Popular Song - Discussion

mellody

Definitely one of my fave songs from this album! :wub2:

Here's what I could figure out from the lyrics so far, not sure about a few bits though... any other ideas? :wink2:

EDIT: Lyrics so far (group effort :) )

Psychotic Barney Mika Rap

Laa laa, laa laa

You were the popular one, the popular chick

It is what it is, now I'm popular b*tch

Standing on the field with your pretty pom-pom

Now you're working at the movies selling popular corn

I could've been a mess but I never went wrong

'Cause I'm putting down my stories in a popular song

Mh, Ah, Oh

Said I'm putting down my story in a popular song

My problem

I never was a model

I never was a scholar

You were always popular

You were singing

All the songs i don't know

Now you're in the front row

'Cause my song is popular

Popular, I know about popular

It's not about who you are or your fancy car

You're only ever who you were

And all that you have to do is be true to you

That's all you ever need to know

Catch up! 'Cause you got an awful long way to go

Always on the lookout for someone to hate

Picking on me like a dinner plate

I hid during classes and in between them

Dunk me in the toilets now it's you that cleans them

You're tryin' to make me feel bad with the sh*t you do

It ain't so funny when the joke's on you

Ooh, the joke's on you

And everyone's laughing

Got everyone clapping, asking

How come you look so cool

'Cause that's the only thing that I learned at school

What? Uh-huh

So that's the only thing that I learned at school

My problem

I never was a model

I never was a scholar

You were always popular

You were singing

Before the next time that you call him crazy, lazy

A faggot or that fugazi

Here's the one thing that's so amazing

It ain't a bad thing to be a loser baby

All you ever need to know

(repeat)

Edited by dcdeb

Definitely one of my fave songs from this album! :wub2:

Here's what I could figure out from the lyrics so far, not sure about a few bits though... any other ideas? :wink2:

You were singing

It's not about who you are

Or your fancy car

But only ever who you were

And all that you have to do

Is stay true to you

Catch up! 'Cause you got another long way to go

Catch up! 'Cause you got another long way to go

I hate during classes and in between them

Dunk me in the toilets (...?...) clean them

You're tryin' to make me feel bad with the sh*t you do

Uh, the joke's on you

And everyone's laughing

Then everyone clapping, asking

Cause that's the only thing that I learned at school

What? A-ha!

So that's the only thing that I learned at school

That's my problem

I never was a model

I never was a star but

You were always popular

I think I can fill in a few of your blanks, Karin :thumb_yello:

and I hear a few words a little differently -- let me know what you think:

You were singing

All the songs I don't know

Popular

I know about popular

It's not about who you are

Or your fancy car

Popular

I know about popular

And all that you have to do

Is be true to you

Catch up 'cause you got an awful long way to go

Catch up 'cause you got an awful long way to go

I hid during classes and in between them

Dunk me in the toilets now it's you that cleans them

Trying to make me feel bad with the sh*t you do

Oooh, the joke's on you

And everyone's laughing got everyone clapping

asking

'Cause that's the only thing I learned at school

What? Uh huh

So that's the only thing I learned at school

My problem I never was a model

I never was a star(ter?)

You were always popular

You were singing...

Another one of my faves :wub2:

From what I can hear it's

'I hid during classes and in between them

Dunk me in the toilets now it's you that cleans them'

I think I can fill in a few of your blanks, Karin :thumb_yello:

and I hear a few words a little differently -- let me know what you think:

thanks girls! :biggrin2:

deb, i agree with most of your changes - just i think she in fact sings a very short "You('re)" before "tryin' to make me feel bad" - that's the problem with rap, often words are half-swallowed to make it fit the rhythm. :teehee: And it's definitely " the only thing THAT I learned at school". i'll add your changes to the first post, hope that's ok for you? :wink2:

Finally someone who likes it too! I thought I'm the only one!

Meh' date=' I don't actually like this at all. It's the only one off the album that I'm seriously disappointed in. :huh:[/quote']

tbh, i can't understand how anyone could *not* like this song :teehee: - besides maybe if they have a general problem with rap. when i first heard this at the album pre-listening in milan, in the beginning of the song i was like :shocked: mika RAPS?! :shocked: (the song starts with a rap :wink2:) but then he started singing and i fell in love with the song. :wub2: and now i also love the rap, yes it's unusual for mika, but it sounds cool. and i love his voice. :teehee:

generally, the melody is beautiful (i have to admit, to me it was new, i never saw/heard the musical wicked...:blush-anim-cl:), the rhythm is really groovy (somehow i automatically start moving when i hear this song :teehee:), and the lyrics are funny and witty. in the first verse there's this "now you're in the movies selling popular corn" bit, that mika once tweeted about. he obviously loves this bit of lyrics, he recited it to us in milan, looking really proud. :wub2:

this one and step with me were my faves of the new songs (i.e. of the ones we hadn't heard before) at the pre-listening, and since step with me got changed, popular song might well become my fave song of the album. though there's still love you when i'm drunk... and underwater... and tool... etc. :teehee:

thanks girls! :biggrin2:

deb, i agree with most of your changes - just i think she in fact sings a very short "You('re)" before "tryin' to make me feel bad" - that's the problem with rap, often words are half-swallowed to make it fit the rhythm. :teehee: And it's definitely " the only thing THAT I learned at school". i'll add your changes to the first post, hope that's ok for you? :wink2:

:thumb_yello:

generally, the melody is beautiful (i have to admit, to me it was new, i never saw/heard the musical wicked...:blush-anim-cl:), the rhythm is really groovy (somehow i automatically start moving when i hear this song :teehee:), and the lyrics are funny and witty. in the first verse there's this "now you're in the movies selling popular corn" bit, that mika once tweeted about. he obviously loves this bit of lyrics, he recited it to us in milan, looking really proud. :wub2:

I've only seen Wicked once on Broadway, but love the soundtrack -- but

would you believe it didn't click when I heard this song? It's really only

a bit of the chorus that's borrowed from the show's version of Popular,

and I guess, since Mika was hanging with Stephen Schwartz a while back,

it's OK that he lifted a little something from one of the show's songs. :wink2:

this one and step with me were my faves of the new songs (i.e. of the ones we hadn't heard before) at the pre-listening, and since step with me got changed, popular song might well become my fave song of the album. though there's still love you when i'm drunk... and underwater... and tool... etc. :teehee:

Between hearing all the different snippets floating around now and the live

versions of some of the songs, I have to say I'm a totally happy fangurl. I would

rate most of the songs very, very highly except for Celebrate, but

since I have a really happy memory associated with that song now, I even

can tolerate it much better than I did originally. Thanks, Mika! :wub2:

tbh, i can't understand how anyone could *not* like this song :teehee: - besides maybe if they have a general problem with rap. when i first heard this at the album pre-listening in milan, in the beginning of the song i was like :shocked: mika RAPS?! :shocked: (the song starts with a rap :wink2:) but then he started singing and i fell in love with the song. :wub2: and now i also love the rap, yes it's unusual for mika, but it sounds cool. and i love his voice. :teehee:

I so agree with you!

It is rather unusual - Mika rapping - but it is another facet of his music world. It sounds so fresh and unusual for him. Something we haven't expected, but it makes it even more exciting! New Mika means new Mika. I can't wait to hear the whole song!

At first I was disappointed to get to know, that it is not his very own piece of art, but after watching on YT the original song, I understood that they are different anyway.

Is it Priscilla Renea singing with him?

Oh I absolutely love this song, it's so catchy and funny :teehee: I never even hear of the musical before, so I had no clue some of this was borrowed... but they :aah:

I don't mind the rapping at all, which sort of proves that I don't have a problem with Mika doing things differently, as long as he does it differently in a way I like :lmfao:

Between hearing all the different snippets floating around now and the live

versions of some of the songs, I have to say I'm a totally happy fangurl. I would

I guess he just saved the best for last :naughty: I don't like Celebrate and MYH at all and I even don't like Underwater much so I was really discouraged until I heard the longer snippets and the acoustic bits... now I'm a pretty happy fangurl again :wub2:

My happy memory is the moment when I saw the vid for Celebrate :wub2:

Mika looked so stunning that I automatically started to tolerate the song itself :naughty:

I really liked this from the listening session. Mika and wicked= AMAZEBALLS IMO. My inner gay boy loves this, I love a bit of camp and I think it's brilliant. I can't wait for the album now.

HELL YEAH, this is one that just got me going when I heard it.

Can't wait to hear it live! :excite:

HELL YEAH, this is one that just got me going when I heard it.

Can't wait to hear it live! :excite:

i've been wondering whether he does it live at all... :dunno: i really hope so, but i somehow can't imagine joy singing priscilla's part... :rolls_eyes:

i've been wondering whether he does it live at all... :dunno: i really hope so, but i somehow can't imagine joy singing priscilla's part... :rolls_eyes:

He could probably sing it all himself -- there's no real reason it would have to be a duet, as long as someone was harmonizing it could work, I think.

Does anyone else think Mika sounds a bit like Beck when he raps? :teehee: Think of Loser, for example.

I wonder if that's the idea, him being a fan etc., or if it's just that Beck's not the greatest rapper either :mf_rosetinted:.

Yeah a bit actually :aah: I love both attempts :mf_rosetinted:

Does anyone else think Mika sounds a bit like Beck when he raps? :teehee: Think of Loser, for example.

I wonder if that's the idea, him being a fan etc., or if it's just that Beck's not the greatest rapper either :mf_rosetinted:.

Not even in his best dreams, sorry :aah:

I got my first Beck album like 2 thousands years ago, and no. As much as I love Mika, (and trust me, I love him A LOT) he can´t be compared to Beck. Am not saying Beck is better, they just do different things, and... no :aah:

The first time I saw Mika, I started following him thinking he looked like Beck, physically. But no. Beck´s background is even more interesting than Mika´s. I bought his biography when Mika was like 9 and.. wow...

I hate when Mika is compared to Freddie, but I find more similitudes with Freddie than with Beck.

Oh yes I think you're right :lmfao:

Mika just has exactly the wrong voice to rap and could only do it properly if he was totally mimicking a real rapper. But that would likely be an even more bizarre outcome. :naughty:

Priscilla is really Salt N Pepa fabulous in this song. I wasn't especially impressed with what I'd heard of her so far but this is awesome. She totally outshines Mika in the rapping but then her support vocals make him sound really cool in the rest, especially the chorus.

Oh yes I think you're right :lmfao:

Mika just has exactly the wrong voice to rap and could only do it properly if he was totally mimicking a real rapper. But that would likely be an even more bizarre outcome. :naughty:

Priscilla is really Salt N Pepa fabulous in this song. I wasn't especially impressed with what I'd heard of her so far but this is awesome. She totally outshines Mika in the rapping but then her support vocals make him sound really cool in the rest, especially the chorus.

I agree Priscilla sounds great. Exactly the right kind of voice for this song.

As for Mika's drawl-rap, the rubbishness is balanced by the fact that he's singing about not being cool at school, and we know that the ability to rap/MC well is seen as ultra cool among kids these days (all the popular boys at my kids' school are good at it:wink2:). So it makes perfect sense that Mika can't rap :naughty: