Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

I think I heard that too but I was hoping it was more original than repeating "word" twice. :aah: It's possible he didn't sing the lyrics perfectly though and there may be some errors in the live version. I think we'll probably be able to figure it out once more performances come in.

He often mixes up lyrics so that is the most reasonable explanation, I think.

Yes but it's far from perfect for me. :naughty: Of course I just heard "chillin' by the fire while we eatin' fondue" in a Justin Bieber song so maybe the Nicorette line isn't so bad. :lmfao:

I agree.

:lmfao:

Well it's better than both MYH and Celebrate IMO but didn't exactly capture my attention like previous songs have. :( Maybe I'm just passed it all now but I'll wait until I hear the studio version at least.

Girls, I'm so happy! I totally like it!

After my sad experience with previous two, esp. being so bored with Celebrate, I was prepared to dislike this one too... well, in the other words, I was afraid to listen to it in order not to be frustrated again.

But no! It caught me instantly, and I felt such a FREEDOM!!!

I' utterly happy to feel what I missed :fangurl: Thanks God and thanks Mika :bow:

Now I'm not so apprehensive in a bad way about the TOOL.

I can't wait! :boing:

I'm the happiest person in the world :)

I'm hoping the album version will be better, but to be honest I found it a bit of a mishmash? It just seemed to meander on a bit.

I know in that interview he said it started quiet, built up to a climax, and then got quieter again, but I don't think that structure came over live.

I keep thinking it's "Underwater", but faster.

I'm hoping the album version will be better, but to be honest I found it a bit of a mishmash? It just seemed to meander on a bit.

I know in that interview he said it started quiet, built up to a climax, and then got quieter again, but I don't think that structure came over live.

Someone said before it reminded her of Kick Ass...

Fortunately I´m totally deaf and I hardly see resemblance between songs, so this one doesn´t reminds me of anything.

But hey, since when I arrived on here TBWKTM was already released, I missed the last emotions... do you people liked WAG, Rain and all the songs when you first listened to them? It´s just to see if our reactions now are normal, or Mika is totally failing in his career :mf_rosetinted:

that is!

after watching the first videos it reminded kick Ass to me (it was me Rosa :wink2:), but after laramay's one i also say it's Underwater, but mixed up and faster.

so far, I don't like it :mf_rosetinted:

Fortunately I´m totally deaf and I hardly see resemblance between songs, so this one doesn´t reminds me of anything.

But hey, since when I arrived on here TBWKTM was already released, I missed the last emotions... do you people liked WAG, Rain and all the songs when you first listened to them? It´s just to see if our reactions now are normal, or Mika is totally failing in his career :mf_rosetinted:

Loved WAG when I first heard it, same with Rain (not the acoustic version from that Paris concert though :naughty:) but the experience with these new songs are completely different for me.

Fortunately I´m totally deaf and I hardly see resemblance between songs, so this one doesn´t reminds me of anything.:

It reminds me of Bohemian Rhapsody in being a complex song with genres mixed and even theatrical elements and I obviously mean it as a compliment. :thumb_yello:

Toy Boy (live version) was a favourite but not the album version. That was well before we heard the other songs.

Lady Jane - not a real favourite for most- lots of semantic debate on it :roftl:

Blue Eyes was liked by most.

WAG - absolutely mixed reaction from old fans, some people never returned..

Rain - the fast version preferred over the slow one he perfomed the previous summer

when the album was released there was a survey and I think One Foot Boy and Touches You turned out to be the favourite songs on the album but By the Time and Pick Up Off the Floor were loved, too.

Didn't like WAG at all (and still don't, though it's OK live with less falsetto); Rain sounded like dying cats at PDP, but the album version was great and ended up as one of my favourites.

You can't always go by first reactions, I know. I must admit I was dismayed when I heard the vocoder lines in MYH, but without the distraction of the video it has really grown on me.

But Celebrate? :no::thumbdown:

that is!

after watching the first videos it reminded kick Ass to me (it was me Rosa :wink2:), but after laramay's one i also say it's Underwater, but mixed up and faster.

so far, I don't like it :mf_rosetinted:

shush :mf_rosetinted: you should set an example :mf_rosetinted:

Sometimes I´m happy Im deaf :aah: I can enjoy the same song for ages till I get used to it :aah:

Loved WAG when I first heard it, same with Rain (not the acoustic version from that Paris concert though :naughty:) but the experience with these new songs are completely different for me.

Oh... But... were you in your "ohmyGodMikaisfantasticIlovehimmorethanmylife" period? :teehee: I mean, I think it´s different listening to a song when you are "up" in feelings (sorry, I´m a bit hard to understand sometimes) than when you are not... you know what I mean??

I just want to get rid of this feeling which is making me feel that he is losing a lot of his old fans due to his new direction...

Didn't like WAG at all (and still don't, though it's OK live with less falsetto); Rain sounded like dying cats at PDP, but the album version was great and ended up as one of my favourites.

You can't always go by first reactions, I know. I must admit I was dismayed when I heard the vocoder lines in MYH, but without the distraction of the video it has really grown on me.

But Celebrate? :no::thumbdown:

:floor: :floor:

I love the way you express yourself!!!:aah:

Ok, then there´s still hope :mf_rosetinted:

I just about lost my mind over the first acoustic version of Rain it was so painful to my ears :lmfao: But I liked the track and I liked the WAG track a lot as well.

Regarding Underwater - I was thinking earlier that the sentiments of UW and TOOL are too similar and a bit redundant (your lover is more precious than life itself, we get it!! :bleh:). So far I think Underwater is better but it remains to be seen (heard) which track is better I guess.

It reminds me of Bohemian Rhapsody in being a complex song with genres mixed and even theatrical elements and I obviously mean it as a compliment. :thumb_yello:

Toy Boy (live version) was a favourite but not the album version. That was well before we heard the other songs.

Lady Jane - not a real favourite for most- lots of semantic debate on it :roftl:

Blue Eyes was liked by most.

WAG - absolutely mixed reaction from old fans, some people never returned..

Rain - the fast version preferred over the slow one he perfomed the previous summer

when the album was released there was a survey and I think One Foot Boy and Touches You turned out to be the favourite songs on the album but By the Time and Pick Up Off the Floor were loved, too.

So, you think this time is the same?? I mean, how do you feel it? ARE YOU PEOPLE I KNOW FOR AGES REMAINING HERE, AREN´T YOU???

I just about lost my mind over the first acoustic version of Rain it was so painful to my ears :lmfao: But I liked the track and I liked the WAG track a lot as well.

Regarding Underwater - I was thinking earlier that the sentiments of UW and TOOL are too similar and a bit redundant (your lover is more precious than life itself, we get it!! :bleh:). So far I think Underwater is better but it remains to be seen (heard) which track is better I guess.

It's almost like OOL is a variation on the theme of Underwater :naughty:

That's what I thought too, the vocal melodies in the bridge really remind me of the verses of Underwater, but still very different.

I can agree. I thought about UW as well. Maybe not only because of the song structure and melody, but also because of feelings that it arises.

I first listened to Rain (album version) and tbh I freaked out a bit when I later watched PDP :aah:

And about Tool and UW being similar, oh well, I guess if the album itself is all about love, he needs to be redundant...

Mika, if you want us to understand many of the lines of your songs, introduce us your amazing lover. It´ll help a lot. :mf_rosetinted:

So interesting to watch such different reactions. Why everybody were so happy about Celebrate, and I felt only bored? And now - why people who praised Celebrate don't like Origin of Love?

It's both Mika's strength and his weakness - that everyone can find a Mika song they like, but not enough people like any one song to make it a huge hit (with a few exceptions like GK, of course).

So, you think this time is the same?? I mean, how do you feel it? ARE YOU PEOPLE I KNOW FOR AGES REMAINING HERE, AREN´T YOU???

No. The reaction to WAG was similar to Celebrate - mixed feelings, considered 'commercial and lightweight'. So that is a bad sign sincce that is the first single.

Considering the other songs though, I think Underwater and The Origin of Love seem to enjoy almost unanimous popularity. Of course there are people who don't like them but the emotions of those who do are way more enthusiastic than when we heard BIOTG, GGG or any other songs on TBWKTM, in my opinion.

Make You Happy is not a single, not everyone is cut to listen to that type of song, I understand that (even though I think it is great).

However, we have not heared the recorded versions yet ...

So interesting to watch such different reactions. Why everybody were so happy about Celebrate, and I felt only bored? And now - why people who praised Celebrate don't like Origin of Love?

I was discussing the lyrics with someone this morning and for me there is a big difference between simple lyrics and "bad" lyrics. For example someone could sing nothing but "celebrate" randomly throughout a dancey/trancey song and I could like it if the music was good and the vocal sounded nice. But I hear "Nicorette" or "fish" or "blame it on the weather" :mf_rosetinted: and it makes me wince, almost as badly as if someone is singing off pitch. Some lyrics are so "bad" they can ruin an otherwise decent song.

No. The reaction to WAG was similar to Celebrate - mixed feelings, considered 'commercial and lightweight'. So that is a bad sign sincce that is the first single.

Considering the other songs though, I think Underwater and The Origin of Love seem to enjoy almost unanimous popularity. Of course there are people who don't like them but the emotions of those who do are way more enthusiastic than when we heard BIOTG, GGG or any other songs on TBWKTM, in my opinion.

Make You Happy is not a single, not everyone is cut to listen to that type of song, I understand that (even though I think it is great).

However, we have not heared the recorded versions yet ...

Aha... what I see very similar to TBWKTM is that Mika is leaking lots of songs before the release. Not sure if it´s good... or not...