Last Party - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Log lady

Could be, some people compare Mika with Freddie but that's not new, However I have fallen in love with the song the first time I listened to it in Montreal and it made me cry and still does

Just heard the song (probably illegally, cos I want to wait to order the hard copy of the album), and although it's so sad, it made me so happy- especially with the 'happy ending'-style ending! Finally another MIKA song that I actually like!

Yes, the song sounds like it could be about Freddie when he discovered the gay scene with unfortunate mistiming given the HIV/AIDS epidemic. But then again, MIKA has said in the past that he's actually not a particular fan of Mercury or Queen (unlike me!) :wub2: .

:wub2::wub2::wub2:

Looking forward to some of the other songs now! :)

One doesn't have to be a fan of Freddie or Queen to know HIV/AIDS is a very valid concern. Not arguing, just stating the obvious.

Hi. That`s what I think too. Mika dissociated himself from Freddie and a fact he`s a Queen fan so many times , that I hardly believe he decided to make an ode to F. Mercury. Unless someone else convinced him:naughty: (Gimme a proof !)

The thing I really don`t get about Last Party - is resemblance to Adele`s Someone Like You, especially a piano prelude. :blink: Am I the only one who feels so?

Oh boy, the thing is that if we end up comparing Mika's piano baselines to all of Adele's songs, it will never end :blush-anim-cl: I remember people said that Underwater sounded like Turning Tables by Adele also and a little like Someone Like You... But to be very honest I don't see any resemblance in this song :blink:

That's beyong amazing!! I've cried like a baby, my hands are still shaking a bit.

I just love that nowness film, that song thatss amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's beyong amazing!! I've cried like a baby, my hands are still shaking a bit.

:blush-anim-cl: Indeed, it is - almost too much for me!! :blink: Sooo wonderful to see MIKA performing this utterly beautiful song again, in such a simple and artistic way!! :wub2: MIKA & Peter Lindbergh - what a team!! :wub2: I feel so happy and thankful, because this amazing song is shot this way ...:mikalove:

Love,love

me

Can anyone give me a link where Mika himself says the song is an ode to Freddie Mercury , or a part of an interview ? Seems that Music-News is not a direct speech...

Thanks in advance.

He said it here,during the interview,around 21:10 : http://www.europe1.fr/mediacenter/emissions/sortez-du-cadre/sons/sortez-du-cadre-mika-leila-bekhti-selah-sue-charlize-theron-2419211 .

He said that Freddie is one of his heroes,and that the songs is talking about all the people who died from AIDS,especially back in '80s and '90s.

• Like 1

He said it here,during the interview,around 21:10 : http://www.europe1.fr/mediacenter/emissions/sortez-du-cadre/sons/sortez-du-cadre-mika-leila-bekhti-selah-sue-charlize-theron-2419211 .

He said that Freddie is one of his heroes,and that the songs is talking about all the people who died from AIDS,especially back in '80s and '90s.

Thank you Chris, :thumb_yello:I couldn`t find this particular piece.

A revelation indeed! He's backtracked on the earlier 'I don't model myself on Freddie and barely listened to Queen anyway'. Maybe he's more comfortable in himself now to acknowledge the influence, or possibly just the awesomeness of Freddie Mercury! :mikalove:

would someone be able to trancript only this part??? I want to share in my FB along the video :blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl:

would someone be able to trancript only this part??? I want to share in my FB along the video :blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl:

We already got the whole interview transcribed, we are working on the english translation right now. It should be available quite soon.

We already got the whole interview transcribed, we are working on the english translation right now. It should be available quite soon.

thanks a lot subtitles team :boing: :boing: :boing:

A revelation indeed! He's backtracked on the earlier 'I don't model myself on Freddie and barely listened to Queen anyway'. Maybe he's more comfortable in himself now to acknowledge the influence, or possibly just the awesomeness of Freddie Mercury! :mikalove:

I don't call it backtracking. After all, he said in an interview that he didn't hear Queen for the first time until he was, what? 17? 15? I can't remember off the top of my head. He was heavily promoted by Brian May early in his career, and attended the Stormtroopers In Stilettos Queen exhibit in London when it was on... tells me that he's more than just a casual listener.

It's also not backtracking to me to say he doesn't model himself on Freddie, as he still doesn't. He's very much himself.

Just my two pfennigs.

• Like 1

I don't call it backtracking. After all, he said in an interview that he didn't hear Queen for the first time until he was, what? 17? 15? I can't remember off the top of my head. He was heavily promoted by Brian May early in his career, and attended the Stormtroopers In Stilettos Queen exhibit in London when it was on... tells me that he's more than just a casual listener.

It's also not backtracking to me to say he doesn't model himself on Freddie, as he still doesn't. He's very much himself.

Just my two pfennigs.

Yes I think he likes Freddie and Queen. How could he not like them? I think he just had to distance himself earlier on in his career, because of all the comparisons with Freddie. It got really old, really fast.

But after all this time, in his career, he's proved he's not a clone of Freddie, he's his own person and an artist in his own right.

For me, the song seems more about the tragedy of AIDS, which Freddie, and others contracted, than about just a tribute to Freddie himself.

• Like 1

That's one of the few songs I understood its meaning without waiting for explanations from Mika. :aah:

ah, interesting! tbh, i had no idea... but i like the song a lot more now that i know what it's about.

i took this "end of the world" thing literally and was like "why the f* is he singing about this?!", as it made me think of adventurous maya calendar interpretations and stuff like that. :mf_rosetinted: now it all makes sense, and the lyrics don't bother me anymore. also i think i like the cd version more than the orchestra version. tho i've heard it for the first time watching the video, so it could be that. :dunno:

For me, the song seems more about the tragedy of AIDS, which Freddie, and others contracted, than about just a tribute to Freddie himself.

This is exactly what he said,it's not in particular a song dedicated to Freddie,but to the all ppl who suffered and died from this disease. Anyway,if you know a little about Freddie's life,everything makes sense with those lyrics.