NEW VIDEO! Talk About You

dcdeb

I think it is really really sad that it seems to be necessary to use product placement in a music video!

In a Mika-music video for f...sake!

I became a Mika-fan ofcourse because I fell in love with Grace Kelly, but in second place because of his integrety. 

And that is complety gone by making a music vid into a tv-commercial or VV.

From now on I will only listen to the song, not watch it. 

• Like 1

First time I watched the video it made me smile: so I guess it worked (at least in my case) the way it was supposed to do. I like all those beautiful and sometimes just odd costumes because nowadays all the men I see in my work etc dress in such an annoying way. If Mika wears those suits he must like them. I would have prefered the vidéo without product placement, but well that's a way to get some more money for making it. I am of course dreaming of a really beautiful and artistic video for Good Guys for exemple....

. And honestly if I see a Valentino suit on stage I may just have to walk out.

I'm not expecting  seeing Mika in Valentino  suit on a stage ( and I think you will be able to stay and safely enjoy the full gig until the end !) :) But God, I find him gorgeous in those suits! I love that dandy look on him! :wub:

and enjoyed seeing him wearing them in the video!

I didn't thought this video would get such bad reactions. My first thought was: It's just so Mika :D With all the self-made colorful cartoons that get into life and his typical way of dancing :D

And personally I like it very much. I just love it when it's colorful and cartoony :D And I think that it's very creative in its simple, hand-made style. The idea to twist it, to have the town changing, not the person and portraying it all with a cartoon that has gotten to live through humans. With all the little details, you can watch so many times and concentrate on different cartoons and can discover something different. The references to theatrical set decoration.

And it's totally in line with the new artwork scheme :thumb_yello:

Yes, the swatch & BMW product placement is very obvious, but I don't mind that if he can do the videos he wants to do this way and can transform his ideas into reality.

• Like 5

Anyway, glad to see he found a way of recycling all his suits.

:roll1:  :roll1:  :roll1:  :roll1:

I like the cartoons but as a whole the video doesn't work for me. Got very distracted by suits, car and watch. And I wonder what happened to his old smooth and energetic movements. Perhaps the suits aren't suited for dancing?

But one of the things  I like most about Mika is his diversity and that he likes trying new things. So as long as he's happy with it, I'm okay. Not such a big fan of his new music but still a big fan of his personality. :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

I didn't thought this video would get such bad reactions. My first thought was: It's just so Mika :D With all the self-made colorful cartoons that get into life and his typical way of dancing :D

And personally I like it very much. I just love it when it's colorful and cartoony :D And I think that it's very creative in its simple, hand-made style. The idea to twist it, to have the town changing, not the person and portraying it all with a cartoon that has gotten to live through humans. With all the little details, you can watch so many times and concentrate on different cartoons and can discover something different. The references to theatrical set decoration.

And it's totally in line with the new artwork scheme :thumb_yello:

Yes, the swatch & BMW product placement is very obvious, but I don't mind that if he can do the videos he wants to do this way and can transform his ideas into reality.

Yes, it's very Mikaish and happy and that feels great :biggrin2: And I like the suit his mum made for him :wub2: I like that he plays peek a boo and also the cartoons choregraphy around him :thumb_yello: 

• Like 1

the watch i definitely noticed, i think if they'd held the shot a second shorter or something it wouldn't have bothered me as much i guess.  The car made sense being there i guess, but again i think they focused on it a little too long.

:yeah: too much time on the watch, I agree. And I even think one of Mika's watches would have been better, with all the colours and the mask and stuff

I think it is really really sad that it seems to be necessary to use product placement in a music video!

Product placement is annoying, especially when it's so obvious, but I don't understand why people are so upset. Mika needs money, sponsors give him money but want something in return, of course. It's not charity. Without money, there wouldn't probably be a new album, a new tour, new music videos and people would moan just the same.

• Like 5

The product placement didn't really bother me. Someone has to sponsor him so that's okay.

It isn't that I hate the video. I did expect something about walking through the city, and the jungle, as the song dictates. What disappointed me was that they used cheap cut-outs of cartoon buildings with people dancing around.

I'd have preferred to see Mika in a real street, and then among some real trees, but that's only my own opinion.

It's a fun song and I hope it will be a hit over here. But having seen Good Guys on The Voice, I now wish that Good Guys was the single in the UK.

Product placement is annoying, especially when it's so obvious, but I don't understand why people are so upset. Mika needs money, sponsors give him money but want something in return, of course. It's not charity. Without money, there wouldn't probably be a new album, a new tour, new music videos and people would moan just the same.

"Mika needs money"? I'm sorry but that made me laugh a little! He's sold loads of records, had lots of (sold out) shows etc etc. If he makes a good album people will buy it. There's your money to make a nice music video. There's absolutely no need to make a commercial out of it!

• Like 1

In a Mika-music video for f...sake!

I became a Mika-fan ofcourse because I fell in love with Grace Kelly, but in second place because of his integrety.

And that is complety gone by making a music vid into a tv-commercial or VV.

It's mindboggling to me how many people just accept Mika selling his artistic integrity to the highest bidder because he "has to" or because it is the only way he can continue to make music. Accept it without questioning why other artists - ones that make less money and sell less records than Mika has - do not do this. Paolo Nutini does not stop in the middle of his videos to drive a BMW ffs. Paolo Nutini - someone who spent the last 5 years taking it easy and recording an album - not getting paid to sell beer and watches and sit in a chair on 4 different TV shows. Paolo Nutini - someone who did not sell anywhere near 8 million copies of his first 2 albums - somehow managed to make another album and some videos and go on tour without driving over his art in a BMW.

The very idea of it is absurd and it's unfortunate that there are now so few fans of Mika's left who can remember when the idea of Mika doing it was also utterly shocking and repulsive. The fact that he is doing it now is the reason there are so few left.

Do you remember how distressed he and Greg were over the record company pressuring him to change the word "dead" in Blame it on the Girls? And now he tries to pitch this complete and utter lack of artistic integrity in exchange foe cash as "not worrying about what people think". Rubbish.

• Like 2

It's mindboggling to me how many people just accept Mika selling his artistic integrity to the highest bidder because he "has to" or because it is the only way he can continue to make music. Accept it without questioning why other artists - ones that make less money and sell less records than Mika has - do not do this. Paolo Nutini does not stop in the middle of his videos to drive a BMW ffs. Paolo Nutini - someone who spent the last 5 years taking it easy and recording an album - not getting paid to sell beer and watches and sit in a chair on 4 different TV shows. Paolo Nutini - someone who did not sell anywhere near 8 million copies of his first 2 albums - somehow managed to make another album and some videos and go on tour without driving over his art in a BMW.

The very idea of it is absurd and it's unfortunate that there are now so few fans of Mika's left who can remember when the idea of Mika doing it was also utterly shocking and repulsive. The fact that he is doing it now is the reason there are so few left.

Do you remember how distressed he and Greg were over the record company pressuring him to change the word "dead" in Blame it on the Girls? And now he tries to pitch this complete and utter lack of artistic integrity in exchange foe cash as "not worrying about what people think". Rubbish.

This is a way many fans didn't want him to go and I understand that, I really do. I wasn't around in 2007 but watching some old videos, interviews and so on even I miss the Mika from those years. But who am I to say how he has to live his life? For whatever reason he decided to go this way, that's how things are right now and everyone has the right to agree, to disagree or not to give a ****. I have no problem with that. Mine was a genuine question. Why do people feel so upset, as if he slapped them in the face? I just don't think people should take it so personal, because that's the impression I got. I may be wrong. But in the end I still believe he really can't make all of us happy, because we're so many and so different from each other that there will always be someone moaning about something, whatever it may be. I'm not saying I'm always happy with his choices, but again, what can I do. That being said, everyone's entitled to their own opinions Edited by Alyara
  • Like 1

Exactly. Very interesting point. Why does he (feel the) need to do this? He must have more money now then when Grace Kelly was made and that video was simple but gorgeous without any commercial "extra's". I don't understand it. Is he afraid to end poor and forgotten and therefore saving all he can now? He said he was very happy with the video. Does that really include the car scene?

I'm just not very upset about it because I've only discovered Mika at the end of last year. My feelings about him have been sudden and intense but they are relatively new and therefore not so deep. So there's only light disappointment but no indignation.

I just can't figure out how it's possible that he is so happy with the music and video's that he is making at the moment. I can understand that after all those heavy years of touring, writing and promoting his records, he needed a break and change. He obviously enjoys participating in the tv shows and he seems to love coaching other singers. I watched all the recent Voice episodes and found him endearing and very kind. If he wants that now instead of concentrating on writing more interesting music, i'm perfectly okay with that. And if he likes wearing Valentino suits and going to fashion shows with his designer friends, I wish him many happy events (as if he cares what I think about it anyway). Anyway he seems more relaxed and happy then when he was younger (not in his tv singing performances though, i miss the joy and intensity of earlier years).

But i don't quite get his artistic choices at the moment. In my opinion, they are as far away from his first two cd's as his present movements from his former explosive dancing. However, although his new style is not my cup of tea and promoting cars and watches isn't the change I was hoping for, I still like the fact that he is changing and not running around forever in his old cloths or curls. So I'm very curious to find out what Mika will be like in about 5 (or 10 or 15) years. And I'm looking forward to my first Mika concert even if he will be wearing a Valentino suit.

• Like 1

Exactly. Very interesting point. Why does he (feel the) need to do this? He must have more money now then when Grace Kelly was made and that video was simple but gorgeous without any commercial "extra's". I don't understand it. Is he afraid to end poor and forgotten and therefore saving all he can now? He said he was very happy with the video. Does that really include the car scene?

I'm just not very upset about it because I've only discovered Mika at the end of last year. My feelings about him have been sudden and intense but they are relatively new and therefore not so deep. So there's only light disappointment but no indignation.

I just can't figure out how it's possible that he is so happy with the music and video's that he is making at the moment. I can understand that after all those heavy years of touring, writing and promoting his records, he needed a break and change. He obviously enjoys participating in the tv shows and he seems to love coaching other singers. I watched all the recent Voice episodes and found him endearing and very kind. If he wants that now instead of concentrating on writing more interesting music, i'm perfectly okay with that. And if he likes wearing Valentino suits and going to fashion shows with his designer friends, I wish him many happy events (as if he cares what I think about it anyway). Anyway he seems more relaxed and happy then when he was younger (not in his tv singing performances though, i miss the joy and intensity of earlier years).

But i don't quite get his artistic choices at the moment. In my opinion, they are as far away from his first two cd's as his present movements from his former explosive dancing. However, although his new style is not my cup of tea and promoting cars and watches isn't the change I was hoping for, I still like the fact that he is changing and not running around forever in his old cloths or curls. So I'm very curious to find out what Mika will be like in about 5 (or 10 or 15) years. And I'm looking forward to my first Mika concert even if he will be wearing a Valentino suit.

Until the Celebrate video his label paid for the vids and as he told at one point they forced him to do things he didn´t want to do. So he looked for sponsors to make the vids he wants to make with the songs he wants to use. It´s about his freedom and I think it´s totally o.k. he doesn´t use his own money.

• Like 3

I've watched this vid many times to find at least something I like in it. But unfortunately I like only the concept of it. I think that the creative part (set desing, dancers, band on set) is ok. This vid reminds me a little Blame it on the girl, maybe because of the dancers or the way in which set design changes. But I didn't like those suits (he doesn't seem free to move and spread the magic :pbjt: ) and totally hate product placement. IF you have to do it, at least, do it in a proper way. BMW is one of your sponsor? Perfect, choose a beetly model insted of that huge monster and, above all, not a red one  :doh:​  Swatch is the other sponsor? Perfect again, the watch is even cool, but more that 1 second on it is ridiculous. Furthermore, why should he check the time in that precise moment? Nothing in the lyrics is related to time, right?  :dunno:  There is even more product placement in Popular Song vid, but is less obvious, because everyone is focused on the story, because there is a story. I'm perfectly ok with "soft" vids with no story behind them, but this one is so poorly well-finished under so many point of view. Just think about Grace Kelly or We Are Golden vids, simple ideas (maybe lower budget :naughty: ) but realized in a funny, cheerful, proper way. Summing up: great concept realized in a bad way, what a pity.  :annoyed_h4h:

Well, it turned out that my husband saw the video. And we have totally different points of view!

And not much of a fan, he didn't like the things that I found good  - he said it looks way too homemade and chip (I suppose it can give to Mika one point more, because homemade decorations are his feature, and I always liked them).

He noticed product placement too, but without blaming him that much (as we, fans, do).

And he sincerely liked the suits! He didn't watch Voice, so he isn't fed up with them at all. My husband said that they fit to Mika's image perfectly, and only such a parrot as Mika :naughty: can look stunning while wearing such a colourful suits. 

All in all, I suppose the general impression is positive. 

• Like 1

But who am I to say how he has to live his life? For whatever reason he decided to go this way, that's how things are right now and everyone has the right to agree, to disagree or not to give a ****. I have no problem with that. Mine was a genuine question.

The key here is "for whatever reason". The reason is money and I don't accept this nonsense about how he needs to do this in order to make music and tour. It's not true. I don't care how he lives his life, I just don't accept the propaganda.

I agree with the bold parts especially. It is nice to see him more relaxed and confident and I don't want to see him looking like he did when he was 23 or making the exact same albums over and over. But this is not the way to go if one wants a successful music career. If he doesn't want that fine, but I don't want to hear about how it's everyone's fault from American homophobes to unsupportive record companies to the mean British public's that he's not selling more records and filling more venues.

Until the Celebrate video his label paid for the vids and as he told at one point they forced him to do things he didn´t want to do. So he looked for sponsors to make the vids he wants to make with the songs he wants to use. It´s about his freedom and I think it´s totally o.k. he doesn´t use his own money.

I don't believe that - at all. I don't believe that sticking a BMW so obviously and incongruously into his video is what he wants. There is no independence or artistic freedom to be gained from taking money from a corporation that sells cars instead of a corporation that sells albums.

Anyway it doesn't matter. He is free to take money for ruining his videos and I am free not to watch them.

Of course it's okay but I still don't understand it.

Now the sponsors make him him do things with their products. Is that better then? And in one of the recent interviews he said that he couldn't decide if Last Party would be the new single but that that was up to someone else sitting there in the studio (record label manager or something like that). So I think his freedom is limited now as well.

Perhaps he doesn't care about the product placement that much. He loves the suits, the scene with the watch was sort of ironic and he needed a car anyway to do the trick with the cartoons moving instead of the car moving. So why not use a car from a compagny that pays you to do that?

I guess, it wouldn't be an issue to me if I liked the video. Because it didn't work for me I started asking myself if it would have been better without the commercial stuff. For example if he would have used a cartoon car as well instead of a real car. Or another car that would have connected more with the cartoons. But it's all a mater of taste of course. I just find it difficult to rhyme his old taste with his new one and i wonder if commercial reasons have anything to do with that.

• Like 1

The music industry has changed since MIKA entered it in 2007.  It's not very easy to earn a lot of money, by selling records, anymore.  The artists need to find other arenas to get their money, and it's totally normal to get sponsors!  Imo, MIKA has become more of a business man the last years :wink2:   He knows his market value, and he uses it.   What's wrong with that?!  I think most of the artists, both in the music industry and the sports market,  do the same, if they get the right opportunity -  and I don't think they loose their artistic integrity because of that!!  It's the product they deliver that counts, if it's music albums, concerts or sporty results! :)   When it comes to the car in the video, I think it's wise to use a BMW i3, because it's an electric one, good for the environment.  I think MIKA would be more kind to the streets of London, by driving such a little genious, than the old one he has used since he got his lisence :naughty:  

Anyway - what counts to me,  is that MIKA continues to make good music, and it really looks like he does! :yes:   I'm very excited to get a full album 15th June... :fisch:  :wub:

Love,love

me 

• Like 4