leaves you feeling sick of pain

Your love is air I breathe it in and out dear

You're always there (something...maybe 'but believe'?) I didnt drown it

Love, you're the origin of love

You're the origin of love

You're the origin of love love love love (x6 and a bit :mf_rosetinted: )

Thank god that you found me

So I thank god that you found me

I have too much time on my hands :mf_rosetinted:

:biggrin2:

I don't get what's catchy about it. Maybe the recorded track will convince me :dunno: .

I could sing it back after one listen, basically, just like with Underwater and it keeps playing in my head - same was true about BIOTW though :teehee:

It's not about banality, it's the anti-religious message :naughty: This is a country where Jesus Takes the Wheel charts on the Billboard 100 and is played on mainstream radio...so... .

I wanted to compare it to Celebrate. That one is safe and simple enough in lyrics but I don't think it fits the US market, either, because of the sound, despite Pharrell's name plastered on it. So, if a Mika song gets refused to be played in the US I'd rather they refused it due to their bigotry than the outdated sound. :dunno:

The cigarette/nicorette lines not only are distasteful images (pun intended) but they don't fit with the "origin of love" concept. The Adam/Eve thing works but this doesn't.

I appreciate what he says in the interview about love also being painful and angsty, etc. but I think you have to be more subtle and poetic about it and not use words like "sick", "cigarette", "Nicorette", "medication", etc. It's like that horrible fish line in Lady Jane. It really clashes with the sentiment and theme of the song IMO. And the whole metaphor of love being a drug is so clichéd in any case.

I find it in place here because it breaks away from the conventional / spititual Adam and Eve theme towards the physical need, associating it with addicition. It is not simply about comparing love itself to an addicition but its root to it. Somehow it makes it more daring to me. In another context I may have not liked those lines.

The original was by Xine but a few things were bothering me so I did some editing [hardly anything] :mf_rosetinted:

:

OK, I'll review and update the first post if needed.

(ajbfdbfmnd I LOVE THIS BIT, WHATEVER HE'S SAYING)

That's in Latin. I love that, too. Nice slap in the face for bigots :biggrin2:

What's this 'no chorus' part in French articles? :aah:

that's the chorus - the song starts with it:

"From the air I breathe, to the love I need

Only thing that's true, the origin is you"

-really really catchy :dunno:

Edit: ok, in another one they write 'luminous chorus'. I agree.

Edited by suzie

What's this 'no chorus' part in French articles? :aah:

that's the chorus - the song starts with it:

"From the air I breathe, to the love I need

Only thing that's true, the origin is you"

-really really catchy :dunno:

:fangurl::wub2::swoon:

I think it's time we started a thread on the new song The Origin of Love.

I found this great recording on YT (Thanks to LaraMay)

[YOUTUBE]3OGyB99VL-0&feature=plcp[/YOUTUBE]

I don't have time to write much more but I think it is a great song and this one truely deserves to be called 'AMAZING' . :wub2:

I'll keep updating this first post with lyrics and the recorded version - I hope there will be a choir and all (:teehee:)

Lyrics from Christine:

The Origin of Love

Only thing I know is you're the origin of love

From the god above to the one I love

Love is a drug, my chocolate, my cigarette

I feel sick got to medicate myself

I want your love don't try to stop me

Can't get enough, still hanging on (?) me

Your guilty heart don't let it break you

And if you pray well no one's gonna save you

I gave you all that you feel and everything you hold dear

If you feel broken and...

You are the sun and the light you are the freedom I fight

God (?) will do nothing to stop

The origin is you

Love is a drug, like chocolate, like cigarette

I'm feeling sick got to medicate myself

Well if god is a priest and the devil is hell

There's a reason for love

Like every word that you preach like every

? that you teach

And every rule that you breach

Used to be Adam and Eve they found their love in a tree

God didn't think they deserved it

He taught them hate taught them pride

Gave them a leaf made them hide

Switched (?) their stories aside

Some love is pain, some love is a candy cane

Tastes so sweet but leave you feel sick ? pain

Your love is air I breathe it in and out dear

You're always there...

Love, you're the origin of love

You're the origin of love love love love

Only thing I know is that you're the origin of love

PS: sorry for ealier misspell, I typed in a haste

:fangurl::fangurl::fangurl:

thank you very much!

I do have high hopes for the track even though I think this performance is not exactly perfect and some of the lyrics are questionable..

yes, it was "not an exactly perfect peformance" :fisch: but it is a difficult one to sing with big jumps in the chorus. He needs to practice it more :glasses3:

I think we're going to have to hear the track first. I think if the nicorette line is vocoded then it would have a totally different vibe. .

The vocoded and electronic bits will make it sound different but I think this is just the case when you can tell from a raw live performance if the song has a potential or not / if you like it or not. The same thing happened with the Compiégne songs for me and some other people - just in the opposite direction. :teehee:

Edited by suzie

The vocoded and electronic bits will make it sound different but I think this is just the case when you can tell from a raw live performance if the song has a potential or not / if you like it or not.

Yes I agree. That's why I'm not entirely crazy about what we've heard so far but I can see the potential and I do like it.

I think if the nicorette lines are vocoded though the words won't be as "offensive" sounding. They may even be quasi-unintelligible, like the Latin bit.

And yes of course there IS a chorus, I just think it's weak. Other parts of the song are much better. I really don't like the use of the word "god" either.

Ok, I'm (99.99%) sure! He does say 'like stupid Adam and Eve' ;p

:lmfao: I'll have a listen again when I get home tonight. Thanks for going over it. :wink2:

I just got to say, when I filmed this, I was in complete emotional awe the entire time. It's so hard to describe, but you know, finally getting to hear TOOL and it turns out to be such an incredible song, it's just... :wub2:

I can't wait to hear the studio version of this!

I think if the nicorette lines are vocoded though the words won't be as "offensive" sounding. They may even be quasi-unintelligible, like the Latin bit.

oh, I think the Latin bit can be fun - I can't wait to hear a proper version to put those words together because besides pharases like Magne Deus (Great God) he sings 'machismo' , I think (:blink:) so this Spanish- Latin mix that he sings might turn out to be rather peculiar when we translate it. :roftl:

PS: now I hear padre deus - so I think I need to go home and have a rest before I invent a new language :naughty:

Edited by suzie