Staring At The Sun - Song/Lyrics Discussion

BiaIchihara

this is such a beautiful song, i instantly connected with it, i fear however that i may break the youtube replay button hehe :teehee:

Edited by tgwktm
  • Like 3

Could this album get any better?

It just has!

What a beautiful song! The lyrics are just heavenly.

Doesn't he sing, "distant hearts?" I'm sure that's what I hear, and it makes sense.

Now that you mention it, I hear "distant heart" too. That was the one part I wasn't sure about, I mainly can just hear the vowel sound in that second word.

• Like 2

I'm listening to this song for the first time- it's great and I can't help but think that it would have been a great album-promoting summer single! :P

I've pre-ordered the album now anyway along with a half-price MIKA t-shirt! :) :) :) Exciting times!

Edited by Ellenowl
  • Like 1

I'm listening to this song for the first time- it's great and I can't help but think that it would have been a great album-promoting summer single! :P

I've pre-ordered the album now anyway along with a half-price MIKA t-shirt! :) :) :) Exciting times!

I agree with you: it's such a great and an easy sing along song. Everytime I hear ''And I don't care if it burns my eyes,,,'' I want to sing  :), I think that TAY is also good but very hard for Mika to sing if he's a little ill and I don't really like the acoustic version he has sung for the promotion,

Thanks a lot for the lyrics poisonyourlove :huglove: It might grow on me, but that' s my least fav for now, although I liked the tiny snipets in the italian commercial...I do like the lyrics , but I need to hear it live, as the studio music brings me down, I know I'm wierd :loco:

I agree with you: it's such a great and an easy sing along song. Everytime I hear ''And I don't care if it burns my eyes,,,'' I want to sing  :), I think that TAY is also good but very hard for Mika to sing if he's a little ill and I don't really like the acoustic version he has sung for the promotion,

I agree, once again it's frustrating to think that the record company would have heard all the songs and they chose TAY as the lead single.

I like TAY, but so many other songs are better than that. SATS is a beautiful pop song, especially in the, "And I don't care if it burns my eyes," part.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the lyrics poisonyourlove :huglove: It might grow on me, but that' s my least fav for now, although I liked the tiny snipets in the italian commercial...I do like the lyrics , but I need to hear it live, as the studio music brings me down, I know I'm wierd :loco:

I do know what you mean- it almost has a cool electropop vibe. It's not necessarily a sound particularly associated with Mika, and reminds me a bit of Empire of the Sun's style. Nick Littlemore (of EOTS) co-wrote/produced some of the songs from TOOL but somehow I hear the influence more here!

I like the song though, but genuinely think it'd be better placed as a lead single than an album song. It's great, catchy and quite musically relevant in ways that TAY sadly is not. :P

Edited by Ellenowl
  • Like 1

Official audio has been uploaded to youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmponDvIoGc

My guess for the lyrics . . .

Watch the sun set, hold it from afar
Close as I get to being where you are
While there's light left I sing this song for you
Don't know if you care, but every day I do

Here I stand, staring at the sun
Distant land, staring at the sun
You're not there, but we share the same one
Miles apart, staring at the sun
Distant dock, staring at the sun
One thing's true, just like you, there's only one
And I don't care if it burns my eyes
And I don't care, cause my love is blind
From staring at the sun 
Whoa, from staring at the sun 
From staring at the sun 

Send my love down in those rays of light
Through your window on your tired eyes
Say good morning, say it to the sun
Like you're talking, talking to someone

Here I stand, staring at the sun
Distant land, staring at the sun
You're not there, but we share the same one
Miles apart, staring at the sun
Distant dock, staring at the sun
One thing's true, just like you, there's only one
And I don't care if it burns my eyes
And I don't care, cuz my love is blind
From staring at the sun 
From staring at the sun 

So, for our latin MFCers, here's my translation to spanish :D (I wanted to do it because this is one of my favorite lyrics from the new album so far)

"Veo la puesta de Sol, la aferro desde la distancia

Es lo más cerca que llego a estar, donde tú estás

Mientras haya luz aún, canto esta canción para ti

No se si a ti te preocupa, pero a mí si, a diario

Aquí estoy, mirando al Sol

Tierra distante, mirando al Sol

Tú no estás ahí, pero compartimos el mismo

A millas de distancia, mirando al Sol

Muelle distante, mirando al Sol

Una cosa es cierta, al igual que tú, sólo hay uno

Y no me importa si me quema los ojos

Y no me importa, porque mi amor es ciego

Por mirar al Sol

Whoa, por mirar al Sol

Por mirar al Sol

Whoa, por mirar al Sol

Envío mi amor por esos rayos de luz

A través de tu ventana, en tus ojos cansados

Di buenos días, díselo al Sol

Como si hablaras, como si hablaras con alguien

Por mirar al Sol

Whoa, por mirar al Sol

Por mirar al Sol

Whoa, por mirar al Sol"

I LOVED THIS LYRICS, hope you like them to! Enjoy/disfrútenlas!

• Like 2

So, for our latin MFCers, here's my translation to spanish :D (I wanted to do it because this is one of my favorite lyrics from the new album so far)

"Veo la puesta de Sol, la aferro desde la distancia

Es lo más cerca que llego a estar, donde tú estás

Mientras haya luz aún, canto esta canción para ti

No se si a ti te preocupa, pero a mí si, a diario

Por mirar al Sol

Whoa, por mirar al Sol

Por mirar al Sol

Whoa, por mirar al Sol

Envío mi amor por esos rayos de luz

A través de tu ventana, en tus ojos cansados

Di buenos días, díselo al Sol

Como si hablaras, como si hablaras con alguien

Por mirar al Sol

Whoa, por mirar al Sol

Por mirar al Sol

Whoa, por mirar al Sol"

I LOVED THIS LYRICS, hope you like them to! Enjoy/disfrútenlas!

I'm sure it's "distant hearts, or heart", not distant dock. I don't know how you've translated that bit as I don't understand the language, but I thought I'd mention it.

At first I didn't like this song as much as some of the others, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. Somehow, I find it relaxing and invigorating at the same time. :)

• Like 1

This song is in my top 3 for the album. But I wanted to see if anybody got an Empire of the Sun (Nick Littlemore) vibe from the song? For some reason it keeps reminding me of "We are the people" by Nick's band Empire of the Sun. Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YN2lsrWN34

When listening to both songs I get the same dreamy vibe, especially at the chorus... maybe the guitar and rhythm may have something to do with this. Overall, it's an amazingly crafted song. Thoughts on the comparison?  

• Like 1

Thoughts on the comparison?  

My first thoughts as well.  :yes:  The song itself is pleasant to listen to but not particularly special to me compared with the rest of the new songs I have just come across accidentally.

Hi MFCers

One of my favorites one on the new album  :thumb_yello:  :thumb_yello:  :thumb_yello: 

This song is in my top 3 for the album. But I wanted to see if anybody got an Empire of the Sun (Nick Littlemore) vibe from the song? For some reason it keeps reminding me of "We are the people" by Nick's band Empire of the Sun. Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YN2lsrWN34

+1

When listening to both songs I get the same dreamy vibe, especially at the chorus... maybe the guitar and rhythm may have something to do with this. Overall, it's an amazingly crafted song. Thoughts on the comparison?  

Indee, same vibe 

but not only, I can hear some vibes from "Pet Shop Boys" in that song , don't know if you know them because they were singing in the 80's (old english band  :grandma: )

Could this album get any better?

It just has!

What a beautiful song! The lyrics are just heavenly.

Doesn't he sing, "distant hearts?" I'm sure that's what I hear, and it makes sense.

Well said  :thumb_yello:  and totally agree with you  :wink2: 

this is such a beautiful song, i instantly connected with it, i fear however that i may break the youtube replay button hehe :teehee:

Not instant connection with this song to me but nearly : from the chorus -after 30 seconds ;) 

and I do love that chorus and that rythm, it is so fresh  :cheer: 

Also,  I can't stop singing "and I don't caaaaaaaaaare if it burns my eyes"  :teehee:  :teehee:  :teehee:  "I don't caaaaaaaaaaaare cause my love is blind"

And I feel like dancing when I hear this one, I long to hear it at gigs  :mika1:  :biggirl: 

His voice is going so high -again-  and that is what Iove the most with MIKA

Edited by Sweetieval

• 1 month later...

Such a shame it's only available in France

• Like 1

Well, I must say that this time I am very happy to live in France and be able to download the song. :wub:  I like a lot this french-english version. There is also a different sound in those french parts, a kind of clearer sound. 

• Like 2