'Rio' Song and Lyrics Discussion

I feel like that changes the tone of the song a bit. Lines that sound self-deprecating come off as passive-aggressively vicious.  :naughty:

I thought it was all a bit "later loser!" right from the get go. Maybe because the line "say goodbye to me-oh" reminds me so much of "if you're on the shore then you're sure not me-oh" from I'm on a Boat Bitch - where two of the Lonely Island guys take T-Pain on a yacht and leave the third guy to make photocopies in an office. :naughty:

I feel like that changes the tone of the song a bit. Lines that sound self-deprecating come off as passive-aggressively vicious. :naughty:

Funny, when I first heard it, to me the song was about freedom and leaving your old life behind you because you feel trapped in it. So I took the leaving in a very positive way. Don't know what that says about me, actually. To excuse myself, that was before I listened to the lyrics more carefully and heard Mika's comments about the song. But I still think he also wanted to express a positive feeling about leaving things behind and choosing for yourself. Even if it makes the people you left unhappy. Thats why it's the other side of the story. And I think Mika left quite some things behind as well (old band members/ his boyfriend when he recorded TOOL), so he certainly knows that side. Therefore I don't see the passive aggresive tone. But as Manon said wisely: music can be interpreted in many different ways, that's the nice thing about it. Edited by Pascale
  • Like 1

Funny, when I first heard it, to me the song was about freedom and leaving your old life behind you because you feel trapped in it. So I took the leaving in a very positive way. Don't know what that says about me, actually. To excuse myself, that was before I listened to the lyrics more carefully and heard Mika's comments about the song. But I still think he also wanted to express a positive feeling about leaving things behind and choosing for yourself. Even if it makes the people you left unhappy. Thats why it's the other side of the story. And I think Mika left quite some things behind as well (old band members/ his boyfriend when he recorded TOOL), so he certainly knows that side. Therefore I don't see the passive aggresive tone. But as Manon said wisely: music can be interpreted in many different ways, that's the nice thing about it.

I always thought of it as kind of freeing too. And not necessarily in a romantic way, more in a, I can't stand who I've become so I need a fresh start, way.

• Like 1

I always thought of it as kind of freeing too. And not necessarily in a romantic way, more in a, I can't stand who I've become so I need a fresh start, way.

I definitely also see that in the song, in addition to the snarkiness (which it's entirely possible I'm projecting onto it, since I myself tend to be passive-aggressive and bitter  :teehee: )

• 6 months later...

Funny, when I first heard it, to me the song was about freedom and leaving your old life behind you because you feel trapped in it. So I took the leaving in a very positive way. Don't know what that says about me, actually. To excuse myself, that was before I listened to the lyrics more carefully and heard Mika's comments about the song. But I still think he also wanted to express a positive feeling about leaving things behind and choosing for yourself. Even if it makes the people you left unhappy. Thats why it's the other side of the story. And I think Mika left quite some things behind as well (old band members/ his boyfriend when he recorded TOOL), so he certainly knows that side. Therefore I don't see the passive aggresive tone. But as Manon said wisely: music can be interpreted in many different ways, that's the nice thing about it.

Exact same omg! I feel like that indicates my willingness/longing to start a new life and leave my past and mistakes behind