Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

My conclusion: Boring.

Same thoughts here... I was hoping for something more relevant to the song's meaning (eventhough there could be many different ones), like the roman catholic church's opposition to homosexuality and all of that. How the only thing that mattered was the love between two people. Could've had such a powerful message in it. Too lazy to go on, but I'm disappointed. Nice to see that a lot of people enjoyed the concept though, just not my cup of tea.

i'm not "shocked" as such by the nudity in the video, it's in fact not unusual to see nowadays, anyway in my country. i just wonder why it was necessary. the scenes would've worked without showing private parts. :fisch: but in the e-mail mikasounds sent out today the subject said "controversial video" - maybe that's why they did it: to be controversial and to get people talking about it. well, if some guys watch the video because they want to see a naked woman and then start liking mika's song, why not. :teehee: for me it's defintely enough though to have it watched once. well ok twice, the 2nd time i recorded the song so i don't have to watch the video again to hear it. :naughty:

Same thoughts here... I was hoping for something more relevant to the song's meaning (eventhough there could be many different ones), like the roman catholic church's opposition to homosexuality and all of that. How the only thing that mattered was the love between two people. Could've had such a powerful message in it.

I don't think any of that is required. I mean I am fine with the filmmaker doing whatever they want and not trying to dig into the meaning behind Mika's lyrics. But I thought the filming was amateurish (and the whole aesthetic unappealing) and I don't connect with the actors at all. Mika's song is besides the point.

I don't think any of that is required. I mean I am fine with the filmmaker doing whatever they want and not trying to dig into the meaning behind Mika's lyrics. But I thought the filming was amateurish (and the whole aesthetic unappealing) and I don't connect with the actors at all. Mika's song is besides the point.

the acting was ...ahmmm...let's say lackluster.....:teehee:

Same thoughts here... I was hoping for something more relevant to the song's meaning (eventhough there could be many different ones), like the roman catholic church's opposition to homosexuality and all of that. How the only thing that mattered was the love between two people. Could've had such a powerful message in it. Too lazy to go on, but I'm disappointed. Nice to see that a lot of people enjoyed the concept though, just not my cup of tea.

:thumb_yello: EXACTLY!!! He should have used a gay couple! The video is nicely filmed and edited, i like the vintage style but the message is kinda weak :sneaky2: we only see people kissing like that was the only thing love meant! The song is so powerfull in its lyrics, a way better video could be made with or without Mika in it!

I don't think about it as a Mika video, maybe that's why I like it. It's a short film, a complicated love story with a happy ending. I love these kind of movies and I wouldn't mind to watch this one if it was a real movie :pinkbow:

i like it for what it is, not as a music video or something Mika was even involved in, but as one director's interpretation of the song.

I'm really surprised how strongly this film divides people. For me it's a complicated little film which has a lot of layers (I have some new thoughts every time I watch it) and it's absurd but still really beautiful :wub2: I honestly moved to tears when I watched it for the first time, a strong, even shocking story with a happy end.

I agree with you all for the most part -- it's NOT a Mika video, and it's not ABOUT the song, per se. It's the director's interpretation of what he thought of when he heard the song. Whether a person agrees with the director's vision or interpretation is up to the individual. You may not agree with it, but he sees it how he sees it, and that's his right, that's where art comes from basically -- from someone seeing or feeling something and trying to interpret what they see/feel in a different way. It's like Picasso -- his abstract interpretation of what a woman looks like is certainly not the same as mine! But I can still beauty in his work and can appreciate it as art.

But I don't think this video is that complicated of a story -- in fact, it strikes me as fairly straightforward. As I said several pages ago, I believe the woman is in a clinic-type setting getting treatment for an addiction. To me, it appears to be behavior modification using aversion therapy -- they are forcing her to keep her eyes open and watch videos of her good times with her lover, and I'm assuming at the same time they are somehow either medicating her or creating negative feelings in her so that she associates what were formerly happy memories with those bad feelings, thus breaking the addiction to love. It is very "A Clockwork Orange," which, if you've read the book or seen the film, used a similar treatment to break the protagonist of his thug-like ways -- they gave him drugs to make him feel nauseous while making him watch violent films, so that he "learned" new behavior.

Anyhow... clearly this treatment hasn't worked on the heroine. She sneaks out of the clinic to return to her lover. She's not been cured of her addiction to him at all. And they and their lovely dog walk off into the sunset together to live happily addicted ever after. :wub2:

At least, that's my interpretation of the director's interpretation. And like Nina, it really affected me -- definitely moved me to tears. I've actually only watched it the one time so far... but the images really stick with me.

Unfortunately it is what I feel for the first time :tears:

but in the strange way ..... that's O.K.:wink2:

It is perfectly OK, Katia -- we can't all love everything Mika does all the time. :wink2: And I still love you anyway! :huglove:

:lmfao:

I had a feeling you might say that. Here I am struggling to sum up my feelings for the video in a concise way because I loved it so much -- and you can put yours out in one word. :naughty:

I'm a bit torn... It didn,t move me to tears... but it's not boring either:thumb_yello:

But I prefer the make you happy film (maybe because it displays my city is sucha beautiful way)

Strangely, I think thoses 2 films display mostly the same things, for 2 completely different songs:wink2: Simlpy: love is everyhting:wub2:

But I don't think this video is that complicated of a story -- in fact, it strikes me as fairly straightforward. As I said several pages ago, I believe the woman is in a clinic-type setting getting treatment for an addiction. To me, it appears to be behavior modification using aversion therapy -- they are forcing her to keep her eyes open and watch videos of her good times with her lover, and I'm assuming at the same time they are somehow either medicating her or creating negative feelings in her so that she associates what were formerly happy memories with those bad feelings, thus breaking the addiction to love. It is very "A Clockwork Orange," which, if you've read the book or seen the film, used a similar treatment to break the protagonist of his thug-like ways -- they gave him drugs to make him feel nauseous while making him watch violent films, so that he "learned" new behavior.

You are right here, I guess the film itself is complicated (compared to basic music videos and the MYH film) and need to be watched a few times to understand the details :thumb_yello: The story itself is straightforward.

I love this idea indeed and hope to see more films! I won't mind if I don't love every film equally, so far I like both of them a lot.

Edited by tiibet

i'm not "shocked" as such by the nudity in the video, it's in fact not unusual to see nowadays, anyway in my country. i just wonder why it was necessary. the scenes would've worked without showing private parts. but in the e-mail mikasounds sent out today the subject said "controversial video" - maybe that's why they did it: to be controversial and to get people talking about it. well, if some guys watch the video because they want to see a naked woman and then start liking mika's song, why not. for me it's defintely enough though to have it watched once. well ok twice, the 2nd time i recorded the song so i don't have to watch the video again to hear it.

I had to laugh when I read that email. Is this video controversial? Seriously? Perhaps if we're talking about how many people like it vs how many people dislike it. I can understand the nudity e.g. might depend on culture / religion. Other than that? :dunno:

For me it wasn't controversial though and I think it's quite boring they're making this big deal out of it to perhaps attract more attention.

I call it the Meredith Grey School of Acting that seems to be so popular with central female characters in TV today.

Happiness: :blink:

Anger: :blink:

Embarrassment: :blink:

Shock: :blink:

Lust: :blink:

Agony: :blink:

Elation: :blink:

Fear: :blink:

Yes, I can add quite a few actresses to that list. Though I don't think the girl was that bad. I thought the man, and the nurse in particular were much worse :naughty:

Ha, I hate that movie :aah:

Anyway, when it comes to movies I prefer the cinematography to the story. The atmosphere, mood, colors, aesthetic aspect, the emotions that are being evoked, the music score etc. are mainly what makes me love a movie.

Based on that I can say I don't like this film, I find the result just plain ugly. :dunno: MYH was much better imo.

I liked the dog though.

I had to laugh when I read that email. Is this video controversial? Seriously? Perhaps if we're talking about how many people like it vs how many people dislike it. I can understand the nudity e.g. might depend on culture / religion. Other than that? :dunno:

For me it wasn't controversial though and I think it's quite boring they're making this big deal out of it to perhaps attract more attention.

That's probably the reason for "controversial", the film is very different compared to how many people see the song. Also, it's a bit absurd, some people like that style some don't. I like it.

Okay now that I've watched it again I sort of get the plot... I think. I fail to see where the love addiction was a bad thing, it's not like it seems to have any negative effect on her so why would she need rehab? ... okay I still don't get it at all :mf_rosetinted: So are we gonna get little movies for all the songs? :teehee:

My 2 cents..please ignore me if you feel too!

I loved the video at first cause I thought the story behind it was more complicated than it seemed and I had this bittersweet sensation left that was intriguing somehow..I thought the video wouldn't match the joy of the music..I thought it was the opposite. So I was satisfied..then I asked to Jimenez the exact meaning of what we saw..why the girl was forced to remember and he replied (really polite) cause she was in rehab. Then I finally understand that the concept behind this video is very simple (drug=addiction, love=healing) and I must admit that, even if is well done indeed, I like it a bit less. I like more complicated things I guess..

Anyway, despite what I feel personally, I think that this is a way to express what Mika told about the song: love is "absolute" and surrounds you..and this is what this video represents..somehow :wink2:

I quote sarina because she went directly to the director :teehee:

is the rehab for drug addiction OR love addiction? :blink:

Okay now that I've watched it again I sort of get the plot... I think. I fail to see where the love addiction was a bad thing, it's not like it seems to have any negative effect on her so why would she need rehab? ... okay I still don't get it at all :mf_rosetinted: So are we gonna get little movies for all the songs? :teehee:

i hope so...it's a nice bonus anyway :thumb_yello:

yes, I get this.

but sarina implies she's in rehab for drug and love is the cure. love=drug+cure at the same time is a different perspective.

well I said I didn't get it, guess I really didn't :lmfao:

:roftl:

I actually liked the 'amateurish' and simple nature of it and also that it is difficult to 'get' - probably because it does not actually reflect the point in Mika's song. I still think it is a great video simply because it is different from the rest of them out there.

yes, I get this.

but sarina implies she's in rehab for drug and love is the cure. love=drug+cure at the same time is a different perspective.

That is my interpretation s well of the director's interpretation of the song...

and masses of under18 have and will run to watch it just for the warning!

so it is a great video, we can conclude:thumb_yello:

I call it the Meredith Grey School of Acting that seems to be so popular with central female characters in TV today.

Happiness: :blink:

Anger: :blink:

Embarrassment: :blink:

Shock: :blink:

Lust: :blink:

Agony: :blink:

Fear: :blink:

:naugh ty:

:lmfao:

Oh gosh I loved Meredith!! (or maybe I loved more Patrick Dempsey, not sure :mf_rosetinted:) but yes, Meredith´s face was like that always. Same happens with Steven Seagal LOL

Ok, out of topic. I didn´t like the video and won´t watch it again.

It´s the first time Mika dissociates himself from something directly related to him :aah: I mean... he always says he does EVERYTHING (writes songs, design covers, decides choreography...) so, I take it as he doesn´t like the video either :lmfao: and I´m not saying he doesn´t, I´m just saying that I take it that way. And so, for me, that´s reason enough to not watch it again.

I want to know what this song represents for Mika... but what it represents for an unknown director I never heard before...nah, I don´t care. If at least it was beautiful, funny, ACTUALLY CONTROVERSIAL, interesting...but it´s not, so... (unless there´s a super funny new off topic here) I don´t think I´m gonna bother you all again here :aah:

It´s the first time Mika dissociates himself from something directly related to him :aah: I mean... he always says he does EVERYTHING (writes songs, design covers, decides choreography...) so, I take it as he doesn´t like the video either :lmfao: and I´m not saying he doesn´t, I´m just saying that I take it that way. And so, for me, that´s reason enough to not watch it again.

I don't think he had much to do with EMD, either, or even MYH and if he wanted to dissociate himself from the video he would have already done it by not letting it be aired.

To me what the video mainly lacks in is basically having any relevance to the music and also showing different levels / meanings. It is a simple one but to me it looks 'trendy' so functions well as a music video. Most people wouldn't understand complex messages, anyway.