Comme un Soleil Mal Luné Lyrics/Discussion

dcdeb

Yes it is but I looked at the lyrics and couldn't find much, maybe because I listen to a lot of french songs...

One example: je plombe l'ambiance... We will rather say something like : je casse le party

I guess this is a question for Macboll but is this a real difference between French and Quebec French? Because Mika's English expressions are often totally bizarre. At times they are so unlike anything anyone has ever said we can discuss it for pages trying to figure out what he even means.

Just one of many many examples: "you are the port of my call". That is not an expression in any English dialect I assure you! It's pure Mikaese. :naughty:

Yes it is but I looked at the lyrics and couldn't find much, maybe because I listen to a lot of french songs...

One example: je plombe l'ambiance... We will rather say something like : je casse le party

Me, neither (excepted cathouzouf's exemple). It's simply french poetry, with metaphors and "figures de style". In Mika style! :thumb_yello:

I guess this is a question for Macboll but is this a real difference between French and Quebec French? Because Mika's English expressions are often totally bizarre. At times they are so unlike anything anyone has ever said we can discuss it for pages trying to figure out what he even means.

Just one of many many examples: "you are the port of my call". That is not an expression in any English dialect I assure you! It's pure Mikaese. :naughty:

I don't see any Mikaspression in this song:wink2: Just nice french poetry:thumb_yello:

I didn't say that he doesn't use the same metaphors. It's just that there is a lot of.. mental images ? I figured it like a big painting. In each sentence, you have a part of the painting. And at the end of the song, you can see the whole painting. If their is some little thing that you are not sure to understand, then you miss a part of it. And sometime, because of how he talks, I missed some parts. An exemple: I was hearing "sans ta petite queue, si seul" instead of "sans ta petite gueule, si seul". gueule = "face" and queue = "tail". I found those lyrics very strange. :aah: And there's a lot of other things that I misunderstood. :teehee:

And the expression "un soleil mal luné", I never heard it before. :wink2:

To answer Christine's question, I would say that all the metaphors of the song are typically French and understandable by all French people living in France. We all say or have heard people saying "mal luné" (moody), "décrocher la lune", "plomber l'ambiance", "demander la lune", "con comme la lune". Only one metaphor is a pure invention (Doriand's or Mika's?): "un soleil sans chapeau". It's maybe translated from the English nursery rhyme "the sun has got its hat on"??

To alie: "un soleil mal luné" is a combination of "sun" and "moon", a poetic association. And Mika compares himself to the Sun in this song, a moody Sun.

Edited by macboll

To answer Christine's question, I would say that all the metaphors of the song are typically French and understandable by all French people living in France. We all say or have heard people saying "mal luné" (moody), "décrocher la lune", "plomber l'ambiance", "demander la lune", "con comme la lune". Only one metaphor is a pure invention (Doriand's or Mika's?): "un soleil sans chapeau". It's maybe translated from the English nursery rhyme "the sun has got its hat on"??

To alie: "un soleil mal luné" is a combination of "sun" and "moon", a poetic association. And Mika compares himself to the Sun in this song, a moody Sun.

Yes I got it by deduction. :wink2: But "mal luné" is really not a common expression here. The other ones, I knew them.

"you are the port of my call" isn't an expression, but i worked for an international steamship company, we used "port of call" on our bill of ladings & other documents...

maybe it's a play on that expression? :dunno:

"you are the port of my call" isn't an expression, but i worked for an international steamship company, we used "port of call" on our bill of ladings & other documents...

Yes, I thought it was pretty clear from the first time I heard it, actually. I'm sure I even said something like that back when we were first trying to decipher the lyrics after he first sang it. When a ship stops somewhere, we say it calls at a port. In fact, such a spot is called a "port-of-call" -- like Nassau in the Bahamas. So "you are the port of my call" makes perfect sense to me: You are the place where I stop, you are the port I call at. I may not use the phrase in everyday conversation, but it makes sense to me. :dunno:

Anyway, about this song -- I am having such a hard time singing along with it. I only know a very little French, and my tongue just doesn't want to wrap around these words! At least, not the way Mika sings them. I guess it's better after all -- I should leave the singing to him! :naughty:

Yes, I thought it was pretty clear from the first time I heard it, actually. I'm sure I even said something like that back when we were first trying to decipher the lyrics after he first sang it. When a ship stops somewhere, we say it calls at a port. In fact, such a spot is called a "port-of-call" -- like Nassau in the Bahamas. So "you are the port of my call" makes perfect sense to me:

Yes of course we all know what port-of-call means and that he was playing on these words but "call" in this context means a short visit. So he's saying you're the place where I stop to visit before moving on somewhere else? :blink:

Even if it makes perfect sense no one would ever use this expression in conversation. It's Mika's invention, not a case of one English dialect versus another. The only instance of that I can think of is "since I was in my braces". I didn't even think about that until I went to a gig and saw him tugging on his suspenders. :naughty:

Anyway, about this song -- I am having such a hard time singing along with it. I only know a very little French, and my tongue just doesn't want to wrap around these words!

Oh gosh stay away from Elle Me Dit then. It's a much bigger tongue twister than this song. :aah:

Oh gosh stay away from Elle Me Dit then. It's a much bigger tongue twister than this song. :aah:

Oh, trust me -- I can just about manage "porquoi tu gaches ta vie" and "danse danse danse". I can't even pretend to sing anything else! :naughty:

Oh, trust me -- I can just about manage "porquoi tu gaches ta vie" and "danse danse danse". I can't even pretend to sing anything else! :naughty:

Now you understand how much we have to work hard to sing along with Mika in all his english songs. :naughty:

I played this song three times in a row in my car, when I came back from dance school, about half an hour ago. I think I like this song a lot :teehee: Although I don't understand all of the lyrics.

And at this moment, I can sing along with some parts, but I still struggle with most of the song. :naughty: I find it easier to sing along with Elle Me Dit, but maybe that's because I know the song longer then this one.

Oh Deb, I would love to hear that... ! :mf_rosetinted:

I know I am a little bit late to express myself about the songs, but, well, it's better late than ever !! :naughty:

Anyway, I never was a huge fan of Elle me dit, so I was worried about Mika singing in French, but Karen and especially this one are just :wub2:

When he strated his show in Nantes and Paris with that song, I was :shocked: I think the lyrics are really great and deep and the piano/voice is outstanding :wub2:

Thank you Mika and Doriand for this gift :wub2:

Oh Deb, I would love to hear that... ! :mf_rosetinted:

I know I am a little bit late to express myself about the songs, but, well, it's better late than ever !! :naughty:

Anyway, I never was a huge fan of Elle me dit, so I was worried about Mika singing in French, but Karen and especially this one are just :wub2:

When he strated his show in Nantes and Paris with that song, I was :shocked: I think the lyrics are really great and deep and the piano/voice is outstanding :wub2:

Thank you Mika and Doriand for this gift :wub2:

I really liked it from the first time I had listened to it after buying the album... but when he sang it live, I totally felt in love with it.

It's a very simple, heartfelt song and that is what makes it a beauty:wub2:

• 7 months later...

DoRéMi / Natalya asked me to give her the explanation that I use when I "study" the song Un Soleil mal Luné with my students (I'm a teacher of French as a foreign language). I thought it could maybe be useful to other people too, so here you go (sorry, it's very long and it's in French :aah:):

Explication générale de la chanson*:

Le narrateur de la chanson (celui qui dit «*je*») est très proche de Mika*: c'est une célébrité, presque aussi puissante que le «*roi-soleil*» (Louis XIV), qui fait des concerts «*au Zénith*» (célèbre salle de Paris), qui voyage beaucoup car il parle de décalage horaire («*j'avance d'une heure et je recule*»)

On peut donc supposer que Mika parle ici de lui-même, il n'invente pas un personnage fictif.

Dans la chanson, il parle à la personne qu'il aime, à qui il dit «*tu*» («*ta petite gueule*», «*tu préfères te protéger*»).

Mika se compare au soleil (symbole de puissance, de gaîté... celui qui illumine la vie des gens autour de lui, qui les rend heureux, mais aussi celui qui est indispensable à la vie). On va donc retrouver beaucoup de mots ou d'expressions en relation avec le soleil ou avec la lune (c'est le champ lexical).

A noter que le dieu du soleil dans l'Antiquité grecque et romaine était Apollon, souvent représenté en buste coiffé d'une couronne de lauriers (comme les athlètes olympiques). C'est une image très proche de celle de la couverture de l'album «*The origin of love*», sur lequel se trouve la chanson.

On pourrait croire que Mika est mégalomaniaque de se comparer lui-même au soleil (et à sa puissance*!), mais je pense que la chanson est surtout une réflexion lucide sur la situation d'un artiste comme Mika qui a sorti son troisième album et est devenu une personnalité très sollicitée*: à la fois par les nombreux fans, mais aussi par les médias, ou par son entourage, qui doit d'une manière ou d'une autre être dépendant comme on pourrait l'être du soleil (je pense à sa famille qui travaille avec/pour lui). J'y vois la difficulté d'une personne sur qui tout le monde compte, mais qui n'a pas la force de faire de bon cœur ce qu'on attend de lui, dès lors que la personne qu'il aime n'est pas là (absence physique ou séparation).

Explication ligne à ligne*:

Je suis comme un soleil mal luné*

(champ lexical*: soleil, lune*; «*être mal luné*» veut dire «*être de mauvaise humeur*»)

Qui n'a pas envie de briller*

(champ lexical*: briller (le soleil brille)*; ici, cela signifie être agréable avec les autres, ou faire ce qu'on attend de lui)

Qui ne décroche pas un sourire*

(«*décrocher un sourire*» = sourire aux autres*: ici, il (= Mika) ne veut pas sourire (ou ne peut pas))

Ni la lune ça va sans dire

(champ lexical*: lune*; «*décrocher la lune*» veut dire «*réaliser quelque chose de très difficile, quelque chose d'impossible)

Je suis comme un soleil mal luné*

Qui veut seulement rester couché*

(champ lexical*: couché («*un coucher de soleil*»)*; ici, il veut rester au lit toute la journée, il est déprimé)

Qui jette un froid en s'éclipsant

(champ lexical*: froid (contraire de la chaleur du soleil), éclipse (de soleil ou de lune)*; s'éclipser veut dire partir secrètement, ici il part (d'une soirée par exemple), mais son absence jette un froid, cela veut dire que l'ambiance devient mauvaise et que les gens sont en colère qu'il soit parti)

C'est vrai je plombe l'ambiance gaiement

(champ lexical*: plomb (on dit «*un soleil de plomb*», un soleil qui est très chaud)*; «*plomber l'ambiance*» veut dire rendre l'ambiance mauvaise. On rejoint l'idée de jeter un froid. Mais lui plombe l'ambiance «*gaiement*», on peut penser qu'il s'en fiche que son absence soit un problème)

Je suis seul tout seul

Sans ta petite gueule si seul

(«*petite gueule*» est affectueux ici, cela veut dire «*ton visage*»*; la personne qu'il aime lui manque)

Comme le soleil

(le soleil est seul dans le ciel, pas de lune ou d'étoiles pour lui tenir compagnie)

On me coupe la lumière quoi que je paie

(champ lexical*: lumière*; ici, cela signifie que même si il paie ses factures, on lui coupe l'électricité. Bien sûr, cela a un deuxième sens, peut-être celui que, même si il travaille beaucoup, qu'il fait beaucoup d'efforts, on lui enlève son bonheur et sa joie de vivre car la personne qu'il aime n'est pas avec lui)

Et comme un soleil mal luné*

Dont tu préfères te protéger

(champ lexical*: protéger (on se protège de la chaleur du soleil et des coups de soleil*; ici, la personne qu'il aime est peut-être partie pour se protéger du caractère ou de l'attitude de Mika (ou des problèmes liés à sa célébrité?))

À chaudes larmes j'ai beau pleurer

(champ lexical*: chaud*; «*pleurer à chaudes larmes*» veut dire pleurer beaucoup)

Mais sur moi elles sèchent vite fait

(champ lexical*: sécher*; les larmes sèchent vite sur lui (car il est un soleil!), il ne peut pas pleurer longtemps même si il est malheureux de l'absence de la personne qu'il aime)

Je ne demande pas la lune

(champ lexical*: lune*; «*demander la lune*» signifie demander quelque chose d'impossible)

Ni la gloire ni la fortune

(il ne veut pas être célèbre, il ne veut pas être riche)

Juste du soleil dans ma vie

(il veut seulement avoir du soleil, c'est à dire du bonheur, dans sa vie*: quelqu'un qui le rende heureux)

Sauf que le soleil «*it is me*»

(mais le problème est que c'est lui même le soleil, c'est lui qui donne du bonheur aux autres. Qui lui donne du bonheur à lui? On peut remarquer que la formule «*it is me*» se traduit par «*c'est moi*», cela fait penser à la formule du roi Louis XIV (voir plus loin dans le texte) qui disait «*l'Etat c'est moi*» pour parler de sa puissance [merci à Robertina])

Je suis seul tout seul

Comme le soleil

Je suis comme un soleil sans chapeau

(un chapeau pour se protéger du soleil, donc pour se protéger de lui même? Il est sans protection face à lui même et face au monde)

Un roi soleil sans son château

(le «*Roi-Soleil*» était le surnom du roi Louis XIV, celui qui a fait construire le célèbre château de Versailles. Ici, Mika a la même puissance que le roi Louis XIV, Mais il n'a pas son «*château*», il n'a pas de foyer, pas d'amour qui le protège et qui le fasse se sentir en sécurité)

Dis moi pourquoi toi tu m'évites

(éviter quelqu'un signifie ne pas vouloir rencontrer quelqu'un. La personne qu'il aime ne veut pas le voir)

Même quand je me pointe au zénith

(champ lexical*: le zénith (tout en haut du ciel)*; c'est aussi le nom d'une salle de concerts à Paris, cela signifie «*pourquoi tu ne veux pas me voir, même quand je fais un grand concert?*»)

L'amour c'est con comme la lune

(champ lexical*: lune*; «*con comme la lune*» veut dire «*très bête*»*; l'amour c'est idiot)

Qu'est-ce qu'on ferait pas pour des prunes

(«*faire quelque chose pour des prunes*» veut dire*: faire quelque chose pour rien, sans résultat. Il fait tous ces efforts pour la personne qu'il aime, mais sans retour)

Je ne dors plus sans pilule

(pilule ici veut dire un médicament pour dormir, un somnifère. Il a besoin de somnifères pour dormir)

J'avance d'une heure et je recule

(allusion au décalage horaire et à ses voyages pour ses concerts. Cela montre aussi qu'il se sent perdu)

Je suis seul tout seul

Comme le soleil

Quoi que je paie

If you don't agree with my interpretation of the song, please, tell me! :blush-anim-cl:

Edit: i don't know why there are all these little stars everywhere??!

Edited by Alireine

DoRéMi / Natalya asked me to give her the explanation that I use when I "study" the song Un Soleil mal Luné with my students (I'm a teacher of French as a foreign language)

Merci - merci - merci!!! :huglove: :huglove: :huglove:

Tu m'as comblée. Il y a plein de petits bijoux linguistiques, tout un trésor! :thumb_yello:

Merci! J'ai déjà dit ça? :teehee:

:flowers2: :flowers2: :flowers2:

Thank you, I'm happy if it's'useful!

Now I wish I could ask Mika (or Doriand) if I'm right about the interpretation :aah:

You can try to ask Mika during the next m&g :wink2:

Or ask Doriand on Twitter! :fisch:

I'm going to Ronquières gig in a few days :fisch:

but I think there is nobody I know from MFC who go there (except Lily), and I would need some "cheer up" (encouragements) to do such a strange thing :blush-anim-cl:

I think Mika would tell me "no time to check it" anyway, what would be understandable :mf_rosetinted:

Maybe I could ask Doriand, but the poor guy must be fed up that we only show interest to him about Mika :teehee:

I'm going to Ronquières gig in a few days :fisch:

but I think there is nobody I know from MFC who go there (except Lily), and I would need some "cheer up" (encouragements) to do such a strange thing :blush-anim-cl:

I think Mika would tell me "no time to check it" anyway, what would be understandable :mf_rosetinted:

Maybe I could ask Doriand, but the poor guy must be fed up that we only show interest to him about Mika :teehee:

I'm not sure about Mika's reaction... But for Doriand it's your interest to the text which he wrote. As the author he must be pleased.

I'm not sure about Mika's reaction... But for Doriand it's your interest to the text which he wrote. As the author he must be pleased.

Indeed. I wouldn't try asking Mika after a gig. It's too chaotic then. But Doriand might answer.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally asked Doriand to have a look on it through Twitter and a Google Doc, he just answered me :wub2: he congratulated me (?! i am the one who should congratulate him for this lovely song :aah:), so I guess it means he agrees with the global interpretation :wink2:

He is really a nice guy :wub2:

I also gave the printed version to Mika in Ronquieres, he looked quite interested :teehee:

I'm worried that his mum reads it: the part where it says that he feels maybe a bit overwhelmed because of everybody's expectations (also his family's) is maybe a bit "too much", she would be upset :aah:

Anyway, my students now love this song and discovered a new "face" (?) of Mika, that's the most important :wub2:

So, I finally asked Doriand to have a look on it through Twitter and a Google Doc, he just answered me :wub2: he congratulated me (?! i am the one who should congratulate him for this lovely song :aah:), so I guess it means he agrees with the global interpretation :wink2:

He is really a nice guy :wub2:

I also gave the printed version to Mika in Ronquieres, he looked quite interested :teehee:

I'm worried that his mum reads it: the part where it says that he feels maybe a bit overwhelmed because of everybody's expectations (also his family's) is maybe a bit "too much", she would be upset :aah:

Anyway, my students now love this song and discovered a new "face" (?) of Mika, that's the most important :wub2:

That's great! Congratulations! And so kind of Doriand to reply!

And I wouldn't worry about his mother. I don't think she feels sorry about pushing him to excel, especially since it worked :naughty:

Besides, someone who can handle her son singing songs like EMD and SITM surely wouldn't be upset by a tiny innocent remark like that :thumb_yello: