2015 - Caribana Festival - Crans-près-Céligny Switzerland 7 June 2015 - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

mari62

Switzerland is the first of many European gigs!   :swiss:

Looking forward to hearing from you :punk:

REPORTS

NANOU

Nanou part 2

TIIBET

MELYSSA

PICS

MELYSSA (in report)

VIDS

NANOU:

L'amour fait ce qu'il veut

Last Party

MELYSSA:
Big Girl

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OFFICIAL PICS

https://www.flickr.c...ibana-festival/

REVIEWS:

Caribana et Mika, «relax» dans leur succès

http://www.24heures..../story/29024819

INTERVIEW

http://www.24heures.ch/culture/caribana-mika-relax-succes/story/29024819

Né Michael Holbrook Penniman, l’Américano-libano-français est passé de découverte top tendance (beau gosse electro pop à la fraîche ambiguïté sexuelle) en performeur solide, assuré dans ses talents de chanteur-compositeur comme dans sa vie privée –

il a fait son coming out en 2012 et a milité pour le mariage pour tous, en France. Il a déjà quatre disques en poche, dont le nouveau, No Place in Heaven, qui sort cette semaine.

Icône d’une génération au postmodernisme décomplexé où Elton John rencontre Coldplay, l’eurodance eighties et la mode parisienne, il n’a pas mégoté sur ses apparitions romandes, lui qui s’est assuré un succès massif en territoires francophones –

et au Japon, comme un reportage de TF1, tout mouillé de pleurs nippons, en témoignait ce week-end.

La fantaisie de Mika, illustrée à Caribana par des panneaux dessinés, des baskets d’un bleu scintillant et un veston aux patchs à la ringardise tendance, séduit largement.

post-18723-0-70837600-1433708613_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-43982900-1433708615_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-10464500-1433708617_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-26195100-1433708619_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-53261200-1433708620_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-04701300-1433708622_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-68242500-1433708623_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-69377400-1433708624_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

http://www.24heures.ch/culture/caribana-mika-relax-succes/story/29024819

Né Michael Holbrook Penniman, l’Américano-libano-français est passé de découverte top tendance (beau gosse electro pop à la fraîche ambiguïté sexuelle) en performeur solide, assuré dans ses talents de chanteur-compositeur comme dans sa vie privée –

il a fait son coming out en 2012 et a milité pour le mariage pour tous, en France. Il a déjà quatre disques en poche, dont le nouveau, No Place in Heaven, qui sort cette semaine.

Icône d’une génération au postmodernisme décomplexé où Elton John rencontre Coldplay, l’eurodance eighties et la mode parisienne, il n’a pas mégoté sur ses apparitions romandes, lui qui s’est assuré un succès massif en territoires francophones –

et au Japon, comme un reportage de TF1, tout mouillé de pleurs nippons, en témoignait ce week-end.

La fantaisie de Mika, illustrée à Caribana par des panneaux dessinés, des baskets d’un bleu scintillant et un veston aux patchs à la ringardise tendance, séduit largement.

thank you so much Eriko!

Hellooooooooo :)

It's late so I'm not going to write a full report yet as there is so many great things to say about today's gig ;)

But here are 2 vids I've taken to help you wait until people wake up and come here to tell you all how great the gig was ^^

l'amour fait ce qu'il veut : https://youtu.be/E2hDWf8ViEU

Last Party: https://youtu.be/9lztSG2fe9c

My first impressions are basically: really great audience, really great show, really hot weather and really fun day :)

Edited by Nanou
  • Like 4

It's late so I'm not going to write a full report yet as there is so many great things to say about today's gig ;)

But here are 2 vids I've taken to help you wait until people wake up and come here to tell you all how great the gig was ^^

l'amour fait ce qu'il veut : https://youtu.be/E2hDWf8ViEU

Last Party: https://youtu.be/9lztSG2fe9c

My first impressions are basically: really great audience, really great show, really hot weather and really fun day :)

Thanks for the videos :D

l'amour fait ce qu'il veut : https://youtu.be/E2hDWf8ViEU

Last Party: https://youtu.be/9lztSG2fe9c

Thanks for sharing vids!

Good to hear that gig was great :thumb_yello:  I'll be patient :)

Just a few words before heading off to my morning flight (it's 4 am). Took several pics and vids, will share them later.

A very good show, imo, especially considering he has been ill. I was expecting a bit shorter set set as it was a festival and as he wasn't totally well a few days ago but he did a full set, skipping GG and GW but adding the lovely China Boy song (first time I heard it live). He must have been still tired but the audience was great (better than an average festival audience) which helped a lot.

I had my husband with me and he really enjoyed the gig as well. A lot of fans there, was good to see everyone again! :)

Edited by tiibet
  • Like 5

I'll wait to be home and have a decent screen and keyboard to try a report (short version:awesome) but in the wait :

A very tiny part of Popular (I was a bit too close to the sound system,so it saturates, sorry)

Popular Song :

And another angle on the little cherry on top of the gicantic cake:

L'Amour fait ce qu'il veut:

Edited by Melyssa
  • Like 1

Sooooooo, 

I loved this gig so so so so much.

I loved so many things, I'll tell you about them later (aka in a few days) when the two girls that are staring my screen right now are finally gone. 
I have some pics as well, I'll trade them for a vid of Boum Boum Boum (amazing with that piano) and a pic of confetti, taken from the audience being among them. 
Come on, it's a fair bargain :biggrin2: 

Please :tears:

Edited by Elwendin

I'm back  :P

Sooo here is my little review of yesterday's gig  :)

Kate and I had a very relaxed morning as we've been in Biel on saturday evening to see Muse (which was brilliant too btw) and went to Caribana only around 3pm. So I can not really share any queuing story etc, as we did not queue at all  :teehee:

We found a good spot for the gig at the very back but as the place was on a little hill you could see the stage pretty well from anywhere. The gig started with Toy Boy. As much as I thought this was a perfect way to open the concerts in Montreal, I'm not convinced at all about starting a festival gig that way... Luckily he sang Popular right after and the audience directly got into the mood for the rest of the show. It's one of the things I love about Mika coming here, the audience is always very responsive  :thumb_yello:

The setlist was smthg like: Toy Boy, popular, GK, Blue Eyes, Billy Brown, Talk about you, BG, underwater, Relax, TOOL, Boum boum boum, Last Party, HE, Elle Me Dit, WAG, LT and L'amour fait ce qu'il veut and Lollipop as encores. I may have forgotten one song or another but basically it was a quite "long" show regarding it was a festival and Mika was ill only a few days ago. His voice was great, even though you could hear he was not at his top form, mostly when he spoke between the songs actually. He did speak quite a lot, joked many times about quite everything coming to his mind, etc... and I thing he was in a quite good mood which was great to see (and to hear ^^). 

The weather was very HOT so we were all kind of wet but it was worth it. The show was very good, with a good mood and I loved it! It was great to be at the back also because qe could see Mika and the audience and the great interaction there was between them. He made people sing and dance many times and it worked out pretty well. There were a lot of children too, as it was "family day" at the festival and I was a bit scared to have to fight with agressive parents who wants their child to see the show no matter how many people can't see anything behind them but in the end everyone was very polite and quite rescpectful to other people around them. The place was really packed, I think smthg like 5'000 or 6'000 people. It's not that much but as the place was very small it's a lot of people in the end but the atmosphere was very relaxed and happy.

These are my first impressions, basically  ;)

We did not get the chance to see him after the gig but there were so many people waiting for him that I'm not that much desappointed. It would have been a massive mess anyway  :doh:

• Like 2

It's been years since I haven't reviewed a gig. Let's hope it's like bicycle.

cariba11.jpg

Would I want to be quick, I could just resume the thing by a series of meaningless screams like aaahgaaagaaahh bouiillaaahagaaa !

But it would be a bit lazy.

So I'll try to get a bit deeper - note that I said try. Note too that I am approximately 0% rational and 100% emotional about it - sorry in advance. Also, french speaking girl trying to type in english at 1am: even more sorry.

General impression first: *meaningless screams* YES! It was so good. For everything, the head, the heart, the body ( well, considering the state of my body on the next morning I am not sure it'll agree but still) . I am currently having quite a rough time in life and this definitely is the best therapy ever.

I am not gonna learn anything to most of you by saying that a Mika gig isn't just a gig, it's 1h40 during which you just forget reality, you escape self-consciousness, you're just happy and a bit crazy...

... but when the gig is under daylight you realise how much you just look like nothing :roftl: (doesn't keep your from freeing yourself tho. It's just quite funny :excite: )

Daylight also changes things for Mika, who quickly comments "that's great, I can see you for real, it doesn't happen usually! '' And quite right he'll please himself by chatting even with those far away, including the kid who, God knows how, had ended up hanged by the arms on a wall and who have now been renamed Spiderman by the Boss " poor him, he doesn't even know how he ended up hanged in here! hey Spiderman you okay? Are you gonna dance?''. Also of course lots of eyes contacts and funny interactions, all those little things that so easily makes you ridiculously happy.

But I am being too quick, let's get back to the beginning of the day, which started well with the one who didn't want to wake up (wasn't me), the one who was sick (wasn't me) and the one who managed to lock the opening card of her safe INSIDE the safe (that one was me :winner_first_h4h: ) but it finally turned up well and we managed to get here before the end of the month. By the way here I'd like to say how nice the festival guys were, they kept giving us free bottles of water even hours before the official opening, they put big umbrellas to give us shadow and they even gave us access to toilets which I think were staff reserved. So, you know, yay them. They actually kept forcing us to take free bottles all day ( it was so hot and sunny I think they were scared of dehydration dramas) and so in the end I left the festival with 4 non opened bottles that had found their way in my bag without me noticing it :shocked: ("oh, that's why I found it far more heavy than this morning! I just thought I was tired" *baf*). Another fantastic thing other festivals should steal: the first row barrier wrapped in foam: not only it makes it very comfortable to sleep on in between two shows but you bounce like crazy without hurting yourself when jumping, This Is Cool. (Also as I am on it let's add a beautiful lake near every stage: going for a little bath in between two artists is awesome).

The clock will soon strike 4 and comes the moment when moving from your spot will become complicated, so I keep myself busy by doing some before/after pics of the audience.

cariba12.jpg

cariba13.jpg

And I become very interested by the stage preparation, because this set is even more fun and mad and colorful for real

cariba27.jpg

cariba26.jpg

my preeeeciouuus

cariba14.jpg

And then of course I laugh stupidly (like every one must have at least once, admit it) when watching the guy adjusting the mic at Mika's size by planting it in the middle of his forehead :lmfao: .

And then all of a sudden, as it is just tea time and so you're absolutely not ready in your head, the Toy Boy is here in his heart suit, standing in front of you... I still think that Toy Boy is a curious choice for an opening, it makes the audience a bit undecided about the direction they are supposed to take... but I finally decide quite quickly that it suits me well, as so I have a bit of contemplation time before it goes mad. And contemplating I am indeed :fangurl:

cariba16.jpg

cariba17.jpg

Just four minutes of calm before the storm, and then let's bring saxophones and jump in this dancing version of Popular Song on which I am still amazed to have so much fun, but turns out I love this version of it. How he is squirming on stage, he looks like a piece of rubber - but a very sexy piece of rubber :biggrin2:

Then Grace Kelly makes its come-back. He just takes the time to say hello before jumping on top of the piano , the body flying in the air while the voice is here, and very here. About that it was curious tho: right, there were some glitches but on a general way his singing voice was really great. Problems were more when he was talking ... Anyway, back to jumping on the piano: Oh God this is so good.

cariba19.jpg

And now let's go straight to the other end of the singles line with Talk about you, which in fact is very good when live. Really that's completely a stage song in fact! ( I could also say now that Boum Boum Boum takes benefice from the stage too, even if it's less spectacular than TAY. Appart from this piano intro which is a killer)

A bit later the man decides to become a prophet and try to communicate live with God. Instead of telling you I'm gonna show you- complement of information: it had begun to rain like 1 minute before (only three drops for 5 minutes though, it was more a relief than a problem, those few drops of fresh water)

->

"Dear Lord. Hear my little prayer. You've created a lot of people tall and skinny, skinny and miserables. Like me. Wandering in search of something to eat. Endlessely. And I realised there is a solution for all this misery, dear Lord. And so, this afternoon, here, by the lake, listen to our little prayer. ... No thunder, no rain, nothing, He absolutely doesn't care (people shouting "it's raining!") - (to someone in the audience) No but you're not God, you! "

All this for Big Girl, on which he starts the singing contest left vs right. Thing is, a lot of people when they arrived stayed near the entrance so there was much more people on one side than on the other... but surprisingly the "little" side made so much noise that he stepped back of surprise "Seriously you're twice as much as them and you look completely ridiculous next to them!" (proud roars from the winning side) "Yeah, don't push it too much, now you are in danger because they REALLY are twice as much a you!"

Now that we used the last 4 or 5 songs to get 10 litres of water out of our body, let's have some peace with Underwater. He is soaking wet but the voice is here, while you are vaguely thinking about splitting out one of your lungs xd. A bit of magic while he asks us to sing with him, guiding us with his hands... and those soap bubbles coming out of the audience to come and fly in front of him, that was so beautiful...

cariba20.jpg

cariba21.jpg

... aaand the jumping monkeys are back as comes Elle me dit, now available in a multilingual version :mfr_lol:

->

I'm gonna loose the chronology to talk about the bottle story, as I don't remember when it was. Not that it is especially fascinating but as it is still in my head let's put it here . It basically went that way ''I don't know what it is but it's disgusting" (he's talking about what's inside his bottle. It's red and not really inspiring). "I swear it is not alcool, but it's not fruit juice either. You want it? Why are you saying yes I just said it was disgusting! Well okay, have it I'll stick with water'' *throws the red disgusting bottle in the audience*

As I am in the "very interesting not interesting anecdotes" area, comes too the story of the towel, when he takes it for the first time and see how pink it is (imagine a big bright flashy pink. It was pinker). And then he starts to smell it. Because it smells good, you see. "We weren't allowed of that when kids, because my mum being very lebanese has a philosophy "if it smells good it'll give you cancer!" And now every thing smells very good in my house", he adds with a mischievous smile.

Back to songs, let's talk about the holy trinity, with Origin of Love which almost killed half of the front rows (and probably the back too but I couldn't see it) because what a slap, Last Party where I was completely in a trance, just standing there open mouthed forgetting to breathe for five minutes (I love how it explodes in the end...) and Happy Ending on which I just opened the floodgates and let it all out. Especially as, dunno why, I wasn't expecting Happy ending. Fatal mistake :tears: .

cariba22.jpg

Ultimate let go on Love today when you know the end is coming and he orders "On count of 4, you don't care about those around you, you forget any self-consciousness and you dance like crazy". Yes, sir, believe me I obeyed to the letter while in the same time happily drowning under this rain of confettis... that moment which is only for seconds and on the same time stretches out to infinity, when all you can see is colors floating around you by millions and you dance like nothing else in the world exists...

... and all of a sudden it was all over.

Except it wasn't.

cariba23.jpg

I'm never completely sure of recalls during festivals, timing issues being involved, but as he had thrown two songs out of his setlist he probably was still on time and made amend for the absence of Good Guys (we had it during soundcheck, makes it even more frustrating) and Good Wife by the unexpected incoming of L'amour fait ce qu'il veut. But before he had to make part of his band learn it in 35 seconds, and so it was half a mess but it was great :aah: .

I like the music, even if I am less enthousiastic about the lyrics. But fact is I didn't care, he could have sung train station announcements (yes, I typed this review mostly on the train xD) that I would have been happy, as I was already on cloud nine.

And the final candy, here comes Lolipop, and as hard as I wished for it never to end, it still hit its final note far too soon.

cariba24.jpg

This time it's over for good. And it is still very early :shocked: . Still floating we go for a last visit to the lake - no but really, a lake near every stage from now on, it is not so much to ask!

cariba25.jpg

Edited by Melyssa
  • Like 3