The Prosopagnosia (face recognition blindness) thread

Hello everyone!

A few weeks ago I was contacted by pm, by Franlovesmika, because she had read in my posts, that I suffer from Prosopagnosia. She is going to write a thesis on the condition, and in the end, we decided to open a thread.

Prosopagnosia is rare, it's not very well understood, so we thought this thread might help people to understand the condition, as well as being a place where information and help sites could be posted.

This is the Wikipedia information site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia#Types

Another information site

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/prosopagnosia/Prosopagnosia.htm

Some research on the condition

http://www.prosopagnosiaresearch.org/index/information

So what is it? How does it affect the sufferer?

It is the inability to recognize faces. Not only stranger's faces, but people we see everyday, like neighbours. When I see my neighbours in their gardens, I know who they are, but if I see them in Sale Town Centre, or in the street, I don't know them. My husband Alan always tells me they are coming towards me, so I don't ignore them, like they are strangers.

The condition is nothing to do with eyesight. My eyes work fine, but something is wrong with the filing system in my brain.

When we meet someone, our brains store information about them, and that includes making a map of the person's face, for future recognition. It's filed away, along with the person's name, and other facts.

My brain is unable to do this. Facial memory doesn't make it to my long term memory, so if a person walks away for a few minutes, I've lost the memory.

People with the condition learn other ways to recognize people, but it's not easy. You can bet anything that I don't recognize Mika if he's covered his hair, or I don't hear him speak or sing.

At a party or other social networking event, I've learned to remember what each person is wearing, or their hairstyles, or jewellery. That way, if they walk away for a while, I know who they are when I see them again, after a few minutes.

Another problem for the sufferer, is being unable to tell certain people apart. If there are two women (for example) with long blonde hair and blue eyes, I might be able to tell them apart if they are standing together. One may be taller, thinner, have slightly longer hair and if I see them together, I can see the differences, but when they are separate, I can't tell who is who.

When my son started at nursery school, my biggest fear was not, how he would fare there, but would I recognise him when I went to pick him up?

This may sound ridiculous, but it was a huge fear. The condition affects your recognition of your own family members, once they go out of your sight. Steve would be among other children, with brown hair and brown eyes. How would I know him?

My mum told me to remember what clothes he was wearing when I took him to the nursery, and reminded me that Steve would recognize me, and would come to me himself.

That is basically, what happened, so it wasn't a disaster.

This is the first post here. There are many things I can add to what I've said. Other information we can add, about the research, and the test for it, which is here

http://www.faceblind.org/facetests/index.php

Prosopagnosia is found on the Autism spectrum, but, as with myself, it can just happen, and no one knows why.

I hope this thread will give people on here an insight into the condition, and provide anyone who has the condition, or has someone close who suffers from it, somewhere to come and talk about it.

I also wish Fran every success with her thesis. Hopefully the thread will be a great help.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish you luck with this thread. I had never heard of it before, and can't imagine what it would be like. Also, the best to Fran for her thesis!

I wish you luck with this thread. I had never heard of it before, and can't imagine what it would be like. Also, the best to Fran for her thesis!

I hope people will be interested in looking on here.

The condition affects 2% of the population, but for those who have it, it can be a total nightmare.

I thought it was just me, who watched programs on TV and kept having to ask my family,

"Who's that guy, is it the good guy or the bad guy?"

"We've told you before, that's the bad guy!"

Mind you, my problems with the faces on TV, were what alerted my mum to the fact that something was wrong. People used to stop her in the street and tell her that I was struck-up, because I'd walked right past them without speaking. It wasn't until we got a TV, and I could not recognize the actors, even if I saw them many times, that she understand why I couldn't recognize people in the street.

But I was in my fifties before I heard of Prosopagnosia. Then, what a relief. I took the test, mentioned in the first post and presented the results to my doctor. Now that I can put a name to my condition, it's much easier to bear.

So it's good to get the word out, and let people who have this problem know they are not alone.

Being able to identify something, when you have sensed something is not quite right, is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I received several diagnoses about seven years ago, and while I don't totally agree with the severity of the conditions as described, being able to know what I was dealing with was most definitely a factor in being able to function!

Hello everyone!

A few weeks ago I was contacted by pm, by Franlovesmika, because she had read in my posts, that I suffer from Prosopagnosia. She is going to write a thesis on the condition, and in the end, we decided to open a thread.

Prosopagnosia is rare, it's not very well understood, so we thought this thread might help people to understand the condition, as well as being a place where information and help sites could be posted.

Another information site

It is the inability to recognize faces. Not only stranger's faces, but people we see everyday, like neighbours. When I see my neighbours in their gardens, I know who they are, but if I see them in Sale Town Centre, or in the street, I don't know them. My husband Alan always tells me they are coming towards me, so I don't ignore them, like they are strangers.

The condition is nothing to do with eyesight. My eyes work fine, but something is wrong with the filing system in my brain.

When we meet someone, our brains store information about them, and that includes making a map of the person's face, for future recognition. It's filed away, along with the person's name, and other facts.

My brain is unable to do this. Facial memory doesn't make it to my long term memory, so if a person walks away for a few minutes, I've lost the memory.

People with the condition learn other ways to recognize people, but it's not easy. You can bet anything that I don't recognize Mika if he's covered his hair, or I don't hear him speak or sing.

At a party or other social networking event, I've learned to remember what each person is wearing, or their hairstyles, or jewellery. That way, if they walk away for a while, I know who they are when I see them again, after a few minutes.

Another problem for the sufferer, is being unable to tell certain people apart. If there are two women (for example) with long blonde hair and blue eyes, I might be able to tell them apart if they are standing together. One may be taller, thinner, have slightly longer hair and if I see them together, I can see the differences, but when they are separate, I can't tell who is who.

When my son started at nursery school, my biggest fear was not, how he would fare there, but would I recognise him when I went to pick him up?

This may sound ridiculous, but it was a huge fear. The condition affects your recognition of your own family members, once they go out of your sight. Steve would be among other children, with brown hair and brown eyes. How would I know him?

My mum told me to remember what clothes he was wearing when I took him to the nursery, and reminded me that Steve would recognize me, and would come to me himself.

This is the first post here. There are many things I can add to what I've said. Other information we can add, about the research, and the test for it, which is here

Prosopagnosia is found on the Autism spectrum, but, as with myself, it can just happen, and no one knows why.

I hope this thread will give people on here an insight into the condition, and provide anyone who has the condition, or has someone close who suffers from it, somewhere to come and talk about it.

I also wish Fran every success with her thesis. Hopefully the thread will be a great help.

Thanks Kezza

& of course

Thanks Marilyn for open this thread!!

You've done wonderful with the first post :) I think you explained even better than what i could have done.

Hi everyone I'm Francesca, I'm going to get a college degree in psycology hopefully the next september, and I'm just starting to write this thesis on Prosopagnosia as my final essay :) i truly hope this topic may get many people interest. Here it is a sample of the points about how I thought I'd set this essay:

-Alessia,prosopagnosia, Agnosia: differences

-Prosopagnosia appercettiva, associative Prosopagnosia, developmental Prosopagnosia

-Face blindness disorder, the problem of recognizing faces

-clinical cases

-how to live everyday life who suffer from prosopagnosia

-conclusions

-bibliography

I will include the face blindess disorder test too and I have some material in englisg to post if it's interesting for anyone.

In the last point s I'm going to resume the experience of everyday people with this kind of disorder, something that goes beyond the standard clinical cases, also because the research material involves most people with brain damages or other disorders that lead to Prosopagnosia, that's also why the study about it are so recent.

Anyway i truly hope this project will took off!

I'm also going to spread the words among my fb Mfc friends and on the italian thread ;)

I hope people will be interested in looking on here.

The condition affects 2% of the population, but for those who have it, it can be a total nightmare.

I thought it was just me, who watched programs on TV and kept having to ask my family,

"Who's that guy, is it the good guy or the bad guy?"

"We've told you before, that's the bad guy!"

Mind you, my problems with the faces on TV, were what alerted my mum to the fact that something was wrong. People used to stop her in the street and tell her that I was struck-up, because I'd walked right past them without speaking. It wasn't until we got a TV, and I could not recognize the actors, even if I saw them many times, that she understand why I couldn't recognize people in the street.

But I was in my fifties before I heard of Prosopagnosia. Then, what a relief. I took the test, mentioned in the first post and presented the results to my doctor. Now that I can put a name to my condition, it's much easier to bear.

So it's good to get the word out, and let people who have this problem know they are not alone.

I cannot even understand how is to deal with it normally, cannot imagine how it was with having a diagnosis, but i can understand Why is better with knowing the condition of it :)

P.s. I even know now that Brad Pitt suffers from it, so you're in good company :P

Being able to identify something, when you have sensed something is not quite right, is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I received several diagnoses about seven years ago, and while I don't totally agree with the severity of the conditions as described, being able to know what I was dealing with was most definitely a factor in being able to function!

Sorry for asking Kezza are you suffering for this condition too, or know someone Who suffers from it?

good luck to everyone involved, it sounds like a horrible thing to deal with and i wish you the best.

Thank you!

Edited by FralovesMika

Many thanks for the posts so far.

Prosopagnosia varies in severity, from person to person. I'm in the upper middle of the faceblind scale. Some people are so bad, they walk past a mirror and think they are looking at someone else! Thank God I'm not that bad.

But it has been a problem all my life, and it's one of those invisible conditions that people can't see you have. Before diagnosis, I used to say that I didn't recognize faces very well. Then someone would talk about being stopped in the street by someone from their past, and they didn't know who they were. Or walking up to someone (who usually had their back to them) and saying, "hi Jane," only to realize it's not Jane when the person turns round and faces them.

These are common things to happen. But Prosopagnosia sufferers won't realise it isn't Jane, even when she turns around, and if someone comes up to us in the street, they could be someone we only saw that morning and we wouldn't know them by their faces.

However, we can hide the condition. Many people would never know we have it, because we use other ways to identify people. Over the years we get to be experts at voices, at checking clothes, hairstyles, glasses, etc, but it's not foolproof. My pastor's wife came to church with a new hairstyle, and I was just going to welcome her as a visitor to the church, when Alan grabbed my arm and said, "that's Helyn!" I hadn't known her because she'd changed her hair.

Once there were two men of similar colouring. I knew them both well. One of them had just become a father. I went to the other one and congratulated him. I felt like such a fool!

Meeting someone in the street who obviously knows me, I've learned to keep the conversation neutral. "Hi there! How are you? Are you doing okay?" While all the time listening to what they're saying, to get a clue who they are.

But since I have been diagnosed, I'm much less secretive. I will tell people I have face blindness, that way, they are prepared when they see me.

I do the same on here. Because I won't recognize people at the gigs.

Once, on a cold winters night, I was standing outside the theatre. I saw a guy in a hoodie. He also wore a woolly hat that covered his hair and came down to his eyes. I thought, at least that guy is warm.

He came closer and I heard him speak.

Yes, you've guessed, it was Mika.

I didn't know about Brad Pitt! That's something we have learned in this thread.

Wow, very interesting (but sucks for you Marilyn!).

And good luck with the thesis Fran! :thumb_yello:

Thank you!

Many thanks for the posts so far.

Prosopagnosia varies in severity, from person to person. I'm in the upper middle of the faceblind scale. Some people are so bad, they walk past a mirror and think they are looking at someone else! Thank God I'm not that bad.

But it has been a problem all my life, and it's one of those invisible conditions that people can't see you have. Before diagnosis, I used to say that I didn't recognize faces very well. Then someone would talk about being stopped in the street by someone from their past, and they didn't know who they were. Or walking up to someone (who usually had their back to them) and saying, "hi Jane," only to realize it's not Jane when the person turns round and faces them.

These are common things to happen. But Prosopagnosia sufferers won't realise it isn't Jane, even when she turns around, and if someone comes up to us in the street, they could be someone we only saw that morning and we wouldn't know them by their faces.

However, we can hide the condition. Many people would never know we have it, because we use other ways to identify people. Over the years we get to be experts at voices, at checking clothes, hairstyles, glasses, etc, but it's not foolproof. My pastor's wife came to church with a new hairstyle, and I was just going to welcome her as a visitor to the church, when Alan grabbed my arm and said, "that's Helyn!" I hadn't known her because she'd changed her hair.

Once there were two men of similar colouring. I knew them both well. One of them had just become a father. I went to the other one and congratulated him. I felt like such a fool!

Meeting someone in the street who obviously knows me, I've learned to keep the conversation neutral. "Hi there! How are you? Are you doing okay?" While all the time listening to what they're saying, to get a clue who they are.

But since I have been diagnosed, I'm much less secretive. I will tell people I have face blindness, that way, they are prepared when they see me.

I do the same on here. Because I won't recognize people at the gigs.

Once, on a cold winters night, I was standing outside the theatre. I saw a guy in a hoodie. He also wore a woolly hat that covered his hair and came down to his eyes. I thought, at least that guy is warm.

He came closer and I heard him speak.

Yes, you've guessed, it was Mika.

I didn't know about Brad Pitt! That's something we have learned in this thread.

It's always interesting to read what you have to say Marylin e speciale for me cause I can recall what I've studied through these years at college, and also great material i can include in my thesis is so different to interact with someone Who truly lives it instead of study always the same clinical cases, some are pretty boring too :teehee: , lately I'll upload the interview to Brad Pitt and other stuff I found trying to keep it on a General ground and not to go too specific in the neuroscience field, but guess how is hard for Brad with all those kids and all the different people he has to meet and work with every day!!

About your meeting with Mika and not recognising him I remembered also the first time we spose about it in the XL La Repubblica thread and he had just cut his hair short, and of course it was a problem for you in the beginning, imagine you walking around for London maybe in Hyde Park and meet him with Mel walking if he doesn't speak you will just keep going your way would be such a pity!

One last thing I did some study at a neuroscience lab in my college on TMS, the brain trans magnetic stimulation, have you ever partecipated in this kind of studies? It's normally a procedure used to map the brain, i even tried it once too, was pretty fun to see a map of my brain in some normal accomplishing different operations :naughty: it just gives a lil itchy nose LOL but it was fun!

P.s. If I'm doing any kind of mistakes in express my self in english feel free to say it anyone I always try to keep doing better but I'm a lil down with training :)

Sorry for asking Kezza are you suffering for this condition too, or know someone Who suffers from it?

Fra, no I don't have it. I have other conditions, though, that I have lived with since childhood, which went undiagnosed for many years. I always knew something was "off" but it took until 2006 to be formally diagnosed with them.

As I said, it's been so helpful to finally know what was going on all that time - I just wish I'd known sooner. I am sure that Marilyn's quality of life is vastly improved with proper identification of the problem!

Thank you!

It's always interesting to read what you have to say Marylin e speciale for me cause I can recall what I've studied through these years at college, and also great material i can include in my thesis is so different to interact with someone Who truly lives it instead of study always the same clinical cases, some are pretty boring too :teehee: , lately I'll upload the interview to Brad Pitt and other stuff I found trying to keep it on a General ground and not to go too specific in the neuroscience field, but guess how is hard for Brad with all those kids and all the different people he has to meet and work with every day!!

About your meeting with Mika and not recognising him I remembered also the first time we spose about it in the XL La Repubblica thread and he had just cut his hair short, and of course it was a problem for you in the beginning, imagine you walking around for London maybe in Hyde Park and meet him with Mel walking if he doesn't speak you will just keep going your way would be such a pity!

One last thing I did some study at a neuroscience lab in my college on TMS, the brain trans magnetic stimulation, have you ever partecipated in this kind of studies? It's normally a procedure used to map the brain, i even tried it once too, was pretty fun to see a map of my brain in some normal accomplishing different operations :naughty: it just gives a lil itchy nose LOL but it was fun!

There are faceblind studies, but they are in London. I live in the North West of the UK, and can't drive, so I can't get there.

You've mentioned about the brain conditions that might cause Prosopagnosia. Certainly anyone on the Autism spectrum of disorders might have it. In my case, I suspect (though it's just my theory) that I have it as a result of my Tuberous Sclerosis, which is also known as Epiloia, and is a rare genetic condition. It causes calcification to form in any part of the body. I have calcium deposits in my brain. Among the other problems it causes, I think it might have affected the part of my brain that recognizes faces. But like I have said, it's just a theory.

I used to see a neurologist, and told him about my recognition problems. I told him that I could only recognize him by the tie he always wore. He just didn't take me seriously. He acted like I was making it up! Needles to say, I stopped seeing him. I only wish I had had my diagnosis when I saw him.

This is the problem. A lot of doctors don't know about it, so they are not much help. There has been stuff about it on TV in recent years. So people are gradually learning about it.

I'm interested to see the Brad Pitt interview.

Once again, I'm thrilled at how the thread is going. My tablet doesn't let me mq, but any illness that isn't diagnosed, is much better to cope with, once it is. So good luck Kezza.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Hello everyone!

Another information site

Marilyn, thanks for sharing your experience. I guess yours is a difficult disease to handle, because it has a strong impact on your social life.

Nowadays it's easier to have a diagnosis and to get in touch with other people suffering from the same desease, but I think it must have been scary for you going to school and not recognizing your own classmates nor teachers, not to speak about picking up your son when he was a toddler.

But it's a good thing that you are able to speak about your situation in such a calm way, you're really an amazing woman!

:huglove:

Thanks Kezza

& of course

Thanks Marilyn for open this thread!!

You've done wonderful with the first post :) I think you explained even better than what i could have done.

Hi everyone I'm Francesca, I'm going to get a college degree in psycology hopefully the next september, and I'm just starting to write this thesis on Prosopagnosia as my final essay :) i truly hope this topic may get many people interest. Here it is a sample of the points about how I thought I'd set this essay:

-Alessia,prosopagnosia, Agnosia: differences

-Prosopagnosia appercettiva, associative Prosopagnosia, developmental Prosopagnosia

-Face blindness disorder, the problem of recognizing faces

-clinical cases

-how to live everyday life who suffer from prosopagnosia

-conclusions

-bibliography

I will include the face blindess disorder test too and I have some material in englisg to post if it's interesting for anyone.

In the last point s I'm going to resume the experience of everyday people with this kind of disorder, something that goes beyond the standard clinical cases, also because the research material involves most people with brain damages or other disorders that lead to Prosopagnosia, that's also why the study about it are so recent.

Anyway i truly hope this project will took off!

I'm also going to spread the words among my fb Mfc friends and on the italian thread ;)

Francesca, what an original choice for your thesis! May I ask you if you have chosen this subject because of a personal interest or if your professor have given you a hint?

I'm not into medicine, but if you think I can help you someway... Don't know how, I don't even know if this going to be a clinical or a bibliographic study but you never know...

Anyway I get from your description you are completing your master degree, am I wrong?

Fra, no I don't have it. I have other conditions, though, that I have lived with since childhood, which went undiagnosed for many years. I always knew something was "off" but it took until 2006 to be formally diagnosed with them.

As I said, it's been so helpful to finally know what was going on all that time - I just wish I'd known sooner. I am sure that Marilyn's quality of life is vastly improved with proper identification of the problem!

Knowledge is the only way out, it's always sad thinking about how many people have been deeply damaged in the past because of a general, deep ignorance (along with insensitiveness, in most of the cases)

Marilyn, thanks for sharing your experience. I guess yours is a difficult disease to handle, because it has a strong impact on your social life.

Nowadays it's easier to have a diagnosis and to get in touch with other people suffering from the same desease, but I think it must have been scary for you going to school and not recognizing your own classmates nor teachers, not to speak about picking up your son when he was a toddler.

But it's a good thing that you are able to speak about your situation in such a calm way, you're really an amazing woman!

:huglove:

Francesca, what an original choice for your thesis! May I ask you if you have chosen this subject because of a personal interest or if your professor have given you a hint?

I'm not into medicine, but if you think I can help you someway... Don't know how, I don't even know if this going to be a clinical or a bibliographic study but you never know...

Anyway I get from your description you are completing your master degree, am I wrong?

Knowledge is the only way out, it's always sad thinking about how many people have been deeply damaged in the past because of a general, deep ignorance (along with insensitiveness, in most of the cases)

School was a nightmare. I didn't have many friends and, of course, was bullied for being different.

Yes, the Prosopagnosia has affected all aspect of my life, when I look back on it. I tried to be a Brownie Guider, but it didn't take long for the children to realize I never used their names. Of course, this was because one blonde girl in a ponytail looks just like every other blonde girl in a ponytail. I couldn't tell them apart. They would say, "you don't know us, do you Snowy?" (Brownie Guiders are named after different kinds of owls and are sort-of like teachers) and I had to come clean and admit that I didn't. I gave it up after that.

I do want to see that Brad Pitt interview, because I think it's great when celebrities share about things like this. I've always admired Mika for being open about his Dyslexia. It must have been so hard for Mika when he was a child. But look at what he has achieved. The beautiful articles he has written, and composing songs without knowing how the music is written, not to mention his phenomenal linguistic skills. This proves that, even with a learning problem, or other handicap, people are capable of great things. Maybe more so than if they never had a problem, because tough stuff builds character.

I've always liked Brad Pitt as an actor, especially in movies like Fight Club and Kalifornia. It will be interesting to see how he copes with his condition.

There are faceblind studies, but they are in London. I live in the North West of the UK, and can't drive, so I can't get there.

You've mentioned about the brain conditions that might cause Prosopagnosia. Certainly anyone on the Autism spectrum of disorders might have it. In my case, I suspect (though it's just my theory) that I have it as a result of my Tuberous Sclerosis, which is also known as Epiloia, and is a rare genetic condition. It causes calcification to form in any part of the body. I have calcium deposits in my brain. Among the other problems it causes, I think it might have affected the part of my brain that recognizes faces. But like I have said, it's just a theory.

I used to see a neurologist, and told him about my recognition problems. I told him that I could only recognize him by the tie he always wore. He just didn't take me seriously. He acted like I was making it up! Needles to say, I stopped seeing him. I only wish I had had my diagnosis when I saw him.

This is the problem. A lot of doctors don't know about it, so they are not much help. There has been stuff about it on TV in recent years. So people are gradually learning about it.

I'm interested to see the Brad Pitt interview.

Once again, I'm thrilled at how the thread is going. My tablet doesn't let me mq, but any illness that isn't diagnosed, is much better to cope with, once it is. So good luck Kezza.

I see, it's a pity because if you were nearer to London nowadays in specialized center there are group therapy for any kind of disorder and research and studies you can partecipate in, I'm also going to ask material with my professor reccomandation from the prosopagnosia reasearch centre website you gave me with the test you took, anyway anything involved in the neuroscience field is making big strides so any other day something new could be found, it's a pretty recent field of reasearch and whole section of disorders that have been discorvered that there is a lot to study for many many years ahed.

Of course doctors are not updated on this new kind of diseases, it's their own field and in general medicine the updating classes are made only when they are mandatory from hospitals or from international institutions, there's a difference they teach you when you get admitted in psychology, the difference between a doctor, a psychiatrist and a psychologist mainly in the attitude, the following method and in the updating of course :P

Dunno from many years ago was this episodo with that neurologist, but you should call him and tell him he is an idiot :teehee:

Thank you Giovi! My choice is for personal interest, this disorder was just mentioned in a book when I did my 1st exam in my 1st year at college, General psychology 1st, and I thought it was nice to deepen this topic, I'm not doing master degree but just 1st grade deegre in psychological sciences and techniques, this is a non sperimental thesis, so i think it's defined compilative or bibliographic, infact in the 1st degree you don't even still have the chance to discuss your thesis you just have to do it, agreeing with your relator and get your mark for your study (wich normally is always the higher so you have a higher deegre mark) so I thought following a sperimental one for this degree was just too much.

If you'd like to help I'm glad, for now I'm just trying to find some interesting stuff in italian because I've lots of stuff to translate from english, and it's not gonna be so easy :D so if you find something feel free to share it :)

I see, my bad and sorry for asking that way, but I can understand how is it to deal with not so easy to explain medical condition, although I'm pretty young I've lived it with other people in my family and I'm still living it too, it sucks but something will be found sooner or later, anyway thanks for telling :)

School was a nightmare. I didn't have many friends and, of course, was bullied for being different.

Yes, the Prosopagnosia has affected all aspect of my life, when I look back on it. I tried to be a Brownie Guider, but it didn't take long for the children to realize I never used their names. Of course, this was because one blonde girl in a ponytail looks just like every other blonde girl in a ponytail. I couldn't tell them apart. They would say, "you don't know us, do you Snowy?" (Brownie Guiders are named after different kinds of owls and are sort-of like teachers) and I had to come clean and admit that I didn't. I gave it up after that.

I do want to see that Brad Pitt interview, because I think it's great when celebrities share about things like this. I've always admired Mika for being open about his Dyslexia. It must have been so hard for Mika when he was a child. But look at what he has achieved. The beautiful articles he has written, and composing songs without knowing how the music is written, not to mention his phenomenal linguistic skills. This proves that, even with a learning problem, or other handicap, people are capable of great things. Maybe more so than if they never had a problem, because tough stuff builds character.

I've always liked Brad Pitt as an actor, especially in movies like Fight Club and Kalifornia. It will be interesting to see how he copes with his condition.

Dunno exactly what Brownie Guiders are but I guess it's some kind of adult guide as you see in associations like the scouts or something like that, but it always surprise me how kids are that smart even when they are so little, and sometimes they're even brutally honests because they do not realize it, i can see how hard was it for you anyway.

I admired a lot too how Mika was open about his condition and his life bakrounds and past experiences, I even did an essay on my as my thesis in my highschool senior year I worked months on that, and was really appreciated from lots of people and most of my professors, I think I'll put the same efforts in these even if they're totally different things :aah:

I think also as you do that people who suffers a lot somohow in life later they're the best you can found because they've passed through something that most of common people cannot easily understand.

I like Brad Pitt as actor too, I'm going to upload the interview right away :)

Sorry for the time when I'm posting but I had a rough day in libraries looking for books I need for the next exams!!

I realised I had the beginnning of the interview to Brad Pitt only in italian but I have found a couple of nice articles in english too, here they are:

Does Brad Pitt suffer from face blindness? (CNN)

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/23/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/brad-pitt-esquire-face-blindness/

Brad Pitt's Not Egotistical, He's 'Face Blind'

http://www.medpagetoday.com/CelebrityDiagnosis/39420

I'm also posting a couple of other articles on Prosopagnosia in english wich are general in the topic but I find pretty well done :)

The Atlantic

Living With Face Blindness

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/09/living-with-face-blindness/279898/

Wired

Face blind

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/blind_pr.html

Hope you'll find it interesting, now I think I'll go to sleep, 'night! :)

Thank you Giovi! My choice is for personal interest, this disorder was just mentioned in a book when I did my 1st exam in my 1st year at college, General psychology 1st, and I thought it was nice to deepen this topic, I'm not doing master degree but just 1st grade deegre in psychological sciences and techniques, this is a non sperimental thesis, so i think it's defined compilative or bibliographic, infact in the 1st degree you don't even still have the chance to discuss your thesis you just have to do it, agreeing with your relator and get your mark for your study (wich normally is always the higher so you have a higher deegre mark) so I thought following a sperimental one for this degree was just too much.

If you'd like to help I'm glad, for now I'm just trying to find some interesting stuff in italian because I've lots of stuff to translate from english, and it's not gonna be so easy :D so if you find something feel free to share it :)

it's a good thing your professor allowed you to choose the subject of your thesis (even if I think he/she won't be able to help you that much), I remember that I had to change it because no one was interested in what I wanted to study (it was FGM, just for the record). Back then there was no degree and master degree, I had a four years degree with final discussion.

I've searched in my University's library catalogue, but apparently the only available materials are online and in English. I have no idea if these resources are open or if you can access them only through the library's subscription, but I can send you a list if you think it's useful.

Sorry for the time when I'm posting but I had a rough day in libraries looking for books I need for the next exams!!

I realised I had the beginnning of the interview to Brad Pitt only in italian but I have found a couple of nice articles in english too, here they are:

Does Brad Pitt suffer from face blindness? (CNN)

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/23/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/brad-pitt-esquire-face-blindness/

Brad Pitt's Not Egotistical, He's 'Face Blind'

http://www.medpagetoday.com/CelebrityDiagnosis/39420

I'm also posting a couple of other articles on Prosopagnosia in english wich are general in the topic but I find pretty well done :)

The Atlantic

Living With Face Blindness

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/09/living-with-face-blindness/279898/

Wired

Face blind

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/blind_pr.html

Hope you'll find it interesting, now I think I'll go to sleep, 'night! :)

That is all so interesting! I also have problems with directions. I always wish they made Sat navs for pedestrians. But I have a satellite street map on my Kindle.

Another problem I have, is with finding things. Most people occasionally miss something that's "right under their noses", but for me, it's a regular thing.

I go to get the ketchup out of the cupboard, and I just can't find it. I'm looking for ages, moving things to see behind them, but it's just not there. Alan (my husband) comes along, reaches into the cupboard, and immediately finds it. I read a while ago, that being unable to locate objects is a side effect of Prosopagnosia.

However, I do know what things are. I don't think a hat is a person. I can usually tell if a person is male or female, old or young.

I find older people harder to tell apart, than younger people. This is because, older women have short white hair, usually curly, they wear glasses, and the old person's voice is deeper, more raspy, less individual. Older men often have bald spots in white hair, glasses, and also more raspy voices.

For me, colour is often the key. Younger people have more colouring. This helps a lot. I'm never going to have trouble telling a brunette from a redhead, a Brown haired person from a person with black hair.

I know white people can usually tell black people apart, but for me, it's impossible. I've been to an all black church, and it's so hard. I would rely on their voices, but the African accent is so strong, voice recognition doesn't work for me. So for me, unfortunately, all black people do look alike.

By the way, for those who don't know what a Brownie Guider is. It's someone who looks after the little girls in the Brownies, before they join the Guides at 11 or 12. The Guides are the female equivalent of the Scouts.

I'm including a statement from my husband Alan. The following is what he has to say.

Hi, I'm Alan Mastin. I've been married to Marilyn for over 32 years.

Living with a wife with Prosopagnosia, I find that when we go out together, Marilyn can't recognize our neighbours and friends. I have to tell her in advance, who they are, otherwise she would just walk past them without saying "hello", so they will think she's ignoring them.

She also can't find anything. I always have to look. It's usually right in front of her eyes, but it's like she's not seen it. Though I know her eyes are fine.

If I point out the object to her, once I've spotted it, she then says she can see it. So I think her brain must not be communicating with her eyes properly.

She's had the condition all her life. I think it's probably because of her genetic condition, Tuberous Sclerosis, that she has this perception problem.

Thank you for opening this thread and sharing your experience Marilyn, I had heard about the condition, but didn't remember reading, that you were suffering from it .

I'm happy you have a lovely and caring husband, who helps you deal with it.

It's a good idea to talk about it openly, it surely makes you feel better about it and it also helps personal relationships.

Marilyn and Francesca, thank you very much for all the infos you're posting, it's a very interesting and useful reading!

Thank you for opening this thread and sharing your experience Marilyn, I had heard about the condition, but didn't remember reading, that you were suffering from it .

It's a good idea to talk about it openly, it surely makes you feel better about it and it also helps personal relationships.

Marilyn and Francesca, thank you very much for all the infos you're posting, it's a very interesting and useful reading!

Thank you Mari, and all the posters here. I'm thrilled with how the thread is progressing.

It's so great to be able to talk about this. I've never really been able to.

I would have loved to join the studies in London, but living up North, having no car, they said they couldn't afford to pay my expenses on the train, and since I am on benefits, I couldn't afford to keep going there.

I think the worst thing about conditions like this, is that so many people don't take you seriously. I used to say that I couldn't recognize faces, and they never really understand. I couldn't get anyone to listen. Then, about 3 years ago there was a program on TV. The man they were talking to was worse than me. He couldn't even recognize himself. But when they talked about face blindness, and about how people cope, recognizing people by their hairstyles, glasses, clothing, I think my mouth opened and didn't close for the whole hour.

There was also an interview with a face blind woman on a morning show. I'm going to try and find it, maybe tomorrow.

It's good we're talking about it. From what I've read about it, I think there are different kinds of Prosopagnosia. Some people say that everyone looks the same. The faces look blank. But others say that they can see the face, but it doesn't stick in their memory. This is the kind that I have. For me, it's like, if two similar looking people are standing together, I can see the differences between them. If I see them separately, I can't tell who is who.

I can see the expressions on people's faces and I know if they are good looking. But when they go away and then come back in a few minutes, I've lost the memory of the face. So though I remember, with my mind, that Mika is drop dead gorgeous, I don't actually remember what he actually looks like, once I don't see his picture, or a video for a few minutes. I can picture his slim shape in my mind's eye, wearing one of his designer suits and I can picture his hair. But, although I know he has brown eyes, and he's shockingly handsome, I can't actually picture his face in my mind. I hope that explains it well enough. It can be confusing to try and explain how the condition affects me.

it's a good thing your professor allowed you to choose the subject of your thesis (even if I think he/she won't be able to help you that much), I remember that I had to change it because no one was interested in what I wanted to study (it was FGM, just for the record). Back then there was no degree and master degree, I had a four years degree with final discussion.

I've searched in my University's library catalogue, but apparently the only available materials are online and in English. I have no idea if these resources are open or if you can access them only through the library's subscription, but I can send you a list if you think it's useful.

Yeah it's really a good thing, also because for my personal way to work it's almost impossible for me to work on something I don't like, so it's way better for me this way, anyway I wouldn't have had help in any case because I'm in open number class at college, so it's already a challenge to find the relator for your thesis, be followed and helped just comes after, but I'm happy with how the thing are going for now, this forum and other things are helping me a lot!

I'm sad to hear about how did it go for you, it happened the same thing to me in highschool, but in that case I held hard and I continued to do what I wanted, unfortunately they have taken away many points in my final vote even though I had done a great job and not only on my accounts but also by the external teachers opinions, anyway it's done now I hope this time i'll be more lucky :)

For the library thing I think it is the same way as mine at college, that needs subscription but go on and a list if you can, it surely won't do any harm :P

That is all so interesting! I also have problems with directions. I always wish they made Sat navs for pedestrians. But I have a satellite street map on my Kindle.

Another problem I have, is with finding things. Most people occasionally miss something that's "right under their noses", but for me, it's a regular thing.

I go to get the ketchup out of the cupboard, and I just can't find it. I'm looking for ages, moving things to see behind them, but it's just not there. Alan (my husband) comes along, reaches into the cupboard, and immediately finds it. I read a while ago, that being unable to locate objects is a side effect of Prosopagnosia.

However, I do know what things are. I don't think a hat is a person. I can usually tell if a person is male or female, old or young.

I find older people harder to tell apart, than younger people. This is because, older women have short white hair, usually curly, they wear glasses, and the old person's voice is deeper, more raspy, less individual. Older men often have bald spots in white hair, glasses, and also more raspy voices.

For me, colour is often the key. Younger people have more colouring. This helps a lot. I'm never going to have trouble telling a brunette from a redhead, a Brown haired person from a person with black hair.

I know white people can usually tell black people apart, but for me, it's impossible. I've been to an all black church, and it's so hard. I would rely on their voices, but the African accent is so strong, voice recognition doesn't work for me. So for me, unfortunately, all black people do look alike.

By the way, for those who don't know what a Brownie Guider is. It's someone who looks after the little girls in the Brownies, before they join the Guides at 11 or 12. The Guides are the female equivalent of the Scouts.

I'm including a statement from my husband Alan. The following is what he has to say.

Hi, I'm Alan Mastin. I've been married to Marilyn for over 32 years.

Living with a wife with Prosopagnosia, I find that when we go out together, Marilyn can't recognize our neighbours and friends. I have to tell her in advance, who they are, otherwise she would just walk past them without saying "hello", so they will think she's ignoring them.

She also can't find anything. I always have to look. It's usually right in front of her eyes, but it's like she's not seen it. Though I know her eyes are fine.

If I point out the object to her, once I've spotted it, she then says she can see it. So I think her brain must not be communicating with her eyes properly.

She's had the condition all her life. I think it's probably because of her genetic condition, Tuberous Sclerosis, that she has this perception problem.

This is always so interesting for me too! I heard about the finding object situation as a consequence in prosopagnosia I must have surely something in my material, think it's in english too, and also something about TBC and genetic aspects, I'll look with more attention and let you, if I upload a scan of a page in a JPG file as a normal photo will you be able to see it with your tablet?

Thanks also for explaining the guides thing, i was almost there :P , and for what concerns black people perception of voices I think it's normal, because

it's not easy even for person without disorders, for you it's even more also because it's not part of your cultural background, so you don't have any kind of hint or basis for wich you can construct a recognition model.

And also your husband message is lovely and so inspired, you two must love each other a lot :) he's really kind and helpful and caring for you and your condition and also well informed because all he said is correct it's the step between what the eyes see and what you perceive when it comes to the brain, this part of the process in prosopagnosia is defective as if information is lost on the way.

Edited by FralovesMika

Thank you Mari, and all the posters here. I'm thrilled with how the thread is progressing.

It's so great to be able to talk about this. I've never really been able to.

I would have loved to join the studies in London, but living up North, having no car, they said they couldn't afford to pay my expenses on the train, and since I am on benefits, I couldn't afford to keep going there.

I think the worst thing about conditions like this, is that so many people don't take you seriously. I used to say that I couldn't recognize faces, and they never really understand. I couldn't get anyone to listen. Then, about 3 years ago there was a program on TV. The man they were talking to was worse than me. He couldn't even recognize himself. But when they talked about face blindness, and about how people cope, recognizing people by their hairstyles, glasses, clothing, I think my mouth opened and didn't close for the whole hour.

There was also an interview with a face blind woman on a morning show. I'm going to try and find it, maybe tomorrow.

It's good we're talking about it. From what I've read about it, I think there are different kinds of Prosopagnosia. Some people say that everyone looks the same. The faces look blank. But others say that they can see the face, but it doesn't stick in their memory. This is the kind that I have. For me, it's like, if two similar looking people are standing together, I can see the differences between them. If I see them separately, I can't tell who is who.

I can see the expressions on people's faces and I know if they are good looking. But when they go away and then come back in a few minutes, I've lost the memory of the face. So though I remember, with my mind, that Mika is drop dead gorgeous, I don't actually remember what he actually looks like, once I don't see his picture, or a video for a few minutes. I can picture his slim shape in my mind's eye, wearing one of his designer suits and I can picture his hair. But, although I know he has brown eyes, and he's shockingly handsome, I can't actually picture his face in my mind. I hope that explains it well enough. It can be confusing to try and explain how the condition affects me.

I'll never thank you enough for all the things you write, you express your condition very well and is an infinite source of inspiration to me personally!

There are a few of different types of prosopagnosia, as all neuropsychological disorders can change in different aspects from a person to another such as Associative Prosopagnosia, Apperceptive Prosopagnosia, Developmental Prosopagnosia, and those are just some examples, I'll try to explain better another time cause I'm still going through all the material I have especially the english ones, but believe me I'm really thankful for you to being so open :hug:

Thank you Mari, it's helpful for me too, a lot indeed! :)