NEW VIDEO! Talk About You

dcdeb

It's not one of my favourite videos, but at least it isn't boring, with his one-man-fashion-show, and the bit with the car breaks it up a bit. I do prefer a pop video to tell a simple story, like Popular Song does, or just be simply performed, like Last Party.

But whether we like the video or not (and it's certainly not his worst video) it's the song that will count and if it's to be a hit, Mika must start his promotion of the single, otherwise, he might as well have not bothered making a video in the first place.

Those were my thoughts exactly - what story did TAY have, anyway? It's not too much of a story. It's just a feel-good summer love song and I definitely hope that now it will get the attention it deserves!

Indeed. Songs like Last Party do have a story to tell and need to be told in the way he did in Peter Lindbergh's video. As for TAY i like the idea of a funny colorful and summer-like clip, I love the dancers moving around buildings, animals, plants etc. I don't like his suits too much, as many of you said, a t-shirt would have been better. Altogether I like it....

The video is very "Love Today" but I don't think I'm adding much to what you guys already wrote, 'cause I agree with most of it. Sponsors in the clip were annoying. I haven't seen Mika wear anything but Valentino lately and I think he should start being creative. When I saw the snippet in the 50 minutes documentary, I had very bad feelings about it, but after watching the whole thing I think it's not too bad.

Edited by RayaBadran

A bit heavy on the product placement, as has been said, but overall, fun and colorful. The song's about the mad rush of emotion when you're in love, I wasn't really expecting a huge plotline to the video.

• Like 1

I really, really like it, though after reading the thread I wasn't particularly expecting to. I even liked all but one of the suits :blink: (The blue satin one, if you're interested)

But I thought it was good to look at and fun to watch, and as some other people have been saying

- TAY is basically about walking round town wanting to tell people you're in love, this vid fits it IMO. There might or might not be hints of deeper issues in the song, but the thing about hints is that it would defeat the object to shove them in people's faces through

the video

- if this vid and TLP are seen together, they both look even better

I only found the swatch placement obvious, and I liked the jokey way the vid (deliberately IMO) played on it .

Really pleased with it

Edited by Soaring Simpson
  • Like 1

This video would have been great 7 years ago. When the song would have been original instead of some mashup between 1970s and 1980s cheese. When Mika would have been wearing his own fun style instead of modelling some fugly designer gear that is 3 sizes too small for him. When he would have been doing some silly dances but not the front crawl. When he would have had a music video director instead of a fashion photographer. When he would have had more integrity than to completely ruin the aesthetic of his set design with the ugliest BMW I have ever had the misfortune of seeing (I didn't even know such a thing existed!)

All in all it makes me want to cancel my trip to NYC. And honestly if I see a Valentino suit on stage I may just have to walk out.

• Like 3

- Pros

I love the concept of this video, especially that moving paper(?) structures with dancers. It's so Mika-ish creative and I hope I could see similar stage set on his upcoming live shows.  And....  The dancers did so great!

It's a bit like Rain, and a bit like Love today ...but I like this one much more! I can feel (a bit) my old Mika again. 

- Cons

The problem is, the quality of this video is just embarrassingly poor. Apparently this video needed more money on it... 

Relieved it's not that "poor blockbuster" like Boum Boum Boum, but still, wish it had more details on the scene and Mika's Movements. Oh I love his extempore dancing movement during the gigs, as those are just Live gigs, but I prefer to see more planned and well organized moves on official movies.

One thing that I really hate - the Car Scene! OMG the worst thing I've ever seen in Mika's MV! Please!  :naughty:

I really hope to introduce some famous K-Pop MV directors to Mika  :mf_rosetinted: They will help him how to make high quality MV full of MIka-ish creative stuffs, with very low budget. 

Edited by Yuna

This video would have been great 7 years ago. When the song would have been original instead of some mashup between 1970s and 1980s cheese. When Mika would have been wearing his own fun style instead of modelling some fugly designer gear that is 3 sizes too small for him. When he would have been doing some silly dances but not the front crawl. When he would have had a music video director instead of a fashion photographer. When he would have had more integrity than to completely ruin the aesthetic of his set design with the ugliest BMW I have ever had the misfortune of seeing (I didn't even know such a thing existed!)

All in all it makes me want to cancel my trip to NYC. And honestly if I see a Valentino suit on stage I may just have to walk out.

Sometimes you say what I wanted to say, with fluent English  :mf_rosetinted:

NO VALENTINO on stage. and That super ugly BMW completely ruining that amazing structures.

• Like 1

Ok - I confess - I have no idea how the heck you all recognise Valentino suits. I can't, so I didn't identify them as product placement, and they didn't spoil the video for me.

Pointing at his watch, I noticed. Possibly I should have noticed the car, but the "scene" was a street, which is where cars go, and I didn't. I grant you those (though I still think the way they were done was amusing***.) But Mika had to be wearing something, and he obviously likes suits these days, lots of suits, and the suits in this vid went with the rest of it so.... seriously, I'm not seeing obvious product placement regarding the suits  :dunno:

Although I certainly did notice, with disapproval, that the :badword: suits didn't :badword: fit Mika properly.

***As in, he reminded me of Jenifer Aniston saying "here comes the [product placement] bit"

Edited by Soaring Simpson
  • Like 1

Oh dear.  Back to the amateurish art school videos :thumbdown:.  This is a average song with a mediocre video and clumsy product placement - it certainly won't re-establish him on the pop scene.

If you look at the video for TLP and then this, it's going from the sublime to the ridiculous.

• Like 3

I'm so glad I see here some people I haven't seen in a while. :bye: So this video is doing a great thing by bringing us here again.

I find it funny, ironic, retro and I like it. Mika in suits looks like Italian and French singers from the 60's and this just emphasize the retro feeling. Swatch would look better drawn, as a part of the scenery. I think they could do it with the car, too, but then it would be less obvious.

His face expression at the beginning, 0:05, looks so bright and positive it made my day. :wub2:

Edited by nenartus
  • Like 2

Ok - I confess - I have no idea how the heck you all recognise Valentino suits. I can't, so I didn't identify them as product placement, and they didn't spoil the video for me.

Pointing at his watch, I noticed. Possibly I should have noticed the car, but the "scene" was a street, which is where cars go, and I didn't. I grant you those (though I still think the way they were done was amusing***.) But Mika had to be wearing something, and he obviously likes suits these days, lots of suits, and the suits in this vid went with the rest of it so.... seriously, I'm not seeing obvious product placement regarding the suits :dunno:

Although I certainly did notice, with disapproval, that the :badword: suits didn't :badword: fit Mika properly.

***As in, he reminded me of Jenifer Aniston saying "here comes the [product placement] bit"

I don't know whether the suits are a product placement, but they're very recognisable from The Voice/X Factor where he himself said he was wearing (custom made I think?) Valentino suits. But I don't like them, they don't blend in with the set design Edited by Alyara

I'm so disappointed. The video is just plain awful. The product placement works poorly and it feels like I'm watching a 3min add for some clothing store. I love the background design, but it has nothing to do with the song and it's just so awkward watching Mika standing there, lip syncing to his own song. It doesn't even looks like he sings. Give me some emotion. It's a happy song, dance along, scream, jump, be the Mika I like. At least give me something now it's just meh...

• Like 4

yes.  :mf_rosetinted:

while watching it the first time i honestly thought people would like this video more (apart from the product placement)  :facepalm:

i think it's fun & summery & fits the song well.  the moving scenery is creative & i find the awkward dancing adorable, much better than him just standing there or doing some fancy choreography.

Pointing at his watch, I noticed. Possibly I should have noticed the car, but the "scene" was a street, which is where cars go, and I didn't. I grant you those (though I still think the way they were done was amusing***.) But Mika had to be wearing something, and he obviously likes suits these days, lots of suits, and the suits in this vid went with the rest of it so.... seriously, I'm not seeing obvious product placement regarding the suits  :dunno:

Although I certainly did notice, with disapproval, that the :badword: suits didn't :badword: fit Mika properly.

the watch i definitely noticed, i think if they'd held the shot a second shorter or something it wouldn't have bothered me as much i guess.  The car made sense being there i guess, but again i think they focused on it a little too long.  ....I was just waiting for him pulled out his phone for them to focus on like in the Popular Song video.  thank gawd the car didn't talk this time!

the ill-fitting suits didn't even register as product placement to me, guess i'm so used to him appearing in them now :teehee:

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1

I don't know whether the suits are a product placement, but they're very recognisable from The Voice/X Factor where he himself said he was wearing (custom made I think?) Valentino suits. But I don't like them, they don't blend in with the set design

so it´s only a limited part of his fans who will recognize his suits as Valentino´s. To say the truth the one his mum made him is the one with the too short sleeves as always....... Which I really liked with the car is that he wore the seat belt for the first time.......... I accept the product placements because they mean we will get more Videos in the future. :wink2:

• Like 1

I guess every video so far divided fans on two totally opposite sides. :teehee:

He is walking through the city. That's what the song says. :fisch: It so visually two dimensional and beautifully ironic. Looks like old cartoons.

It's the direct connection with the design of the album so the album is going to be recognizable at first sight. That is if he promotes this video enough.

• Like 1

LOVE!

It's bright and colorful and happy, complete with the wonky dancing that is so endearing. I wasn't expecting anything deep, considering the nature of the song. I like the simple DIY feel of the video. Yeah, the product placement was jarring, but sort of a necessary evil to get the bills paid. I'm ok with the suits. I find them so original, and they are a little tight, but they give his body a lovely line. Between the beauty and emotion that is The Last Party it's all great

• Like 1

I guess every video so far divided fans on two totally opposite sides. :teehee:

He is walking through the city. That's what the song says. :fisch: It so visually two dimensional and beautifully ironic. Looks like old cartoons.

It's the direct connection with the design of the album so the album is going to be recognizable at first sight. That is if he promotes this video enough.

Indeed, it's rather interesting to see how divided the opinions are! People either love the video for the colours and the fun, and happiness.. Or hate it because it's too simple, too much product-placement, too cheaply made. I'm definitely on the love-side, although I cringed at the car scene. But it makes me happy and, like I said before, since the song itself doesn't have deep lyrics, I wasn't expecting anything deep and meaningful in the video. I love how he's able to do things like Last Party video (which I love as well) and this. Both things are so him.

But the dance moves still are ridiculous :teehee:

• Like 2

the ill-fitting suits didn't even register as product placement to me, guess i'm so used to him appearing in them now :teehee:

yes, i think someone who doesn't know about his connection to valentino won't even notice. the car and the watch are too obvious tho. although the watch looks pretty good and the car is a (although ugly) bmw, so a company from my hometown. :teehee: anyway, whatever. i just hope he's successful enough in the future, so his record label pays for the videos again and he won't have to finance it like this anymore. :fisch:

Edited by mellody