Mika and Dario Fo on "Francesco. Lo Santo Jullare" - RAI1 (Italian TV) 22nd June 2014

Lucrezia

Has this already been posted?

Su Mika, Fo:

Spero di realizzare uno spettacolo intero con Mika.In parte lo abbiamo già registrato, tutto sta nei tempi e nelle possibilità. Ha una grande dote: il coraggio di raccontare e di stare dentro i fatti dell’umanità. Ha un desiderio di grandezza.

Lo spettacolo sarà preceduto dalla conversazione tra Dario Fo e Mika di 5 minuti (la versione integrale sarà disponibile da lunedì 23 giugno su Rai.tv – 40 minuti).

"I hope to realize a whole show with Mika. We have already recorded something, everything depends on time and chances. He has a huge gift: the boldness to tell and stay inside mankind facts (litteral translation. I might not have a clue on what he means).

Before the show, there will be a 5 minutes convo between the two of them (the whole 40 minutes version is going to be available on June 23th on Rai. TV.

And:

Il Corriere della Sera annuncia che Francesco jullare di Dio andrà in onda il 22 giugno in prima serata su Rai1. Dario Fo e Mika hanno registrato a Napoli un dialogo sui temi di attualità di durata di circa 45 minuti. In onda ne verranno mandati circa 15 durante i quali i due parlano anche di Papa Francesco. L'intervento del cantante è previsto in apertura di show, sebbene sia possibile che nel corso d'opera ritorni sul palco.

"Il Corriere della Sera announces that the show will be broadcasted on Rai1 on June 22th. Dario Fo and Mika recorded a 45 minutes dialog about contemporary issues. Only 15 minutes of it will be aired, during which they will talk about Pope Francesco as well. The singer's presence is due at the opening of the show, even if it's possible that he will come back later, during the show. "

(source here)

Grazie Sylvie! :blush-anim-cl: A whole show with MIKA !! Oh, that would be a dream!! I hope the upcoming program with Dario and our MIKA will be a huge success in your country!! ...:wub2:

Love,love

me

I just realized .

:shocked: a 45 minutes dialog

I've been thinking about learning to do subtitles since a year or so, but never dared and it would be suicidal to start with this :facepalm:

:aah: Oh - don't do it then - we all need you here on MFC - daily! :teehee:

Love,love

me

Thanks for the links, articles, translations in advance and everything :thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Wait one second, do I understand it well?

Mika and Dario had like a conversation during 45 minutes that was recorded, we will have 10 minutes or so of it on Sunday night, at the same time that this Francesco theater play, right? Then the whole dialog will be available somewhere on the 23?

It's not possible :mf_rosetinted: I'm only at lesson 8 (of 105 :doh:) of my Italian learning book :aah: How am I supposed to understand it? :aah:

Elwendin, please, learn to do subtitles, you have 4 days :mf_rosetinted:

(yes, and don't die please :huglove:)

:wink2:

I'm excited :wub2:

We will have 10 minutes or so of it on Sunday night, at the same time that this Francesco theater play?

Apparently right before the show starts. Then you can chose whether to watch it all just in case he will pop out again or just drop it and wait for MFC to do it for you :naughty:

It's not possible :mf_rosetinted: I'm only at lesson 8 (of 105) of my Italian learning book. How am I supposed to understand it?

Elwendin, please, learn to do subtitles, you have 4 days :mf_rosetinted:

(yes, and don't die please :)

You better run and work hard in the learning italian thread then :aah:

I found out that doing subs it exactly as messy and hard as I already assumed so I think you'll have to be content with transcripts as I have the same chance to learn in 4 days how to subtitle a 45 minutes dialog as you to learn italian. I'm sure someone will work on translations anyway. :thumb_yello:

Elwendin I'll help you with the 45min of show if you want :wink2: It's not a problem!

I was thinking to go for some team play: someone can transcript what they say in italian (so that non english speakers can help and ours MFC italian school pupils can have their homeworks to read), then translators can split the transcript and go ahead with english version.

Just saying. Of course, it's just a proposal as I really think it would be insanely long, but I don't mind to let someone else to do it, if they want.

If you guys think it's a good idea, I could look for more Santa's little helpers on the italian thread. Otherwise, I drop it and keep on watching The Vampire Diaries. That keeps me busy as well. :mf_rosetinted:

I was thinking to go for some team play: someone can transcript what they say in italian (so that non english speakers can help and ours MFC italian school pupils can have their homeworks to read), then translators can split the transcript and go ahead with english version.

Just saying. Of course, it's just a proposal as I really think it would be insanely long, but I don't mind to let someone else to do it, if they want.

If you guys think it's a good idea, I could look for more Santa's little helpers on the italian thread. Otherwise, I drop it and keep on watching The Vampire Diaries. That keeps me busy as well. :mf_rosetinted:

I'd be really proud to join this translation team, but this time I have to drop: I'll be on holiday and I'm not sure I'll be able to watch the show :dunno:

Do you think there's something else I could do in order to help?

Fine for me! :thumb_yello:

Oh, a transcription would be really nice too, thank you :huglove::huglove:

I'm sorry that I can't help for anything here, but I just want to say that, OF COURSE, there is no hurry for the translation of the 45 minutes. Even if we have it only after one month or anything, we will alway be very happy and very gratefull for all the hard work :thumb_yello::huglove::huglove:

I think that if we work together we can sort it out very quickly.

At the moment both me and Lucrezia are available, but I suppose some others will join. Let's see.

I'm available, too. Starting from Monday, I'll have much more free time, thankfully.

Dario Fo: "My Francesco and Pope Bergoglio, united by courage." Dialogue with Mika

Here are the statements during the press conference of presentation of the work on the life of the Saint from Assisi with references to the actual Pope. (broadcast on RAI 1 in prime time)

"Rather than bring the theater on TV, we are bringing the great theater of Dario Fo on RAI 1": In this way, the director of the first network, Giancarlo Leone, explains in the press conference Francesco, the work of the Nobel Prize that will be broadcast on Sunday, June 22 in prime time. Written 15 years ago under the title Lu Santo Jullare Francesco, the work about the life of the saint of Assisi was presented for the first time in 1999 at the "Festival dei Due Mondi" in Spoleto.

After a long study on canonical texts of the '300 and on documents surfaced in the last three centuries, Dario Fo back on the scene with a new version and an original key of the saint, which allows explicit comparisons to the figure of actual Pope Francesco. Two figures united by the "courage" and by the direct language, which sometimes touches "the violence of expression in order to make win the dignity of man," explains Fo. A brief conversation between the teacher and the Anglo-Lebanese singer Mika will precede the show.

An engaging and moving mix of folk legends and historical reality, animates the medieval scene in which Francesco lives some of his most significant moments: the comparison with Pope Innocent III for the demand about the approval of the Rule, the sermon to the birds, the relationship with the simple, the brothers, the cardinals.

The revisitation of the work starts from the original text, which Dario Fo has reinterpreted in the light of "an unexpected character", as the teacher says, referring to Pope Bergoglio.

"I had already decided to renovate the work," he says that, after he had stumbled across forgotten texts about the life of the saint, he was inspired by the figure of the Pope for the new Francesco. "New texts of some followers of San Francesco made discover new aspects, what we know today of the saint is not always the truth," says Dario Fo, in the light of the new studies, he explains how the popular figure of the saint is built on basis of stories that never happened, or borrowed from the stories of other saints of Northern Europe, above all in France. A good example is the painting where St. Francesco is shown on horseback in the act of undressing from his coat in order to give it to a man. Francesco actually never went on horseback and the story of the gift of the coat belongs to a French saint, says Fo. Thus, the unpublished Francesco highlights one of the many mystifications of the story: "Every organization always tries to field the lie in order to evitate that the right size of the facts is known," says Dario Fo, "because cancelling the way to know the truth, means to control it. "

But the truth is not everything, we also need the invention. "The new Francesco has the voice of Bergoglio," says Fo. There are actually a few similarities between the "South American pontiff who jumps without mincing words against bishops and cardinals too often seduced by money and power" and the medieval saint who has come to fight against the political, the machinery of power, the corruption of the Church, the State, of the men", says Fo. He could not remain, therefore, indifferent to a character like Bergoglio Dario Fo who received the Nobel Prize as italian writer who "following the tradition of medieval jesters, mocks the power restoring the dignity to the oppressed," as explained in the reasons for the award. But the allusion to Pope Bergoglio does not imply imitation: "Imitation is the latest way to talk about satire and grotesque, there is no need of imitation to bring the characters on stage, it's the whole show which helps to rebuild them".

The fabulation that retains the magic of tone "giullaresco" according to medieval tradition, chooses, instead of the original Lombard, a fake Umbrian language, which draws from the medieval vocabulary while remaining understandable to the public today. "I realized - continues Fo - that there were various popular vulgar, such as Jacopone da Todi and other authors, who were oppressed by the Lombard language, the language of jesters and loved by Dante Alighieri, so I started to study all the authors of that time to rebuild a comprehensible language today, which still retains the magical element of the popular vulgar. "

Let me know as always if there's something wrong :wink2:

I came here to write the very same suggestion. Lady Half never disappoints me. You, me, Lucrezia and anybody willing to help might split the translation, fine for me!

Sorry for not being of any help with translating, I'm very busy with exams this summer. Splitting the job is the perfect solution as it won't take too long :thumb_yello:

Edited by Log lady

Dario Fo: "My Francesco and Pope Bergoglio, united by courage." Dialogue with Mika

Here are the statements during the press conference of presentation of the work on the life of the Saint from Assisi with references to the actual Pope. (broadcast on RAI 1 in prime time)

"Rather than bring the theater on TV, we are bringing the great theater of Dario Fo on RAI 1": In this way, the director of the first network, Giancarlo Leone, explains in the press conference Francesco, the work of the Nobel Prize that will be broadcast on Sunday, June 22 in prime time. Written 15 years ago under the title Lu Santo Jullare Francesco, the work about the life of the saint of Assisi was presented for the first time in 1999 at the "Festival dei Due Mondi" in Spoleto.

After a long study on canonical texts of the '300 and on documents surfaced in the last three centuries, Dario Fo back on the scene with a new version and an original key of the saint, which allows explicit comparisons to the figure of actual Pope Francesco. Two figures united by the "courage" and by the direct language, which sometimes touches "the violence of expression in order to make win the dignity of man," explains Fo. A brief conversation between the teacher and the Anglo-Lebanese singer Mika will precede the show.

An engaging and moving mix of folk legends and historical reality, animates the medieval scene in which Francesco lives some of his most significant moments: the comparison with Pope Innocent III for the demand about the approval of the Rule, the sermon to the birds, the relationship with the simple, the brothers, the cardinals.

The revisitation of the work starts from the original text, which Dario Fo has reinterpreted in the light of "an unexpected character", as the teacher says, referring to Pope Bergoglio.

"I had already decided to renovate the work," he says that, after he had stumbled across forgotten texts about the life of the saint, he was inspired by the figure of the Pope for the new Francesco. "New texts of some followers of San Francesco made discover new aspects, what we know today of the saint is not always the truth," says Dario Fo, in the light of the new studies, he explains how the popular figure of the saint is built on basis of stories that never happened, or borrowed from the stories of other saints of Northern Europe, above all in France. A good example is the painting where St. Francesco is shown on horseback in the act of undressing from his coat in order to give it to a man. Francesco actually never went on horseback and the story of the gift of the coat belongs to a French saint, says Fo. Thus, the unpublished Francesco highlights one of the many mystifications of the story: "Every organization always tries to field the lie in order to evitate that the right size of the facts is known," says Dario Fo, "because cancelling the way to know the truth, means to control it. "

But the truth is not everything, we also need the invention. "The new Francesco has the voice of Bergoglio," says Fo. There are actually a few similarities between the "South American pontiff who jumps without mincing words against bishops and cardinals too often seduced by money and power" and the medieval saint who has come to fight against the political, the machinery of power, the corruption of the Church, the State, of the men", says Fo. He could not remain, therefore, indifferent to a character like Bergoglio Dario Fo who received the Nobel Prize as italian writer who "following the tradition of medieval jesters, mocks the power restoring the dignity to the oppressed," as explained in the reasons for the award. But the allusion to Pope Bergoglio does not imply imitation: "Imitation is the latest way to talk about satire and grotesque, there is no need of imitation to bring the characters on stage, it's the whole show which helps to rebuild them".

The fabulation that retains the magic of tone "giullaresco" according to medieval tradition, chooses, instead of the original Lombard, a fake Umbrian language, which draws from the medieval vocabulary while remaining understandable to the public today. "I realized - continues Fo - that there were various popular vulgar, such as Jacopone da Todi and other authors, who were oppressed by the Lombard language, the language of jesters and loved by Dante Alighieri, so I started to study all the authors of that time to rebuild a comprehensible language today, which still retains the magical element of the popular vulgar. "

Let me know as always if there's something wrong :wink2:

:thumb_yello: Grazie mille Lucrezia! :huglove: Big thanks to all our Italien friends here, who will co-operate with the translation, and share with us, what MIKAs "newfound love" Dario Fo, and himself, will get broadcasted!!

This is really great!! :mikadas:

Love,love

me

Here we go, transcritpions and translations are on their way.

Please, be aware that the dialog is sometimes pretty twisted, so you may find it odd: don't blame our translators for it. If it seems weird, well, it's just because it is, here and there... :aah:

Many thanks to our transcribers Anninasala, Sherlocked, AllyB, Charlie20 and to our translators Lucrezia, Charlie20, Log Lady, Elwendin, Maggie112, Marta

VIDEO

ITALIAN TRANSCRIPTION part 1

ITALIAN TRANSCRIPTION part 2

ENGLISH TRANSLATION part 1

ENGLISH TRANSLATION part 2

Screen caps and here by Kumazzz

Edited by Elwendin

I don't mean to spam or something, but I'll just write here who is joining on the mega-dialog project so that we can get this straight. Neat and tidy :wink2:

Then I'll edit this post with the link when we'll have it, then the transcript and finally the translation.

Transcribers:

Anninasala

Sherlocked

AllyB

Translaters:

Lucrezia

Log Lady

Marta

Are we good?

perfect!:thumb_yello:

I don't mean to spam or something, but I'll just write here who is joining on the mega-dialog project so that we can get this straight. Neat and tidy :wink2:

Then I'll edit this post with the link when we'll have it, then the transcript and finally the translation.

Transcribers:

Anninasala

Sherlocked

AllyB

Translaters:

Lucrezia

Log Lady

Marta

Are we good?

Yep!!!!!! I'm ready!!!!! :mikadas::dance_man:

Here's a short article I already posted in the Italian thread. I've added a few bolded sentences just to give a wider perspective on Italian environment.

To my Italian fellows: feel free to give a different interpretation if my translation is wrong!

A truly unique jester, Fo comes back to TV to tell us about a “colleague” beyond any suspicion. Every Dario Fo show that is broadcasted becomes nothing less than a cultural happening. And this is true, more than ever, this time: the rebel Dario Fo, who is already 88, is finally allowed to be back to RAI 1 (the first Italian channel ever founded, it’s a state property and still considered the most important TV channel), a channel he has been banned from a long time ago.

The play, “Francesco lo santo jullare” (“Francesco, a saint and a jester” in vulgar Italian) was recorded in Naple’s auditorium and is a redention of the “play” that Fo, who won the Nobel prize in 1997, premiered at Spoleto Festival back in 1999 and that is now playing again, a few months after Franca Rame’s death (Franca Rame was Fo’s wife). This event will be made even more unique because of the participation of Mika, alias M. H. B. jr, the beloved almost 31 yo british-lebanese singer who’s become almost a step-son to Fo after they met last January at “Le invasioni barbariche”.

An artistic partnership not to be missed, acting on the side scene (in the literal sense of the word, considering that the scene is made by Fo’s painting on the “poor saint” from Assisi) of a renewed, surprising and eclectic, Saint Francis. The one who founded the Minor Friars was able to communicate his faith by his words, his singing, his body gestures and even the theatrical representation: he was in fact the creator of the so called “living” Nativity Scene.

“Francesco used to call himself God’s jester” writes Fo “at a time, the XIII century, when jesters were unpopular and were persecuted for being considered trivial and gossipy. But we was almost a professional jester as he knew the techniques. His whole body was speaking along with his voice, his mimics and his voice were uncommon, he was a real clown in his own time. And within a speech in front of pope Onofrio III, Francesco even started dancing to better show the Lord’s generous gifts. The Pope was moved to tears.”

This sensational communication skill is the focus of Fo’s work, who is trying to rebuild Francesco’s innovative speeches using his artistic sensitivity (there’s nothing written left of Francesco’s sermons). Working on popular traditions, on religious old texts and on newly found documents, the playwriter gives new life to those poetic and imiganative, but also critical and provocative towards the traditions, sermons. War is the first target. And the tongue is the "grammelot", a jesturer mixture of "words coming from all over the place: latin, provence, spanish and even napolitan and sicilian", which Francesco used to handle quite well being used to give his lecture all over Italy when every corner of the country had its own vulgar Italian. A completely non conventional portrait featuring its own epoch characters: aristocrats and church men, war lords and soldiers but artisans and stone cutters as well, all involved in the neverending fight for survival and power. There will be also a link to contemporary world, of course. Fo says he found one of the original scripts of this play, after having lost it, during Bergoglio's election to pope. And a true regard for this pope, humble but at the same time strict when coming to analyze today's reality, has lead Fo to play again this script and to dedicate it to the Argentinean pope.

Blue box: The weird couple: Dario Fo and Mika met for the first time last January at the TV show "Le invasioni barbariche", thanks to Daria Bignardi. Before singing together Fo's "Ho visto un re" (I saw a king), the lebanese songwriter revealed he's been studying Fo for 13 years, and the actor born in Varese replied with a sincere and deep esteem declaration. They met again in Naples, and mika also twitted some photos

Yellow box: what a show! Francesco is a show written by Gianfranco Mazzi and Jacopo Fo (Dario Fo's son) to celebrate after 15 years the orginal monologue play by Dario Fo "Francesco, lo santo jullare di Dio", and was recorded at Naple's auditiorium. A big part of the original script has been adapted by Fo in order to compare Saint Francesco to pope Francesco. Before the beginning of the show, the actor from Lombardia will perform a duet with Mika, who'll be there among the audience as a special guest.

post-31274-142983702565_thumb.jpg

Transcribers:

Anninasala

Sherlocked

AllyB

Translators:

Lucrezia

Log Lady

Marta

Are we good?

If need be, I am also available for transcription and translation.