Mika's band since 2012.

nenartus

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know that an interview with Tristan has been posted here....

It's interesting to read.

MERC SOUNDS

http://www.merc.com/mercblog/merc-sounds---tristan-cassel-delavois-2197/

TRISTAN CASSEL-DELAVOIS

30/01/2014

Tristan.png 

Tristan Cassel-Delavois is a 33 year old professional musician who popped into Merc Towers recently to tell us all about how his journey from playing the violin as a small child led to him touring the world with the legendary 'trip hop' icon Tricky and becoming a mainstay in Tim Minchin's live comedy and music shows!
Crediting his Father with igniting a passion for music that came from being encouraged to learn about 'proper' music, the violin gave him a discipline and outlook that soon found in Tristan's mind a more natural place in the guitar, having been blown away after his first listen to Guns 'n' Roses. Moving to London at 18 and studying at 'Guitar Tech' college and a degree in music performance, whilst working in a music shop, the continual practice, playing and performing, led to an audition to go on a world tour with Tricky, a job he has held ever since. Around the same time Tim Minchin got his band together which he also got involved with. He thinks he's very lucky to be associated with cool and interesting artists, but we reckon he's a man of many talents and stories.
Here is what he had to say!

Tristan Cassel-Delavois, what a name! Where does that all come from?
Ha ha, it's a sign of me being a bit of a European mongrel!
I'm half French, a quarter Swedish and a quarter Polish. Very mixed background but I've lived in England all my life, in London since I was 18!
I am bilingual though, speak fluent French, which can be handy on my travels!

How has the journey as a musician been so far?
A very slow and steady journey. I played music from an early age, studied it and its many many guises, so it's taken me a long time to get where I am now as a working, professional musician.
I've been very lucky, nearly every job I've had, I've managed to keep onto, most notably being in Trickys and Tim Minchin's band. It's also really helped develop me as a person, my confidence and my outlook has been dramatically changed by touring the world, meeting people and experiences I've had. The more I've done it, the more I want to do.

What goals do you want to achieve in the year ahead?
Firstly we've just started rehearsing for Tricky's next world tour which I think will start in May and will run till the end of the year. Really looking forward to this, launching a new album and we always go to some amazing parts of the world. These tours are very challenging musically as Tricky often prefers not to use a set list but to direct the performance depending on how he feels and the reaction of the crowd. You have to be fully focused, all eyes on him and where he is going; it's totally developed me as a musician! These are skills that I now use in all aspects of my career. I know it’s not a big deal but I would prefer to say we will be starting rehearsals as technically they haven’t really started yet.
I'm also a total geek, fascinated with computers, how things work and what goes where. So I'm also very keen to develop my mixing and producing skills, not only of music but also the lighting and rigs that go to making a live show work! There are some amazing things you can do that in the past would have cost too much to do, that with advances in technology, are more accessible to smaller artists now! I'm keen to try and do a bit more writing for TV and Film as writing for picture is a challenge I'd relish.

Have you always wanted to be a musician?
My earliest dream job was probably an astronaut to be fair, but in hindsight that was never going to happen. From the moment I picked up the guitar it felt right (I held my Violin sideways and on my hip from then on!); it's taken a while and a lot of 'is this going to work?' but I've loved the journey and proud of where I've got to.

Are your rehearsals a crazy affair or do you just get the job done?
I love rehearsing, as a self proclaimed geek it's like building something. I enjoy watching the songs and the performance develop from sometimes 'ropey' beginnings to a level where people would pay to come and see it!

Where does the inspiration for your own material come from?
I like to sit down, usually late at night and just write. I don't write from a concept. I write the music first and then the words appear. Songs, melodies and words can pop into my head at any time however, it's not unusual for an idea to hit me in the middle of the street and I have to stop and hum or sing into my phone and try not to look like a nutter! I always have a studio ready to go at home, but as I say it's normally late at night inspiration strikes. When I lived with my parents I sometimes recorded through the night and had to keep it down so as not to wake anyone up.

What are your current favourite songs?
I'm obsessed with an artist called Tim Hecker, very sort of abstract electronic ambient techno, I saw him play in East London and was blown away. I loved rock as a kid, still do, Unknown Mortal Orchestra are very cool and retro. I also like the minimalist thing that the XX have. Very eclectic I know, works well with playing for Tricky who switches between genres effortlessly!

What advice would you have for people aspiring to start a career in music?
To find your style and immerse yourself in it.
Play as much as possible, get to know as many people as you can. Be an individual and be open minded. I started as a rock musician which led me to joining Tricky's band, something I initially would never have thought was my scene, but it's where all sorts of musicians with multiple backgrounds have found their place.

If you could sum yourself up in 3 words, what would they be?
Acoustic - that's my vibe really, it's what I seem to go to when I'm tinkering.
Epic - I like the combinations of big reverb and completely dry sounds.
Atmospheric. And then some more atmosphere on top.

What's the best venue you've performed at, so far?
I've been lucky to play across the world at some amazing places. The best crowd was at a Tricky gig in the Ukraine about 3 years ago; they were mental, so loud and up for it, very intense! Another one that springs to mind is also a Tricky gig (sorry Tim, you've had some amazing shows too!) which was at a festival on a beach in Italy. Everyone seemed to be lighting those paper lanterns that float up into the air. The sky was full of them, these rising balloons on fire, I can see it now!

What's the most obscure thing that's happened to you at a gig?
The most random was when we arrived for a show in the States and the bass player had a terrible headache. A crew member offered some painkillers, but said they were very strong so to be careful. The bassist took them all and with an hour to go before the show could no longer walk or talk which meant I had to teach the monitor guy the basics of the songs before we went on. Strangely enough it turned out to be a great show.

Tell us an unusual fact about yourself.
I'm unusually obsessed with how things work, I'm always fixing things and trying to get to the bottom of the mechanics of everything, it fascinates me. I think I'm generally a bit obsessive about not getting beaten by things or not understanding things properly. I want to be good at everything even though I’m clearly not. I started a bit of boxing training recently and I'm awful! Even that annoyed me!!

Who is your style icon?
I like the look the XX have, look well styled. I'm normally found wearing various shades of black!

Parka or Duffel coat?
Don't actually have either but at the moment would probably say Duffel coat.

What's next for Tristan Cassel-Delavois?
The immediate future is remixing a track for 'Bear Nang', it's a dance act that I initially got involved with on the technical side, but am now remixing and involved with the video and we are planning our next show. It's good fun, we ran a New Year's Eve night at 'The George' in Stepney green and it took me 3 days to recover. I'm also putting the finishing touches to a solo track called “Illusion” which should be finished and mastered soon. That's not forgetting the preparation that's already underway for the new Tricky tour, all the computers and programming stuff is already in motion and the rehearsals will begin soon!

A man with a huge number of talents and even more stories, a real pleasure to chat to, ladies and gentlemen, Tristan Cassel- Delavois!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is Yuko.:)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I managed to go to Creepy Neighbour's gig for the first time in July in London, so I would like to share some videos I recorded. 
I was in London for my holiday. Max threw a gig in a perfect timing, so I was able to visit. 

【Max】
As always, Max was very cheerful and very kind so I really enjoyed talking with him. 
It was great to see him again, especially at a venue, when he is a main vocalist of his own band.
After the gig, he told me that he always moves around on the stage of Mika's concerts, but for his gigs, he has to stay in front of the microphone to sing a whole song playing the base from the beginning to end, so he has to try not to move, and that's one of the different things between the two.
I think he tweeted about the condition of his vocal chord at the beginning of July, but from hearing his singing voice, it sounded ok to me.

【Curtis】
Curtis was also there. I heard that there were a Creepy Neighbour's gig without him in the past, so I felt very lucky.
It was my first time to talk with him, but he talked to me kindly and friendly so that made me feel comfortable to have a conversation with him.
Although it was a short time, I kind of saw his personality and now I understand more, why Mika trust him so much. ;)

【Harry & Sam】
Of course, not to mention, Max's brother Harry(drum) and Sam(guitar) were very nice too.
Harry kept smiling and the way he looked at Max, was telling how much he loves his little brother.
I wish I managed to take a good photo or a video of his big and gentle smile.
Sam(guitar) looked a bit scary at first but he was a kind of cute guy. When I asked him if I can have his autographs on a CN cap, he signed and took a picture of it himself, which was very sweet.

【7 songs】
Their stage was really great. 
I really like Max's songs so I really enjoyed watching them play live. Sometimes I sang along.

It was really good for me that I could see Max and Curtis as much as I want.
Because if it's Mika's concert, my eyes are fixed on Mika, trying not to miss a thing. So actually in the recent concerts, I really tried to see them properly during Staring At The Sun, when I can't see Mika.

I really don't know how to explain how much I enjoyed their gig.
Please watch the videos, although the quality isn't good. I have to apologise because I'm very bad at taking videos with my iPhone.

*I got a permition of Max to share these videos I recorded on the internet. ;)

Sorry if any of the titles are wrong. Please let me know if you know the proper ones.

Break A Leg

Millionaire Spaceman

Happy Birthday

https://youtu.be/mhHoXTVxyQI

Tom Hanks

https://youtu.be/3Hv_81IVUWs

Draw A Map

https://youtu.be/iq8GKSwYNLo

Be Friends

https://youtu.be/76r3ngtD4a0

Mothers Ruined (*I'm really not sure of the title of this song.)

the full video (from the soundcheck)
*I dubbed the audio for this one only.

Thank you for reading.
※I'm sorry but I don't know why these YouTube links show like this. :(

Yuko
Edited by Yuko_lyrubi
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 8:07 AM, Mikasister said:

34338820_2213560632255876_43204742477774848_n.jpg

4092508-concert-de-mika-apres-la-finale-

^another pic with the as-yet-unidentified new drummer^

i wonder if he'll stick around or if Ed will be back?

:teehee: awwwww i just noticed how short Max looks compared to the others

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2018 at 5:07 AM, kreacher said:

4092508-concert-de-mika-apres-la-finale-

^another pic with the as-yet-unidentified new drummer^

i wonder if he'll stick around or if Ed will be back?

:teehee: awwwww i just noticed how short Max looks compared to the others

I loved Ed but the most drummer I loved was Cherisse.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Mikasister said:

New drummer and no woman in the band hmmmmm very bad,  Mika  :thumbdown:

32125542138_cf3926864a_b.jpg

maybe it's a provisional band but as there're are the "old" members :dunno:

Maybe he's tired of being hit on by girls! :biggrin2:

1 hour ago, Mikasister said:

Girls in band or fans becuse he has women in it? 

When you see how he was afraid of the girl he took on his team at The Voice, and who was openly lighting it up!  :roftl:

Edited by Loo