MIKA in UK & Ireland Press - 2015

dcdeb

Well said! :thumb_yello: I agree with everything you've mentioned here.  What I'd really love to see is the reviewer's face if/when he sees this! :naughty:

Exactly.  I actually quite like Robbie Williams but his music should not be compared to Mika, their styles are really very different.  I agree, Mika has every right to be himself; there is absolutely nothing wrong with being individual.  I also wish there was more promotion of the new album in Germany for you - it is a shame how many critics are permanently stuck in 2007.

thanks!  :) i'm sure it probably won't change anything but i'm glad i said it, although the person did change Gene Kelly to Grace Kelly

Edited by MaryElizabethhB
  • Like 1

Thank you and agreed - the review felt like less of an informed review and more of the reviewer just whining about the past because they can't roll with the present. Quite unprofessional. That's what I take the most issue with I think, not that it's a bad review, every artist gets those and we all know Mika doesn't seek validation from everyone, it's the way this one was written. If you don't like something, that's fine, but try and be intelligent about getting your opinion across, at least that way even if people don't agree with you they can still respect you.

Exactly!  :thumb_yello:

and well said Mary Elisabeth, you rocks  :wink2:  :clap:

why thank you hon, what can i say it just comes naturally  :naughty:

I've just wrote a massive comment. If you care to read it here it is:

The problem I have with this review is it comes off as extremely biased. It’s trying to speak for all of his fans saying “this isn’t the Mika we want” and “we want this from him and that from him” when that’s an incredibly unfair and untrue thing to say. Just because you’re stuck in 2007 it doesn’t mean the rest of us are. I’m not trying to speak for the entire fanbase either because like I stated, that would be irresponsible, but being a part of said fanbase and knowing tons of other fans, reading what people are saying online from all over the world, seeing the reactions on video from countless gigs and TV shows, thus far I can say without doubt that overall everyone seems to appreciate this new album and this new Mika. Personally, I’m glad he’s not 2007 Mika anymore. Doing the same thing over and over and over is destructive for an artist in so many ways. I always believed he was more than campy, over-the-top, flamboyant pop music (as people such as yourself always love to label him as). He’s a true artist, and with that comes a multi-faceted creative personality, a flexibility and innate hunger to transform oneself and push your own boundaries; an eagerness to grow and evolve. Something that you and every other narrow-minded listener seems to lack. I have enjoyed watching Mika evolve, I have enjoyed what his music has become and moreover I am proud of the person and artist he has become. You make it sound like him being more open and honest in his music is a bad thing, but I couldn’t disagree more. It’s an inspiring example of self-examination of one’s life, an understanding of oneself, and a willingness to put it out there for others to hear. My life motto is “you never know who needs to hear your story” which is why I also make a point to be honest with others and unafraid/unashamed to share. I think despite whether you feel this openness on the album worked or not (for you) you can’t deny the fact that it is something to be applauded. Also, whether you realize it or not he has always been this way. Even the “big camp” songs you love so much are biographical and intensely personal. The only difference is now it’s a more straight-forward message without distraction or disguise. This is the new Mika: the person who knows who he is and isn’t afraid of it. It’s a Mika who I believe to be quite admirable and capable of anything. Maybe you should have listened a little closer before calling him a Robbie Williams wannabe, because I can tell you for a fact he’s not trying to be anything or anyone but himself. But if you can’t handle this Mika maybe it is better for you to stay in your protective 2007 bubble. As for the rest of us, we’ve moved on. Also, his big hit was “GRACE Kelly”, not “Gene Kelly”. For someone who seems so stuck on that phase of Mika’s career, you’d think you would know what the song is called.

I could have said more but I ran out of steam. I think this is ranty enough and gets my points across.

Brilliant job :thumb_yello:

So I posted a follow-up comment because I'm feeling extra sassy and impassioned today to speak my mind and there were things I didn't touch on that I felt are important to say so here's chapter 2 in my comment novel:

Just a follow up to my last comment because I forgot to touch on this and I feel it’s important:

From a review standpoint this comes across as unprofessional and lacking quite a bit in terms of being an informed writer. There is no statement of this being your opinion as in “in this reviewer’s opinion…” or the like, there is only diverting responsibility for your views onto everyone else and trying to speak for them, which I can tell you, unless you possess supernatural powers or come from another planet where you are able to get inside someone’s head and use their voice, you can’t do. You are only speaking for you, please make that clear and don’t assume everyone else feels the same way.

I don’t know if you are actually a fan/follower of Mika or not, but it certainly does not come across as such. Believe it or not there are a lot of people who actually don’t think Grace Kelly is his best song nor is it their favorite. Constantly going back to it as the prime example of his best work or how he should be making his music just proves how out of touch you are with who he is as a person and artist.

Lastly, I just have to make clear that I don’t ever comment on these kinds of things. Everyone gets negative reviews, not everyone is going to like your work and that’s fine. We all have the right to an opinion. However, what drove me to comment was the fact that this “review” came across as nothing more than someone complaining about why Mika isn’t making the same music he did in 2007 or why he sounds like other artists. Firstly, if his older music is what you like, listen to that. It’s fine to not like his newer stuff but don’t blindly bash it just because it’s not to your taste. Secondly, just because one song sounds like another it doesn’t mean the artist is copying or trying to be like someone else. Your favorite go-to Grace Kelly actually talks about this and the fact that the music industry loves to compare because it can’t handle anything original. Mika has never been someone you can put in a box. Yes he has derived influence from other artists, he has said so himself, but that doesn’t mean he’s trying to be like them. I don’t understand why music can’t just be enjoyed for what it is or why artists can’t be inspired by one another and it be left at that instead of it becoming this childish drama fueled thing of “oh he’s just trying to be like this person…” We really need to stop that kind of thinking. Thirdly, and this is the most important point I need to make, if you are a reviewer you have to be informed, you have to be objective, and you have to have evidence to back your opinions. In this article there is no evidentiary support given to substantiate your claims as to why this is a poor album. There is no depth, only someone bitterly espousing that they think this album sucks. I do not agree with anything you said but if you had presented it in a way in which I could understand and that didn’t insult the people who like Mika and the album in the process, I at the very least could have respected you for it. Maybe something to think about for future reviews.

I promise I'm done now  :teehee: 

• Like 3

Reactions reviewer about comments :mf_rosetinted:

@musiceyz Wow the @mikasounds fans are really hating on our view on his new album. What do you think? musiceyz.co.uk/2015/07/01/no-… #Good or #Bad 3 hours ago

attention seeking, drama motivated, unprofessional behavior. i said what i said, i'm glad i said it, and i'm done. i can't take this website or reviewer seriously. it was worth it to get the point across but these people are so not worth any real time, thought, or energy. won't affect the innumerable amount of people who like him and the album. he's already gained tons more fans just from the GMA performance. plus like i said, i wasn't commenting because they wrote something negative about Mika, it's because it was a piss poor excuse for a review and could have been presented much better. it was just my way of being like hey anyone reading this, think for yourselves and don't listen to someone who thinks they have the right or ability to speak for an entire population of people. if they listen to it and still don't like it, that's cool, at least they reached that conclusion on their own. anyway, that's what my motivation was with posting those comments which i hope comes across (i was a wee bit irritated whilst writing them, couldn't be helped).

and i'm glad we all spoke up about this. won't mean anything to the person who wrote it or the website, other than fueling their fire, but we used our voices for good as opposed to the reviewer  :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

I'm proud of everyone who commented. The reviewer probably won't change his narrow-mind, but at least people going onto the site will read the comments, and may check out the album. They will see that Mika is still loved by his fans, but not in a blind way, rather, in an informed way, because all of the comments are thoughtful. They are not saying that everyone should love the album, but accepting that not everyone will do so, while also pointing out that it's okay not to like it, but don't disrespect Mika or compare him to other people.

So, in a way, this is more publicity for Mika. Well done to us!

Edited by Marilyn Mastin
  • Like 1

I'm proud of everyone who commented. The reviewer probably won't change his narrow-mind, but at least people going onto the site will read the comments, and may check out the album. They will see that Mika is still loved by his fans, but not in a blind way, rather, in an informed way, because all of the comments are thoughtful. They are not saying that everyone should love the album, but accepting that not everyone will do so, while also pointing out that it's okay not to like it, but don't disrespect Mika or compare him to other people.

So, in a way, this is more publicity for Mika. Well done to us!

My thoughts exactly  :thumb_yello:

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like a new blog review - and from what I can tell it's from the UK.

https://marcyb0y.wordpress.com/2015/07/21/mika-no-place-in-heaven-album-review/

Mika – No Place in Heaven Album Review

cover600x600.jpeg?w=450&h=450

Any mention of Mika usually results in association with his smash début single ‘Grace Kelly’. It’s hard to believe that it’s been eight years since ‘Grace Kelly’ topped the chart in the UK and multiple other countries around the world. Certainly, accompanying album, ‘Life in Cartoon Motion’ was also a huge success, spawning four top ten singles. Follow up album ‘The Boy Who Knew Too Much’ was also a success but lead single ‘We are Golden’ was its only real triumph with follow up singles bombing outside of the Top 40. 2012 saw the release of ‘The Origin of Love’, an imperceptible musical departure from previous albums but one which did signify greater maturity. The album limped into 24 in the UK album chart, hugely disappointing for an album worthy of a far better reception.

Spring forward to June 2015 and there is the surprise arrival of Mika’s latest offering, ‘No Place in Heaven’ which seemingly appeared out of no-where. Perhaps Team Mika should invest more on promotion and generating the buzz that first surrounded Mika at the beginnings of his career. Still, it has so far fared a little better than ‘The Origin of Love, peaking at number nineteen in the UK album chart.

‘No Place in Heaven’ is the classic Mika album, drizzled in camp abundance, littered with falsetto easy sing-along melodies, an over dependency on the bashing of piano keys, foot stomping percussion and containing more fun than a barrel of monkeys. It’s a return to the immaturity and simplicity of Mika’s first two albums, perhaps in a desperate attempt to regain some of his seemingly fading commercial magic. It’s an irresistibly catchy album full of well-written hooks, organic instruments and a strong vocal delivery from Mika as always; his extensive vocal range is certainly to be admired.

Album opener ‘Talk About You’ begins with a buzzing bass line before launching into a bouncy, buoyant pop-track with an irresistible melody. ‘All She Wants’ maintains the party atmosphere with ‘Mickey’-esque cheerleader hand claps, rich and layered harmonies and a rousing chorus. The album briefly visits the 1960’s with the springy and flamboyant ‘Oh Girl You’re The Devil’ whilst it all goes a bit Fleetwood Mac on ‘Rio’ It’s the up-tempo tracks which are most effective on this album; the ballads remove the fizz and energy of the album aside from the lovely ‘Good Guys’.

It feels like Mika is having a whale of a time and rightly so. He’s delivered a fine album, a master-class in song-writing as always and more than proves his worth. It’s not quite as robust as ‘Life in Cartoon Motion’ or as consistent as ‘The Origin of Love’ but it’s an admirable pop album which proves our UK artists are still something to be very much proud of.

Rating: 4/5.

‘No Place in Heaven’ is available now on Casablanca records.

• Like 2

This looks like a new blog review - and from what I can tell it's from the UK.

https://marcyb0y.wordpress.com/2015/07/21/mika-no-place-in-heaven-album-review/ Mika – No Place in Heaven Album Review

cover600x600.jpeg?w=450&h=450

Any mention of Mika usually results in association with his smash début single ‘Grace Kelly’. It’s hard to believe that it’s been eight years since ‘Grace Kelly’ topped the chart in the UK and multiple other countries around the world. Certainly, accompanying album, ‘Life in Cartoon Motion’ was also a huge success, spawning four top ten singles. Follow up album ‘The Boy Who Knew Too Much’ was also a success but lead single ‘We are Golden’ was its only real triumph with follow up singles bombing outside of the Top 40. 2012 saw the release of ‘The Origin of Love’, an imperceptible musical departure from previous albums but one which did signify greater maturity. The album limped into 24 in the UK album chart, hugely disappointing for an album worthy of a far better reception.

Spring forward to June 2015 and there is the surprise arrival of Mika’s latest offering, ‘No Place in Heaven’ which seemingly appeared out of no-where. Perhaps Team Mika should invest more on promotion and generating the buzz that first surrounded Mika at the beginnings of his career. Still, it has so far fared a little better than ‘The Origin of Love, peaking at number nineteen in the UK album chart.

‘No Place in Heaven’ is the classic Mika album, drizzled in camp abundance, littered with falsetto easy sing-along melodies, an over dependency on the bashing of piano keys, foot stomping percussion and containing more fun than a barrel of monkeys. It’s a return to the immaturity and simplicity of Mika’s first two albums, perhaps in a desperate attempt to regain some of his seemingly fading commercial magic. It’s an irresistibly catchy album full of well-written hooks, organic instruments and a strong vocal delivery from Mika as always; his extensive vocal range is certainly to be admired.

Album opener ‘Talk About You’ begins with a buzzing bass line before launching into a bouncy, buoyant pop-track with an irresistible melody. ‘All She Wants’ maintains the party atmosphere with ‘Mickey’-esque cheerleader hand claps, rich and layered harmonies and a rousing chorus. The album briefly visits the 1960’s with the springy and flamboyant ‘Oh Girl You’re The Devil’ whilst it all goes a bit Fleetwood Mac on ‘Rio’ It’s the up-tempo tracks which are most effective on this album; the ballads remove the fizz and energy of the album aside from the lovely ‘Good Guys’.

It feels like Mika is having a whale of a time and rightly so. He’s delivered a fine album, a master-class in song-writing as always and more than proves his worth. It’s not quite as robust as ‘Life in Cartoon Motion’ or as consistent as ‘The Origin of Love’ but it’s an admirable pop album which proves our UK artists are still something to be very much proud of.

Rating: 4/5.

‘No Place in Heaven’ is available now on Casablanca records.

Even though it seems favorable at the end it has this biting and bitter under layer. Which I don't like because it seems almost mocking...

Just catching up on this thread and am amazed at the reactions to these reviews. I don't hear any bitterness and mocking in the last review.

The one saying that Mika should have stayed away from the UK was a bit uncalled for and rather nonsensical but I am quite certain that there was no attempt by the reviewer to make Mika's fans look stupid and don't understand why anyone would think that. :blink: When he says "we want" he is obviously not talking about Mika's hardcore fans in Brazil or Germany or the US. He is talking about himself, possibly more generally British music consumers. Not members of MFC and not people who don't even live in the UK.

When he says Mika is "trying to be Robbie Williams" that is not literal. It is just a figure of speech and means Mika seems to be attempting to achieve anthemic ballads in the way that Robbie Williams has been so successful in doing.

This album is not perfect. In my opinion 1/3 of it is not good at all and I will never listen to these songs again if I can help it. But I can't discuss it in detail on MFC anymore as I did with the albums past because my writing style and my opinions are similar to those of the British media. I find it utterly bizarre that people take the opinion of someone they do not know who is not addressing them at all as some sort of personal insult because the opinion doesn't validate their own opinions and tastes.

If you want to think that Mika's album is a masterpiece and love it unconditionally go right ahead. But it doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't feel the same way is bitter and hurling insults at anyone who loves this album.

I will just go back to discussing the toilet song with my British and Canadian friends who find such things amusing because that's how many Brits and Canadians express themselves. And hopefully the British press will stop talking about Mika altogether so as not to upset fans in Timbuktu since that is the most important consideration here and not the fact that people in the UK media are actually listening to Mika's album and publicizing it. :rolls_eyes:

Even though it seems favorable at the end it has this biting and bitter under layer. Which I don't like because it seems almost mocking...

I don't agree that it's mocking at the end. I thought it was balanced and fair. I've left a comment, talking about how I believe Mika's record company have let him down and mentioning the songs which (I think) would have made better singles. If people read the comment, maybe they will look up the songs I mentioned, which are, Hurts, NPIH, Rio, Promiseland and Porcelain.

He's a bit like that guy on Radio 2 who wanted Mika to do a darker album. He does see Mika's worth. I'm sure of it.

It was that other reviewer who said Mika shouldn't come back to the UK, who I thought was really insulting.

Just catching up on this thread and am amazed at the reactions to these reviews. I don't hear any bitterness and mocking in the last review.

The one saying that Mika should have stayed away from the UK was a bit uncalled for and rather nonsensical but I am quite certain that there was no attempt by the reviewer to make Mika's fans look stupid and don't understand why anyone would think that. :blink: When he says "we want" he is obviously not talking about Mika's hardcore fans in Brazil or Germany or the US. He is talking about himself, possibly more generally British music consumers. Not members of MFC and not people who don't even live in the UK.

When he says Mika is "trying to be Robbie Williams" that is not literal. It is just a figure of speech and means Mika seems to be attempting to achieve anthemic ballads in the way that Robbie Williams has been so successful in doing.

This album is not perfect. In my opinion 1/3 of it is not good at all and I will never listen to these songs again if I can help it. But I can't discuss it in detail on MFC anymore as I did with the albums past because my writing style and my opinions are similar to those of the British media. I find it utterly bizarre that people take the opinion of someone they do not know who is not addressing them at all as some sort of personal insult because the opinion doesn't validate their own opinions and tastes.

If you want to think that Mika's album is a masterpiece and love it unconditionally go right ahead. But it doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't feel the same way is bitter and hurling insults at anyone who loves this album.

I will just go back to discussing the toilet song with my British and Canadian friends who find such things amusing because that's how many Brits and Canadians express themselves. And hopefully the British press will stop talking about Mika altogether so as not to upset fans in Timbuktu since that is the most important consideration here and not the fact that people in the UK media are actually listening to Mika's album and publicizing it. :rolls_eyes:

" toilet song" ????

I don't believe your writing style and your opinions are similar to the British media at all. They have different styles and opinions anyway. Not all think "that Mika should have stayed away a little bit longer".

Please feel free to discuss any Mika song in whatever way you like. I am very interested to hear what you have to say about them, either positive or negative comments. I'm not sure about some songs myself and I would love to discuss them although it probably all leads to nothing 'cause it's all about feelings in the end.

By the way I find it less interesting to start a discussion again about "negativity" and whether that's allowed or approved on MFC. I've read a lot of discussions about that subject and I think sometimes it made things more complicated. Let people have their say about bad reviews and when you don't agree, give your comments on their posts (like you did in your post). But don't make it a metadiscussion.

I understand you have a history here (which I don't), but why not try again and see what happens if there will be discussion about and critical comments on songs. But just about the songs and not about the style of the person who gives the comments or about the discussion itself.

Of course this is not to say that you shouldn't write about those things. I just did it myself. But I believe most things have been said about it and I would rather talk (in all possible ways) about the songs or the reviews or the gigs etc.

Any comment??? It can/ (may?) be as harsh or as "negative"  (=direct in your case) as you want. As if I could stop you anyway. :wink2:

Edited by Pascale

I felt this way too. I mean, he kind of called the album immature and desperate. 

I understand you have a history here (which I don't), but why not try again and see what happens if there will be discussion about and critical comments on songs. But just about the songs and not about the style of the person who gives the comments or about the discussion itself.

Because I know exactly what the response is going to be and I don't need the grief. The accusations of being a bad fan, of being a bully, of calling other fans stupid when I said no such thing, etc. If I had any doubts about that they are gone now, after reading the rants on that blog/review.

If you really want to discuss the songs maybe we could do it in private. :naughty:

I felt this way too. I mean, he kind of called the album immature and desperate.

Why can't one hold that opinion without being seen as bitter? Why can't one voice it without being accused of mocking? All I took away from that line is that this person hears a regression in Mika's work and is ascribing it to a desire to recapture his commercial success of the first 2 albums. It is a perfectly valid opinion whether one agrees with it or not. I don't think it was delivered in a mocking manner and I don't think the reviewer holds that opinion due to bitterness against Mika.

Because I know exactly what the response is going to be and I don't need the grief. The accusations of being a bad fan, of being a bully, of calling other fans stupid when I said no such thing, etc. If I had any doubts about that they are gone now, after reading the rants on that blog/review.

If you really want to discuss the songs maybe we could do it in private. :naughty:

Why can't one hold that opinion without being seen as bitter? Why can't one voice it without being accused of mocking? All I took away from that line is that this person hears a regression in Mika's work and is ascribing it to a desire to recapture his commercial success of the first 2 albums. It is a perfectly valid opinion whether one agrees with it or not. I don't think it was delivered in a mocking manner and I don't think the reviewer holds that opinion due to bitterness against Mika.

I agree. I don't think it was meant in a bad way. Anyway, an album has to sell to be successful, so it would be naive to think that Mika didn't have that in mind. However, what has come across from the few UK reviewers who aren't simply dismissing him just because they don't like his style, is that they realise he is a wonderful songwriter who could attempt to step out of the comfort zone of pop, and maybe write something darker, or maybe more classical. They wouldn't suggest things like that if they didn't think he had it in him.

To be honest, I've thought along those lines myself. He thinks of himself as a pop songwriter, but maybe it's time for a re-think. That's just my opinion of course, but to my mind, he isn't getting anywhere, anymore, by marketing himself as a popstar. He's a musician capable of so much more in terms of music, with such a vast musical knowledge about how things work together in a piece of music, so I'd love to see him go in a different direction as I don't think he'll ever get back to the earlier success of 2007. Even then, a lot of people begrudged him that success. 

I'd like to see him collaborate with more serious musicians. People, for instance, like Andre Reiu the violinist (not sure I spelled that right, but you know who I mean) someone like that. I'd like to see him take the experience of the Montreal orchestra, and build on it. I know he collaborated with some classical musicians on this album, but I think he would be wise to think of doing something more classical as an album next time.

This is only my own thoughts, but I do see where some of the reviewers are coming from, and I don't think it's negative.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Oh so much to say... Hope I make it through...

I don't agree that it's mocking at the end. I thought it was balanced and fair. I've left a comment, talking about how I believe Mika's record company have let him down and mentioning the songs which (I think) would have made better singles. If people read the comment, maybe they will look up the songs I mentioned, which are, Hurts, NPIH, Rio, Promiseland and Porcelain.

He's a bit like that guy on Radio 2 who wanted Mika to do a darker album. He does see Mika's worth. I'm sure of it.

It was that other reviewer who said Mika shouldn't come back to the UK, who I thought was really insulting.

1) I will address the mocking comment I made at the end of this as it ties all these posts together.

2) I am glad you left that comment. And that was one bit of snark in the article I was kind of happy to see.  :thumb_yello:

3) I didn't read that last review, sounds like a good thing.

He did, kind of. I'd like to think Mika is not desperate, based purely on the ways he has handled himself professionally over the years. The immaturity? Heck Mika owns up to that himself and I love it about him. We all need to embrass our inner child once in a while, it's what makes life worth living. :teehee: On that note: I will clarify exactly what I mean at the end of this post...

I am incredibly flummoxed right now. I feel like I hit some kind of button I didn't even know was there and now it's all... bad. I also really very seriously feel like other people's issues are being projected upon me, and that really makes me mad. I don't like being told how to feel any more than anyone else does, so to automatically jump to conclusions and make assumptions about how I might react to something based on past experiences with other people is pretty insulting and frustrating. Everyone has a right to their own feelings and opinions. Just because someone doesn't like something doesn't make them bad. Just like someone liking something doesn't make them foolish. I apparently have not seen that dark, bashing, side of the fans yet because so far everyone I've met with the exception of Christine has been fine sharing opinions and agreeing to disagree. So I'm sorry for whatever jaded you Christine, but please don't project that person's mean-ness on me. Actually it's pretty clear you shared your opinion except in a round about way so as to make it negative. That's not fair to you either. I wish you could feel comfortable sharing but it seems you won't so instead I will just apologize. I am sorry that you feel that way. I hope in the future you will remember this moment and realize I won't judge you for an unpopular opinion. Lord knows I have enough of them myself. Friends?  :dunno:

That said, like I've been saying, I'll address what I said again at the end here...

I agree. I don't think it was meant in a bad way. Anyway, an album has to sell to be successful, so it would be naive to think that Mika didn't have that in mind. However, what has come across from the few UK reviewers who aren't simply dismissing him just because they don't like his style, is that they realise he is a wonderful songwriter who could attempt to step out of the comfort zone of pop, and maybe write something darker, or maybe more classical. They wouldn't suggest things like that if they didn't think he had it in him.

To be honest, I've thought along those lines myself. He thinks of himself as a pop songwriter, but maybe it's time for a re-think. That's just my opinion of course, but to my mind, he isn't getting anywhere, anymore, by marketing himself as a popstar. He's a musician capable of so much more in terms of music, with such a vast musical knowledge about how things work together in a piece of music, so I'd love to see him go in a different direction as I don't think he'll ever get back to the earlier success of 2007. Even then, a lot of people begrudged him that success. 

I'd like to see him collaborate with more serious musicians. People, for instance, like Andre Reiu the violinist (not sure I spelled that right, but you know who I mean) someone like that. I'd like to see him take the experience of the Montreal orchestra, and build on it. I know he collaborated with some classical musicians on this album, but I think he would be wise to think of doing something more classical as an album next time.

This is only my own thoughts, but I do see where some of the reviewers are coming from, and I don't think it's negative.

It is very nice to see that they do think he has potential. Even this guy praised Origin of Love. It would be interesting to see him go in a different direction, but that road is so very very hard. Pop music is called pop for a reason, also I really think that's where his heart is. He already does it in such a unique way compared to other popstars. I really enjoy the layered-ness of some of the songs with the classical influence. It would be interesting to see him eventually, years in the future maybe? Do a kind of... best of, re-imagining, of some of his most well known songs in different styles. It's one of the reasons I like the Scott Bradlee's Post Modern Jukebox group.

Okay, here goes. Explanation time.

It is entirely possible that when I commented I explained myself very poorly. I went with the first thing in my mind and it was a poor choice of words. I did not mean that the reviewer was bitter, I meant that some of the words and phrases used had the same sort of connotation as tasting something bitter. I also do believe there was some mocking, but on re-reading it I believe it was mostly aimed at Mika's management. Kind of a "tsk tsk, you have this gold mine waiting why aren't you trying to work with it?" Over all I do believe the review was very good for Mika, it definitely complimented his talents, and even complimented his poorest performing album. That's definitely not someone who hates Mika, and sure, when it comes to Mika as a person, and his music, the review was very fair. I even agree with the vast majority of it. I do think there is a difference between TOOL and NPIH, clearly, as far as emotional maturity. But I also realize TOOL was largely done at a very dark time for him, so that can definitely influence things. I also agree with the reviewer that the ballads drag the record off tracks at times. And at the risk of finding out why Christine is so against voicing her opinion... I must say I am not that big a fan of Talk About You, I'm just not. Sure it feels sometimes like I could have written it about him, but after hearing the whole album all I can say to Mika's management is "wtf?" Oh well, and really the only "ballads" I like are "Good Guys" and "Good Wife." Although I don't see any of those as really ballads. Porcelain I cannot stand, I appreciate the lyric mostly, and the sentiment, but I am not a fan of his tone while singing it.

Now, all that said and explained I'm hoping we can all still be friends and agree to disagree on what songs are awesome and stuff, and agree that Mika is amazing and talented? Yes? Please? :nervous:  :pray:

Personally, I think this was a fairly good review, and I don't think the critic was mocking Mika intentionally.  After all, he gave the album 4/5, which is above average.  And this review was much fairer than the one that told him not to come back to the UK (that one was horrible :facepalm: ).  Besides, I didn't think Mika would get much more UK press, as this thread had been a bit quiet for a while.

Oh so much to say... Hope I make it through...

1) I will address the mocking comment I made at the end of this as it ties all these posts together.

2) I am glad you left that comment. And that was one bit of snark in the article I was kind of happy to see.  :thumb_yello:

3) I didn't read that last review, sounds like a good thing.

He did, kind of. I'd like to think Mika is not desperate, based purely on the ways he has handled himself professionally over the years. The immaturity? Heck Mika owns up to that himself and I love it about him. We all need to embrass our inner child once in a while, it's what makes life worth living. :teehee: On that note: I will clarify exactly what I mean at the end of this post...

I am incredibly flummoxed right now. I feel like I hit some kind of button I didn't even know was there and now it's all... bad. I also really very seriously feel like other people's issues are being projected upon me, and that really makes me mad. I don't like being told how to feel any more than anyone else does, so to automatically jump to conclusions and make assumptions about how I might react to something based on past experiences with other people is pretty insulting and frustrating. Everyone has a right to their own feelings and opinions. Just because someone doesn't like something doesn't make them bad. Just like someone liking something doesn't make them foolish. I apparently have not seen that dark, bashing, side of the fans yet because so far everyone I've met with the exception of Christine has been fine sharing opinions and agreeing to disagree. So I'm sorry for whatever jaded you Christine, but please don't project that person's mean-ness on me. Actually it's pretty clear you shared your opinion except in a round about way so as to make it negative. That's not fair to you either. I wish you could feel comfortable sharing but it seems you won't so instead I will just apologize. I am sorry that you feel that way. I hope in the future you will remember this moment and realize I won't judge you for an unpopular opinion. Lord knows I have enough of them myself. Friends?  :dunno:

That said, like I've been saying, I'll address what I said again at the end here...

It is very nice to see that they do think he has potential. Even this guy praised Origin of Love. It would be interesting to see him go in a different direction, but that road is so very very hard. Pop music is called pop for a reason, also I really think that's where his heart is. He already does it in such a unique way compared to other popstars. I really enjoy the layered-ness of some of the songs with the classical influence. It would be interesting to see him eventually, years in the future maybe? Do a kind of... best of, re-imagining, of some of his most well known songs in different styles. It's one of the reasons I like the Scott Bradlee's Post Modern Jukebox group.

Okay, here goes. Explanation time.

It is entirely possible that when I commented I explained myself very poorly. I went with the first thing in my mind and it was a poor choice of words. I did not mean that the reviewer was bitter, I meant that some of the words and phrases used had the same sort of connotation as tasting something bitter. I also do believe there was some mocking, but on re-reading it I believe it was mostly aimed at Mika's management. Kind of a "tsk tsk, you have this gold mine waiting why aren't you trying to work with it?" Over all I do believe the review was very good for Mika, it definitely complimented his talents, and even complimented his poorest performing album. That's definitely not someone who hates Mika, and sure, when it comes to Mika as a person, and his music, the review was very fair. I even agree with the vast majority of it. I do think there is a difference between TOOL and NPIH, clearly, as far as emotional maturity. But I also realize TOOL was largely done at a very dark time for him, so that can definitely influence things. I also agree with the reviewer that the ballads drag the record off tracks at times. And at the risk of finding out why Christine is so against voicing her opinion... I must say I am not that big a fan of Talk About You, I'm just not. Sure it feels sometimes like I could have written it about him, but after hearing the whole album all I can say to Mika's management is "wtf?" Oh well, and really the only "ballads" I like are "Good Guys" and "Good Wife." Although I don't see any of those as really ballads. Porcelain I cannot stand, I appreciate the lyric mostly, and the sentiment, but I am not a fan of his tone while singing it.

Now, all that said and explained I'm hoping we can all still be friends and agree to disagree on what songs are awesome and stuff, and agree that Mika is amazing and talented? Yes? Please? :nervous:  :pray:

What you say in your last part is the reason I left a comment on the last review. After all, it needs to be said that Mika's team have let him down. Like you, I believe the reviewer was talking about 'Team Mika', rather than Mika himself. I mentioned the songs which, I believe, could have been gold mines. in the hopes that people in the UK might look them up, because if all they have to go on is TAY, that's not good enough. As I spoke in my comment, about TAY, it's a fun summer song, but it doesn't bring anything new, to make people realise what he's capable of.

His heart is with pop music, I agree with that, and this album has some fantastic songs on it, that deserve to be heard, and be hits, but the problem is that people aren't buying his music anymore. As the guy on Radio 2 said. "He's just not fashionable anymore." That's deeply sad, but unfortunately it's true. Pop music has moved on, without Mika. I'm as gutted as anyone about it.

But I've always said that Mika is more than just a popstar. I would never say he should turn his back on his first love, Pop music, but if he branches out, does something in another genre, he could still make pop music as well, but the other stuff would help him keep going.

He has spoken of a musical. Suppose he wrote one for his next work. He could still write dancey-tunes, but within a musical format. Most of his songs would be great in musicals anyway.

There are ways around this dilemma. For Mika's sake, I hope he finds a way back. If he doesn't it would be such a waste.

I just realized I misspelled embrace as embrass. Lol. Oops. Any way, yes I think a musical would be an amazing thing coming from Mika. I see it as being some sort of mix of like, Rent, Wicked and Avenue Q.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. When I heard some of the songs from the OSM concerts I thought maybe Mika has missed his calling and should have gone down the Josh Groban route. Especially since he can write his own music which would set him apart from others who sing that type of music.

I think whatever he is interested in doing he should just commit to it 100%. I really liked the electronic music and the efforts to modernize his sound with TOOL but it seems like he abandoned it because it didn't work. For me it didn't quite work because he didn't go all the way with it and it's only Make You Happy, Stardust and Overrated that were proper electronic songs with modern mixes. I mean what is the point of collaborating with Pharrell if you're not going to come out with a Pharrell song at the end of it? It's all well and good blaming the record company for a weak lead single but why was the song weak in the first place? Of course they are going to place all their bets on a Pharrell collaboration. But Mika and Pharrell needed deliver something worth promoting ie a full blown Pharrell song and not a watered down version of what you would find on one of Mika's first 2 albums.

And with the French songs - I want to listen to bad 1970s-sounding French music like I want to undergo a root canal, but if this is what Mika wants to do why not commit to it by making an album of these songs instead of polluting what is ostensibly a modern pop album with them?

It feels to me at this point that the only market for Mika's album is people who like "Mika music" and not people who like modern pop or quasi-classical or dance or chansons, etc. "Mika music" is a very small niche to say the least and it will just get smaller as the years pass.

I am incredibly flummoxed right now. I feel like I hit some kind of button I didn't even know was there and now it's all... bad. I also really very seriously feel like other people's issues are being projected upon me, and that really makes me mad. I don't like being told how to feel any more than anyone else does, so to automatically jump to conclusions and make assumptions about how I might react to something based on past experiences with other people is pretty insulting and frustrating. Everyone has a right to their own feelings and opinions.

Err...I think the only projecting going on here is you projecting my comments onto yourself. :naughty: I specifically said I was referring to the comments on the blog. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear.

If I had any doubts about that they are gone now, after reading the rants on that blog/review.

The reason I referenced the blog is because people have said the same things to/about me (and others for that matter) in the past for the same reasons they are attacking the blogger. I am not projecting or imagining anything. It's all there in black and white.

I apparently have not seen that dark, bashing, side of the fans yet because so far everyone I've met with the exception of Christine has been fine sharing opinions and agreeing to disagree.

That is not true. Since they are not fine in sharing opinions people have deemed "negative" you are not going to hear about it. I am guessing you didn't know I felt that way until yesterday...non?

Actually it's pretty clear you shared your opinion except in a round about way so as to make it negative.

Well not really. What I had meant to say (and not sure that I did) is that I don't engage in detailed discussions about the songs I don't love. I think the only one I talked about was Porcelain.

I did not mean that the reviewer was bitter, I meant that some of the words and phrases used had the same sort of connotation as tasting something bitter.

:thumb_yello:

I also do believe there was some mocking, but on re-reading it I believe it was mostly aimed at Mika's management. Kind of a "tsk tsk, you have this gold mine waiting why aren't you trying to work with it?"

Think I agreed with this part more than anything else in that review (or any review). But also something I can't talk about on the forum in detail. :mf_rosetinted:

I must say I am not that big a fan of Talk About You, I'm just not.

It is a better song live. In many cases his great tracks aren't quite so great live but the reverse is also true.

Porcelain I cannot stand

Well we are in complete agreement there!